Greatest guitar solo of all time

A common misconception:

People see/hear a technical wizard like Petrucci or Malmsteen and think, "Clapton or Albert Lee or Warren Haynes or J Mascis can't do what he does, but he can do ANYTHING they do!"

No. No, he can't. I cannot tell you how many times I have brought a technical wizard into a rehearsal or jam or even a gig and watched them completely fall on their face, when it was their turn to wail out and improv on something besides a click track and a synth progression catered to their favorite style. Or we would get a stale, soulless series of arpeggios and memorized runs. And it was every single time.

No, Petrucci cannot do what Mahavishnu John does.

A common misconception:

People see/hear a technical wizard like Petrucci or Malmsteen and think, "Clapton or Albert Lee or Warren Haynes or J Mascis can't do what he does, but he can do ANYTHING they do!"

No. No, he can't. I cannot tell you how many times I have brought a technical wizard into a rehearsal or jam or even a gig and watched them completely fall on their face, when it was their turn to wail out and improv on something besides a click track and a synth progression catered to their favorite style. Or we would get a stale, soulless series of arpeggios and memorized runs. And it was every single time.

No, Petrucci cannot do what Mahavishnu John does.
The true artists flow through their instruments, regardless of how many notes or how much theory they use.

If no one has mentioned Mick Ronson yet, he deserves honorable mention here. I really loved his playing with David Bowie. He gets into a really nice solo in the latter half of this song:

I like to look at underrated guitar players.

This unexpected solo from Christopher Cross was pretty cool.

That IS surprising. That was a nice little solo there. Who woulda thought? He should have made more music like the end of that song.

This is a bold statement, but i discovered today what i think might be the greatest guitar solo ever. This is Dream Theatres cover of Dio's masterpiece called "Stargazer". I conveniently set up the video to start right at the solo for you all.

Who can show me a cooler solo than this?

Shut the fuck up.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
I agree there is not such a thing as the greatest guitar solo of all time - well, except in parody movies - but this one of Clapton's gave me joy. I'm not sure the backup singers didn't take it, though.

For total disclosure, the OP track gave me no joy at all...

Have you ever seen Clapton finger tap? How about the use of harmonics? Nope. He just plays straight with no exceptional technique involved. Its because he was born too early. Had he been born a couple decades later, he would have been better, but he could only learn from what was available in the 60's and 70's, which was very rudimentary compared to todays standards.
You are still full of shit!

Name me one guitarist today that can play blues as well as Eric Clapton.

Many lists around the interwebz say that the greatest guitar solo in the modern rock era is Larry Carlton, on Steely Dan's 'Kid Charlemagne'. While I consider Larry Carlton the greatest living guitarist, and Top 3 all-time, I am ambivalent about this assertion. It IS a fantastic solo, but there are a lot of fantastic solos out there. I became a Larry Carlton fanatic in 1978, with his debut solo album that includes 'Room 335'. There is no one like him, with his musical vocabulary.

But this solo is still my favorite. I've cued it up to right before it starts.

This guitarist, Carlos Rios, turns in this phenomenal solo, and a few years later he's back playing in bar bands. I don't know the story, but I can't imagine it's a good one.

Another guitarist who was really good, I hate to say it, because he is a major asshole, is Ritchie Blackmore.

Forum List

Back