How many of you guys were born Christians? How many converted to Christianity?

haha true

Sadly, not true at all. The Catholic Church teaches and follows the Bible better than any other sect. Catholic interpretation of the Bible carefully follows the teachings set forth by Christ and the Apostles--not the reinterpretation by Protestants fifteen hundred years later.

The glib recital of John 3:16 is a case in point. Notice Weatherman could not even explain what this means. He cannot define salvation. He cannot sum up his faith in his own words--which is the very essence of someone who does not follow or teach the Bible. He dismisses (or doesn't remember) that even Satan quoted scripture passages at Jesus, the perfect example of a being who can glibly quote scripture without following/teaching it.

Catholics who attend daily Mass (in my parish alone this is 150 people each day--and there are at least three other parishes within fairly quick driving distance of this parish with similar statistics) read through and are taught the entire Bible every year. Everyone else covers the entire Bible (readings and teachings) in a span of three years. For Catholics, John 3:16 isn't a facile, smug rattling off a single passage. It launches us in to the entirety of scripture--an entire scripture that is meant to be actually lived, not excerpts to be quoted as we live.

70% of Christians were born Christian, 30% were converts | Global Broadcasting Corporation (link to survey)
According to a popular research survery, 70% of Christians are born into Christianity, while the remaining 30% were converts.

Which one are you?

christ.gif

I thank God that I was born into a Christian Home. I'm a better person for it. But even if I hadn't been, I'd still have become a Christian. I could have been born in Communist Russia, and I still would have found God, because He has called me.

70% of Christians were born Christian, 30% were converts | Global Broadcasting Corporation (link to survey)
According to a popular research survery, 70% of Christians are born into Christianity, while the remaining 30% were converts.

Which one are you?

christ.gif

For born again evangelicals this can be a bit complicated. By their standards you aren't a Christian until you come to the age of accountability and say the sinners pray. So you can be born into a Christian home and convert at the age of 8. That might skew the intent of the poll because that kid might get counted twice.

Which one are you?

christ.gif
No one is born a Christian.
It's a personal choice made after the age of accountability.

This is what I was taught too. Are you Baptist? Pentacostal? or What is your religious background?

Everyone is born into which ever religion their parents are. How many grade school aged kids do you know who actually evaluate all the religions and decide which religious dogma they want to believe? None. They believe what their parents tell them.

The more pertinent question may be how many children explore the religion their parents present to them? This exploration, of course, must take place on a child-like level, but either the child finds something and continues on--or he finds nothing and religion fades from interest.

True, but most children are given only one possible religion. If that religion is an absolute waste in their mind, perhaps they might explore another when they are older, but more likely they just accept what they were taught as a kid. The idea that people normally just choose their religion based on their own informed beliefs is pretty dumb.

What if you evaluated all the religions in the world to find the one that was the most philosophically sound, psychologically helpful and most successful at humanitarian efforts, should you exclude the one you were born into when making that analysis? If so, wouldn't it be possible to be settling for the second best religion in existence?

Everyone is born into which ever religion their parents are. How many grade school aged kids do you know who actually evaluate all the religions and decide which religious dogma they want to believe? None. They believe what their parents tell them.

The more pertinent question may be how many children explore the religion their parents present to them? This exploration, of course, must take place on a child-like level, but either the child finds something and continues on--or he finds nothing and religion fades from interest.

True, but most children are given only one possible religion. If that religion is an absolute waste in their mind, perhaps they might explore another when they are older, but more likely they just accept what they were taught as a kid. The idea that people normally just choose their religion based on their own informed beliefs is pretty dumb.

What if you evaluated all the religions in the world to find the one that was the most philosophically sound, psychologically helpful and most successful at humanitarian efforts, should you exclude the one you were born into when making that analysis? If so, wouldn't it be possible to be settling for the second best religion in existence?

I doubt there have been more than a handful of people who have done that, and I can't speak to the validity of any choice they might make. All I can say is that since retirement, and the availability of the time needed to research my own religion, the more I study, the less reason I can find to believe what I have always accepted as fact.

I doubt there have been more than a handful of people who have done that, and I can't speak to the validity of any choice they might make. All I can say is that since retirement, and the availability of the time needed to research my own religion, the more I study, the less reason I can find to believe what I have always accepted as fact.
agreed thats true man

My mom was an atheist, my dad was a non-practicing Mormon.

I am a Baptist. I don't remember converting, I was a Christian from the moment I hit the ground. I chose my denomination when I was about 22 and was baptized then.

Raised Catholic.
Went Catholic light with Episcopal (hubby).
Now agnostic.

I find religions annoying.

The social aspects are phenomenal. Christians mobilize to help those in immediate
need faster than any other group of people on the planet.

Which one are you?

christ.gif

My parents and grandparents were Baptists and don't believe anybody is 'born' a Christian as it is a matter of free will and conscious acceptance, not an inborn thing. Don't know how many other sects think the same, and don't care.

It was the Baptists, by the way, who invented the premise of separation of church and state in the first place. By Dawkins' Dufuses 'reasoning' that means they have to be against the First Amendment now. Can't have any of that Evul Xian influence on anything, now can we? ....

Last edited:
b
Raised Catholic.
Went Catholic light with Episcopal (hubby).
Now agnostic.

I find religions annoying.

The social aspects are phenomenal. Christians mobilize to help those in immediate
need faster than any other group of people on the planet.
but what about the diamonds. where are they

I don't know what you mean by diamonds.

Which diamonds? Christians aren't nice people. Christians are good people. They will be hateful, mean and nasty towards you but will pull $1,000 out of their pocket and hand it to you if you need it.

I don't know what you mean by diamonds. Christians say mean things. Christians do phenomenal acts of kindness that is unmatched by any secular group.

Is it really what you say that matters or is it what you do that matters?

I don't know what you mean by diamonds.

Forum List

Back