Greatest guitar solo of all time

This is a bold statement, but i discovered today what i think might be the greatest guitar solo ever. This is Dream Theatres cover of Dio's masterpiece called "Stargazer". I conveniently set up the video to start right at the solo for you all.

Who can show me a cooler solo than this?

Sounds like some goth Al DiMeola.

Many lists around the interwebz say that the greatest guitar solo in the modern rock era is Larry Carlton, on Steely Dan's 'Kid Charlemagne'. While I consider Larry Carlton the greatest living guitarist, and Top 3 all-time, I am ambivalent about this assertion. It IS a fantastic solo, but there are a lot of fantastic solos out there. I became a Larry Carlton fanatic in 1978, with his debut solo album that includes 'Room 335'. There is no one like him, with his musical vocabulary.

But this solo is still my favorite. I've cued it up to right before it starts.

This guitarist, Carlos Rios, turns in this phenomenal solo, and a few years later he's back playing in bar bands. I don't know the story, but I can't imagine it's a good one.

I can agree to that.

Greatest guitarists of all time...

1. Jiminy Hendrix
  2. Eric Clapton
  3. Jeff Beck
  4. Jimmy Page
  5. Eddie Van Halan
  6. Stevie Ray Vaughn
  7. Alvin Lee
  8. Carlos Santana
  9. Lee Ritinour
  10. Jeff Healey

Close, but not quite. He is playing flamenco scale. The song in the OP is a foreign style too, but its the Egyptian scale that John Petrucci is using.

I'm hoping he's recovering from his recent heart attack. I bought that 'Elegant Gypsy' album when it was released. I still have it, along with 'Splendido Hotel', and others. He's just a monster player. Look up his duet with Les Paul on 'Spanish Eyes'.

You have to at least be known before you can become "the undisputed master of guitar". I think pretty much every guitarist and guitar fan on Earth would dispute that claim. :laugh:

Dude, you are way over your head. I understand that Mahavishnu is Ph.D material in a world of grade school players, but all you are demonstrating is your musical ignorance. McLaughlin has been celebrated for over half a century as revolutionary and the state of the art ever since he came to America and joined up with Miles Davis, Mahavishnu, Shakti and everything ever since.

Dude, you are way over your head. I understand that Mahavishnu is Ph.D material in a world of grade school players, but all you are demonstrating is your musical ignorance. McLaughlin has been celebrated for over half a century as revolutionary and the state of the art ever since he came to America and joined up with Miles Davis, Mahavishnu, Shakti and everything ever since.
No, absolutely not. Not even a little bit. :laugh:

Close, but not quite. He is playing flamenco scale. The song in the OP is a foreign style too, but its the Egyptian scale that John Petrucci is using.
If you like the speed of the petrucci guy and don't know DiMeola, you should check him out.

I like to look at underrated guitar players.

This unexpected solo from Christopher Cross was pretty cool.

I'm hoping he's recovering from his recent heart attack. I bought that 'Elegant Gypsy' album when it was released. I still have it, along with 'Splendido Hotel', and others. He's just a monster player. Look up his duet with Les Paul on 'Spanish Eyes'.
Been a fan since the 70s. FYI - my golfing buddy has been recording and touring with Carlton for a few years now.

There is no guitarist from the 70's or earlier that even qualifies to be in this discussion. Clapton would be in the "intermediate" category at Berkley music school if he went there today as an unknown person. Hendrix would too. They arent "experts" by todays standards.
"Today's standards"

The standard to which you refer is a technical standard appreciated by technical people who appreciate technicality. Much of the music world cannnot stand players like Petrucci or Malmsteen and find their "skills" to be musically worthless.

I tend to agree. I listen to humans play guitar to hear them convey things through their instruments. If I need what Malmsteen has to offer, I can just use a computer.

I find the sweep picking by Petrucci to be wholly uninteresting and a parlor trick not worth calling art. And frankly, it's not that hard. If they practice it for a while, intermediate guitarists can do it.

A lot of guitarist simply don't WANT to do it. Because they don't appreciate the results.

And yes, that's very subjective.

Last edited:
I can agree to that.

1. Jiminy Hendrix
  2. Eric Clapton
  3. Jeff Beck
  4. Jimmy Page
  5. Eddie Van Halan
  6. Stevie Ray Vaughn
  7. Alvin Lee
  8. Carlos Santana
  9. Lee Ritinour
  10. Jeff Healey
Where is Glen Campbell?

I can agree to that.

1. Jiminy Hendrix
  2. Eric Clapton
  3. Jeff Beck
  4. Jimmy Page
  5. Eddie Van Halan
  6. Stevie Ray Vaughn
  7. Alvin Lee
  8. Carlos Santana
  9. Lee Ritinour
  10. Jeff Healey
11. Tommy Bolin
12. David Gilmour

You have to at least be known before you can become "the undisputed master of guitar".

The "unknown" guitarist. :laugh:

OIP.Ldhoi--ffApGCF1b7XOicgAAAA.jpeg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16001.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16003.png

s-l16004.jpg

Forum List

Back