Heart to Heart

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
Today I thought I’d take a break from the heavy non-fiction reading I do so much of and read a who-dun-it? type novel. Was surprised to find so many nuggets of truth in it. Here’s what I mean:

“Some people cannot think themselves into anyone else’s pain. If they don’t feel it themselves, then it isn’t real.”

“A lot of things are repugnant and a great many of them spring from obsession. And an inability to see any point of view except your own, or to empathize with another person’s pain if he is in any way different from yourself.”

“He may be guilty of no more than an ability to love theory too much and people too little.”

And my favorite: “I had no idea written words could hurt so much…that people who don’t even know you could be so passionately certain of what you are like, what is in your heart.”

Then I also read a couple magazine articles, one in People and one in Time: Travis Smiley said of Dick Gregory: “He knew that real freedom can only come from real truth.”

And novelist Jesmyn Ward said regarding the recent events in Charlottesville: “It’s like we’ve been reminded once again that we live in the south – that we live in a place where throughout the centuries and throughout the decades, our lives have been considered worthless.”

Much has been debated about the state of race relations in our country. I believe it’s time to move from head to head debates. It’s time to start heart to heart conversations.

Today I thought I’d take a break from the heavy non-fiction reading I do so much of and read a who-dun-it? type novel. Was surprised to find so many nuggets of truth in it. Here’s what I mean:

“Some people cannot think themselves into anyone else’s pain. If they don’t feel it themselves, then it isn’t real.”

“A lot of things are repugnant and a great many of them spring from obsession. And an inability to see any point of view except your own, or to empathize with another person’s pain if he is in any way different from yourself.”

“He may be guilty of no more than an ability to love theory too much and people too little.”

And my favorite: “I had no idea written words could hurt so much…that people who don’t even know you could be so passionately certain of what you are like, what is in your heart.”

Then I also read a couple magazine articles, one in People and one in Time: Travis Smiley said of Dick Gregory: “He knew that real freedom can only come from real truth.”

And novelist Jesmyn Ward said regarding the recent events in Charlottesville: “It’s like we’ve been reminded once again that we live in the south – that we live in a place where throughout the centuries and throughout the decades, our lives have been considered worthless.”

Much has been debated about the state of race relations in our country. I believe it’s time to move from head to head debates. It’s time to start heart to heart conversations.
heart to heart conversations about what? That some people are racists? And that they possibly always could be?

In other words, you want white people to sit down, shut up, and accept being told how bad you think we are?

heart to heart conversations about what? That some people are racists? And that they possibly always could be?
Perhaps about the underlying reasons for their racism. Perhaps about how it actually feels to have hate in your heart. Perhaps about what possible personal gains there are in being racist. Perhaps about why their is so much defensiveness instead of inner reflection and self-examination.

In other words, you want white people to sit down, shut up, and accept being told how bad you think we are?
You didn't get the point at all. Every individual is free to express themselves and explain why certain things make them defensive. It is undebatable that bad things have been done and continue to be done by and for the benefit of white people in our racist, capitalistic system.

When you honestly examine your reaction to what you feel are unfair personal accusations, then you begin to feel how black folks have always felt by being constantly told they are the bad ones, the worthless ones, the ones that don't matter.

What's heavy nonfiction?
I've read 3-400 page books on slavery, segregation, mass incarceration, apartheid, etc. that are difficult to read because they are scholarly works with huge words not used in my ordinary every day language. Well worth the effort though but sometimes my mind gets tired and needs a break.

You didn't get the point at all. Every individual is free to express themselves and explain why certain things make them defensive. It is undebatable that bad things have been done and continue to be done by and for the benefit of white people in our racist, capitalistic system.

When you honestly examine your reaction to what you feel are unfair personal accusations, then you begin to feel how black folks have always felt by being constantly told they are the bad ones, the worthless ones, the ones that don't matter.

YOu have no ability nor interest in feeling my pain.

Or really, any white persons.

Liberals: All the self awareness of a turnip.

Do you see the Irish still whining?
I do not believe that pointing out facts is whining. I do not believe that talking about the past and how it effects our future is whining.

How can you possibly know that without knowing me personally?

I have discussed various issues with you, and you have utterly failed to give any respect to the legitimacy of my interests or concerns.

I have discussed various issues with you, and you have utterly failed to give any respect to the legitimacy of my interests or concerns.
Examples? These threads get so long I literally get lost. My apologies if in my passion for my beliefs I have not respected yours.

Do you see the Irish still whining?
I do not believe that pointing out facts is whining. I do not believe that talking about the past and how it effects our future is whining.
150 years is a bit too far to reach back for current or future events...If you want us to say sorry the blacks were one of the peoples enslaved at a time in history, ok, sorry...Yet I shan't feel guilty or slit my wrist over it..It's water under the bridge..The future can't be accomplished rather well if we carry our old baggage to weigh us down...
The whining comes from not having the ability to utter anything but the same old redundancy about the same subject...

What a load of bullshit. Why don't you just bend over and let one of those supposed mistreated blacks fuck you in the ass. Wait, you just did, figuratively that is.

It's easy to tell what you are by what you post and it's not a very positive presentation.

Examples? These threads get so long I literally get lost. My apologies if in my passion for my beliefs I have not respected yours.

That's a sign of being stupid. I don't have respect for idiots like you.

What's heavy nonfiction?
I've read 3-400 page books on slavery, segregation, mass incarceration, apartheid, etc. that are difficult to read because they are scholarly works with huge words not used in my ordinary every day language. Well worth the effort though but sometimes my mind gets tired and needs a break.

I hadn't heard the term before. I've
In the decades I've known another that reads/has read as much as I have. I've a library I'm quite proud of. It contains a great many of the type of books you describe on a lot of subjects. Another section holds just about every book by Stephen King, Koontz, Cussler, John Sanford and others in the main stream world.
I don't think I've ever brought up till now though.
Have you read Shelby Footes excellent series on the Civil War? Shouldn't be missed though it doesn't reach the heights of heavy reading.
Your attitudes and mindset are odd for a well read person.

What's heavy nonfiction?

I hadn't heard the term before. I've
In the decades I've known another that reads/has read as much as I have. I've a library I'm quite proud of. It contains a great many of the type of books you describe on a lot of subjects. Another section holds just about every book by Stephen King, Koontz, Cussler, John Sanford and others in the main stream world.
I don't think I've ever brought up till now though.
Have you read Shelby Footes excellent series on the Civil War? Shouldn't be missed though it doesn't reach the heights of heavy reading.
Your attitudes and mindset are odd for a well read person.
What do you consider my attitude and mindset to be?

Correll is a self centered "RAW" who actually believes that societies deck is stacked against white people.

Forum List

Back