Elijah - God's Prophet

My God is more than Wonderful! It brought to mind this song sung long ago by Sandi Patti and Larnell Harris. The title is appropriately titled, More than Wonderful!

I love you Jesus Christ! You are more than wonderful, more than amazing, more than miraculous could ever be! You are Almighty God! I give you praise, Master!

Returning to our study of Elijah and the book of 1 Kings Chapter 22 - we begin here:

1 Kings 22 KJV

Jehoshaphat's Good Reign in Judah

(2 Chronicles 19:4-11; 2 Chronicles 20:31-34)

41And Jehoshaphat the son of Asa began to reign over Judah in the fourth year of Ahab king of Israel. 42Jehoshaphat was thirty and five years old when he began to reign; and he reigned twenty and five years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name wasAzubah the daughter of Shilhi. 43And he walked in all the ways of Asa his father; he turned not aside from it, doing that which was right in the eyes of the LORD: nevertheless the high places were not taken away; for the people offered and burnt incense yet in the high places. 44And Jehoshaphat made peace with the king of Israel.

45Now the rest of the acts of Jehoshaphat, and his might that he shewed, and how he warred, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah? 46And the remnant of the sodomites, which remained in the days of his father Asa, he took out of the land.

47There was then no king in Edom: a deputy was king. 48Jehoshaphat made ships of Tharshish to go to Ophir for gold: but they went not; for the ships were broken at Eziongeber. 49Then said Ahaziah the son of Ahab unto Jehoshaphat, Let my servants go with thy servants in the ships. But Jehoshaphat would not. 50And Jehoshaphat slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David his father: and Jehoram his son reigned in his stead.

Verse 46. - And the remnant of the Sodomites, which remained in the days of his father Asa [It appears hence that Asa's removal of the religious prostitutes (1 Kings 15:12), like that of the high places, had been but partial], he took [Heb.exterminated] out of the land.
Then said Ahaziah the son of Ahab unto Jehoshaphat, Let my servants go with thy servants In the ships. But Jehoshaphat would not.[But we are told in 2 Chronicles 20:37 that the ships were broken, according to a prophecy of Eliezer, the son of Dodavah, because Jehoshaphat had joined himself with Ahaziah. The explanation is that the fleet had been built by the two kings conjointly, and manned by the subjects of Jehoshaphat exclusively; and that, after the disaster, Ahaziah proposed either to repair the injured vessels, or to construct a second fleet, which should then be partly manned by sailors of the northern kingdom, "men probably accustomed to the sea, perhaps trained at Tyre" (Rawlinson). This proposal was declined by the king of Judah, not so much on account of the "reflection on his subjects' skill contained in it," as because of the prophecy of Eliezer, and the evidently judicial disaster which had befallen the fleet already built.]

Last edited:
1 Kings 22 KJV

Ahaziah's Evil Reign in Israel

(1 Samuel 1:1-8; 2 Kings 1:1-16; Psalm 113:1-9)

51Ahaziah the son of Ahab began to reign over Israel in Samaria the seventeenth year of Jehoshaphat king of Judah, and reigned two years over Israel. 52And he did evil in the sight of the LORD, and walked in the way of his father, and in the way of his mother, and in the way of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin: 53For he served Baal, and worshipped him, and provoked to anger the LORD God of Israel, according to all that his father had done.

3 brief commentaries
22:51-53
Ahaziah's reign was very short, not two years; some sinners God makes quick work with.

A very bad character is given of him; he listened not to instruction, took no warning, but followed the example of his wicked father, and the counsel of his more wicked mother, Jezebel, who was still living.

Miserable are the children who not only derive a sinful nature from their parents, but are taught by them to increase it; and most unhappy parents are they, that help to damn their children's souls.

Hardened sinners rush forward, unawed and unmoved, in the ways from which others before them have been driven into everlasting misery.

Pulpit Commentary

Verse 53. -
For he served Baal, and worshipped him, and provoked to anger [or vexed] the Lord God of Israel, according to all that his father had done. [The termination of this book at this point could hardly be more arbitrary if it had been made by accident. These verses are closely connected with 2 Kings ch. 1.

The division here obscures the connexion between the sin of Ahaziah and the judgments which it provoked.]

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

For he served Baal, and worshipped him,.... That is, Ahaziah served him, as his father had done, and his mother still did: and provoked to anger the Lord God of Israel, according to all that his father had done; of which there is an instance in the first chapter of the following book; for falling through a lattice, and becoming sick upon it, he quickly died, having sent messengers to inquire of the god of Ekron whether he should die or not.

Last edited:
Beginning with 2 Kings Chapter 1

2 Kings 1 KJV
Elijah Denounces Ahaziah

(1 Samuel 1:1-8; 1 Kings 22:51-53; Psalm 113:1-9)

1Then Moab rebelled against Israel after the death of Ahab. 2And Ahaziah fell down through a lattice in his upper chamber that was in Samaria, and was sick: and he sent messengers, and said unto them, Go, inquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron whether I shall recover of this disease. 3But the angel of the LORD said to Elijah the Tishbite, Arise, go up to meet the messengers of the king of Samaria, and say unto them, Is itnot because there is not a God in Israel, that ye go to inquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron? 4Now therefore thus saith the LORD, Thou shalt not come down from that bed on which thou art gone up, but shalt surely die. And Elijah departed.

5And when the messengers turned back unto him, he said unto them, Why are ye now turned back? 6And they said unto him, There came a man up to meet us, and said unto us, Go, turn again unto the king that sent you, and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD,Is it not because there is not a God in Israel, that thou sendest to inquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron? therefore thou shalt not come down from that bed on which thou art gone up, but shalt surely die. 7And he said unto them, What manner of man was hewhich came up to meet you, and told you these words? 8And they answered him, He was an hairy man, and girt with a girdle of leather about his loins. And he said, It isElijah the Tishbite.

9Then the king sent unto him a captain of fifty with his fifty. And he went up to him: and, behold, he sat on the top of an hill. And he spake unto him, Thou man of God, the king hath said, Come down. 10And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I be a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.

11Again also he sent unto him another captain of fifty with his fifty. And he answered and said unto him, O man of God, thus hath the king said, Come down quickly. 12And Elijah answered and said unto them, If I be a man of God, let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And the fire of God came down from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.

13And he sent again a captain of the third fifty with his fifty. And the third captain of fifty went up, and came and fell on his knees before Elijah, and besought him, and said unto him, O man of God, I pray thee, let my life, and the life of these fifty thy servants, be precious in thy sight. 14Behold, there came fire down from heaven, and burnt up the two captains of the former fifties with their fifties: therefore let my life now be precious in thy sight. 15And the angel of the LORD said unto Elijah, Go down with him: be not afraid of him. And he arose, and went down with him unto the king. 16And he said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Forasmuch as thou hast sent messengers to inquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron, is it not because there is no God in Israel to inquire of his word? therefore thou shalt not come down off that bed on which thou art gone up, but shalt surely die.

Elijah, Cher's son with Greg Allman, is God's Prophet? Wow, that's so cool. :cool-45:

Commentaries for Ahaziah's death on verse 1:1-8 and specifically verse 6 which states:

And they said unto him, There came a man up to meet us, and said unto us, Go, turn again unto the king that sent you, and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD,Is it not because there is not a God in Israel, that thou sendest to inquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron? therefore thou shalt not come down from that bed on which thou art gone up, but shalt surely die. - This is the prophecy of Ahaziah's death - God's judgment upon Ahaziah for his rebellion / sin of Baal worship.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
1:1-8
When Ahaziah rebelled against the Lord, Moab revolted from him. Sin weakens and impoverishes us.

Man's revolt from God is often punished by the rebellion of those who owe subjection to him. Ahaziah fell through a lattice, or railing. Wherever we go, there is but a step between us and death.

A man's house is his castle, but not to secure him against God's judgments.

The whole creation, which groans under the burden of man's sin, will, at length, sink and break under the weight like this lattice. He is never safe that has God for his enemy.

Those that will not inquire of the word of God for their comfort, shall hear it to their terror, whether they will or not.

.Pulpit Commentary
Verse 3. -

The angel of the Lord. It would be better to translate, with the LXX., an angel (ἄγγελος, notὁ ἄγγελος). An angel had appeared to Elijah on a previous occasion (1 Kings 19:5, 7). Elijah the Tishbite (comp. 1 Kings 17:1; 1 Kings 21:17, 28; 2 Kings 1:8; and for the meaning of the expression,hat-Tishbi, see the comment on 1 Kings 17:1).

Arise, go up. Elijah was, apparently, in the low tract of the Shefelah, or in Sharon, when the messengers started, and was thus commanded to go up and meet them, or intercept them on their journey before they descended into the plain.

God would not have the insult to his majesty, carried out. Is it not because there is not a God in Israel? rather, Is it that there is no God at all in Israel?

The double negative is intensitive, and implies that the king's consultation of Baal-zebub, god of Ekron, is a complete and absolute denial of the Divinity of Jehovah.

To consult a foreign oracle is equivalent to raying that the voice of God is wholly silent in one's own land. This was going further in apostasy than Ahab had gone (see 1 Kings 22:6-9).

But the angel of the Lord said unto Elijah,.... One of the ministering spirits sent by the Lord to him: arise, go up to meet the messengers of the king of Samaria: that is, the king of Israel, whose capital city was Samaria: is it not because there is not a God in Israel; known, acknowledged, and worshipped there, of whom there had been sufficient proof of his deity and divine perfections, as omniscience, omnipotence, &c. that ye go to inquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron? about future things, when they had God nigh unto them, fully acquainted with them, as this message shows.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

3. the angel of the Lord—not an angel, but the angel, who carried on all communications between the invisible God and His chosen people [Hengstenberg].

This angel commissioned Elijah to meet the king's messengers, to stop them peremptorily on the idolatrous errand, and convey by them to the king information of his approaching death. This consultation of an idol, being a breach of the fundamental law of the kingdom (Ex 20:3; De 5:7), was a daring and deliberate rejection of the national religion.

The Lord, in making this announcement of his death, designed that he should see in that event a judgment for his idolatry.
We will find throughout the history of the prophets that they were sent to warn those who had gone off into idolatry and Baal Worship. At the risk of their own lives - for some of the Hebrew prophets such as Jeremiah and Ezekiel - they were murdered by the Jews for warning them that they had sinned against God by going off into idolatry. Idolatry is a sin against God. Those who refuse to repent of this sin shall suffer the fires of hell for all eternity.

Jehoram Succeeds Ahaziah

17So he died according to the word of the LORD which Elijah had spoken. And Jehoram reigned in his stead in the second year of Jehoram the son of Jehoshaphat king of Judah; because he had no son.

18Now the rest of the acts of Ahaziah which he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel?

2 Kings 1 KJV

Jehoram Succeeds Ahaziah

17So he died according to the word of the LORD which Elijah had spoken. And Jehoram reigned in his stead in the second year of Jehoram the son of Jehoshaphat king of Judah; because he had no son.

18Now the rest of the acts of Ahaziah which he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel?
-----------------------------
commentaries on what we've read thus far concerning Elijah calling down fire from heaven and why the third captain's life and army were spared. The judgment of Ahaziah - etc. comments.....included.

1:9-18 Elijah called for fire from heaven, to consume the haughty, daring sinners; not to secure himself, but to prove his mission, and to reveal the wrath of God from heaven, against the ungodliness and unrighteousness of men.

Elijah did this by a Divine impulse, yet our Saviour would not allow the disciples to do the like, Lu 9:54. The dispensation of the Spirit and of grace by no means allowed it.

Elijah was concerned for God's glory, those for their own reputation. The Lord judges men's practices by their principles, and his judgment is according to truth.

The third captain humbled himself, and cast himself upon the mercy of God and Elijah.

There is nothing to be got by contending with God; and those are wise for themselves, who learn submission from the fatal end of obstinacy in others.

The courage of faith has often struck terror into the heart of the proudest sinner. So thunderstruck is Ahaziah with the prophet's words, that neither he, nor any about him, offer him violence.

Who can harm those whom God shelters?

Many who think to prosper in sin, are called hence like Ahaziah, when they do not expect it.

All warns us to seek the Lord while he may be found.
Note what was mentioned on the matter of nothing to be gained by contending with God. It is a lesson to those who witness the severity of the judgment of God upon those who dare to do it. Including the mention of how Ahaziah was so dumbfounded by the prophet's words that he dared not threaten him. One more reminder - which we read in this commentary above - posed in a question? Whom can harm who God shelters? No one. Not the most wicked king on earth can harm you when you are sheltered by God Almighty. There is no greater security than to know that you are under the shadow of the Almighty (see Psalm 91) and that you have been given the favor of God upon your life - your coming in - your going out - that God is covering you. There is nothing on earth that can compare with that and who would trade it for earthly things? Would that not be a most foolish thing to do?
Next commentary - 2
Pulpit Commentary

Verse 17a. -
So he died according to the word of the Lord which Elijah had spoken. Not only did he die in consequence of his fall without once quitting his bed, but his death was, as Elijah had said, a judgment on his sin in sending to consult Baal-zebub. REIGN OF JEHORAM.
Jehoram Succeeds Ahaziah

2 Kings 2 KJV

Elijah Taken to Heaven

1And it came to pass, when the LORD would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal. 2And Elijah said unto Elisha, Tarry here, I pray thee; for the LORD hath sent me to Bethel. And Elisha said unto him, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they went down to Bethel. 3And the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he said, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace.

4And Elijah said unto him, Elisha, tarry here, I pray thee; for the LORD hath sent me to Jericho. And he said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they came to Jericho. 5And the sons of the prophets that were at Jericho came to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he answered, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace. 6And Elijah said unto him, Tarry, I pray thee, here; for the LORD hath sent me to Jordan. And he said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. And they two went on.

7And fifty men of the sons of the prophets went, and stood to view afar off: and they two stood by Jordan. 8And Elijah took his mantle, and wrapped it together, and smote the waters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground.

9And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me. 10And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing:nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so. 11And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. 12And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces. 13He took up also the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and went back, and stood by the bank of Jordan; 14And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the LORD God of Elijah? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither: and Elisha went over.

2:1-8 The Lord had let Elijah know that his time was at hand. He therefore went to the different schools of the prophets to give them his last exhortations and blessing. The removal of Elijah was a type and figure of the ascension of Christ, and the opening of the kingdom of heaven to all believers. Elisha had long followed Elijah, and he would not leave him now when he hoped for the parting blessing. Let not those who follow Christ come short by tiring at last. The waters of Jordan, of old, yielded to the ark; now, to the prophet's mantle, as a token of God's presence. When God will take up his faithful ones to heaven, death is the Jordan which they must pass through, and they find a way through it. The death of Christ has divided those waters, that the ransomed of the Lord may pass over. O death, where is thy sting, thy hurt, thy terror!
As you will note Matthew Henry points out that Elijah is a type of Christ - a picture of Jesus Christ - even as Phillip Keller did in his book Elijah - Prophet of Power. As you read each book of the bible you will find that all 66 Books of the Bible - both Old and New Testament are a type - a picture of Jesus Christ. It is said by some that Joseph is the most perfect picture of / type of Jesus Christ. (because there was no mention of any sin Joseph had committed) What the LORD showed me about Joseph was it was a picture of Jesus Christ revealing himself to his own brethren - who had believed him to be dead - what they had done to Joseph they had done out of envy - because Joseph was the favored son of his father -they understood not ---> that Joseph had been chosen of God to be their Deliverer and therein save their lives (in the future) but when Joseph removed his disguise and revealed himself to his brothers he told them that what they had meant for evil God had meant for a great deliverance. (THEIR OWN)

This is the picture of Jesus Christ who is the Great Deliverer of the Jewish people (and of the World) but not realizing this was what God sent Jesus Christ to do - they sought for His death and cried out, Give us Barrabus! Preferring to see Jesus put to death over the one who was found guilty of his crimes (Barrabus) and again we see Christ in this because he took our place at the cross paying for our sins while He was the pure spotless lamb of God - the Only One able to do this for us. I praise Jesus for my Salvation. What a precious gift I have received. Have you received Christ yet, Beloved? You can do so today. Whosoever calls upon the name of the LORD shall be saved. It matters not what sin you have committed - there is room at the cross for you. Read Romans 10: 8,9,10 today and receive Jesus as your LORD and Savior. Today is the day of Salvation.

Last edited:
This story won't be complete until we see how God deals with Jezebel but before we close on the story of Elijah - let us revisit a few interesting facts that might otherwise be overlooked.

In these closing remarks I will quote Philip Keller - in his book, Elijah Prophet of Power. *

1st - Keller writes:

The special revelation of God's Word to us is that he does know every intimate detail of our lives. Every move we make, every thought we think, every intention we entertain is wide open to his view. He knows us better than we know ourselves. For confirmation of this one we need only read such passages as Psalm 139.

Ahab's covetousness: his desire to take that which was not rightfully his, his acquiescence to his wife's diabolical death plan: his indifference to the murder of an innocent man, his refusal to reverse the course of events, his placid submission to the scandalous designs of his devilish queen, his selfishness in seizing a poor man's property - all these were abhorrent to God. He, the Almighty, was fully aware of all that went on. Now it would have to stop.
-Phillip Keller - Elijah - God's prophet of Power

Point two coming up!

*Elijah - Prophet of Power by Phillip Keller is a must read! Look for a copy - perhaps a used bookstore has one in your town. I found mine used online.

Last edited:
In closing the story of Elijah - I am strongly recommending people to read Phillip Keller's book on Elijah if you are able to find it. I found my online used and although it was expensive it was worth every penny. There is no one who had done a finer job of capturing the essence of Elijah and his heart towards God and for Israel. His passion for holiness is without question and his hatred for Baal worship and sin is apparent on every page. Keller's book will resonate with the reader who desires a closer walk with God.

The second point Keller makes.

He writes....

So Elijah, who so long ago fled in fear from the same spot, was back to declare God's apocalyptic judgments upon this cruel couple. (Ahab and Jezebel) This day Elijah did not stand in fear or apprehension. Instead, he stood strong and sure in the Spirit of his Lord. Like tremendous hammer blows falling upon his anvil - hard heart, Ahab listened with bowed head.

Ahab, you have sold out completely to sin and evil.
Ahab, all your male offspring will be cut off and perish.
Ahab, your royal lineage is to terminate.
Ahab, your blood will be licked up, by dogs in the same spot where Naboth's blood was spilled.
Ahab, your wife Jezebel's corpse shall be consumed by dogs in the city of Jezreel.
Ahab, your sins have brought their own ultimate disaster upon you and your dynasty.

- Phillip Keller - Elijah - Prophet of Power

Last edited:
Final statement from Phillip Keller on Elijah........

Keller writes.........

It demanded great courage and confident certitude for Elijah to deliver such severe imprecations to his monarch. Only a man closely attuned to the Spirit of the Living Lord would dare to be so brave.

It takes enormous integrity to be a spokesman for God. A world set against him never welcomes the tough truths entrusted to the fearless, flaming prophets. More often than not the first reaction of those rebuked is simply to slay the spokesman, still his voice, silence his warning, sever his service.

Ahab and Jezebel may have intended to do this at once to Elijah. But not this time. The queen may have threatened to take the prophet's life just as she had arranged the murder of Naboth. But not this time.

Both Ahab and Jezebel might well have preferred never to see the flaming desert firebrand again. But not this time. He would be back.

In the meantime Ahab saw himself for the first time as he really was. He saw something of the awfulness of his own wrongdoing. He saw that in submitting to his own selfish designs and desires he had literally enslaved himself to sin. He saw that he was in very fact not a free king to act in any way he wished. Rather he was a mere man shackled to his own self-centered lusts by chains forged in the heated fury of his own selfish behavior. Of course his wife and queen had been no help to him. In fact she had been like the bellows that blew the flame of his passions and perverseness into even greater heat and fury.

It is a deluded fool who believes that because he can do as he wishes , go wherever he likes, behave as he may choose, that he is fully free. The opposite is true, for until God, in Christ, comes upon men and women to set them free from the bondage to their old self-centeredness, they remain slaves to sin, slaves to themselves. Only the coming of God in mercy sets a soul free from the follow of the old ways, to walk in humility.
-Phillip Keller - Elijah Prophet of Power

Amen, Brother Phillip! Amen!

2 Kings 2 KJV

Elisha Succeeds Elijah

15And when the sons of the prophets which were to view at Jericho saw him, they said, The spirit of Elijah doth rest on Elisha. And they came to meet him, and bowed themselves to the ground before him. 16And they said unto him, Behold now, there be with thy servants fifty strong men; let them go, we pray thee, and seek thy master: lest peradventure the Spirit of the LORD hath taken him up, and cast him upon some mountain, or into some valley. And he said, Ye shall not send. 17And when they urged him till he was ashamed, he said, Send. They sent therefore fifty men; and they sought three days, but found him not. 18And when they came again to him, (for he tarried at Jericho,) he said unto them, Did I not say unto you, Go not?
2:13-18 Elijah left his mantle to Elisha; as a token of the descent of the Spirit upon him; it was more than if he had left him thousands of gold and silver. Elisha took it up, not as a sacred relic to be worshipped, but as a significant garment to be worn. Now that Elijah was taken to heaven, Elisha inquired, 1. After God; when our creature-comforts are removed, we have a God to go to, who lives for ever. 2. After the God that Elijah served, and honoured, and pleaded for. The Lord God of the holy prophets is the same yesterday, to-day, and for ever; but what will it avail us to have the mantles of those that are gone, their places, their books, if we have not their spirit, their God? See Elisha's dividing the river; God's people need not fear at last passing through the Jordan of death as on dry ground. The sons of the prophets made a needless search for Elijah. Wise men may yield to that, for the sake of peace, and the good opinion of others, which yet their judgment is against, as needless and fruitless. Traversing hills and valleys will never bring us to Elijah, but following the example of his holy faith and zeal will, in due time.

Pulpit Commentary
Verse 15. - And when the sons of the prophets, which were to view at Jericho (see ver. 7), saw him, they said, The spirit of Elijah cloth rest on Elisha. It is not quite clear upon what grounds the sons of the prophets came to this conclusion. Probably they had seen the passage of the Jordan by the two prophets, the disappearance of Elijah, and the return of Elisha across the stream in a way which they may have suspected to be miraculous. But the Jordan is four or five miles distant from the city of Jericho, and their apprehension of the various circumstances would be incomplete, and more or less vague. Perhaps there was something in Elisha's appearance and expression of countenance which impressed them, and appeared to them to mark his exaltation to a higher dignity and spiritual position. And they came to meet him; and bowed themselves to the ground before him; thus acknowledging him for their master, as they had been wont to acknowledge Elijah.

And when the sons of the prophets, which were to view at Jericho, saw him,.... Who went out from thence towards Jordan, to have a sight if they could of the assumption of Elijah; these, when they saw Elisha come over Jordan, the waters being parted by him: they said, the spirit of Elijah doth rest on Elisha; or he has the same power and spirit to work miracles as he had, which they discerned by his dividing the waters of Jordan with his mantle: and they came to meet him, and bowed themselves to the ground before him; in reverence of him as their master, in the room of Elijah.

2 Kings 2 KJV

Elisha Heals Jericho's Waters

19And the men of the city said unto Elisha, Behold, I pray thee, the situation of this cityis pleasant, as my lord seeth: but the water is naught, and the ground barren. 20And he said, Bring me a new cruse, and put salt therein. And they brought it to him. 21And he went forth unto the spring of the waters, and cast the salt in there, and said, Thus saith the LORD, I have healed these waters; there shall not be from thence any more death or barren land. 22So the waters were healed unto this day, according to the saying of Elisha which he spake.

2:19-25
Observe the miracle of healing the waters. Prophets should make every place to which they come better for them, endeavouring to sweeten bitter spirits, and to make barren souls fruitful, by the word of God, which is like the salt cast into the water by Elisha.

It was an apt emblem of the effect produced by the grace of God on the sinful heart of man. Whole families, towns, and cities, sometimes have a new appearance through the preaching of the gospel; wickedness and evil have been changed into fruitfulness in the works of righteousness, which are, through Christ, to the praise and glory of God. Here is a curse on the youths of Bethel, enough to destroy them; it was not a curse causeless, for it was Elisha's character, as God's prophet, that they abused.

They bade him go up, reflecting on the taking up of Elijah into heaven. The prophet acted by Divine impulse. If the Holy Spirit had not directed Elisha's solemn curse, the providence of God would not have followed it with judgment.

The Lord must be glorified as a righteous God who hates sin, and will reckon for it.

Let young persons be afraid of speaking wicked words, for God notices what they say.

Let them not mock at any for defects in mind or body; especially it is at their peril, if they scoff at any for well doing.

Let parents that would have comfort in their children, train them up well, and do their utmost betimes to drive out the foolishness that is bound up in their hearts. And what will be the anguish of those parents, at the day of judgment, who witness the everlasting condemnation of their offspring, occasioned by their own bad example, carelessness, or wicked teaching!
This is such a great commentary on these scriptures! We have a generation of young people being brought up in churches that do not preach the Word of God - they do not preach on hell, holiness, repentance, purity, fasting and prayer! (They also do not warn them that there is a Judgment from God on those who mock His servants or speak against them).

The false preachers in some pulpits today - many of them - do not even use a Bible in their sermons! Their Gospel is one of hedonism, false prosperity preaching, license to sin, a false grace gospel that teaches the people they won't be held accountable for their words, their actions which are sinful, their sinful deeds, the thoughts in their hearts that they entertain that are sinful against God!

When Jesus Christ told us that the path to heaven was narrow? He meant it! When Jesus Christ taught that wide is the road -the way that seemeth right but leads to death? He meant it and He was speaking of hell!

Without holiness no one will see the LORD. The Body of Christ needs to be presented as a pure Bride before Christ -our garment must be spotless and without wrinkle! God is not giving His Son in marriage to a Prostitute. God is giving His Son in marriage to a pure Bride who is waiting upon Him as a wise virgin. We must get ourselves in line with the Word of God and teach our children the Pure Word of God - not what is coming out of so many of the pulpits of America today.

God's Word says, My people perish for lack of knowledge. Knowledge of what? His Word! Many professing Christians do not even know what is in there! How sad! How terribly sad!

Last edited:
Elisha Mocked

23And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. 24And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them. 25And he went from thence to mount Carmel, and from thence he returned to Samaria.

Commentary 1 -
And he turned back, and looked on them,.... With a stern countenance, thereby reproving them, and in order to intimidate them, and make them ashamed, and cause them to leave off, but to no purpose; they repeated their mockeries with great vehemence: and cursed them in the name of the Lord; moved thereunto, not from passion and a spirit of revenge, but by an impulse of the Spirit of God:

and there came forth two she bears out of the wood; which are fiercest, and especially when bereaved of their whelps, as these might be; the wood seems to be near to Bethel, perhaps in the wilderness of Bethel, of which see Joshua 8:15, and Reland (y) thinks it is the same with the wood of Ephraim, 2 Samuel 18:6, though the Jews, to increase the miracle, say (z) there was no wood at all, and, if there was, that there were no bears in it; but though those creatures are mostly in northern countries, yet there were of them in Judea,

see 1 Samuel 17:34. and tare forty and two children of them; it seems there were more than these; but such a number of them they tore to pieces and destroyed; which was very extraordinary, and was an awful punishment for their wickedness, which they knowingly and willingly committed, and of their parents in them, who had trained them up in such impiety, and put them upon it, and sent them out to do it.

(n) Perceiving their malicious heart against the Lord and his word, he asks God to avenge the injury done to him.
On this occasion only do we find Elisha a minister of vengeance. Perhaps it was necessary to show, at the outset of his career as a prophet, that he too, so mild and peaceful could, like Elijah, wield the terrors of God's judgments (1 Kings 19:19 note).

The persons really punished were, not so much the children, as the wicked parents 2 Kings 2:23, whose mouth-pieces the children were, and who justly lost the gift of offspring of which they had shown themselves unworthy.

Last edited:
2 Kings 3 KJV

Jehoram Overcomes Moab's Revolt

1Now Jehoram the son of Ahab began to reign over Israel in Samaria the eighteenth year of Jehoshaphat king of Judah, and reigned twelve years. 2And he wrought evil in the sight of the LORD; but not like his father, and like his mother: for he put away the image of Baal that his father had made. 3Nevertheless he cleaved unto the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, which made Israel to sin; he departed not therefrom.

4And Mesha king of Moab was a sheepmaster, and rendered unto the king of Israel an hundred thousand lambs, and an hundred thousand rams, with the wool. 5But it came to pass, when Ahab was dead, that the king of Moab rebelled against the king of Israel.6And king Jehoram went out of Samaria the same time, and numbered all Israel. 7And he went and sent to Jehoshaphat the king of Judah, saying, The king of Moab hath rebelled against me: wilt thou go with me against Moab to battle? And he said, I will go up: I am as thou art, my people as thy people, and my horses as thy horses. 8And he said, Which way shall we go up? And he answered, The way through the wilderness of Edom.

9So the king of Israel went, and the king of Judah, and the king of Edom: and they fetched a compass of seven days' journey: and there was no water for the host, and for the cattle that followed them. 10And the king of Israel said, Alas! that the LORD hath called these three kings together, to deliver them into the hand of Moab! 11But Jehoshaphat said, Is there not here a prophet of the LORD, that we may inquire of the LORD by him? And one of the king of Israel's servants answered and said, Here isElisha the son of Shaphat, which poured water on the hands of Elijah. 12And Jehoshaphat said, The word of the LORD is with him. So the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat and the king of Edom went down to him.

13And Elisha said unto the king of Israel, What have I to do with thee? get thee to the prophets of thy father, and to the prophets of thy mother. And the king of Israel said unto him, Nay: for the LORD hath called these three kings together, to deliver them into the hand of Moab. 14And Elisha said, As the LORD of hosts liveth, before whom I stand, surely, were it not that I regard the presence of Jehoshaphat the king of Judah, I would not look toward thee, nor see thee. 15But now bring me a minstrel. And it came to pass, when the minstrel played, that the hand of the LORD came upon him. 16And he said, Thus saith the LORD, Make this valley full of ditches. 17For thus saith the LORD, Ye shall not see wind, neither shall ye see rain; yet that valley shall be filled with water, that ye may drink, both ye, and your cattle, and your beasts. 18And this is but a light thing in the sight of the LORD: he will deliver the Moabites also into your hand. 19And ye shall smite every fenced city, and every choice city, and shall fell every good tree, and stop all wells of water, and mar every good piece of land with stones. 20And it came to pass in the morning, when the meat offering was offered, that, behold, there came water by the way of Edom, and the country was filled with water.

21And when all the Moabites heard that the kings were come up to fight against them, they gathered all that were able to put on armour, and upward, and stood in the border.22And they rose up early in the morning, and the sun shone upon the water, and the Moabites saw the water on the other side as red as blood: 23And they said, This isblood: the kings are surely slain, and they have smitten one another: now therefore, Moab, to the spoil. 24And when they came to the camp of Israel, the Israelites rose up and smote the Moabites, so that they fled before them: but they went forward smiting the Moabites, even in their country. 25And they beat down the cities, and on every good piece of land cast every man his stone, and filled it; and they stopped all the wells of water, and felled all the good trees: only in Kirharaseth left they the stones thereof; howbeit the slingers went about it, and smote it. 26And when the king of Moab saw that the battle was too sore for him, he took with him seven hundred men that drew swords, to break through even unto the king of Edom: but they could not. 27Then he took his eldest son that should have reigned in his stead, and offered him for a burnt offering upon the wall. And there was great indignation against Israel: and they departed from him, and returned to their own land.
The king of Israel laments their distress, and the danger they were in. He called these kings together, yet he charges it upon Providence. Thus the foolishness of man perverteth his way, and then his heart fretteth against the Lord, Pr 19:3. It was well that Jehoshaphat inquired of the Lord now, but it had been much better if he had done it before he engaged in this war. Good men sometimes neglect their duty, till necessity and affliction drive them to it.

Wicked people often fare the better for the friendship and society of the godly. To try their faith and obedience, Elisha bids them make the valley full of pits to receive water. Those who expect God's blessings, must dig pools for the rain to fill, as in the valley of Baca, and thus make even that a well, Ps 84:6. We need not inquire whence the water came. God is not tied to second causes.

They that sincerely seek for the dew of God's grace, shall have it, and by it be made more than conquerors.

Pulpit Commentary

Verse 14. - And Elisha said, As the Lord of hosts liveth, before whom I stand, surely, were it not that I regard the presence of Jehoshaphat, the king of Judah, I would not look toward thee, nor see thee.Jehoshaphat's conduct had not been blameless; he had twice incurred the rebuke of a prophet for departures from the line of strict duty - once for "helping the ungodly" Ahab at Ramoth-Gilead (2 Chronicles 19:2); and a second time for "joining himself with Ahaziah to make ships to go to Ophir" (2 Chronicles 20:36; comp. 1 Kings 22:48).

Even now he was engaged in an expedition which had received no Divine sanction, and was allied with two idolatrous monarchs.

But Elisha condones these derelictions of duty in consideration of the king's honesty of purpose and steady attachment to Jehovah, which is witnessed to by the authors both of Kings (1 Kings 22:43; 2 Kings 3:11) and Chronicles (2 Chronicles 17:3-6; 2 Chronicles 19:4-11; 2 Chronicles 20:5-21, etc.).

He "regards the presence of Jehoshaphat," and therefore consents to return an answer to the three kings, and announce to them the mode of their deliverance. The adjuration wherewith he opens his speech is one of great solemnity, only used upon very special occasions (see 1 Kings 17:1; 2 Kings 5:16), and adds great force to his declaration.

Elisha said, as the Lord of hosts liveth, before whom I stand,.... Whose minster and prophet he was, to whom he prayed, and whose service he was ready to perform: surely, were it not that I regard the presence of Jehoshaphat the king of Judah; revere him not only as a king, but as a pious prince, and a worshipper of the true God: I would not look toward thee, nor see thee; give him no countenance at all, pay no regard to his request, not so much as to look at him in a civil way; but turn away his face from him with contempt and disdain, as unworthy to be conversed with by a prophet of the Lord.

Last edited:
2 Kings 4 KJV

Elisha Multiplies the Widow's Oil

1Now there cried a certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets unto Elisha, saying, Thy servant my husband is dead; and thou knowest that thy servant did fear the LORD: and the creditor is come to take unto him my two sons to be bondmen.2And Elisha said unto her, What shall I do for thee? tell me, what hast thou in the house? And she said, Thine handmaid hath not any thing in the house, save a pot of oil.3Then he said, Go, borrow thee vessels abroad of all thy neighbours, even empty vessels; borrow not a few. 4And when thou art come in, thou shalt shut the door upon thee and upon thy sons, and shalt pour out into all those vessels, and thou shalt set aside that which is full. 5So she went from him, and shut the door upon her and upon her sons, who brought the vessels to her; and she poured out. 6And it came to pass, when the vessels were full, that she said unto her son, Bring me yet a vessel. And he said unto her, There is not a vessel more. And the oil stayed. 7Then she came and told the man of God. And he said, Go, sell the oil, and pay thy debt, and live thou and thy children of the rest.

Commentary -

4:1-7

Elisha's miracles were acts of real charity: Christ's were so; not only great wonders, but great favours to those for whom they were wrought. God magnifies his goodness with his power.

Elisha readily received a poor widow's complaint. Those that leave their families under a load of debt, know not what trouble they cause. It is the duty of all who profess to follow the Lord, while they trust to God for daily bread, not to tempt him by carelessness or extravagance, nor to contract debts; for nothing tends more to bring reproach upon the gospel, or distresses their families more when they are gone.

Elisha put the widow in a way to pay her debt, and to maintain herself and her family. This was done by miracle, but so as to show what is the best method to assist those who are in distress, which is, to help them to improve by their own industry what little they have. The oil, sent by miracle, continued flowing as long as she had empty vessels to receive it.

We are never straitened in God, or in the riches of his grace; all our straitness is in ourselves. It is our faith that fails, not his promise.

He gives more than we ask: were there more vessels, there is enough in God to fill them; enough for all, enough for each; and the Redeemer's all-sufficiency will only be stayed from the supplying the wants of sinners and saving their souls, when no more apply to him for salvation.

The widow must pay her debt with the money she received for her oil. Though her creditors were too hard with her, yet they must be paid, even before she made any provision for her children.

It is one of the main laws of the Christian religion, that we pay every just debt, and give every one his own, though we leave ever so little for ourselves; and this, not of constraint, but for conscience' sake. Those who bear an honest mind, cannot with pleasure eat their daily bread, unless it be their own bread.

She and her children must live upon the rest; that is, upon the money received for the oil, with which they must put themselves into a way to get an honest livelihood. We cannot now expect miracles, yet we may expect mercies, if we wait on God, and seek to him. Let widows in particular depend upon him. He that has all hearts in his hand, can, without a miracle, send as effectual a supply.

Second commentary -

Pulpit Commentary

Verse 6. - And it came to pass, when the vessels were full, that she said unto her son, Bring me yet a vessel. It did not occur to her that all the vessels had been already filled; so she asked her son for another, that she might fill it. And he said unto her, There is not a vessel more; i.e. all the vessels that we have in the house are full; there remains no empty one. And the oil stayed.

God will not have waste. If the oil had continued to flow, it would have fallen on the floor of the house, and have been of no service to any one. Therefore, when all the vessels were full, there was a sudden stoppage.

Last edited:
2 Kings 4 KJV

The Shunammite Woman

(Matthew 10:40-42)

8And it fell on a day, that Elisha passed to Shunem, where was a great woman; and she constrained him to eat bread. And so it was, that as oft as he passed by, he turned in thither to eat bread. 9And she said unto her husband, Behold now, I perceive that thisis an holy man of God, which passeth by us continually. 10Let us make a little chamber, I pray thee, on the wall; and let us set for him there a bed, and a table, and a stool, and a candlestick: and it shall be, when he cometh to us, that he shall turn in thither.

11And it fell on a day, that he came thither, and he turned into the chamber, and lay there. 12And he said to Gehazi his servant, Call this Shunammite. And when he had called her, she stood before him. 13And he said unto him, Say now unto her, Behold, thou hast been careful for us with all this care; what is to be done for thee? wouldest thou be spoken for to the king, or to the captain of the host? And she answered, I dwell among mine own people. 14And he said, What then is to be done for her? And Gehazi answered, Verily she hath no child, and her husband is old. 15And he said, Call her. And when he had called her, she stood in the door. 16And he said, About this season, according to the time of life, thou shalt embrace a son. And she said, Nay, my lord, thouman of God, do not lie unto thine handmaid.

17And the woman conceived, and bare a son at that season that Elisha had said unto her, according to the time of life.

Elisha was well thought of by the king of Israel for his late services; a good man can take as much pleasure in serving others, as in raising himself. But the Shunammite needed not any good offices of this kind. It is a happiness to dwell among our own people, that love and respect us, and to whom we are able to do good. It would be well with many, if they did but know when they are really well off.

The Lord sees the secret wish which is suppressed in obedience to his will, and he will hear the prayers of his servants in behalf of their benefactors, by sending unasked-for and unexpected mercies; nor must the professions of men of God be supposed to be delusive like those of men of the world.

Pulpit Commentary

Verse 13.

- And he said unto him, Say now unto her, Behold, thou hast been careful - literally,anxious - for us with all this care - or, anxiety; i.e.thou hast taken all this trouble in lodging both me and my servant, and in attending on us - what is to be done for thee? or, What is there that thou wouldest have done for thee? Is there anything that we can do for thee in return?

Wouldest thou be spoken for to the king? Elisha assumes that he has credit at court, and offers to use it in the Shunammite's favor, if she has any request to prefer. We see something of his influence in 2 Kings 6:9-12, 21-23; 2 Kings 8:4-6.

Or to the captain of the host?

i.e. the person whose authority and influence was next to that of the king.

And she answered, I dwell among mine own people; i.e. "The court is nothing to me. I want nothing from it. I have no wrong to complain of, no quarrel with any of my neighbors, so as to need the help of one m power. I dwell peaceably among them. They are 'my own people' - friends or dependents."

The reply is that of one perfectly content with her position.

Perhaps she aims at impressing on Elisha that she has had no selfish motive in what she has done for him, but has merely wished to honor God in his prophet.

And he said unto him,...., To Gehazi, before he went to call her: say now unto her, behold, thou hast been careful for us with all this care; in building a chamber, and furnishing it with proper household goods, and providing food for them from time to time: what is to be done for thee? can anything be thought of by thee that will be acceptable, and in my masters power to do for thee, or thy husband? wouldest thou be spoken for to the king, or to the captain of the host? that her husband might be promoted to some post in the court, or in the camp; intimating, that if either of these was agreeable, Elisha would speak on his behalf, having interest in both through his services in Edom: and she answered, I will dwell among my own people she was content and satisfied with her present state of life, and the situation she was in, and with her friends and neighbours she lived among, and did not care to remove, though it was to a higher rank of life, and to greater dignity and honour; and she had no suit to make to the king or general, nothing to complain of; and she had friends enough to speak for her, should she want any assistance.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

13-16.

what is to be done for thee?—Wishing to testify his gratitude for the hospitable attentions of this family, he announced to her the birth of a son "about this time next year." The interest and importance of such an intelligence can only be estimated by considering that Oriental women, and Jewish in particular, connect ideas of disgrace with barrenness, and cherish a more ardent desire for children than women in any other part of the world (Ge 18:10-15).

Last edited:
2 Kings 4 KJV

Elisha Raises the Shunammite's Son

18And when the child was grown, it fell on a day, that he went out to his father to the reapers. 19And he said unto his father, My head, my head. And he said to a lad, Carry him to his mother. 20And when he had taken him, and brought him to his mother, he sat on her knees till noon, and then died. 21And she went up, and laid him on the bed of the man of God, and shut the door upon him, and went out. 22And she called unto her husband, and said, Send me, I pray thee, one of the young men, and one of the asses, that I may run to the man of God, and come again. 23And he said, Wherefore wilt thou go to him to day? it is neither new moon, nor sabbath. And she said, It shall be well.24Then she saddled an ass, and said to her servant, Drive, and go forward; slack notthy riding for me, except I bid thee. 25So she went and came unto the man of God to mount Carmel. And it came to pass, when the man of God saw her afar off, that he said to Gehazi his servant, Behold, yonder is that Shunammite: 26Run now, I pray thee, to meet her, and say unto her, Is it well with thee? is it well with thy husband? is it well with the child? And she answered, It is well.

27And when she came to the man of God to the hill, she caught him by the feet: but Gehazi came near to thrust her away. And the man of God said, Let her alone; for her soul is vexed within her: and the LORD hath hid it from me, and hath not told me. 28Then she said, Did I desire a son of my lord? did I not say, Do not deceive me?

29Then he said to Gehazi, Gird up thy loins, and take my staff in thine hand, and go thy way: if thou meet any man, salute him not; and if any salute thee, answer him not again: and lay my staff upon the face of the child.

30And the mother of the child said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. And he arose, and followed her.

31And Gehazi passed on before them, and laid the staff upon the face of the child; but there was neither voice, nor hearing. Wherefore he went again to meet him, and told him, saying, The child is not awaked.

32And when Elisha was come into the house, behold, the child was dead, and laid upon his bed.

33He went in therefore, and shut the door upon them twain, and prayed unto the LORD. 34And he went up, and lay upon the child, and put his mouth upon his mouth, and his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands upon his hands: and he stretched himself upon the child; and the flesh of the child waxed warm. 35Then he returned, and walked in the house to and fro; and went up, and stretched himself upon him: and the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes. 36And he called Gehazi, and said, Call this Shunammite. So he called her. And when she was come in unto him, he said, Take up thy son. 37Then she went in, and fell at his feet, and bowed herself to the ground, and took up her son, and went out.
I have a few comments to make here - In verse 27 we see that Gehazi is dull - he cannot discern in the spirit what is wrong with this woman. He pushes her away - he lacks compassion - take note of this - Elisha says - leave her alone - she is vexed in her spirit - Elisha knows because he is spiritually in tune with God - he can discern in the spirit when something is wrong while Gehazi is not able to discern anything.

In verse 29,30,31, 32 we see that Gehazi does what Elisha commands him to do yet no miracle can be wrought using his servant Gehazi. Again we see when Elisha shows up he shuts the door behind him leaving his servant outside of the room.

Why is this? Unbelief must be shut outside the room. Gehazi is a greedy man. His sin of covetousness shuts him out from the power of God. He can do nothing. He is like a blind man - helpless - such as all greedy men are. In his act of pushing the woman away - we see Gehazi is a man absent of compassion. Greedy people lack compassion. It's part of the fruit of selfishness and greed.

The love of money is the root of all evil. We shall see up ahead how God reveals Gehazi's greed - although Elisha knew it because he was God's servant and could see - there is a day of accounting for greedy people. How much more so for those who call themselves servants of the LORD?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back