GOP Congressman Associating with Obama is 'Touching a Tar Baby'

LAMBORN: Even if some people say ‘well, the Republicans should have done this, or should have done that,’ they will hold the President responsible. Now, I don’t even want to be associated with him, it’s like touching a, a tar baby and you get it…you know you’re stuck and you’re part of the problem and you can’t get away.

Little Green Footballs - Colorado GOP Rep. Doug Lamborn: Associating with Obama is 'Touching a Tar Baby'

Its odd how all of a sudden these accusations are being made the second Biden is caught claiming that "the tea party are the Taliban."

LAMBORN: Even if some people say ‘well, the Republicans should have done this, or should have done that,’ they will hold the President responsible. Now, I don’t even want to be associated with him, it’s like touching a, a tar baby and you get it…you know you’re stuck and you’re part of the problem and you can’t get away.

Little Green Footballs - Colorado GOP Rep. Doug Lamborn: Associating with Obama is 'Touching a Tar Baby'

Its odd how all of a sudden these accusations are being made the second Biden is caught claiming that "the tea party are the Taliban."

Deflection?? Say it ain't so.:lol:

And the obvious is beyond you. He even stated the meaning for the dense. Yeah, that would be you.

:lol:

If you buy that as his sole intent all the power to you.

It makes you a sick fuck but whatev.

Par for the course here.
Dare I ask you to think about something?

Yeah, I will, but I'll warn you up front; I'll be obvious, too. So, brace yourself for that.

If someone were to use a double entendre, they would not provide the exact meaning they meant.

I know - obvious. But, I did warn you.

When it's a blatantly racist term like "tar baby" hell yeah they would be sure to provide "other" meaning.

Yeah, this surely wouldn't have been posted if Biden hadn't gone full retard (well, actually it's pretty normal for him). :rolleyes:

Par for the course here.

Yeah, I will, but I'll warn you up front; I'll be obvious, too. So, brace yourself for that.

If someone were to use a double entendre, they would not provide the exact meaning they meant.

When it's a blatantly racist term like "tar baby" hell yeah they would be sure to provide "other" meaning.
One meaning is - the slang meaning. One meaning is not - the non-slang meaning. There was no double entendre as he specifically stated the meaning for those too dense to know it.

Yeah, and niggardly is blatantly racist, too. :lmao:

What a meltdown, though. :thup:

And the obvious is beyond you. He even stated the meaning for the dense. Yeah, that would be you.

:lol:

Par for the course here.

Maybe it's a triple entendre? :lol:

ZOMG!!!!!

A racist crayon!

racistcrayon.jpg

I feel like NC Rep. Virginia Foxx got in big trouble for similar language back in 2009.... Goodnight the debt deal has sucked all the oxygen out of the room!

Helpful 5 y/o article.

Why "Tar Baby" Is Such a Sticky Phrase - TIME

The concept of tar baby goes way back, according to Words@Random from Random House: "The tar baby is a form of a character widespread in African folklore. In various folktales, gum, wax or other sticky material is used to trap a person." The term itself was popularized by the 19th-century Uncle Remus stories by Joel Chandler Harris, in which the character Br'er Fox makes a doll out of tar to ensnare his nemesis Br'er Rabbit. The Oxford American Dictionary defines tar baby much like Romney used it, "a difficult problem, that is only aggravated by attempts to solve it." But the term also has had racial implications. In his book Coup, John Updike says of a white woman who prefers the company of black men, "some questing chromosome within holds her sexually fast to the tar baby." The Oxford English Dictionary (but not the print version of its American counterpart) says that tar baby is a derogatory term used for "a black or a Maori."

One meaning is - the slang meaning. One meaning is not - the non-slang meaning. There was no double entendre as he specifically stated the meaning for those too dense to know it.

So what's your excuse then? He meant it as he stated it and is just completely unaware that "tar baby" is a racist slur? If so, how dumb does it make that guy in your view?

Helpful 5 y/o article.

Why "Tar Baby" Is Such a Sticky Phrase - TIME

The concept of tar baby goes way back, according to Words@Random from Random House: "The tar baby is a form of a character widespread in African folklore. In various folktales, gum, wax or other sticky material is used to trap a person." The term itself was popularized by the 19th-century Uncle Remus stories by Joel Chandler Harris, in which the character Br'er Fox makes a doll out of tar to ensnare his nemesis Br'er Rabbit. The Oxford American Dictionary defines tar baby much like Romney used it, "a difficult problem, that is only aggravated by attempts to solve it." But the term also has had racial implications. In his book Coup, John Updike says of a white woman who prefers the company of black men, "some questing chromosome within holds her sexually fast to the tar baby." The Oxford English Dictionary (but not the print version of its American counterpart) says that tar baby is a derogatory term used for "a black or a Maori."

......and the Congressman in the OP was elected that same year Romney stepped in it. Kinda tough for him or his defenders to play innocent or ignorant.

So what's your excuse then? He meant it as he stated it and is just completely unaware that "tar baby" is a racist slur? If so, how dumb does it make that guy in your view?
I have no idea if he knows it has a slang meaning, too.

But, I'm pretty confident that Occam's razor applies here. He stated the exact meaning of the term.

I guess could get more complicated and say that it's a triple entendre - he used the term, he explicitly stated its exact meaning, and then added the third and left it at that. Super-secret code that only a few picked up on.

Sneaky bastard.

But, I'm pretty confident that Occam's razor applies here. He stated the exact meaning of the term.

I guess could get more complicated and say that it's a triple entendre - he used the term, he explicitly stated its exact meaning, and then added the third and left it at that. Super-secret code that only a few picked up on.

Sneaky bastard.

Ok, so your position is that he's an idiot.

Sneaky bastard.

Ok, so your position is that he's an idiot.
I have no idea if he is or isn't.

Definition of TAR BABY - A situation or problem from which it is virtually impossible to disentangle oneself. (American Heritage Dictionary)

Several of you have said that you have only heard the term used as a racial slur...apparently you don't read...or didn't as a child. You should check out 'Br'er Rabbit'. It just might teach you some good lessons.

Rep. Doug Lamborn is 57 years old and well within the age to be familiar with the correct usage of the term. Sadly, since EVERYTHING is a racial slur these days, he probably should have considered that ANYTHING he said to compare Obama to a sticky situation that you can't get out of would be inappropriate. For example: Had he said Obama is a walking time bomb, it would have been calling him a terrorist. Or if he had said Obama is the 900 lb gorilla in the room, it would have been a reference to a monkey. If he had used the term "cluster fuck", well, that would have been some stupid reference to a gang rape. So really the only term I can think of that Mr. Lamborn might have used without getting pushed into a contextual corner would have been something like "he's an embarrassment".

Sorry Mr. Lamborn, you can't say anything negative...they'll hang you in the town square and paint a black "R" on your chest.....oops... I mean a white "R"....definitely a white one.

Forum List

Back