Supreme Court Emergency Decision To End All Firearm Permits Nationwide Gets Put Into Motion

Does anyone have more information on this case? I was completely blindsided by this news title and was working at the time and couldn't investigate it further. The article linked below just gives me a sense of deja vu because it sounds like that case in New York that essentially dismantled the discretionary system used in "may issue" states to deny permits to anyone it chose.

MSN
2A hardliners getting their panties in a knot over trivia? :dunno:

I think it is to allow anyone to carry without a permit. Bad idea I think.
So guys with long rap sheets of violent crimes, can carry, no questions asked ?

I thought the permit I have in my wallet, was to separate me (78 years never arrested) from those kind of guys.
You're dreaming. Those guys don't care about permits. They'll come after you with or without a permit.

You'll pardon me for saying so, but I don't need a permit to defend myself. It is my God given right to do that, not a privilege granted by government.

Government can stick its permits and rotate. They're worthless anyway, obviously they can't be enforced. Not when every Tom Dick or Harry can buy an unregistered piece on the local street corner for 100 bucks.

The difference between you and the bad guys is how you use your weapon, not whether you have one.

You're dreaming. Those guys don't care about permits. They'll come after you with or without a permit.

You'll pardon me for saying so, but I don't need a permit to defend myself. It is my God given right to do that, not a privilege granted by government.

Government can stick its permits and rotate. They're worthless anyway, obviously they can't be enforced. Not when every Tom Dick or Harry can buy an unregistered piece on the local street corner for 100 bucks.

The difference between you and the bad guys is how you use your weapon, not whether you have one.
Some bad guys may not be affected by permitting. Others might be. Not every bad guy knows who or where to buy an unregistered gun. Having permits can reduce the amount of guns in the wrong hands.

2A hardliners getting their panties in a knot over trivia? :dunno:
Those pesky Constitutional rights. If the firearm was illegally obtained the anti-Constitutional loons will ignore the criminal and moan about how we need more gun control. If the firearm is legal the anti-Constitutionalist will moan that we need more gun control. Of course the whole point is to restrict the rights of law abiding citizens.

Some bad guys may not be affected by permitting. Others might be. Not every bad guy knows who or where to buy an unregistered gun. Having permits can reduce the amount of guns in the wrong hands.
lol

The "wrong" hands.

lmao

You suddenly turned into a leftard? :p

I think it is to allow anyone to carry without a permit. Bad idea I think.
So guys with long rap sheets of violent crimes, can carry, no questions asked ?

I thought the permit I have in my wallet, was to separate me (78 years never arrested) from those kind of guys.
I felt the same way when Florida went to legal concealed carry without a permit. So far the change hasn’t seemed to make much difference.

I will still renew my carry permit as I live near a state border and will need it to legally carry in that state which has concealed weapons license reciprocity with Florida

I felt the same way when Florida went to legal concealed carry without a permit. So far the change hasn’t seemed to make much difference.

I will still renew my carry permit as I live near a state border and will need it to legally carry in that state which has concealed weapons license reciprocity with Florida

I think Florida has the best reciprocity of all of the permits. At one point I held 4 different licenses - WA, NV, FL & PA and as a result I was covered in about 31 or 32 states.

The benefit of having a permit, at least if you have my stats, is that the police can't arrest you for merely being armed.
I don’t think the cops are arresting people caught legally carrying concealed in Florida without a license. There are some requirements.

Snip

Additionally, the permitless concealed carry law only extends to individuals who meet the present criteria for concealed carry including:

1. Being a United States citizen;

2. Being at least 21 years of age;

3. And having no disqualifying felony convictions, no conviction for a crime relating to violence or drug abuse, and no misdemeanor charges for domestic violence.

Factors such as a history of drug or alcohol abuse, commitment to a mental institution, or dishonorable military discharge may also be reasons for concealed carry ineligibility.

However, the prior requirements including completion of an approved firearm training course, and demonstration of firearm competency will no longer be necessary.
Snip

Drug or alcohol abuse, commitment to a mental institution, or dishonorable military discharge may also be reasons for concealed carry ineligibility.

However, the prior requirements including completion of an approved firearm training course, and demonstration of firearm competency will no longer be necessary.

From that link:

After a merits-based determination, a district court of the Southern District of New York permanently enjoined a discretionary provision of the Rifle/Shotgun licensing scheme for New York City that requires non-prohibited individuals to prove to a government official that they possess ‘good moral character’ before they may lawfully possess rifles and shotguns for self-defense.

What crazed lunatic thought that would stand?
First, shall not be infringed trumps “good moral character”

Second, in NY Republicans are de facto not of “good moral character”

Third “…shall not be infringed” is self explanatory

Forum List

Back