Hate-crime arrests in Quran desecrations at Pace University

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Well golly gee...this is a hate crime...yet piss Christ is just freedom of speech.......hmmmm.

July 27, 2007, 8:33 PM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) _ A 23-year-old man was arrested Friday on hate-crime charges after he threw a Quran in a toilet at Pace University on two separate occasions, police said.

Stanislav Shmulevich of Brooklyn was arrested on charges of criminal mischief and aggravated harassment, both hate crimes, police said. It was unclear if he was a student at the school. A message left at the Shmulevich home was not immediately returned.

The Islamic holy book was found in a toilet at Pace's lower Manhattan campus by a teacher on Oct. 13. A student discovered another book in a toilet on Nov. 21, police said.

Muslim activists had called on Pace University to crack down on hate crimes after the incidents. As a result, the university said it would offer sensitivity training to its students.

The school was accused by Muslim students of not taking the incident seriously enough at first. Pace classified the first desecration of the holy book as an act of vandalism, but university officials later reversed themselves and referred the incident to the New York Police Department's hate crimes unit.

The incidents came amid a spate of vandalism cases with religious or racial overtones at the school. In an earlier incident on Sept. 21, the school reported another copy of the Quran was found in a library toilet, and in October someone scrawled racial slurs on a student's car at the Westchester County satellite campus and on a bathroom wall at the campus in lower Manhattan. Police did not connect Shmulevich to those incidents.

Treatment of the Quran is a sensitive issue for Muslims, who view the book as a sacred object and mistreating it as an offense against God. The religion teaches that the Quran is the direct word of God.

In 2005, Newsweek magazine published and later retracted a story claiming U.S. interrogators at a prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, flushed a copy of the holy book down a toilet. The report sparked deadly demonstrations in Afghanistan and protests throughout the Middle East.

Pace University has 14,000 students on its campuses in New York City and Westchester County.

Messages left for school administrators and for officials with the New York and national chapters of the Council on American-Islamic Relations were not immediately returned Friday evening.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the national CAIR office in Washington, D.C., has said the organization receives frequent reports of Quran desecrations in the United States, especially postings on Internet sites, but seldom makes them public.

He said CAIR decided to speak out about the Pace incidents because Muslim students are impacted by the creation of what could be viewed as a hostile campus environment.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...ul27,0,6882662.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

-------------------------------------------------------
Hope you all enjoy your freedom while you still have them...I know I did mine for my 50 plus yrs.:cool:

Well golly gee...this is a hate crime...yet piss Christ is just freedom of speech.......hmmmm.

July 27, 2007, 8:33 PM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) _ A 23-year-old man was arrested Friday on hate-crime charges after he threw a Quran in a toilet at Pace University on two separate occasions, police said.

Stanislav Shmulevich of Brooklyn was arrested on charges of criminal mischief and aggravated harassment, both hate crimes, police said. It was unclear if he was a student at the school. A message left at the Shmulevich home was not immediately returned.

The Islamic holy book was found in a toilet at Pace's lower Manhattan campus by a teacher on Oct. 13. A student discovered another book in a toilet on Nov. 21, police said.

Muslim activists had called on Pace University to crack down on hate crimes after the incidents. As a result, the university said it would offer sensitivity training to its students.

The school was accused by Muslim students of not taking the incident seriously enough at first. Pace classified the first desecration of the holy book as an act of vandalism, but university officials later reversed themselves and referred the incident to the New York Police Department's hate crimes unit.

The incidents came amid a spate of vandalism cases with religious or racial overtones at the school. In an earlier incident on Sept. 21, the school reported another copy of the Quran was found in a library toilet, and in October someone scrawled racial slurs on a student's car at the Westchester County satellite campus and on a bathroom wall at the campus in lower Manhattan. Police did not connect Shmulevich to those incidents.

Treatment of the Quran is a sensitive issue for Muslims, who view the book as a sacred object and mistreating it as an offense against God. The religion teaches that the Quran is the direct word of God.

In 2005, Newsweek magazine published and later retracted a story claiming U.S. interrogators at a prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, flushed a copy of the holy book down a toilet. The report sparked deadly demonstrations in Afghanistan and protests throughout the Middle East.

Pace University has 14,000 students on its campuses in New York City and Westchester County.

Messages left for school administrators and for officials with the New York and national chapters of the Council on American-Islamic Relations were not immediately returned Friday evening.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the national CAIR office in Washington, D.C., has said the organization receives frequent reports of Quran desecrations in the United States, especially postings on Internet sites, but seldom makes them public.

He said CAIR decided to speak out about the Pace incidents because Muslim students are impacted by the creation of what could be viewed as a hostile campus environment.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...ul27,0,6882662.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

-------------------------------------------------------
Hope you all enjoy your freedom while you still have them...I know I did mine for my 50 plus yrs.:cool:

You can burn the US Flag, but you can't toss a Koran in the shitter? WTF is wrong with THIS picture?

i use the pages of the koran for toilet paper...but only after i draw pictures of a stupid beared fuck on each page....

It would be fascinating to see what would happen if an artist was brave enough (or stupid enough) to create Piss Qu'ran. I mean, he or she would immediately have to go into hiding for the rest of their lives for fear of being beheaded - but it would make an interesting artistic statement...even as nothing more as a piece of performance art highlighting the similarities and differences between how two major religions handle "religious persecution."

It would be fascinating to see what would happen if an artist was brave enough (or stupid enough) to create Piss QuranI mean, he or she would immediately have to go into hiding for the rest of their lives for fear of being beheaded - but it would make an interesting artistic statement...even as nothing more as a piece of performance art highlighting the similarities and differences between how two major religions handle "religious persecution."

Well Gem my dear....multiculturalism, Political correctness is gonna be our downfall...Nobody is required anymore to assimilate into America...We are now a hyenated Country....

At the rate were going........it won't be long...I'm afraid...unless people start standing up and stop protesting the United States, and start protesting the tearing down of our country....

That's why I said......enjoy your all young ones freedoms while you can...and I say that with a heavy heart, cause I hate to see our Great Country fall...But, from the looks of it....????

Well, IF someone had done this to your Bible, which is also Considered the Word of God, would you consider it a hate crime? Would you be offended and would you want the Hate Crime Law enforced?

If you are insulted when a Bible is thrown in the toilet, then instead of making "fun" of these people that were religiously offended, you should be supporting their concerns.

Do unto others as you would WANT THEM to do unto you.

Not do unto others what they have done to you.

I think that if you feel that someone flushing the Holy Bible down the toilet to intimidate you and your religious beliefs is hateful, (even if society doesn't seem to give it the same credence as the Koran's desecration but you FELT it should have been...), then you should see flushing the koran as also a hateful thing to do!

imo

Care

Well, IF someone had done this to your Bible, which is also Considered the Word of God, would you consider it a hate crime? Would you be offended and would you want the Hate Crime Law enforced?

If you are insulted when a Bible is thrown in the toilet, then instead of making "fun" of these people that were religiously offended, you should be supporting their concerns.

I think that if you feel that someone flushing the Holy Bible down the toilet to intimidate you and your religious beliefs is hateful, (even if society doesn't seem to give it the same credence as the Koran's desecration but you FELT it should have been...), then you should see flushing the Koran as also a hateful thing to do!

IMO

Care

You really are a jester right.....
I believe in Freedom of Speech...
Just like our country was founded on....
We see our Christian symbols degraded every single day,(just like the piss Christ), did I like it, No.... yet we don't DEMAND A PERSON BE JAILED FOR IT.......We don't DEMAND they have sensitivity TRAINING........

ENJOY YOUR FREEDOMS.........WHILE YOU STILL HAVE THEM....Because you and you alone with your dumb ideology....about what is or is not offensive...Will be your downfall....
I hope your knees are ready to bow down and kiss the KORAN five times a day....Sheeesh......:cuckoo:

You really are a jester right.....
I believe in Freedom of Speech...
Just like our country was founded on....
We see our Christian symbols degraded every single day,(just like the piss Christ), did I like it, No.... yet we don't DEMAND A PERSON BE JAILED FOR IT.......We don't DEMAND they have sensitivity TRAINING........

ENJOY YOUR FREEDOMS.........WHILE YOU STILL HAVE THEM....
I hope your knees are ready to bow down and kiss the KORAN five times a day....Sheeesh......:cuckoo:

i think it is a bit overboard, but i respect their religious beliefs and i don't support hateful actions of anyone.

i'm certain if i were a muslim in this country right now, i'd be a little concerned with being hated, and maybe a little too sensitive.

5% of our muslim population in this country is not going to ever take my freedoms away from me stephanie?

I'm more concerned with an over zealous administration doing that than any American muslim!

Fear shouldn't be used and abused so freely imo...:cuckoo:

care

i think it is a bit overboard, but i respect their religious beliefs and i don't support hateful actions of anyone.

I'm certain if i were a Muslim in this country right now, I'd be a little concerned with being hated, and maybe a little too sensitive.

5% of our Muslim population in this country is not going to ever take my freedoms away from me Stephanie?

I'm more concerned with an over zealous administration doing that than any American Muslim!

Fear shouldn't be used and abused so freely IMO...:cuckoo:

care

Are you blinded of whats going on around you....

The school was accused by Muslim students of not taking the incident seriously enough at first. Pace classified the first desecration of the holy book as an act of vandalism, but university officials later reversed themselves and referred the incident to the New York Police Department's hate crimes unit. Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the national CAIR office in Washington, D.C., has said the organization receives frequent reports of Quran desecrations in the United States, especially postings on Internet sites, but seldom makes them public.

You are either young and naive.... or a fool....
Do you not see...by you supporting something that is called a hate crime, you are eroding our freedoms....It is being used against us Us citizens every day now....From all sorts of groups......of so called VICTIMS....except of course....Us American citizens, can not claim it's being done towards us...

Enjoy your freedom while you HAD THEM....:rolleyes:

It is a book. Nothing more, nothing less. If I own said book, I am free to do with it what I want. Claiming it is a "hate" crime to do something with a book is retarded. I also think it is Unconstitutional. Where are all the liberals whining about the 4th Amendment, the 8th Amendment, the 1st amendment? NO ONE has a Constitutional right to be protected from being offended.

Lats burn the quran and post the video on you tube. Fuck those shit for brain idiots with their fanatical ideas. So those jackasses can burn our flag but its not ok for us to do anything to their stuff?? Screw their Holier than thou attitude.

Are you blinded of whats going on around you....

You are either young and naive.... or a fool....
Do you not see...by you supporting something that is called a hate crime, you are eroding our freedoms....It is being used against us Us citizens every day now....From all sorts of groups......of so called VICTIMS....except of course....Us American citizens, can not claim it's being done towards us...

Enjoy your freedom while you HAD THEM....:rolleyes:

First off, I do not believe in nor did I ever support the creation of hatecrime laws, and much to my dismay, congress disagreed with me, and created these laws.

The reason I don't believe in special hate crime Laws is because I believe that most crimes are committed against another human being is ''hate'' towards their fellow man....

As an example:
Why should someone that killed my sister get a smaller sentence for this crime of murder than someone who killed a Priest or a Muslim cleric, or a Rabbi or a Gay person, or a Chinese person or a Black person?

Did the person that killed her not "hate" her enough?

Hate crime legislation is unfair in my opinion and doesn't make sense?
------------------------------------------------------------

But going back to this situation at this college....

The School initially treated it as VANDALISM is what it said. Now, vandalism involves destroying or damaging SOMEONE ELSE'S PROPERTY.

NOT their OWN property, but damaging SOMEONE ELSE'S PROPERTY.

That, young lady, is a crime. This tells me that the accused STOLE someone's Quaran and flushed it.

IS this an intimidating and a HATEFUL thing to do to another person?

YES, in TRUTH it is, don't you think so?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Then on top of this, this man DID IT AGAIN, flushed another quaran down the toilet. Did he repent? Did he take whatever handslap that he got on the first occaision of his disrespect and vandalism SERIOUSLY?

It shows that he didn't imo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And granted, I only read what was posted in the thread article on this subject, and only 'skimmed' at that, and have not done further research on it to know the details that truely would matter.

What I was responding to was mainly your comment Stephanie, on FEAR, and how "these people" will end up taking over America, our country and I will be along with all Americans, basically bowing to Allah because of this ONE situtation at this ONE college or because of the 5-6% of Muslims that live in this country's revolution and WIN against the other 94% of us....

It's UNNECESSARY HYPE, to me and it makes things worse and divides us further as a country, than the path we are already on imo.

Care

I think that if you feel that someone flushing the Holy Bible down the toilet to intimidate you and your religious beliefs is hateful, (even if society doesn't seem to give it the same credence as the Koran's desecration but you FELT it should have been...), then you should see flushing the koran as also a hateful thing to do!

imo

Care

I think Christianity, Christians, and/or the Bible are villified every day and no one is EVER charged with a hate crime. It's okay to hate white people and Christians.

One could argue every crime that is not a spur of the moment action is a hate crime. Or one could argue each crime is what it is, and should be punished equally.

There's an obvious legal double standard. How come you can burn my flag and it isn't a hate crime?

Until the law is equal, I will treat it as the joke it is.

I think Christianity, Christians, and/or the Bible are villified every day and no one is EVER charged with a hate crime. It's okay to hate white people and Christians.

One could argue every crime that is not a spur of the moment action is a hate crime. Or one could argue each crime is what it is, and should be punished equally.

There's an obvious legal double standard. How come you can burn my flag and it isn't a hate crime?

Until the law is equal, I will treat it as the joke it is.

Do unto others as you would WANT THEM to do unto YOU.

If you think that Christians and their religious beliefs are not respected AS THEY SHOULD BE, then you should be supporting other religions that feel thae same way as you, no?

Instead it seems you are taking the approach that if you can;t get any respect for your religion then I'LL BE DAMNED IF ANOTHER RELIGION CAN GET IT.

That, gunny, is ridiculous, selfish, vengeful and SHORT SIGHTED in my humble opinion.

Supporting everyone's right to their religious beliefs and respect for such, is one of the foundations of our Country that has made us GREAT.

And if we "pick off" other religions for getting respect just because we haven't gotten the same level of respect WILL ONLY HURT US, in the long run....

And I see supporting the respect of other religious beliefs as a way to get our OWN religious beliefs the respect that has been lacking and spit on, in our society...

Again, treat others as you would want to be treated yourself...it will come back to you... (In rep points) :D , is how I look at it!

Care

Do unto others as you would WANT THEM to do unto YOU.

If you think that Christians and their religious beliefs are not respected AS THEY SHOULD BE, then you should be supporting other religions that feel thae same way as you, no?

Instead it seems you are taking the approach that if you can;t get any respect for your religion then I'LL BE DAMNED IF ANOTHER RELIGION CAN GET IT.

That, gunny, is ridiculous, selfish, vengeful and SHORT SIGHTED in my humble opinion.

Supporting everyone's right to their religious beliefs and respect for such, is one of the foundations of our Country that has made us GREAT.

And if we "pick off" other religions for getting respect just because we haven't gotten the same level of respect WILL ONLY HURT US, in the long run....

And I see supporting the respect of other religious beliefs as a way to get our OWN religious beliefs the respect that has been lacking and spit on, in our society...

Again, treat others as you would want to be treated yourself...it will come back to you... (In rep points) :D , is how I look at it!

Care

I do not disagree with what you are saying about respect and such. What I do disagree with is that flushing a Koran is a crime, hate or otherwise. The university could start some sort of tolerance seminars, but a 'crime'? No.

Forum List

Back