Elijah - God's Prophet

Pay attention to the story of Omri and keep reading - The deadly Diva is a perfect title for Jezebel! She is indeed a Diva!

Unmasking the Jezebel Spirit
Divided Loyalties

Omri, Israel’s sixth king had something similar happen. To secure and enlarge his kingdom he forged an unholy alliance through the marriage of his son, Ahab, to a foreign bride, Jezebel. This created a political bond between Israel and Tyre. The marriage was meant to seal a peace treaty between the two nations; however, the alliance proved to be a very costly compromise. Ceremonially, it required that Israel follow the religious and political practices of Ahab’s new wife. This meant Israel sinking further into the worship of foreign gods. Therefore, by this plan to enlarge his kingdom, Omri actually positioned Israel in harm’s way. His need to build a glorious nation blinded him to the consequences of lawlessness.

Agreeing to take a foreign queen violated Gods command. Apparently, Ahab justified this in his own mind, but the Lord condemned Ahab as having sold himself to wickedness ( 1 Kings 21:25). Since Jezebel was a zealous participant in the depraved worship of Baal, a political alliance would have officially endorsed her immoral and idolatrous beliefs and inflicted them upon the Israelites. History tells us that is precisely what happened.

Jezebel had personality characteristics that included manipulation, control, sexual perversion, and idolatry. Some startling and relevant conclusions can be made about such a woman. An evil spirit may have motivated and bestowed widespread influence upon her.

The influence of this spirit still exists today. It has never been eradicated from the Church. Instead, it has enjoyed unholy reign. This spirit seems more entrenched in the church as the spirit of prophecy is poured out on all flesh (Joel 2:28).

The name, Jezebel, is Phoenician in origin and means “un-husbanded.” Although she was married, her lack of submission and her infidelities prove that true marriage meant nothing to her.

While marriage is the mutual respect and submission to one another, Jezebel submitted to no one. Instead, she required others to submit to her. Her marriage was not just a political alliance that allowed her to become queen; it allowed her in essence to be acting king! She held the answers to all the king’s problems.

Deadly Diva

Jezebel had learned treachery from her father, Ethbaal, whose name meant “like unto Baal.” Ethbaal had become king by plotting murder. Thereby, Jezebel’s penchant for murder had generational roots. Eliminating someone’s life was merely incidental to achieving an objective.

Jezebel was no ordinary women. She had a flair for the dramatic. Every action she took, every word she spoke must have been done with great passion and unholy abandonment. She was an intimidating figure, a rose with razor sharp thorns. She was impossible to ignore, because to do so could cost you your life.

The way Jezebel had greeted Jehu, Israel’s tenth king (2 Kings 9:6) was more then just a casual hello, she had dressed in her finest painted her eyes to lure him into forming an alliance with her – perhaps by becoming his wife. If, nothing else, she sought to intimidate Jehu.

Ahab, King of Israel from 869-850 BC (1 Kings 16:31) was not the only one to succumb to Jezebel’s perversions. Her children yielded their mothers control. Her son, Ahaziah, was guilty of Ahab’s sins (1 Kings 22:51-53). Another son, Joram, was killed by Jehu as punishment for all the things his parents had done to God’s prophets (2 Kings 9:24-26). Jezebels daughter, Athaliah, became queen of Judah and just like her mother; she looked for a husband who was weak so that she could carry out her evil practices. (2 Kings 8:25-27). As a result, Athaliah’s son, Ahaziah, who was named after her brother and may have been conceived through incestuous relationship, did evil in the sight of the Lord. Both mother and son, as well as the seventy other sons of Ahab and their families, suffered death at the order of Jehu.

Jezebel was a dominate force in Israel. If Jehu had not ordered her thrown from the wall, Jezebel would have had the kingdom to herself. However Jehu bravely carried out the task the Lord had given him – to do away with the house of Ahab (2 Kings 9:7). In this hour, God is issuing a call to pastors around the world. Will they respond as Ahab or as Jehu?
Please note that Jezebel and her daughter sought out weak husbands - easy to control. Thank God for Jehu who had the courage to have her thrown down from that wall! There is a spiritual significance to the story of how she was put to death! It took someone who was determined to obey God and refused to compromise with the Word God had given him -----------> to destroy her.

Last edited:
and the downfall of one Christian man - "Russell" - who didn't heed the warning...........

Peace at any Cost

A spirit of Ahab symbolizes the giving up of authority, or at the very least, passive authority. It bespeaks of a mind-set that avoids confrontation and denies fault. The spirit of Ahab loves the position it has and fears confrontation. Someone with an Ahab spirit would rather make peace at any cost, even if it leads to making an unholy alliance.

An individual with an Ahab Spirit will often make truces instead of relationships prostituting rather than sanctifying relationships. How can you have a truce with someone who is out to destroy you? It is impossible but someone with an Ahab spirit will always sacrifice the future good for peace today.

Working together the spirits of Ahab and Jezebel will quietly form a codependent relationship. Both will need to feed off each other in order to accomplish each one’s goals. A pastor who is influenced by an Ahab spirit will need someone who influenced by a Jezebel spirit to maintain position and enlarge or entrench a powerbase.

The author points to a friend he once had, Russell, kept attempting to introduce him to a specific woman in his church. While this wasn’t unusual – nor is it wrong in itself – Russell appeared to rely too heavily on this woman’s input into every decision he made. The author cautioned him about developing a codependent relationship, but it was too late. Six months later, Russell fell into sexual sin with this woman.

More lessons about the Jezebel spirit -

Placating Leaders
Like many leaders today, Ahab’s reign was characterized by trying to placate and pacify Jezebel’s demands. He tolerated Jezebel’s abominable decrees and practices.

Many pastors embrace an individual influenced by a Jezebel spirit because that person appears to have leadership skills or spiritual insight that the pastor thinks will help their church grow. Some may even convince themselves that, in time, they will be able to spiritually “mature” the individual. But in the process of helping this individual, many pastors strike a compromise and weaken their authority. Remember, Ahab’s placating spirit is exactly what gave rise to Jezebel’s lethal powerbase.

Several pastors remain complacent and not confrontational out of fear that an individual would split their church. One pastor was very aware that his chief intercessor operated with a Jezebel spirit. However, he was afraid to address the situation simply because she was intimidating and had influence over others. He thought if he lost anymore church members he would default on his church loan payment. Unfortunately, this situation characterizes many pastors today. Prayer and encouragement are needed for pastors who are caught in this deadly snare.

Avoiding Confrontations
It takes a courageous pastor to confront the strength and obstinacy of a Jezebel spirit. By their actions, individuals with a Jezebel spirit will reveal a pastors strengths and weaknesses. Pastors will see things about themselves that they might rather ignore. They may react defensively when their authority is challenged. For instance, to quell a revolt, a pastor may respond by appeasing or promoting this spirit. Or in fear, a pastor may suppress all prophetic gifts in a church. Or, the pastor may selfishly even use this person to promote his or her agenda. Any of these responses will damage the spiritual life of a church.

If this type of pastor is left unchecked by a strong board of elders, he or she will leave the church open to domination and control by this demonic spirit. The church will sink beneath an increasing weight of spiritual oppression, crushing healthy spiritual vitality and vision.

A Jezebel spirit defiles everything it touches. That which is holy becomes vile. People will begin to leave a church, not knowing why; simply feeling compelled to go as if they could feel the impending darkness.

Pastors also can not over react, eliminating intercessory and prophetic groups, this will only serve to silence their most reliable sources of decrement and revelation. When this happens it creates a spiritual vacuum. As in a game of chess, if you leave a space unoccupied, your opponent may soon seize that ground. Such a maneuver may allow the enemy to position his own deadly prophets in key places.

Pastors who retreat from exercising their authority may bring injury upon God’s people by inadvertently allowing they increased rule of this spirit in the church. As long as the issue is avoided, the problem will only worsen. When it is finally challenged, a Jezebel spirit that has become entrenched in a church is more difficult to dislodge.

Conspiring with Darkness

If the pastor plays ignorant of Jezebel’s wrongdoings, he or she may become a kindred spirit. Knowingly or unknowingly, the pastor will align himself or herself with this spirit. Their methods and goals will begin to match one another. A pastor will also discover that he or she can accomplish their goals by exploiting his or her spiritual mirror image, becoming a conspirator with darkness.

One of two judgments will come to such pastors, unless they recognize that they are in error and repent. They will either fully embrace a Jezebel spirit and become a puppet subject to delusion, heavy depression, and indecision even in the smallest matters or, they and their churches will face spiritual famine. God’s manifest presence will be removed from their midst. Only memory of His presence will remain. Most likely, they will not perceive this as God’s judgment.

Tolerating the Enemy
When a pastor has a friend that begins to show traits of a Jezebel spirit, it is easy for him to justify the persons rebellion or to simply ignore it. Generally, pastors demonstrate tolerance toward those who are “friends.” However, the trust and loyalty given to a friend will create a blind spot. A pastor, therefore, will need to step outside of friendship emotionally, view the situation as a pastoral issue, and correct any rebellion.

Ultimately, if a pastor brings correction, people will feel secure under the pastor’s leadership and develop trust in Godly authority. However if a pastor fails to correct rebellion, people will loose respect and trust for the pastor. People will regard the pastor with distain because of the consequences brought on the church by his inaction. Confusion will arise and God’s purpose will become obscured by a waffling leadership. Furthermore, a pastor who compromises will attract people who compromise. The pastor’s anointing will be reduced to a mere drop of what it was meant to be. In the churches of such pastors, the light will grow dim and the Body begins to lose its spiritual cutting edge.

Last one:

Fruits of Tolerance

1 Kings 21:25 But there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the LORD, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up.

Just as Ahab permitted Jezebel to sacrifice children as a form of worship, so our permissive (tolerant) spirit allows the Jezebel spirit to remain the driving force behind abortion in the United States. Through self-promoting, controlling, and manipulative schemes, this spirit also seeks to abort those who are young or immature in the Lord. Moreover, this spirit welcomes false teachers who are driven by the intellectual power of the soul.

Beloved, the hour has come for a new mandate. It is rising up in the land and gaining momentum. God is empowering His Church with boldness and zeal brought about by true apostolic and prophetic voices. In this hour, God desires the spirit of prophecy, which is the testimony of Jesus, to be vibrant in every church. The prophetic spirit will reveal that which is hidden.

Victorious Battles

2 Kings 9:6 And he arose, and went into the house; and he poured the oil on his head, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I have anointed thee king over the people of the LORD, even over Israel.

2 Kings 9:7 And thou shalt smite the house of Ahab thy master, that I may avenge the blood of my servants the prophets, and the blood of all the servants of the LORD, at the hand of Jezebel.

At this point in history, a great battle awaits God’s representative – the shepherds of His Church. Pastors are being summoned by the Lord to take on the spirit of Valor and to stand up as true kings. Just as Jehu’s commission was to rid God’s Kingdom of the defiling demoralizing influences of Ahab and Jezebel, a call is going forth today to remove those same apostate spirits from the Church.

Now begins the story of Elijah!

1 Kings 17 KJV

Ravens Feed Elijah

1And Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said unto Ahab, As the LORD God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word.

2And the word of the LORD came unto him, saying,
3Get thee hence, and turn thee eastward, and hide thyself by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan.

4And it shall be, that thou shalt drink of the brook; and I have commanded the ravens to feed thee there.

5So he went and did according unto the word of the LORD: for he went and dwelt by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan.

6And the ravens brought him bread and flesh in the morning, and bread and flesh in the evening; and he drank of the brook.

7And it came to pass after a while, that the brook dried up, because there had been no rain in the land.
This story has been preached many times by preachers in pulpits throughout America. It has not been told accurately by most however. I found it quite interesting when reading Keller's version of Elijah's experience because I believe he has nailed it. Raven's are dirty animals, scavengers. For Elijah to be fed by ravens meant he was eating whatever they dropped off to him. When a drought comes upon a land - animals come to wherever there is water and it becomes muddied by their feet. It is highly unlikely that the water was clean at the brook where Elijah was sent by God. The name of the place reveals the truth. The meaning of the Brook Cherith is "the cutting place". The geographical location shows it to be barren, without trees, - a place in the desert. It was a place of testing for Elijah - a place of obscurity out of the sight of men and minds of men as we'll soon learn.

As Keller noted - For Elijah there had to be a Cherith before there could be a Carmel. How true!

As ravens are unclean birds and Elijah was a Hebrew who regarded them as unclean it had to be the worst possible situation to be depending on them to share their food with him! These ravens were certainly not delivering him take out food from Ruth Chris's. He wasn't being put up in a 5 star hotel while he waited upon the LORD. Quite a stark difference from the way some would have us believe Elijah spent his time out there. Most likely he fasted a great deal.

What are the lessons? It will cost you everything to follow Jesus Christ. You can expect a cutting place to be made ready and able to be used by God. You may find your expectation of how you think it will be and how God plans it to be two completely different things and unless you are willing to endure until the end there won't be reward / victory.

The Brook Cherith was a cutting place - a place of isolation, denying the flesh, waiting on God, suffering in extreme heat (desert conditions during a drought) with wild animals sharing water supply and ravens bringing him roadkill for dinner, while not knowing how long he would be there. And Elijah was not moved. He stayed in the fire until God was ready to take him out of it and use him.

Elijah was a man willing to go wherever God sent him. He was a true servant of the LORD being prepared by God for the ultimate confrontation (with the prophets of Baal) and a very sweet victory!

Last edited:
Elijah goes to Zaraphath!

The Widow of Zarephath

8And the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, 9Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee.

10So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, the widow woman was there gathering of sticks: and he called to her, and said, Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.

11And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her, and said, Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bread in thine hand.

12And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.

13And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son.

14For thus saith the LORD God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the LORD sendeth rain upon the earth.

15And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eatmany days.

16And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah.
This sermon has been used by false prophets / the false prosperity gospel (possibly) more than any other story in the bible! The message goes like this and the man of God said to the woman and her house ( who was about to die of starvation) make me a cake! Please note that the prophet went to only one woman's house and stayed on with her throughout the famine! He didn't go to every widows house and tell each of them to make him a cake. He went to one! One woman!

After Elijah's time at the "cutting place" he had been refreshed in his relationship with God - he was walking with him in deeper communion, he was more sensitive to God's direction, His presence, he came out of the Brook Cherith with a deeper, richer relationship with God and he was able to minister to this woman whom God had chosen for him to stay with. That is what solitude will do for you. If you will spend that time shut in with God? You'll find yourself in a greater place of trusting Him and be more able to minister to those in need of Him.

1 Kings 17 KJV

Elijah Raises the Widow's Son

17And it came to pass after these things, that the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick; and his sickness was so sore, that there was no breath left in him.

18And she said unto Elijah, What have I to do with thee, O thou man of God? art thou come unto me to call my sin to remembrance, and to slay my son?

19And he said unto her, Give me thy son. And he took him out of her bosom, and carried him up into a loft, where he abode, and laid him upon his own bed.

20And he cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, hast thou also brought evil upon the widow with whom I sojourn, by slaying her son?

21And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again.

22And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.

23And Elijah took the child, and brought him down out of the chamber into the house, and delivered him unto his mother: and Elijah said, See, thy son liveth.

24And the woman said to Elijah, Now by this I know that thou art a man of God, and that the word of the LORD in thy mouth is truth.

Elijah Confronts Ahab

1And it came to pass after many days, that the word of the LORD came to Elijah in the third year, saying, Go, shew thyself unto Ahab; and I will send rain upon the earth.

2And Elijah went to shew himself unto Ahab. And there was a sore famine in Samaria.

3And Ahab called Obadiah, which was the governor of his house. (Now Obadiah feared the LORD greatly:

4For it was so, when Jezebel cut off the prophets of the LORD, that Obadiah took an hundred prophets, and hid them by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water.)

5And Ahab said unto Obadiah, Go into the land, unto all fountains of water, and unto all brooks: peradventure we may find grass to save the horses and mules alive, that we lose not all the beasts.

6So they divided the land between them to pass throughout it: Ahab went one way by himself, and Obadiah went another way by himself.

7And as Obadiah was in the way, behold, Elijah met him: and he knew him, and fell on his face, and said, Art thou that my lord Elijah?

8And he answered him, I am: go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here.

9And he said, What have I sinned, that thou wouldest deliver thy servant into the hand of Ahab, to slay me?

10As the LORD thy God liveth, there is no nation or kingdom, whither my lord hath not sent to seek thee: and when they said, He is not there; he took an oath of the kingdom and nation, that they found thee not.

11And now thou sayest, Go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here.

12And it shall come to pass, as soon as I am gone from thee, that the Spirit of the LORD shall carry thee whither I know not; and so when I come and tell Ahab, and he cannot find thee, he shall slay me: but I thy servant fear the LORD from my youth.

13Was it not told my lord what I did when Jezebel slew the prophets of the LORD, how I hid an hundred men of the LORD'S prophets by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water?

14And now thou sayest, Go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here: and he shall slay me.

15And Elijah said, As the LORD of hosts liveth, before whom I stand, I will surely shew myself unto him to day.
First note that the drought was so great that Ahab was sending Obadiah out to look for grass to feed the mules and horses before they died! Note that Obadiah asks, Art thou My Lord, Elijah? And Elijah responds to him, Go tell Your Lord, Ahab, behold, Elijah is here. Again - Obadiah calls Elijah his Lord and again Elijah calls Ahab Obadiah's Lord. Why is this? Did the prophet discern that Obadiah was halted between two opinions having been under the oppression of Ahab and wicked Jezebel for too long? Was it because Obadiah feared for his life if he told Ahab that Elijah was there and then suddenly Elijah disappeared? Here is something we should consider - that being under evil rulers can have an intimidating effect on even servants of the Most High God! Which is why we need to stay shut in with God and separated to Him - not listening to the words of the wicked. (the wicked are a sword in God's hand - why fear those who do not have the power to cast you into hell?)

Obadiah reminds Elijah that he has hidden the LORD's prophets and fed them bread and water - he is trying to establish his faithfulness to God that he is still God's servant.

In the end Elijah reassures Obadiah that he will not disappear that he will stay there and wait on Ahab. Obadiah then obeys the prophet and goes to tell Ahab that Elijah is there.

Elijah on Mount Carmel

16So Obadiah went to meet Ahab, and told him: and Ahab went to meet Elijah.

17And it came to pass, when Ahab saw Elijah, that Ahab said unto him, Art thou he that troubleth Israel?

18And he answered, I have not troubled Israel; but thou, and thy father's house, in that ye have forsaken the commandments of the LORD, and thou hast followed Baalim.

19Now therefore send, and gather to me all Israel unto mount Carmel, and the prophets of Baal four hundred and fifty, and the prophets of the groves four hundred, which eat at Jezebel's table.

20So Ahab sent unto all the children of Israel, and gathered the prophets together unto mount Carmel.

21And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.

22Then said Elijah unto the people, I, even I only, remain a prophet of the LORD; but Baal's prophets are four hundred and fifty men.

23Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: and I will dress the other bullock, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under:

24And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.

25And Elijah said unto the prophets of Baal, Choose you one bullock for yourselves, and dress it first; for ye are many; and call on the name of your gods, but put no fireunder.

26And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. Butthere was no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made.

27And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.

28And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them.

29And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded.

30And Elijah said unto all the people, Come near unto me. And all the people came near unto him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down.

31And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be thy name:

32And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD: and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed.

33And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid him on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood.

34And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time.

35And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.
I told Rosie that I would do a trivia question for the story of Elijah so here it is. Elijah had them pour 12 barrels filled with water on the sacrifice. 12 barrels filled with the water. It had not rained yet. Israel was in a drought for over 3 years.

Trivia question:

Where did they get the water from?

No one is able to answer the question, where did the water come from? Maybe a Rabbi will know the answer! Ask a few - I'll wait.........

Alright - let me ask the question to the Christians on this board - surely we have someone here who can take a guess! Elijah ordered that 12 barrels of water be poured on the sacrifice. Israel had been in a drought for over 3 years. Where did the water come from?

It's an open book question. Use any resource you wish. Including Google (for the serious scholars)!

So no one knows where the 12 barrels of water that Elijah commanded be poured upon the sacrifice came from?

Here is the answer:

014_01_0008_TH-Atlas_prev.jpg

What is right beside Mount Carmel?
The Mediterranean Sea.
That is where the 12 Barrels of water
came from.

So in this hour Israel had ignored all warnings from God. The temple prostitution of both men and women, the sexual licentiousness, unbridled greed, a rabid addiction to violence and a spirit of rebellion are permeated throughout the land of Israel. A perfect breeding ground for Jezebel and her husband Ahab.

What do you care what happens in Israel? I mean, if you don't live there why does it matter to you what the Israelis do or don't do? Is your life affected one way or another if the Israelis ignore Jehovah or open up the temple to whores or work on Friday nights or whatever they want to do?

Why does where the water came from matter so much to you?

What is far more interesting is Elijahs latter day mission.

Elijah Confronts Ahab

1And it came to pass after many days, that the word of the LORD came to Elijah in the third year, saying, Go, shew thyself unto Ahab; and I will send rain upon the earth.

2And Elijah went to shew himself unto Ahab. And there was a sore famine in Samaria.

3And Ahab called Obadiah, which was the governor of his house. (Now Obadiah feared the LORD greatly:

4For it was so, when Jezebel cut off the prophets of the LORD, that Obadiah took an hundred prophets, and hid them by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water.)

5And Ahab said unto Obadiah, Go into the land, unto all fountains of water, and unto all brooks: peradventure we may find grass to save the horses and mules alive, that we lose not all the beasts.

6So they divided the land between them to pass throughout it: Ahab went one way by himself, and Obadiah went another way by himself.

7And as Obadiah was in the way, behold, Elijah met him: and he knew him, and fell on his face, and said, Art thou that my lord Elijah?

8And he answered him, I am: go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here.

9And he said, What have I sinned, that thou wouldest deliver thy servant into the hand of Ahab, to slay me?

10As the LORD thy God liveth, there is no nation or kingdom, whither my lord hath not sent to seek thee: and when they said, He is not there; he took an oath of the kingdom and nation, that they found thee not.

11And now thou sayest, Go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here.

12And it shall come to pass, as soon as I am gone from thee, that the Spirit of the LORD shall carry thee whither I know not; and so when I come and tell Ahab, and he cannot find thee, he shall slay me: but I thy servant fear the LORD from my youth.

13Was it not told my lord what I did when Jezebel slew the prophets of the LORD, how I hid an hundred men of the LORD'S prophets by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water?

14And now thou sayest, Go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here: and he shall slay me.

15And Elijah said, As the LORD of hosts liveth, before whom I stand, I will surely shew myself unto him to day.
First note that the drought was so great that Ahab was sending Obadiah out to look for grass to feed the mules and horses before they died! Note that Obadiah asks, Art thou My Lord, Elijah? And Elijah responds to him, Go tell Your Lord, Ahab, behold, Elijah is here. Again - Obadiah calls Elijah his Lord and again Elijah calls Ahab Obadiah's Lord. Why is this? Did the prophet discern that Obadiah was halted between two opinions having been under the oppression of Ahab and wicked Jezebel for too long? Was it because Obadiah feared for his life if he told Ahab that Elijah was there and then suddenly Elijah disappeared? Here is something we should consider - that being under evil rulers can have an intimidating effect on even servants of the Most High God! Which is why we need to stay shut in with God and separated to Him - not listening to the words of the wicked. (the wicked are a sword in God's hand - why fear those who do not have the power to cast you into hell?)

Obadiah reminds Elijah that he has hidden the LORD's prophets and fed them bread and water - he is trying to establish his faithfulness to God that he is still God's servant.

In the end Elijah reassures Obadiah that he will not disappear that he will stay there and wait on Ahab. Obadiah then obeys the prophet and goes to tell Ahab that Elijah is there.

Bigger fonts Jeri make it bigger fonts!!! :uhoh3:

Avatar asked an excellent question. Why is so important where the water came from? Because it was sea water. The LORD made clear to his people that no sacrifice should ever be made without salt. Salt was absolutely an essential ingredient of every offering to the LORD. The significance of the sea water to the people who were present cannot be "over - emphasized".

Salt stood for the suffering in any sacrifice. Phillip Keller, in his book, Elijah Prophet of power makes some interesting notes on the subject of why the sea water was significant.

He says,

This common element (salt) of the common man, when added and applied to his humble, simple sacrifice, identified him with his own offering. It was an indication that he, too, was offering himself in penitence to his God. He was a partaker of the suffering inherent in the sacrifice.
That is why Elijah asked the people to pour salt water over the flesh, over the wood, over the rocks of the altar, over the offal, over the whole. In so doing they were enacting the gracious, generous gesture of God, in his sufferings on his behalf, took us with him to Calvary, to cleanse, to purify, to restore, to redeem and reconcile us to himself ( Read Romans Chapter Six to fully grasp this)

It was the salt added to the sacrifice which made it a sweet savor. Flesh burned and scorched in flames alone gives off a disagreeable odor. But when covered and coated with salt, it emits an exquisite fragrance. Any sacrifice offered apart from and destitute of salt simply was not satisfactory. The donor of the offering had to see it as a substitute of himself. He had to recognize that unless the offering was acceptable to God it had no merit. It's merit lay in the essential concept that the sacrifice bore the salt therein as a symbol of one's own self being offered up to God. Both ingredients were absolutely essential to its acceptance from God. When Elijah enjoined all of Israel to pour the twelve barrels of saltwater over the sacrifice, he was providing this perverse and polluted people with a unique opportunity to be identified with himself and his God in offering a satisfactory offering to the Most High. In so many words they were saying,

We have sinned. We too wish to be identified with this offering. We offer ourselves in contrition and in true penitence of heart. Let your fire of both judgment and mercy fall. May we see your righteousness and your love in the consuming conflagration!

From such a heart attitude and such a sacrifice God never does withhold himself. He does hear. He does draw near!
- Phillip Keller - Elijah - Prophet of Power

We now move forward to the preparation of the evening sacrifice which has been made ready! This is the hour of battle!

1 Kings 18 KJV
Elijah's Prayer

36And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word. 37Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again.38Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench. 39And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God. 40And Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.

The people see with their own eyes that God of Israel is the one true God and that he is the God who hears his servants prayer! He is the God who honors Elijah's prayer because he is a man of faith, he is God's servant! Interesting observation Keller made in his book - he states that Elijah stood alone on the summit of Carmel. He alone was not flat on his face but standing - unmoved, unafraid, undisturbed. Why? He was a man who was keeping company with God. What he had requested he had received. He was God's friend and God had shown himself faithful to his servant. Glory be to God forevermore! If that does not make all of you desire to be God's friend I do not know what will! The people present were all flat on their faces in terror! They dared not raise their eyes for fear the fire of God would consume them too! They had sinned! They had went off into Baal worship! Oh! The mercy of God that he only took the sacrifice and not them instead! Finally the people cried out, The Lord Jehovah, he is God! The Lord Jehovah, he alone is the God!

Is it not a picture of Jesus Christ? The sacrifice that God consumed to take away the sins of the people? Yes! It is!

Listen to this description of the sacrifice Elijah had prepared as described by Phillip Keller in his book Elijah -Prophet of Power - (by far the best book written on the subject of Elijah I've ever found)

Elijah then proceeded to butcher the bullock. In careful compliance with Hebrew tradition it had to be bled carefully. Then quartered and jointed, the pieces were layed on dry wood. In the death of this innocent ox, in the spilling of it's life blood there was symbolized the laying down of God's own life. here there was seen the outpouring of Jesus Christ's own spirit and soul and bodily life in substitution for our own. He who was innocent, who knew no sin, being made sin for us that we might be made right with God, with others, with ourselves.
This was the whole basis for redemption, of reconciliaton, of restoration for the reprobate person and people. This was the essence of atonement, of forgiveness, of making God and man one - through substitutionary sacrifice of another. - Phillip Keller

Yes, I've mentioned more than once that all 66 books of the Bible are a representation of Jesus Christ. Every single Book of the Bible - both Old Testament and New Testament is revealing Jesus Christ to the reader. Who is Jesus Christ? Thomas said it. My Lord and My God.

Just as Elijah made an open show of God's power on Mt. Carmel before the Baal worshippers by the sacrifice of that bullock unto God and God's consuming fire taking every bit of it - and every devil of hell including the fallen angels and Satan were present to see this most humiliating defeat............ So we see Satan's humiliating defeat when Jesus Christ died at Calvary shedding his blood for our sins at Calvary going down to hell taking the keys to hell and death and God raising Him from the grave on the third day appearing to many ( over 500 he appeared to for 40 days after his resurrection) he made an open show of the power of God and the defeat of Satan - every devil of hell, every fallen angel including Satan was there to witness it on that day, they surely cringed looking upon the sacrifice God made in our place so that we could be forgiven, washed clean, whiter than snow - HIS VERY OWN SON!

Yes, because of the precious blood of His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ, Our Redeemer! It is a day that they do not like to recall because it reminds them of their future! They are doomed! DOOMED! And all who belong to Satan, who serve Satan and his devils are doomed too.

To those who are serving that defeated foe, Lucifer, I have good news for you today! You can receive the pardon Christ paid for at the cross at Calvary and have your names written in His Lamb's book of Life. You can have all your sins washed away by confessing with your mouth and believing in your heart the following prayer - that you are a sinner, that you believe Jesus Christ died on the cross and shed his blood for your sins and that God raised him from the dead on the 3rd day. That you desire to turn from your life of sin and live holy unto God by the power of Jesus Christ - his resurrection power - that you desire to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and serve the Lord Jesus Christ all the days of your life. If that is your desire? To be God's friend? To be reconciled unto God? To be in heaven when you leave this earth? This is the only way - Jesus Christ is the One who has reconciled us back to God. It is through Jesus Christ that all must come to God. Apart from Jesus Christ we cannot come. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life - no man comes to the Father except through Him.

You can receive Jesus Christ today and the gates of hell will not prevail against you. The same relationship that the Disciples had with Christ? You can have today. Today is the day of Salvation. Call upon the name of the LORD and you shall be saved.

Last edited:
1 Kings 18 KJV

The Lord Sends Rain

41And Elijah said unto Ahab, Get thee up, eat and drink; for there is a sound of abundance of rain. 42So Ahab went up to eat and to drink. And Elijah went up to the top of Carmel; and he cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees, 43And said to his servant, Go up now, look toward the sea. And he went up, and looked, and said, There is nothing. And he said, Go again seven times. 44And it came to pass at the seventh time, that he said, Behold, there ariseth a little cloud out of the sea, like a man's hand. And he said, Go up, say unto Ahab, Prepare thy chariot, and get thee down, that the rain stop thee not. 45And it came to pass in the mean while, that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode, and went to Jezreel. 46And the hand of the LORD was on Elijah; and he girded up his loins, and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.

This same power of prayer is available to the born again Christian today - whatsoever you pray for believing you shall have. Jesus said, Greater things will you do because He was going to the Father! There has never been a time in church history when this needed to be understood more.

1 Kings 19 KJV

Elijah Flees Jezebel

1And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and withal how he had slain all the prophets with the sword. 2Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by to morrow about this time. 3And when he saw that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there. 4But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers. 5And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Ariseand eat. 6And he looked, and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down again. 7And the angel of the LORD came again the second time, and touched him, and said, Arise andeat; because the journey is too great for thee. 8And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.
As we already have learned - Jezebel was the daughter of a king of the Zidonians, his name was Ethbaal meaning - who is like Baal - she was a generational satanist in modern terminology - a servant of Satan. She was a murderer, a thief, a liar, a woman who sacrificed babies to Baal, who engaged in temple prostitution - both male and female and was a most perverse and wicked woman. Elijah is serving the One True God. It has already been proven that his God is all powerful - far more powerful than Baal who didn't even show up for his own prophets! So why did Elijah run from Jezebel. We can stop here and as you read this story and study it ask the LORD to show you - why did Elijah run from Jezebel when he had just obtained a tremendous victory from the LORD?

That is the next trivia question - Why did Elijah run from Jezebel?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back