Heart to Heart

Today I thought I’d take a break from the heavy non-fiction reading I do so much of and read a who-dun-it? type novel. Was surprised to find so many nuggets of truth in it. Here’s what I mean:

“Some people cannot think themselves into anyone else’s pain. If they don’t feel it themselves, then it isn’t real.”

“A lot of things are repugnant and a great many of them spring from obsession. And an inability to see any point of view except your own, or to empathize with another person’s pain if he is in any way different from yourself.”

“He may be guilty of no more than an ability to love theory too much and people too little.”

And my favorite: “I had no idea written words could hurt so much…that people who don’t even know you could be so passionately certain of what you are like, what is in your heart.”

Then I also read a couple magazine articles, one in People and one in Time: Travis Smiley said of Dick Gregory: “He knew that real freedom can only come from real truth.”

And novelist Jesmyn Ward said regarding the recent events in Charlottesville: “It’s like we’ve been reminded once again that we live in the south – that we live in a place where throughout the centuries and throughout the decades, our lives have been considered worthless.”

Much has been debated about the state of race relations in our country. I believe it’s time to move from head to head debates. It’s time to start heart to heart conversations.

In other words, you want white people to sit down, shut up, and accept being told how bad you think we are?
You didn't get the point at all. Every individual is free to express themselves and explain why certain things make them defensive. It is undebatable that bad things have been done and continue to be done by and for the benefit of white people in our racist, capitalistic system.

When you honestly examine your reaction to what you feel are unfair personal accusations, then you begin to feel how black folks have always felt by being constantly told they are the bad ones, the worthless ones, the ones that don't matter.

YOu have no ability nor interest in feeling my pain.

Or really, any white persons.

Liberals: All the self awareness of a turnip.

You are obviously prone to making some incredibly stupid statements.

If she is white, she likely has white family members thst she cares about.

And WHY should she give a damn about "your pain"?

Do you see the Irish still whining?
I do not believe that pointing out facts is whining. I do not believe that talking about the past and how it effects our future is whining.
Focusing entirely on the past then assigning the same problems in the modern realm is not only a logical fallacy but an outright lie based on willful self deception.
Focusing one's study to a singular field or area within a singular field is the potential doorway to developing unconscious bias excluding every other aspect of knowledge in favor of one.

Why don't you people give her a break and ask questions instead of making assumptions.

Today I thought I’d take a break from the heavy non-fiction reading I do so much of and read a who-dun-it? type novel. Was surprised to find so many nuggets of truth in it. Here’s what I mean:

“Some people cannot think themselves into anyone else’s pain. If they don’t feel it themselves, then it isn’t real.”

“A lot of things are repugnant and a great many of them spring from obsession. And an inability to see any point of view except your own, or to empathize with another person’s pain if he is in any way different from yourself.”

“He may be guilty of no more than an ability to love theory too much and people too little.”

And my favorite: “I had no idea written words could hurt so much…that people who don’t even know you could be so passionately certain of what you are like, what is in your heart.”

Then I also read a couple magazine articles, one in People and one in Time: Travis Smiley said of Dick Gregory: “He knew that real freedom can only come from real truth.”

And novelist Jesmyn Ward said regarding the recent events in Charlottesville: “It’s like we’ve been reminded once again that we live in the south – that we live in a place where throughout the centuries and throughout the decades, our lives have been considered worthless.”

Much has been debated about the state of race relations in our country. I believe it’s time to move from head to head debates. It’s time to start heart to heart conversations.

In other words, you want white people to sit down, shut up, and accept being told how bad you think we are?
You didn't get the point at all. Every individual is free to express themselves and explain why certain things make them defensive. It is undebatable that bad things have been done and continue to be done by and for the benefit of white people in our racist, capitalistic system.

When you honestly examine your reaction to what you feel are unfair personal accusations, then you begin to feel how black folks have always felt by being constantly told they are the bad ones, the worthless ones, the ones that don't matter.
Everything is choice. No one can make you feel one way or another. Are you in control of your destiny? Or have you transferred that control to an external source?

Don't know about anyone else, but I got the point when you first showed up bitching about the Poor Black Man and how its Whitey's fault. This thread is no different..just another gem of You People Are BAD hidden in a different title and op.

Too little too late, deary.

pffffffffffffft

How can you possibly know that without knowing me personally?

Correll is a self centered "RAW" who actually believes that societies deck is stacked against white people.
Are you one to those that believes a black person that benefited from affirmative-action did it all on their own?

Perhaps about the underlying reasons for their racism. Perhaps about how it actually feels to have hate in your heart. Perhaps about what possible personal gains there are in being racist. Perhaps about why their is so much defensiveness instead of inner reflection and self-examination.
If the words Racist and racism are not the most overused and misunderstood words in the American lexicon they are close to having that distinction. So I will ask you to express your thoughts in the above paragraph using more specific, descriptive and meaningful terms.

Next I will ask if you believe, as I do, that if twenty individuals, ten Black, ten White, were asked to do the same thing the disparities would be profound?

How can you possibly know that without knowing me personally?

Correll is a self centered "RAW" who actually believes that societies deck is stacked against white people.

I've documented that discrimination for you many times.

Your denial is either insane or dishonest.

You are obviously prone to making some incredibly stupid statements.

If she is white, she likely has white family members thst she cares about.

And WHY should she give a damn about "your pain"?

Her post(s) in this thread have said much about understanding, or "feeling the pain" of the blacks.

That she has no interest in my pain, shows that this is, in her opinion, an one way street.

And why should I care about people that don't care about me?

I do not believe that pointing out facts is whining. I do not believe that talking about the past and how it effects our future is whining.
Focusing entirely on the past then assigning the same problems in the modern realm is not only a logical fallacy but an outright lie based on willful self deception.
Focusing one's study to a singular field or area within a singular field is the potential doorway to developing unconscious bias excluding every other aspect of knowledge in favor of one.
I was talking with a young black man the other day and asked him if he thinks everyone should stop talking about slavery. He answered, no, because different forms of slavery are still going on. And it's slavery with hidden chains, hidden restraints.

Just because we can't see them ourselves does not mean that they are gone. If a young black man can feel the modern day chains and restraints, to him they are very real.

I was talking with a young black man the other day and asked him if he thinks everyone should stop talking about slavery. He answered, no, because different forms of slavery are still going on. And it's slavery with hidden chains, hidden restraints.

Just because we can't see them ourselves does not mean that they are gone. If a young black man can feel the modern day chains and restraints, to him they are very real.

I am not responsible for his delusions.

You try to hold me responsible, and we have a problem.

I am not responsible for his delusions.

You try to hold me responsible, and we have a problem.
Why do you say they are delusions? Do you believe that what he experiences can not possibly be reality?

Don't know about anyone else, but I got the point when you first showed up bitching about the Poor Black Man and how its Whitey's fault. This thread is no different..just another gem of You People Are BAD hidden in a different title and op.

pffffffffffffft
Negative actions have negative consequences. And I'm white, so no, I don't believe we are bad, except for being sinners like everyone else, since I am a Christian. But I do believe some very bad things have been done and not yet totally admitted or atoned for.

heart to heart conversations about what? That some people are racists? And that they possibly always could be?
Perhaps about the underlying reasons for their racism. Perhaps about how it actually feels to have hate in your heart. Perhaps about what possible personal gains there are in being racist. Perhaps about why their is so much defensiveness instead of inner reflection and self-examination.

Holy crap, what self-indulgent BS.

If the words Racist and racism are not the most overused and misunderstood words in the American lexicon they are close to having that distinction. So I will ask you to express your thoughts in the above paragraph using more specific, descriptive and meaningful terms.

Next I will ask if you believe, as I do, that if twenty individuals, ten Black, ten White, were asked to do the same thing the disparities would be profound?
I said that in response to someone's question about what we should have a heart to heart discussion about. She used the word racism, and I used it in response to her.
I do wonder about underlying causes of hate and bigotry. I wonder if we wouldn't feel better if we gave up our hate. I wonder if each of us has had experiences that shape us and that by sharing those, we might learn from one another.

About your question. I think that it's too broad. It would depend on what they were asked to do and whether or not they had been trained to do it or had the knowledge and experience at it. If you asked me to do the root canals that my employer does every day, I would look like a total idiot. If you asked him to do my paperwork and filing, he would be totally lost. Color would make no difference and you seem to be implying that blacks would not do as well as whites because of some inherent differences. With which I do not agree.

.... It is undebatable [sic] that bad things have been done and continue to be done by and for the benefit of white people in our racist, capitalistic system......

Typical liberal insistence in place of reason. "Racist, capitalistic system"? ???

pffffffffffffft
Negative actions have negative consequences. And I'm white, so no, I don't believe we are bad, except for being sinners like everyone else, since I am a Christian. But I do believe some very bad things have been done and not yet totally admitted or atoned for.
Then I suggest you go preach on the streets here:

Error | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Maybe the atonement is in your own back yard.

That young Black fellow is right. Slavery, actual slavery, not "different forms" of the practice, still goes on today, mainly in Africa -- and the chains are not hidden. For example, you can buy a healthy male in his twenties for between one and two thousand dollars, U.S., in Sudan. Slavery in Sudan

It should be mentioned that Africa is the birthplace of slavery.

Trust me, those invisible chains are primarily economic and not only associated with young black males. My previous statement still stands. No one said anything about not talking about slavery, stop using it as a basis for what is going on in the US today, instead of reinforcing perception reinforce reality.

Last edited:
I was talking with a young black man the other day and asked him if he thinks everyone should stop talking about slavery. He answered, no, because different forms of slavery are still going on.
Why dont the two of you instead concentrate on the people who invented slavery and who also still practice it today? Blame the people who captured and sold them. Blame Africans. If slavery is that much of an important topic to you, what are you doing to stop slavery happening right this very moment in Africa? Can you point me to any of the threads youve made about modern day slavery in Africa?

Forum List

Back