GOP Congressman Associating with Obama is 'Touching a Tar Baby'

So what's your excuse then? He meant it as he stated it and is just completely unaware that "tar baby" is a racist slur? If so, how dumb does it make that guy in your view?
I have no idea if he knows it has a slang meaning, too.

But, I'm pretty confident that Occam's razor applies here. He stated the exact meaning of the term.

I guess could get more complicated and say that it's a triple entendre - he used the term, he explicitly stated its exact meaning, and then added the third and left it at that. Super-secret code that only a few picked up on.

Sneaky bastard.

Ok, so your position is that he's an idiot.

that's not my position at all. Perhaps the idiots are the ones making this out to be something that it isn't.

Lamborn is 57 years old. I doubt you can find anyone near his age, and of normal intelligence, who doesn't understand the racial implication of "tar baby". Invoking Br'er Rabbit in the Uncle Remus stories won't help his cause...

^------ I rest my case.

Only took 100 post but you found one of USMB's bona-fide racist. To bad for you that is neither a record here (sadly) nor does it rest your so called case.

At least the bona-fide racist isn't hiding behind children's books.

Right. Because, as I said before, you can only see one meaning there.

how2readbook.jpg

Your standard of proof rest on Tank, not Rep. Lamborn. Bully for you.

Last edited:
Only took 100 post but you found one of USMB's bona-fide racist. To bad for you that is neither a record here (sadly) nor does it rest your so called case.

At least the bona-fide racist isn't hiding behind children's books.

Right. Because, as I said before, you can only see one meaning there.

how2readbook.jpg

Your standard of proof rest on Tank, not Rep. Lamborn. Bully for you.

Tank sure as shit affirmed that "tar baby" is a racist slur.

If Lamborn isn't a racist he's a retard.

Everyone knows that "tar baby" is a term to refer to black folks.

So basically this thread has gone how I expected it to. A GOP Congressman says racist shit and a cadre of USMB right wingers are primed and ready to defend his ass.

See post 52

Thanks for playing

See post #22... and try to realize that your opinion is not the ONLY opinion.

A definition from Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary traces the expression to the tar baby that trapped Br'er Rabbit in an Uncle Remus story by Joel Chandler Harris, which became popular in the 19th century. The dictionary now defines the expression as ``something from which it is nearly impossible to extricate oneself."

But it also has been used as a pejorative term for dark-skinned blacks.

In 1981, author Toni Morrison published a novel titled ``Tar Baby," and she has compared the expression to other racial epithets. She says it's a term that white people used to refer to black children, especially black girls.

Thanks for playing, but try a little harder next time ;)

Tar baby?

Why doesn't he call him a Jungle Bunny while he is at it?

My funny for the day, aka: How to say the phrase without actually using it.

Analysis: Angry over debt debate, voters may punish leaders | Reuters

"Nobody's a winner when it comes to ... dysfunctionality and chaos in Washington," said David Axelrod, the top strategist for President Barack Obama's re-election campaign, who spoke in his Chicago offices on Friday before the deal.

"Even though I believe strongly the president's been a force to try and bring some sense and reasonableness to this process, the process itself is an ugly, ugly thing, and so just by dint of being associated with it, you know, you get tainted to some degree."

:eusa_shhh:

Good article, too.

A Washington Post-Pew Research Center Poll released on Monday showed Americans viewed the budget battle in strikingly negative terms, with the word "ridiculous" used by the most respondents to describe it.

Variations of the words "disgusting" and "stupid" came in second and third as descriptions from poll participants.

LAMBORN: Even if some people say ‘well, the Republicans should have done this, or should have done that,’ they will hold the President responsible. Now, I don’t even want to be associated with him, it’s like touching a, a tar baby and you get it…you know you’re stuck and you’re part of the problem and you can’t get away.
Little Green Footballs - Colorado GOP Rep. Doug Lamborn: Associating with Obama is 'Touching a Tar Baby'

What, exactly, is wrong with the term tar-baby to describe a sticky situation? I know some racists use it, does that mean no one else can use it? Is there a list somewhere of words than non racists cannot use or do the racists who like to pretend they are not racists just make it up as they go along?

When it's a blatantly racist term like "tar baby" hell yeah they would be sure to provide "other" meaning.
One meaning is - the slang meaning. One meaning is not - the non-slang meaning. There was no double entendre as he specifically stated the meaning for those too dense to know it.

Yeah, and niggardly is blatantly racist, too. :lmao:

What a meltdown, though. :thup:

So what's your excuse then? He meant it as he stated it and is just completely unaware that "tar baby" is a racist slur? If so, how dumb does it make that guy in your view?

As dumb as someone who is worried that Guam might tip over?

If the guy is actually a racist there should be plenty of evidence out there, go find some and post it. If all you have is one term he used that some people see as being racist I will reserve judgement. If you don't want to go to the trouble of backing up your accusation I can understand that also, just do not expect me to get outraged just because you pretend to be.

Why do I say pretend? Because if it were me, and I thought he was racist, and I was actually outraged, I would find the proof.

QW would you ever refer to something or someone as a "tar baby" in the presence of a black person?

Forum List

Back