Heart to Heart

No, she can't. She can't even acknowledge that blacks are killing blacks more than anyone else. She has black tunnel vision, is a white woman herself that hates her own race.

Meh.

Today I thought I’d take a break from the heavy non-fiction reading I do so much of and read a who-dun-it? type novel. Was surprised to find so many nuggets of truth in it. Here’s what I mean:

“Some people cannot think themselves into anyone else’s pain. If they don’t feel it themselves, then it isn’t real.”

“A lot of things are repugnant and a great many of them spring from obsession. And an inability to see any point of view except your own, or to empathize with another person’s pain if he is in any way different from yourself.”

“He may be guilty of no more than an ability to love theory too much and people too little.”

And my favorite: “I had no idea written words could hurt so much…that people who don’t even know you could be so passionately certain of what you are like, what is in your heart.”

Then I also read a couple magazine articles, one in People and one in Time: Travis Smiley said of Dick Gregory: “He knew that real freedom can only come from real truth.”

And novelist Jesmyn Ward said regarding the recent events in Charlottesville: “It’s like we’ve been reminded once again that we live in the south – that we live in a place where throughout the centuries and throughout the decades, our lives have been considered worthless.”

Much has been debated about the state of race relations in our country. I believe it’s time to move from head to head debates. It’s time to start heart to heart conversations.
heart to heart conversations about what? That some people are racists? And that they possibly always could be?
Perhaps about the underlying reasons for their racism. Perhaps about how it actually feels to have hate in your heart. Perhaps about what possible personal gains there are in being racist. Perhaps about why their is so much defensiveness instead of inner reflection and self-examination.
Perhaps accepting the realization that; just because a person recognizes that there are differences between the races, does not automatically mean that there is "hatred".

Today I thought I’d take a break from the heavy non-fiction reading I do so much of and read a who-dun-it? type novel. Was surprised to find so many nuggets of truth in it. Here’s what I mean:

“Some people cannot think themselves into anyone else’s pain. If they don’t feel it themselves, then it isn’t real.”

“A lot of things are repugnant and a great many of them spring from obsession. And an inability to see any point of view except your own, or to empathize with another person’s pain if he is in any way different from yourself.”

“He may be guilty of no more than an ability to love theory too much and people too little.”

And my favorite: “I had no idea written words could hurt so much…that people who don’t even know you could be so passionately certain of what you are like, what is in your heart.”

Then I also read a couple magazine articles, one in People and one in Time: Travis Smiley said of Dick Gregory: “He knew that real freedom can only come from real truth.”

And novelist Jesmyn Ward said regarding the recent events in Charlottesville: “It’s like we’ve been reminded once again that we live in the south – that we live in a place where throughout the centuries and throughout the decades, our lives have been considered worthless.”

Much has been debated about the state of race relations in our country. I believe it’s time to move from head to head debates. It’s time to start heart to heart conversations.
heart to heart conversations about what? That some people are racists? And that they possibly always could be?
Perhaps about the underlying reasons for their racism. Perhaps about how it actually feels to have hate in your heart. Perhaps about what possible personal gains there are in being racist. Perhaps about why their is so much defensiveness instead of inner reflection and self-examination.
Perhaps accepting the realization that; just because a person recognizes that there are differences between the races, does not automatically mean that there is "hatred".
Very good point. Let me also add that 99% differences are cultural, not racial.

In other words, you want white people to sit down, shut up, and accept being told how bad you think we are?
You didn't get the point at all. Every individual is free to express themselves and explain why certain things make them defensive. It is undebatable that bad things have been done and continue to be done by and for the benefit of white people in our racist, capitalistic system.

When you honestly examine your reaction to what you feel are unfair personal accusations, then you begin to feel how black folks have always felt by being constantly told they are the bad ones, the worthless ones, the ones that don't matter.
Don't know about anyone else, but I got the point when you first showed up bitching about the Poor Black Man and how its Whitey's fault. This thread is no different..just another gem of You People Are BAD hidden in a different title and op.

Too little too late, deary.

pffffffffffffft
Negative actions have negative consequences. And I'm white, so no, I don't believe we are bad, except for being sinners like everyone else, since I am a Christian. But I do believe some very bad things have been done and not yet totally admitted or atoned for.

Atoned for by whom? Should white people that never did those bad things to blacks that never had bad things done to them atone for the actions? Sorry, not how it works.

In other words, you want white people to sit down, shut up, and accept being told how bad you think we are?
You didn't get the point at all. Every individual is free to express themselves and explain why certain things make them defensive. It is undebatable that bad things have been done and continue to be done by and for the benefit of white people in our racist, capitalistic system.

When you honestly examine your reaction to what you feel are unfair personal accusations, then you begin to feel how black folks have always felt by being constantly told they are the bad ones, the worthless ones, the ones that don't matter.
Don't know about anyone else, but I got the point when you first showed up bitching about the Poor Black Man and how its Whitey's fault. This thread is no different..just another gem of You People Are BAD hidden in a different title and op.

pffffffffffffft
Negative actions have negative consequences. And I'm white, so no, I don't believe we are bad, except for being sinners like everyone else, since I am a Christian. But I do believe some very bad things have been done and not yet totally admitted or atoned for.

Atoned for by whom? Should white people that never did those bad things to blacks that never had bad things done to them atone for the actions? Sorry, not how it works.
That's not how you think it should work. Perhaps if the US government had actually given freed slaves the 40 acres and a mule they promised them: perhaps if there hadn't been Jim Crow laws and Black Code Laws and the 3/5's law, and disenfranchisement laws; perhaps if they had not passed their hatred and disdain for black folks onto future generations; perhaps things would be different today for all of us.

I see atonement as needed from the US government and payment of a debt they incurred, not as an individual atonement. And I know you will say any payment will come from our taxes. But I look at it this way - my taxes already go to lots of things I dislike and don't approve of personally - like foreign aid to not so friendly countries, bridges to nowhere, pet projects of Congressman and their overseas trips, protection for previous presidents, funding senseless, sometimes endless wars.

I would have no problem with my taxes funding reinvestment in inner cities that have been abandoned and neglected. Creating jobs for inner city workers will create tax revenue, cut down on crime, and create better communities. I agree with Ta-Nehisi Coates who said, "So you stopped hitting me with a stick. That's great, but now what are you going to do to heal my wounds?" I also just heard Kareem Abjul-Jabbar say the he believes in what our country is supposed to be about. Our country claims 'Liberty and justice for all," but we have a long way to go before we become a more perfect union for everyone.

I would have no problem with my taxes funding reinvestment in inner cities that have been abandoned and neglected.
That's nice. Perhaps those inner cities have been abandoned and neglected due to the cultural behavior that made anyone afraid to live there? Hellooooooo? Wake up.

Do you see the Irish still whining?
I do not believe that pointing out facts is whining. I do not believe that talking about the past and how it effects our future is whining.
Focusing entirely on the past then assigning the same problems in the modern realm is not only a logical fallacy but an outright lie based on willful self deception.
Focusing one's study to a singular field or area within a singular field is the potential doorway to developing unconscious bias excluding every other aspect of knowledge in favor of one.
I was talking with a young black man the other day and asked him if he thinks everyone should stop talking about slavery. He answered, no, because different forms of slavery are still going on. And it's slavery with hidden chains, hidden restraints.

Just because we can't see them ourselves does not mean that they are gone. If a young black man can feel the modern day chains and restraints, to him they are very real.

I am not responsible for his delusions.

You try to hold me responsible, and we have a problem.
Why do you say they are delusions? Do you believe that what he experiences can not possibly be reality?

You utterly dismiss my experiences, where do you get off expecting more from me than you will give?

YOu have no ability nor interest in feeling my pain.

Or really, any white persons.

Liberals: All the self awareness of a turnip.
How can you possibly know that without knowing me personally?

Correll is a self centered "RAW" who actually believes that societies deck is stacked against white people.

I've documented that discrimination for you many times.

Your denial is either insane or dishonest.

And it has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions that in spite of this "anti white conspiracy" that you claim is being perpetrated, that there is no valid statistical data anywhere that supports the fact that whites are being displaced by non whites in substantial numbers in the work force or in college admissions.

Your psychosis is directly related to your radical alt right view that any success experienced by non whites must be at the expense of the white population.

Correll is a self centered "RAW" who actually believes that societies deck is stacked against white people.

And it has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions that in spite of this "anti white conspiracy" that you claim is being perpetrated, that there is no valid statistical data anywhere that supports the fact that whites are being displaced by non whites in substantial numbers in the work force or in college admissions.

Your psychosis is directly related to your radical alt right view that any success experienced by non whites must be at the expense of the white population.

You are referring to the sad examples of various leftists citing whites as majorities in various institutions as evidence that the discrimination is not occurring?

Yes, your inability or refusal to understand that under performing minorities SHOULD be UNDERREPRESENTED in elite schools has been noted and is evidence of your irrationality.

You are referring to the sad examples of various leftists citing whites as majorities in various institutions as evidence that the discrimination is not occurring?

Yes, your inability or refusal to understand that under performing minorities SHOULD be UNDERREPRESENTED in elite schools has been noted and is evidence of your irrationality.

Since you appear to view races as "collectives" your inability to ackowledge that the 'collective" to which you belong is not being marginalized on a mass scale, as you assume, has been noted and accepted as evidence of your psychosis.

Last edited:

You only see things from the black point of view, even though you are white. A lot of pain is self inflicted. Way to many whites are blamed for things they have no control over toward blacks. Every white person I know gets up in the morning,goes to work their asses off to make a living for their families, they do not say "hey, let me do or say something negative toward a black person". Don't you have even the slightest feeling that MAYBE just MAYBE some of the woes of the blacks are just like anyone else, like not living right, not working, not staying out of trouble, etc?

What's heavy nonfiction?

854_1_0ef956.jpg

Your only interest is in having white people tell you the hows and whys of their feeling toward black people. Not all whites feel the same, we are not of one collective mind. You also don't give two shits about how blacks feel or treat whites who have done nothing to deserve any negativity from them. You also refer to more outside input than your own thoughts.

Do you see the Irish still whining?
I do not believe that pointing out facts is whining. I do not believe that talking about the past and how it effects our future is whining.
Focusing entirely on the past then assigning the same problems in the modern realm is not only a logical fallacy but an outright lie based on willful self deception.
Focusing one's study to a singular field or area within a singular field is the potential doorway to developing unconscious bias excluding every other aspect of knowledge in favor of one.
I was talking with a young black man the other day and asked him if he thinks everyone should stop talking about slavery. He answered, no, because different forms of slavery are still going on. And it's slavery with hidden chains, hidden restraints.

Just because we can't see them ourselves does not mean that they are gone. If a young black man can feel the modern day chains and restraints, to him they are very real.
Did he explain how and why?

pffffffffffffft
Attoned for? How?

pffffffffffffft
Attoned for? How?
giphy.gif

Forum List

Back