How many of you guys were born Christians? How many converted to Christianity?

As Catholics we were told/taught (by the priests, nuns and in Sunday catechism schools) that eating meat on Friday was a mortal sin. The Catholic Church no longer teaches this. There is no discussion.

Hey...........I'm a Taoist, so I've got no dog in the Catholic fight.

I went to Catholic school for a year, and it was one of the strangest places I ever attended school.

Now, we have one Catholic justifying why their views of Catholicism are better than the views of the other Catholic.

Kinda like when an Episcopalian tries to tell a Lutheran why they are wrong in their interpretation of the Bible, and then using their dogma to justify why they are "better" or more "righteous" than the other.
I realize that is an exciting prospect, but it is not nearly so intricate or deep-reaching. This is over a single issue.

I went to Catholic school for a year, and it was one of the strangest places I ever attended school.
Indeed it is too. The school I went to the priest would punish you by turning his heavy ring round on his finger so the large stone was facing down in his palm and then slam his palm on the top of your head. Very nice the Catholics.

Indeed it is too. The school I went to the priest would punish you by turning his heavy ring round on his finger so the large stone was facing down in his palm and then slam his palm on the top of your head. Very nice the Catholics.

One of the strangest things I thought was having to go to church during school hours. Me? I never understood it.

However...............one of my better childhood memories was showing up at the cafeteria for breakfast (they served breakfast and lunch there), and getting one of their HUGE cinnamon rolls, freshly baked. And, one of the cooks had a really cool thing she did...............she would roll up money into some of the cinnamon rolls (plastic wrapped of course) and it was kinda like winning a lottery scratch off if you found a dollar in your roll.

Probably one of the reasons that even to this day, I love cinnamon rolls with frosting.

One of the strangest things I thought was having to go to church during school hours. Me? I never understood it.
It makes sense. They were there to teach you Catholicism ..... nothing more.

..... they served breakfast ..... ..... cinnamon rolls with frosting.
Cocaine?

Nope, this was the early 70's, and it hadn't hit the smaller towns yet. The frosting was home made cream cheese icing on inch and a half thick cinnamon rolls that were at least 6 inches across.

Probably some of the best that I've ever had.

Nope, this was the early 70's, and it hadn't hit the smaller towns yet. The frosting was home made cream cheese icing on inch and a half thick cinnamon rolls that were at least 6 inches across.

Probably some of the best that I've ever had.
Cinnamon rolls are standard, eaten best with a glass of milk and perhaps a smear of margarine over the top of them. But much, much better is lightly toasted bread slices, drenched in super thick layers of cinnamon laden with melted butter. You can even make it yourself.
drool.gif

Now, we have one Catholic justifying why their views of Catholicism are better than the views of the other Catholic.

Kinda like when an Episcopalian tries to tell a Lutheran why they are wrong in their interpretation of the Bible, and then using their dogma to justify why they are "better" or more "righteous" than the other.

It has nothing to do with "better." It's about accuracy. As a child, I was taught about refusing to observe days of fast and abstinence being a mortal sin as well. Along with examples of types of mortal sin, we were taught why/how a sin rose to the level of being mortal. That was all about defiant rebellion and hatred/rejection of God. This defiance/rebellion/hypocrisy could also be enacted by someone ordering a large, expensive lobster dinner on a day of abstinence. As I mentioned before, these days signify everyone standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the poorest members of the Church. We are then asked to give the money we saved to the poor.

Another example of "change": At one point cremation was considered a mortal sin, because the people who were having themselves cremated after death were doing so to deliberately announce their atheism and to claim there is no resurrection of the body. Now, especially if it is done for economic reasons, cremation is no longer considered a sin because there is no rebellion behind the act.

Intent matters, and it is all that matters, when it comes to mortal sin.

It has nothing to do with "better." It's about accuracy. As a child, I was taught about refusing to observe days of fast and abstinence being a mortal sin as well. Along with examples of types of mortal sin, we were taught why/how a sin rose to the level of being mortal. That was all about defiant rebellion and hatred/rejection of God. This defiance/rebellion/hypocrisy could also be enacted by someone ordering a large, expensive lobster dinner on a day of abstinence. As I mentioned before, these days signify everyone standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the poorest members of the Church. We are then asked to give the money we saved to the poor.

Another example of "change": At one point cremation was considered a mortal sin, because the people who were having themselves cremated after death were doing so to deliberately announce their atheism and to claim there is no resurrection of the body. Now, especially if it is done for economic reasons, cremation is no longer considered a sin because there is no rebellion behind the act.

Excuse me professor, is it a mortal sin to worship the lifeless work of human hands as if it was a god that could grant spiritual life to all those who eat it?

According to your Catholic teaching, how many times can you ignore being alerted to your error before it becomes a deliberate and defiant rebellion against divine law and demonstration of pure hatred for God?

Last edited:

Validating yet again the unBiblical teachings of the Catholic cult.

What I was trying to get across to you. Know why you have faith. And if something your church says or does is not supported by Scripture, find another church.

You steadfastly refuse to accept that the teachings by the Catholic Church are supported by scripture--or, even that I know why I have faith. This being the case, I determined we do not have a starting point for a meaningful discussion. Nor did I receive a response to my question of how you define salvation. That could have been a second launching point for a discussion. Your interest was in exchanging copy and paste scripture quotes. I explained I have no interest in playing scripture poker.
I am the only one quoting Scripture because I am doing what Peter told us to do. Despite my repeated requests for you to tell me where Catholic practices are supported in the Bible you can't support your faith as Peter said to do. You don't quote Scripture to support your beliefs and practices because it is not supported by Scripture. You're not doing what Peter told you to do.

Last edited:
I was born Roman Catholic. I credit them for now making me an atheist.
Ditto. Except that I became a devout agnostic. Why would anyone want to believe in devils with pitch forks for eternity just because you ate meat on a Friday? Oh, yeah! I forgot. God came down from the heavens and told the Pope to change that rule. I wonder if the devils with pitch forks got the memo and release all of those who've already been burning in hell these past 2 thousand and 16 years? Ya' think they're still sweating it out down there? After all, if eating meat on a Friday has been down-graded from a mortal sin to a venial sin then they probably burned enough already, right? Actually hell is probably warmer than Purgatory so they should at least been give a few credit chits to use at the celestial candy shop.

Mortal sin was never as simple as eating meat on Friday. To be a mortal sin, three criteria are in play. One must know it is a grave rebellion against God. One must willingly and with full consent commit the act as a rebellion against God. Fasting/not eating meat on Fridays was a Church discipline, a practice in obedience and a coming together in unity with the poor. Back in the day, the poor could rarely afford meat--that was a meal for the well-to-do. The point was to give up riches and give to the poor--to spend time walking hand-in-hand with them.

These things together put one in danger of mortal sin: Willing and consensual rebellion against God; selfishness of putting one's own pleasure before the great need of others; putting oneself above the plight of the poor was the mortal sin. There was no sin in simple forgetfulness--or not having anything else in the fridge.
Your definition of Mortal sin is unBiblical.
I took the pencil home from work. I know God said do not steal, yet I rebelled. My coworker needed that pencil later, I left him in need. It felt gratifying that I had the pencil, I had no concern the poor didn't have one.
Guess I'm going to hell according to the Catholic cult.

I am the only one quoting Scripture, despite my repeated requests for you to tell me where Catholic practices are supported in the Bible. You don't quote Scripture to support your beliefs and practices because it is not supported by Scripture. You're not doing what Peter told you to do.
Here is the problem. You are like one who insists that that football players must run the bases before they score. Until that person is willing to learn/understand actual football plays and you are willing to learn what Catholicism actually teaches, then you will never see that scripture in its entirety is Catholicism.

Cherry picking and spinning scripture in order to support dogmas created fifteen hundred years after Christ may be worthwhile for you on your path, but to me it is of no more interest than discussing football with people who believe football players score when they touch home plate.

Again, how do you define salvation?

Why? Because you no more meet the requirements of a Catholic than Jesus met the requirements of the Messiah. You are making up the rules to suit yourself and are not following the teachings of Catholicism. Either you belong to a sect ..... or you are trying to create one.

What teaching do you claim I am not following? If you are speaking of not being allowed to speak to God, it is you who are in error. For example, look up Catholic teaching on public and private revelations.
Again with the cult dogma.

The only teaching sanctioned by God:
BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

I am the only one quoting Scripture, despite my repeated requests for you to tell me where Catholic practices are supported in the Bible. You don't quote Scripture to support your beliefs and practices because it is not supported by Scripture. You're not doing what Peter told you to do.
Here is the problem. You are like one who insists that that football players must run the bases before they score. Until that person is willing to learn/understand actual football plays and you are willing to learn what Catholicism actually teaches, then you will never see that scripture in its entirety is Catholicism.

Cherry picking and spinning scripture in order to support dogmas created fifteen hundred years after Christ may be worthwhile for you on your path, but to me it is of no more interest than discussing football with people who believe football players score when they touch home plate.

Again, how do you define salvation?
Again, you are not doing what Peter said to do, be prepared to defend your faith. I thought you Catholics had Peter up on a pedestal. Or do they not teach that verse? That would be my guess.

John 3:16 tells anyone they need to know about salvation. Oops, I quoted Scripture again.

I took the pencil home from work. I know God said do not steal, yet I rebelled. My coworker needed that pencil later, I left him in need. It felt gratifying that I had the pencil, I had no concern the poor didn't have one.

Another illustration that you know nothing about the Catholic faith. Indeed, the Catholic faith will teach you that hatred of one's neighbor, or the disregard of one's neighbor that the rich man showed in the story of Lazarus and the rich man, does leave you in danger of hell. However, the final judgment is God's.

Jesus notes that what we do--or did not do--to the least, we do to him. He tells us which he welcomes into the kingdom, and which are dismissed into the fire.

Another illustration that you know nothing about the Catholic faith. Indeed, the Catholic faith will teach you that hatred of one's neighbor, or the disregard of one's neighbor that the rich man showed in the story of Lazarus and the rich man, does leave you in danger of hell. However, the final judgment is God's.

Jesus notes that what we do--or did not do--to the least, we do to him. He tells us which he welcomes into the kingdom, and which are dismissed into the fire.
I admit I know little about Catholics as you do, and little compared to a Buddhist.
But what I do know more than you is Christianity.
And the worst sinner can recieve salvation, there is no such thing as a mortal sin that your cult teaches.

Forum List

Back