Elijah - God's Prophet

Hint: The answer is found in the King James Bible. As for using a Google search? I doubt you'll find the answer there. I've never heard any preacher give the correct answer as to why Elijah ran from Jezebel.

Is there no one here who knows the reason Elijah ran from Jezebel? Why not ask your Rabbi or your Pastor? Maybe they can tell you.

1 Kings 19 KJV

The Lord Speaks to Elijah at Horeb

9And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah? 10And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

11And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: 12And after the earthquake a fire;but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. 13And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah? 14And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

15And the LORD said unto him, Go, return on thy way to the wilderness of Damascus: and when thou comest, anoint Hazael to be king over Syria: 16And Jehu the son of Nimshi shalt thou anoint to be king over Israel: and Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abelmeholah shalt thou anoint to be prophet in thy room. 17And it shall come to pass,that him that escapeth the sword of Hazael shall Jehu slay: and him that escapeth from the sword of Jehu shall Elisha slay. 18Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

Elijah thought he was alone but God had seven thousand who had not bowed their knee to Baal nor kissed him. Why did he think that he alone was left? He was under a heavy spiritual attack.
In this part of the story we see that Jehu is to be anointed king over Israel and Elisha is to be anointed as prophet. The LORD tells Elijah his plans - because as Amos 3:7 says, the LORD does nothing without revealing it to His servants the prophets. We see God telling Elijah to go return on his way to the wilderness in Damascus and to anoint Hazael to be king Syria. In this we see that the LORD did give direction to Elijah to go to each place and when to go. When did God tell Elijah to go to Jezreel?

He didn't. Elijah had defeated the prophets of Baal with his prayer to the God of Israel - he slew them all - God showed up mightily - he outran Ahab's chariot - another astounding feat - he prayed and God answered and brought rain ending the drought - but when did God tell him to go to Jezreel? He didn't. Elijah did that on his own and when we step out on our own? Getting ahead of God? We put ourselves in great peril. Because of his acting alone - he had to handle the threat of Jezebel in his own strength and therein - he could do nothing but run.

Because the truth is - its not by might, not by power but by God's Spirit as it is written - Not by might, not by power but by My Spirit sayeth the LORD! When we step into a battle without God and go where he has not called us to go - we are on our own. That is why Elijah fell into fear over Jezebel. Had God sent him as God was about to send Jehu he would have had no fear at all of Jezebel. After all, she was a Baal worshipper. Her gods were no match for God Almighty. When the LORD is with you? You stand victorious. Always. One man with God makes the majority.
When God is the one who is with you in the battle - the gates of hell shall not prevail against you.

What gave Jezebel the idea that she could challenge a prophet of the LORD and threaten him like that, much less kill him? Arrogant ignorance. She was a blind fool, morally depraved, incapable of recognizing the true power of the God of Israel and the relationship He had with His prophet (Elijah). As Keller pointed out in his book, Jezebel made the mistake of believing she was only murdering a man. She had no idea she had literally set herself against God Almighty. Keller states - Jezebel's threat against Elijah was her own total undoing, for in the end good does overcome evil. Light does overcome darkness. Life does triumph over death. Love conquers hate. And in the end God always has the last word.

In the end God always has the last word.

Last edited:
1 Kings 19 KJV

The Call of Elisha

19So he departed thence, and found Elisha the son of Shaphat, who was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen before him, and he with the twelfth: and Elijah passed by him, and cast his mantle upon him. 20And he left the oxen, and ran after Elijah, and said, Let me, I pray thee, kiss my father and my mother, and then I will follow thee. And he said unto him, Go back again: for what have I done to thee? 21And he returned back from him, and took a yoke of oxen, and slew them, and boiled their flesh with the instruments of the oxen, and gave unto the people, and they did eat. Then he arose, and went after Elijah, and ministered unto him.

Last edited:
Elijah Confronts Ahab

1And it came to pass after many days, that the word of the LORD came to Elijah in the third year, saying, Go, shew thyself unto Ahab; and I will send rain upon the earth.

2And Elijah went to shew himself unto Ahab. And there was a sore famine in Samaria.

3And Ahab called Obadiah, which was the governor of his house. (Now Obadiah feared the LORD greatly:

4For it was so, when Jezebel cut off the prophets of the LORD, that Obadiah took an hundred prophets, and hid them by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water.)

5And Ahab said unto Obadiah, Go into the land, unto all fountains of water, and unto all brooks: peradventure we may find grass to save the horses and mules alive, that we lose not all the beasts.

6So they divided the land between them to pass throughout it: Ahab went one way by himself, and Obadiah went another way by himself.

7And as Obadiah was in the way, behold, Elijah met him: and he knew him, and fell on his face, and said, Art thou that my lord Elijah?

8And he answered him, I am: go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here.

9And he said, What have I sinned, that thou wouldest deliver thy servant into the hand of Ahab, to slay me?

10As the LORD thy God liveth, there is no nation or kingdom, whither my lord hath not sent to seek thee: and when they said, He is not there; he took an oath of the kingdom and nation, that they found thee not.

11And now thou sayest, Go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here.

12And it shall come to pass, as soon as I am gone from thee, that the Spirit of the LORD shall carry thee whither I know not; and so when I come and tell Ahab, and he cannot find thee, he shall slay me: but I thy servant fear the LORD from my youth.

13Was it not told my lord what I did when Jezebel slew the prophets of the LORD, how I hid an hundred men of the LORD'S prophets by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water?

14And now thou sayest, Go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here: and he shall slay me.

15And Elijah said, As the LORD of hosts liveth, before whom I stand, I will surely shew myself unto him to day.
First note that the drought was so great that Ahab was sending Obadiah out to look for grass to feed the mules and horses before they died! Note that Obadiah asks, Art thou My Lord, Elijah? And Elijah responds to him, Go tell Your Lord, Ahab, behold, Elijah is here. Again - Obadiah calls Elijah his Lord and again Elijah calls Ahab Obadiah's Lord. Why is this? Did the prophet discern that Obadiah was halted between two opinions having been under the oppression of Ahab and wicked Jezebel for too long? Was it because Obadiah feared for his life if he told Ahab that Elijah was there and then suddenly Elijah disappeared? Here is something we should consider - that being under evil rulers can have an intimidating effect on even servants of the Most High God! Which is why we need to stay shut in with God and separated to Him - not listening to the words of the wicked. (the wicked are a sword in God's hand - why fear those who do not have the power to cast you into hell?)

Obadiah reminds Elijah that he has hidden the LORD's prophets and fed them bread and water - he is trying to establish his faithfulness to God that he is still God's servant.

In the end Elijah reassures Obadiah that he will not disappear that he will stay there and wait on Ahab. Obadiah then obeys the prophet and goes to tell Ahab that Elijah is there.

Bigger fonts Jeri make it bigger fonts!!! :uhoh3:

I've made them smaller just for you, Guno.

1 Kings 20 KJV

Ahab's Wars with Syria

1And Benhadad the king of Syria gathered all his host together: and there were thirty and two kings with him, and horses, and chariots: and he went up and besieged Samaria, and warred against it. 2And he sent messengers to Ahab king of Israel into the city, and said unto him, Thus saith Benhadad, 3Thy silver and thy gold is mine; thy wives also and thy children, even the goodliest, are mine. 4And the king of Israel answered and said, My lord, O king, according to thy saying, I am thine, and all that I have. 5And the messengers came again, and said, Thus speaketh Benhadad, saying, Although I have sent unto thee, saying, Thou shalt deliver me thy silver, and thy gold, and thy wives, and thy children; 6Yet I will send my servants unto thee to morrow about this time, and they shall search thine house, and the houses of thy servants; and it shall be, that whatsoever is pleasant in thine eyes, they shall put it in their hand, and take itaway.

7Then the king of Israel called all the elders of the land, and said, Mark, I pray you, and see how this man seeketh mischief: for he sent unto me for my wives, and for my children, and for my silver, and for my gold; and I denied him not. 8And all the elders and all the people said unto him, Hearken not unto him, nor consent. 9Wherefore he said unto the messengers of Benhadad, Tell my lord the king, All that thou didst send for to thy servant at the first I will do: but this thing I may not do. And the messengers departed, and brought him word again. 10And Benhadad sent unto him, and said, The gods do so unto me, and more also, if the dust of Samaria shall suffice for handfuls for all the people that follow me. 11And the king of Israel answered and said, Tell him, Let not him that girdeth on his harness boast himself as he that putteth it off. 12And it came to pass, when Benhadad heard this message, as he was drinking, he and the kings in the pavilions, that he said unto his servants, Set yourselves in array. And they setthemselves in array against the city

1 Kings 20 KJV

Ahab Defeats Ben-Hadad

13And, behold, there came a prophet unto Ahab king of Israel, saying, Thus saith the LORD, Hast thou seen all this great multitude? behold, I will deliver it into thine hand this day; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD. 14And Ahab said, By whom? And he said, Thus saith the LORD, Even by the young men of the princes of the provinces. Then he said, Who shall order the battle? And he answered, Thou. 15Then he numbered the young men of the princes of the provinces, and they were two hundred and thirty two: and after them he numbered all the people, even all the children of Israel,being seven thousand.

16And they went out at noon. But Benhadad was drinking himself drunk in the pavilions, he and the kings, the thirty and two kings that helped him. 17And the young men of the princes of the provinces went out first; and Benhadad sent out, and they told him, saying, There are men come out of Samaria. 18And he said, Whether they be come out for peace, take them alive; or whether they be come out for war, take them alive.

19So these young men of the princes of the provinces came out of the city, and the army which followed them. 20And they slew every one his man: and the Syrians fled; and Israel pursued them: and Benhadad the king of Syria escaped on an horse with the horsemen. 21And the king of Israel went out, and smote the horses and chariots, and slew the Syrians with a great slaughter.

22And the prophet came to the king of Israel, and said unto him, Go, strengthen thyself, and mark, and see what thou doest: for at the return of the year the king of Syria will come up against thee.

23And the servants of the king of Syria said unto him, Their gods are gods of the hills; therefore they were stronger than we; but let us fight against them in the plain, and surely we shall be stronger than they. 24And do this thing, Take the kings away, every man out of his place, and put captains in their rooms: 25And number thee an army, like the army that thou hast lost, horse for horse, and chariot for chariot: and we will fight against them in the plain, and surely we shall be stronger than they. And he hearkened unto their voice, and did so.

Last edited:
1 Kings 20 KJV

Another War with Ben-Hadad

26And it came to pass at the return of the year, that Benhadad numbered the Syrians, and went up to Aphek, to fight against Israel. 27And the children of Israel were numbered, and were all present, and went against them: and the children of Israel pitched before them like two little flocks of kids; but the Syrians filled the country. 28And there came a man of God, and spake unto the king of Israel, and said, Thus saith the LORD, Because the Syrians have said, The LORD is God of the hills, but he is not God of the valleys, therefore will I deliver all this great multitude into thine hand, and ye shall know that I am the LORD. 29And they pitched one over against the other seven days. And so it was, that in the seventh day the battle was joined: and the children of Israel slew of the Syrians an hundred thousand footmen in one day. 30But the rest fled to Aphek, into the city; and there a wall fell upon twenty and seven thousand of the menthat were left. And Benhadad fled, and came into the city, into an inner chamber.

1 Kings 20 KJV

A Prophet Reproves Ahab

35And a certain man of the sons of the prophets said unto his neighbour in the word of the LORD, Smite me, I pray thee. And the man refused to smite him. 36Then said he unto him, Because thou hast not obeyed the voice of the LORD, behold, as soon as thou art departed from me, a lion shall slay thee. And as soon as he was departed from him, a lion found him, and slew him. 37Then he found another man, and said, Smite me, I pray thee. And the man smote him, so that in smiting he wounded him. 38So the prophet departed, and waited for the king by the way, and disguised himself with ashes upon his face. 39And as the king passed by, he cried unto the king: and he said, Thy servant went out into the midst of the battle; and, behold, a man turned aside, and brought a man unto me, and said, Keep this man: if by any means he be missing, then shall thy life be for his life, or else thou shalt pay a talent of silver. 40And as thy servant was busy here and there, he was gone. And the king of Israel said unto him, So shall thy judgment be; thyself hast decided it. 41And he hasted, and took the ashes away from his face; and the king of Israel discerned him that he was of the prophets. 42And he said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Because thou hast let go out of thy hand a man whom I appointed to utter destruction, therefore thy life shall go for his life, and thy people for his people. 43And the king of Israel went to his house heavy and displeased, and came to Samaria.

Mathew Henry's commentary on Ahab and the unrepentant sinner. (see verse 42)

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

20:31-43 This encouragement sinners have to repent and humble themselves before God; Have we not heard, that the God of Israel is a merciful God? Have we not found him so? That is gospel repentance, which flows from an apprehension of the mercy of God, in Christ; there is forgiveness with him.

What a change is here! The most haughty in prosperity often are most abject in adversity; an evil spirit will thus affect a man in both these conditions. There are those on whom, like Ahab, success is ill bestowed; they know not how to serve either God or their generation, or even their own true interests with their prosperity: Let favour be showed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness.

The prophet designed to reprove Ahab by a parable. If a good prophet were punished for sparing his friend and God's when God said, Smite, of much sorer punishment should a wicked king be thought worthy, who spared his enemy and God's, when God said, Smite. Ahab went to his house, heavy and displeased, not truly penitent, or seeking to undo what he had done amiss; every way out of humour, notwithstanding his victory.

Alas! many that hear the glad tidings of Christ, are busy and there till the day of salvation is gone.

Last edited:
1 Kings 21 KJV

Ahab Covets Naboth's Vineyard

1And it came to pass after these things, that Naboth the Jezreelite had a vineyard, which was in Jezreel, hard by the palace of Ahab king of Samaria. 2And Ahab spake unto Naboth, saying, Give me thy vineyard, that I may have it for a garden of herbs, because it is near unto my house: and I will give thee for it a better vineyard than it; or, if it seem good to thee, I will give thee the worth of it in money. 3And Naboth said to Ahab, The LORD forbid it me, that I should give the inheritance of my fathers unto thee.4And Ahab came into his house heavy and displeased because of the word which Naboth the Jezreelite had spoken to him: for he had said, I will not give thee the inheritance of my fathers. And he laid him down upon his bed, and turned away his face, and would eat no bread.

5But Jezebel his wife came to him, and said unto him, Why is thy spirit so sad, that thou eatest no bread? 6And he said unto her, Because I spake unto Naboth the Jezreelite, and said unto him, Give me thy vineyard for money; or else, if it please thee, I will give thee another vineyard for it: and he answered, I will not give thee my vineyard. 7And Jezebel his wife said unto him, Dost thou now govern the kingdom of Israel? arise, and eat bread, and let thine heart be merry: I will give thee the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite.

8So she wrote letters in Ahab's name, and sealed them with his seal, and sent the letters unto the elders and to the nobles that were in his city, dwelling with Naboth.9And she wrote in the letters, saying, Proclaim a fast, and set Naboth on high among the people: 10And set two men, sons of Belial, before him, to bear witness against him, saying, Thou didst blaspheme God and the king. And then carry him out, and stone him, that he may die.

And it came to pass after these things, that Naboth the Jezreelite had a vineyard, which was in Jezreel, hard by the palace of Ahab king of Samaria.

21:1-4 Naboth, perhaps, had been pleased that he had a vineyard situated so near the palace, but the situation proved fatal to him; many a man's possessions have been his snare, and his neighbourhood to greatness, of bad consequence. Discontent is a sin that is its own punishment, and makes men torment themselves. It is a sin that is its own parent; it arises not from the condition, but from the mind: as we find Paul contented in a prison, so Ahab was discontented in a palace. He had all the delights of Canaan, that pleasant land, at command; the wealth of a kingdom, the pleasures of a court, and the honours and powers of a throne; yet all avails him nothing without Naboth's vineyard. Wrong desires expose men to continual vexations, and those that are disposed to fret, however well off, may always find something or other to fret at.

Alexander McClaren's commentary is by far the most detailed I've found so let us read what he has to say. Due to the length I will make a separate post for his commmenary about the story of Naboth's Vineyard.

Last edited:
His commentary has 3 parts - this is part 1 depicting the character - Ahab and there are 2 more - after Alexander McLaren I have one more to share with the reader before we continue to the Scriptures which will reveal the plot by Jezebel to murder him.

MacLaren's Expositions

1 Kings

ROYAL MURDERERS

1 Kings 21:1 - 1 Kings 21:16.

There are three types of character in this story, all bad, but in different ways. Ahab is wicked and weak; Jezebel, wicked and strong; the elders of Jezreel, wicked and subservient.

Amongst them they commit a great crime, which was the last drop in the full cup of the king’s sins, and brought down God’s judgment on him and his house.

I. We have to look at the weakly wicked Ahab. His wish for Naboth’s vineyard was a mere selfish whim. He was willing to give more for it than it was worth. It suited his convenience for a kitchen-garden. In the true spirit of an Eastern despot, he expected everything to yield to his caprice, and did not think that a subject had any rights. What business has a poor man with sentiment? Naboth is to go, and a handful of silver will set all right.

Samuel’s warning of what a king would be and do was fulfilled. This highhanded interference with private rights was what Israel’s revolt had led to.

The sturdy Naboth was influenced not only by love for the bit of land which his fathers had cultivated for more years than Ahab had reigned days, but by obedience to the law of God; and he was not afraid to show himself a Jehovah worshipper, by his solemn appeal to ‘the Lord,’ as well as by the fact of his refusal. The brusque, flat refusal shows that some independence was left in the nation.

The weak rage and childish sulking of Ahab are very characteristic of a feeble and selfish nature, accustomed to be humoured and not thwarted. These fits of temper seem to have been common with him; for he was in one at the end of the preceding chapter, as he is now.

The ‘bed’ on which he flung himself is probably the couch for reclining on at table, and, if so, the picture of his passion is still more vivid. Instead of partaking of the meal, he turns his face to the wall, and refuses food. ‘No meat will down with him for want of a salad, because wanting Naboth’s vineyard for a garden of herbs.’

As he lies there, like a spoiled child, all because he could not get his own way, he may serve for an example of the misery of unbridled selfishness and unregulated desires. An acre or two of land was a small matter to get into such a state about, and there are few things that are worth a wise or a strong man’s being so troubled.

Hezekiah might ‘turn his face to the wall’ in the extremity of sickness and earnestness of prayer; but Ahab in doing it is only a poor, feeble creature who has weakly set his heart on what is not his, and weakly whimpers because he cannot have it.

To be thus at the mercy of our own ravenous desires, and so utterly miserable when they are thwarted, is unworthy of manhood, and is sure to bring many a bitter moment; for there are more disappointments than gratifications in store for such a one.

We may learn from Ahab, too, the certainty that weakness will darken into wickedness. Such a mood as his always brings some Jezebel or other to suggest evil ways of succeeding.

In this wicked world there are more temptations to sin than helps to virtue, and the weak man will soon fall into some of the abundant traps laid for him. Unless we have learned to say ‘No’ with much emphasis, because we are ‘strong in the Lord,’ we shall fall. ‘This did not I because of the fear of the Lord.’ To be weak is to be miserable, and any sin may come from it.

Part Two of Alexander McLaren's commentary - this one is about Jezebel:
1 Kings 21 MacLaren Expositions Of Holy Scripture

II. Jezebel is a type of a different sort of wickedness. She is wicked and strong.

Notice how she takes the upper hand at once, in her abrupt question, not without a spice of scorn; and note how Ahab answers, bemoaning himself, putting in the forefront his fair proposal, and making Naboth’s refusal ruder than it really had been, by suppressing its reason. Then out flashes the imperious will of this masterful princess, who had come from a land where royalty was all-powerful, and who had no restraints of conscience.

She darts a half-contemptuous question at Ahab, to stir him to action; for nothing moves a weak man so much as the fear of being thought weak. ‘Dost thou govern?’ implies, ‘If thou dost, thou mayest trample on a subject.’ It should mean, ‘If thou dost, thou must jealously guard the subject’s rights.’

What a proud consciousness of her power speaks in that ‘I will give thee the vineyard’! It is like Lady Macbeth’s ‘Give me the dagger!’ No more is said. She can keep her own counsel, and Ahab suspects that some violence is to be used, which he had better not know. So, again, his weakness leads him astray. He does not wish to hear what he is willing should be done, if only he has not to do it.

So feeble men hoodwink conscience by conniving at evils which they dare not perpetrate, and then enjoying their fruits, and saying, ‘Thou canst not say I did it.’Jezebel had Ahab’s signet, the badge of authority, which she probably got from him for her unspoken purpose. Her letter to the elders of Jezreel speaks out, with cynical disregard of decency, the whole ugly conspiracy. It is direct, horribly plain, and imperative.

There is a perfect nest of sins hissing and coiled together in it. Hypocrisy calling religion in to attest a lie, subornation of evidence, contempt for the poor tools who are to perjure themselves, consciousness that such work will only be done by worthless men, cool lying, ferocity, and murder,-these are a pretty company to crowd into half a dozen lines.

Most detestable of all is the plain speaking which shows her hardened audacity and conscious defiance of all right. To name sin by its true name, and then to do it without a quiver, is a depth of evil reached by few men, and perhaps fewer women.

The plot gives a colour of legality, which is probably often unobserved by readers. Naboth was to be accused of treason: ‘renouncing God and the king’; and that was, according to the law of Moses, a charge which, if proved, merited capital punishment.

But it is Satan accusing sin for Jezebel, the Baal worshipper, who had done her best to root out the name of Jehovah, to accuse Naboth of departing from God.

Much highhanded oppression must have gone before such outspoken contempt of justice; and, if Ahab represents the fatal connection of weakness and wickedness, Jezebel is an instance of the fatal audacity with which a strong character may come, by long indulgence in self-willed gratification of its own desires, to trample down all obstacles and go crashing through all laws, human and divine.

The climax of sin is to see a deed to be sinful, and to do it all the same. Such a pre-eminence in evil is not reached at a bound, but it can be reached; and every indulgence in passion, and every gratifying of desire against which conscience protests, is a step toward it. Therefore, if we shrink from such a goal, let us turn away from the paths that lead to it.

‘No mortal man is supremely foul all at once.’ Therefore resist the beginnings of evil. Elijah was strong by natural temperament, and so was Jezebel.

But the strength of the prophet was hallowed by obedience, and, like some great river, poured blessings where it flowed. Jezebel’s strength was lawless, and foamed itself away in fury, like some devastating torrent that spreads ruin whithersoever it bursts out.

‘Be strong’ is good advice, but it needs the supplement, ‘Let all your deeds be done in charity,’ and the foundation,’ Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might.’

1 Kings 21 MacLaren Expositions Of Holy Scripture

Part Three of Alexander McLaren's Commentary - The wicked elders:

III. The last set of actors in this pitiful tragedy are the subserviently wicked elders. The narrative sets their slavish compliance in a strong light. It puts emphasis on the tie between them and Naboth, in that they ‘dwelt in his city,’ and so should have had neighbourly feeling.

It lays stress on their cowardly motive and their complete execution of orders, both by reiterating that they acted ‘as Jezebel had sent’ and ‘as it was written,’ and by taking the letter clause by clause, in the narrative of the shameful parody of justice which they acted.

It suggests both their eagerness to do her pleasure, and her impatient waiting, in her palace, by the message sent in hot haste as soon as the brave peasant proprietor was dead.

‘It is ill sitting at Rome and striving with the Pope,’ as the proverb has it.

No doubt these cowards were afraid for their own necks, and were too near the royal tigress to venture disobedience. But their swift, unremonstrating, and complete obedience indicates the depth of degradation and corruption to which they and the nation had sunk, and the terror exercised by their upstart king and his Sidonian wife.

Cowardice is always contemptible, and wickedness is always odious; but when the two come together, and a man has no other reason for his sin than ‘I was afraid,’ each makes the other blacker.

Israel had cast off the fear of the Lord, which would have preserved it from the ignoble terror of men, and the consequence was that it trembled before an angry, unscrupulous woman.

It had revolted from Rehoboam and his foolish bluster about whips and scorpions, and the consequence was a worse slavery. If we fear God, we need have no other fear. The sun puts out a fire.

If we rebel against Him, we do not become free, but fall under a heavy yoke. It is never prudent to do wrong. The worst consequences of resistance to powerful evil are easier to bear than those of compliance, though it may seem the safer.

Better be lying dead beneath a heap of stones, like the sturdy Naboth, who could say ‘No’ to a king, than be one of his stoners, who killed their innocent neighbour to pleasure Jezebel!Her indecent triumph at the success of the plot, and her utter callousness, are expressed in her words to Ahab, in which the main point is the taking possession of the vineyard.

The death of its owner is told with exultation, as being nothing but the sweeping aside of an obstacle. Ahab asks no questions as to how this opportune clearing away of hindrance came about. He knew, no doubt, well enough that there had been foul play; but that does not matter to him, and such a trifle as murder does not slacken his glad haste to get his new toy.

There was other red on the vines than their clustering grapes, as he soon found out, when Elijah’s grim figure, like an embodied conscience, met him there.

Whoever reaches out to grasp a fancied good by breaking God’s law, may get his good, but he will get more than he expected along with it,-even an accusing voice that prophesies evil. Elijah strides among the leafy vines in the field bought by crime. Ahab meant to make it a garden of pot-herbs. ‘Surely the bitter wormwood of divine revenge grew abundantly therein.’

In reviewing this story with some most outstanding commentaries to glean greater truths with - it did occur to me before doing the thread on Elijah that America is even now in such a time as Israel / Judah were in the midst of Baal worshippers and an evil king and "queen".... With that said, one of the common denominators is America is saturated with Baal worship even as Israel was during Elijah's day, due to Ahab and Jezebel. We see them seizing land that didn't belong to them and using their own wicked elders to come into agreement with them and plot the murder of Naboth . Today in America we have Naboth's whose vineyards are in jeopardy as are their lives. This is all part of what wicked rulers do - the theft of citizens private properties, murder of those who say no and reject the wicked king and his requests, ruling by fear and intimidation - even their wicked elders were in fear of Ahab and Jezebel truth be known....... It's a go along to survive another day mentality but the judgment of God is coming - there was a drought in the land for over 3 years (even as the Baal worship haven - California - has been experiencing drought for over three years now) and now there is an even greater judgment coming......

But first - one more commentary on Naboth's Vineyard because this modern day author actually compares Obama Administration to Ahab and Jezebel!

NABOTH S VINEYARD TRUTH TO FREEDOM

Jezebel sent instructions to the “elders and nobles” instructing them to hold a public meeting and to set Naboth in a high place. Then they should get “two Children of Belial”— that is men who were personifications of evil — to accuse Naboth of blasphemy. Blasphemy was a capital offense in ancient Israel and two witnesses were required to convict.[ii] The plan worked; the crowd was enraged by the accusations against Naboth; he was stoned to death; and at Jezebel’s behest Ahab got up and took the vineyard. It is an illustrative story of a ruler ignoring property rights, turning public opinion against those who resisted his claims to their property, and the political success of using false accusations—even 2,800 years ago.[iii]

Rulers always want the property of others—sometimes merely for self-aggrandizement, often so that they can hand it out to their supporters to gain their loyalty. In our day, it is common for those in power to use those in control (of the media) to find Children of Belial to demonize the intended victim so the rulers can take their property with impunity. In our country rulers don’t actually take the money of others to deposit into their own bank accounts; they take it to hand out to voters who will re-elect them. Don’t be fooled into seeing a difference where there is none: in Ahab’s day they simply plundered the property; today they call it taxes. Plundering and taxes have the same effect—they both result in private property being taken by force from its legitimate owners.[iv] It is done on a massive scale by the federal government.

Jezebel’s strategy only works if you pick the right accusation. Jezebel’s choice of accusation against Naboth was brilliant. She knew that blasphemy was so detested that it would inflame the passions of those present to carry out her selfish will. Rulers, and those seeking to be rulers, do the same today. They artfully choose accusations that will demonize those who oppose them. These accusations are a crystal clear indication of what politicians—whose great talent is diagnosing exactly what will resonate with voters—believe will turn the electorate against their foes. There is no point in making an accusation unless you expect it to work.

So what accusations do today’s politicians believe will be effective? How do you get the country so upset that they will demand that the property of others be grabbed and given to the rulers for redistribution to the compliant crowd? What about accusing today’s Naboths of not contributing their “Fair Share?” Why should anyone be permitted to keep a vineyard when others want a “Fair Share” of it? Of course in our day it is a particularly unjustifiable demand, when the Naboth’s of America (that is the wealthiest ten percent—measured by adjusted gross income) are already paying 70 of the income taxes. If there is anyone not contributing a Fair Share, it is the fifty percent of Americans who pay almost no income taxes.[v] But a false accusation worked so well for Jezebel 2,800 years ago, why not try it today?

Last edited:
1 Kings 21 KJV

Jezebel's Plot

11And the men of his city, even the elders and the nobles who were the inhabitants in his city, did as Jezebel had sent unto them, and as it was written in the letters which she had sent unto them. 12They proclaimed a fast, and set Naboth on high among the people. 13And there came in two men, children of Belial, and sat before him: and the men of Belial witnessed against him, even against Naboth, in the presence of the people, saying, Naboth did blaspheme God and the king. Then they carried him forth out of the city, and stoned him with stones, that he died. 14Then they sent to Jezebel, saying, Naboth is stoned, and is dead.

15And it came to pass, when Jezebel heard that Naboth was stoned, and was dead, that Jezebel said to Ahab, Arise, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, which he refused to give thee for money: for Naboth is not alive, but dead.16And it came to pass, when Ahab heard that Naboth was dead, that Ahab rose up to go down to the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, to take possession of it.
When, instead of a help meet, a man has an agent for Satan, in the form of an artful, unprincipled, yet beloved wife, fatal effects may be expected. Never were more wicked orders given by any prince, than those Jezebel sent to the rulers of Jezreel. Naboth must be murdered under colour of religion.

There is no wickedness so vile, so horrid, but religion has sometimes been made a cover for it. Also, it must be done under colour of justice, and with the formalities of legal process. Let us, from this sad story, be amazed at the wickedness of the wicked, and the power of Satan in the children of disobedience. Let us commit the keeping of our lives and comforts to God, for innocence will not always be our security; and let us rejoice in the knowledge that all will be set to rights in the great day.
My own comment - I stated early on that the spirit of Jezebel is the spirit that rules the Roman Catholic Institution. It is a spirit of murder, lies, perversion, temple prostitution male & female , religious yet deadly, it is the ultimate spirit of "Inquisition" & Baal worship - Jezebel sets herself up as the "Queen of heaven" - all must bow before her and be submitted under her rule - or else! How did the Roman Catholic Institution pull off 605 years of mass murder of Jews, Protestants and all others who rejected "her" - as -- ---->"The Mother Church" - truly she is"The Mother of Harlots" as she is identified in Bible Scripture - how did she pull it off? Kings and Queens of the earth bowed down to her and submitted to her wicked rule and if it weren't enough they are planning to do it again through the NWO which is yet another Jezebel plot to cast all religions under the jack boot of Roman Catholicism again! How did she do it? She used "religion". She cloaked it under a veil of pretending to act on behalf of God - this is what made Jezebel's plot so exquisitely evil. She used a religious Inquisition to murder Naboth -falsely accusing him. This is the very heart of the Roman Catholic Vatican - the very spirit that rules it - the Jezebel spirit.

Last edited:
Just one or two more commentaries - on Jezebel:

1 Kings 21 Gill s Exposition

And she wrote in the letters, saying, Proclaim a fast, and set Naboth on high among the people:
And she wrote in the letters, saying, proclaim a fast,.... Pretending fears of some dreadful calamity coming upon the nation, and therefore fasting and humiliation were necessary to avert it, and it would be right to inquire what crimes were committed by men among them, and punish them for them; and intimated to them that Naboth should be chosen as the great offender, and be accused, condemned, and put to death, R. Joseph Kimchi (a) thinks the phrase signifies "call an assembly or congregation"; convene a court of judicature, from the use of the word in the Talmudic language (b); and so it is thought it is used in Jeremiah 36:6 and indeed it can hardly be thought that Jezebel should have much notion of fasting; and besides, if it was a public fast, why should it be proclaimed only in Jezreel, and not throughout the kingdom?
and set Naboth on high among the people; the court being set, bring him to the bar and arraign him; perhaps in their courts of judicature there was a high place above the heads of the people, where criminals accused used to stand when they took their trials, that they might be seen and heard by all in court.

(a) Apud David. Kimchium in loc. (b) Vid. Buxtorf. Talmud. Lexic. in rad

and the final Gill's commentary for this set of verses:

1 Kings 21:15
And it came to pass, when Jezebel heard that Naboth was stoned, and was dead, that Jezebel said to Ahab, Arise, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, which he refused to give thee for money: for Naboth is not alive, but dead.
And it came to pass when Jezebel heard that Naboth was stoned, and was dead, that Jezebel said to Ahab,.... To whom she communicated the news as soon as possible:
arise, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, which he refused to give thee for money, for Naboth is not alive, but dead; some think that Naboth was a near relation to Ahab, his father's brother's son (e); which they endeavour to support from his estate lying next to Ahab's, and from his being ordered to be set in an high place among the people; and Josephus, as before observed, says he was of illustrious descent; and so Ahab upon his death, his sons being also put to death with him, was next heir to his estate; and therefore Jezebel bid him enter on the possession of it, he being dead, and his sons also, and therefore there was nothing in his way to obstruct him: but rather her meaning is, that Naboth was dead, not of a natural but violent death, by the hand of the civil magistrate; as for blasphemy against God, so for treason against the king, in virtue of which his estate was forfeited to the crown, and that Ahab had a right to possess it; and so it was certainly condemned in later times however among the Jews, that if a man was condemned to die by the sanhedrim, his goods came to his heirs, but if for treason against the king, they ceded to him (f).

(e) T. Bab. Sanhedrin, fol. 48. 2.((f) Sanhed. ib.

Last edited:
Elijah Denounces Ahab and Jezebel

17And the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying, 18Arise, go down to meet Ahab king of Israel, which is in Samaria: behold, he is in the vineyard of Naboth, whither he is gone down to possess it. 19And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, Hast thou killed, and also taken possession? And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, In the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth shall dogs lick thy blood, even thine.

20And Ahab said to Elijah, Hast thou found me, O mine enemy? And he answered, I have found thee: because thou hast sold thyself to work evil in the sight of the LORD.21Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,22And will make thine house like the house of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, and like the house of Baasha the son of Ahijah, for the provocation wherewith thou hast provoked me to anger, and made Israel to sin. 23And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel. 24Him that dieth of Ahab in the city the dogs shall eat; and him that dieth in the field shall the fowls of the air eat.
- to go and pronounce His judgment upon Ahab and Jezebel. It is Elijah - the one she could not kill who delivers the message of her imminent death and says, And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel. Glory to God! I love this story! What a wonderful blessing God gave Elijah! To God be the Glory!

Last edited:
Commentary on the judgment of God pronounced upon Ahab and Jezebel by His servant the prophet Elijah:

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

21:17-29 Blessed Paul complains that he was sold under sin, Ro 7:14, as a poor captive against his will; but Ahab was willing, he sold himself to sin; of choice, and as his own act and deed, he loved the dominion of sin. Jezebel his wife stirred him up to do wickedly.

Ahab is reproved, and his sin set before his eyes, by Elijah. That man's condition is very miserable, who has made the word of God his enemy; and very desperate, who reckons the ministers of that word his enemies, because they tell him the truth.

Ahab put on the garb and guise of a penitent, yet his heart was unhumbled and unchanged. Ahab's repentance was only what might be seen of men; it was outward only.

Let this encourage all that truly repent, and unfeignedly believe the holy gospel, that if a pretending partial penitent shall go to his house reprieved, doubtless, a sincere believing penitent shall go to his house justified.

1 Kings 21 KJV

Ahab's Repentance

25But there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the LORD, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up. 26And he did very abominably in following idols, according to all things as did the Amorites, whom the LORD cast out before the children of Israel.

27And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly. 28And the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying, 29Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house.

Once more we see the unfathomable mercy of God! Can you believe it? It's true! God shows us right here that He is going to have mercy upon Ahab for humbling himself before Him! Truly the mercy of God is far greater than Satan would like some of you readers to believe! God's mercy is Great! Very, very great!

This is a study of Elijah's life and the call of God upon his life. It is also a study of the effects Baal worship has upon a people, a nation and the judgment of God it brings. A little over 50 years had passed by since Israel had enjoyed righteous leadership under the rule of King David and from that time less than a century later - we see the kingdom God established become over run with evil. It was a steady decline which resulted in the rule of Ahab and his wicked wife, Jezebel. When Ahab became king of Israel God said that he had done evil above all that were before him. (1 Kings 14:9) No ruler before him had ever had such an evil heart, had every ruled so wickedly as king Ahab did! He and his evil queen had brought Israel to the depths of sin through Baal worship and immersing the people in satanic sins. God had seen enough and now he was sending His prophet to confront the sin in the land, pronounce His judgment over the land and set His house (Israel) in order.

The story of Elijah is the story of good vs. evil, righteousness vs. wickedness, the servants of Baal vs the servants of God and the ultimate confrontation between the two which resulted in the servants of Baal being defeated and put to open shame. The victory of Elijah is a great lesson to the church of what to do and what not to do when our nation is ruled by the wicked and they are spreading themselves out like a bay tree.

We begin with rulers that preceded Ahab so that we may see the condition of Israel prior to Ahabs' ascension to the throne - ruling over the people of Israel.

For the sake of time (due to the length of this lesson from Scripture), I'm posting links for Scriptures used by KJV Bible Online. I will also be giving credit to the many authors who have written about Elijah (when I quote them). I want to share their observations here which I find to be very important and revealing when studying the life of Elijah. Other than King David - I do not believe I have examined anyone's life more closely than that of Elijah's (in the old Testament). There have been many books written about his life and his confrontation with Baal worship, Ahab and Jezebel. He is very important prophet of the Bible.

Beginning here:

1 Kings 15 KJV

Abijam's Wicked Reign in Judah

(2 Chronicles 13:1-3)
1Now in the eighteenth year of king Jeroboam the son of Nebat reigned Abijam over Judah. 2Three years reigned he in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Maachah, the daughter of Abishalom. 3And he walked in all the sins of his father, which he had done before him: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father. 4Nevertheless for David's sake did the LORD his God give him a lamp in Jerusalem, to set up his son after him, and to establish Jerusalem: 5Because David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from anything that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite. 6And there was war between Rehoboam and Jeroboam all the days of his life.

7Now the rest of the acts of Abijam, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah? And there was war between Abijam and Jeroboam.

8And Abijam slept with his fathers; and they buried him in the city of David: and Asa his son reigned in his stead.

Did you know that when the chariot from heaven came and took Elijah it took him to another part of the earth( retired) the heaven mentioned was just our atmosphere, because 10 years later Elijah wrote a letter to the king. 2Chron 21:12-15

This is a study of Elijah's life and the call of God upon his life. It is also a study of the effects Baal worship has upon a people, a nation and the judgment of God it brings. A little over 50 years had passed by since Israel had enjoyed righteous leadership under the rule of King David and from that time less than a century later - we see the kingdom God established become over run with evil. It was a steady decline which resulted in the rule of Ahab and his wicked wife, Jezebel. When Ahab became king of Israel God said that he had done evil above all that were before him. (1 Kings 14:9) No ruler before him had ever had such an evil heart, had every ruled so wickedly as king Ahab did! He and his evil queen had brought Israel to the depths of sin through Baal worship and immersing the people in satanic sins. God had seen enough and now he was sending His prophet to confront the sin in the land, pronounce His judgment over the land and set His house (Israel) in order.

The story of Elijah is the story of good vs. evil, righteousness vs. wickedness, the servants of Baal vs the servants of God and the ultimate confrontation between the two which resulted in the servants of Baal being defeated and put to open shame. The victory of Elijah is a great lesson to the church of what to do and what not to do when our nation is ruled by the wicked and they are spreading themselves out like a bay tree.

We begin with rulers that preceded Ahab so that we may see the condition of Israel prior to Ahabs' ascension to the throne - ruling over the people of Israel.

For the sake of time (due to the length of this lesson from Scripture), I'm posting links for Scriptures used by KJV Bible Online. I will also be giving credit to the many authors who have written about Elijah (when I quote them). I want to share their observations here which I find to be very important and revealing when studying the life of Elijah. Other than King David - I do not believe I have examined anyone's life more closely than that of Elijah's (in the old Testament). There have been many books written about his life and his confrontation with Baal worship, Ahab and Jezebel. He is very important prophet of the Bible.

Beginning here:

1 Kings 15 KJV

Abijam's Wicked Reign in Judah

(2 Chronicles 13:1-3)
1Now in the eighteenth year of king Jeroboam the son of Nebat reigned Abijam over Judah. 2Three years reigned he in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Maachah, the daughter of Abishalom. 3And he walked in all the sins of his father, which he had done before him: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father. 4Nevertheless for David's sake did the LORD his God give him a lamp in Jerusalem, to set up his son after him, and to establish Jerusalem: 5Because David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from anything that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite. 6And there was war between Rehoboam and Jeroboam all the days of his life.

7Now the rest of the acts of Abijam, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah? And there was war between Abijam and Jeroboam.

8And Abijam slept with his fathers; and they buried him in the city of David: and Asa his son reigned in his stead.

Did you know that when the chariot from heaven came and took Elijah it took him to another part of the earth( retired) the heaven mentioned was just our atmosphere, because 10 years later Elijah wrote a letter to the king. 2Chron 21:12-15

No, I have never heard that before, kwj47. I believe that the Bible states that Elijah was caught up to heaven. The letter you mention is believed to have been written by him earlier and delivered by way of Elisha or one of the other prophets. Jehoram was Jehoshoshapat's son. The Book of Chronicles was the record of what had taken place.

For an example:

On that night could not the king sleep, and he commanded to bring the book of records of the chronicles; and they were read before the king.
Esther 6:1

So the king was reading the record of events having taken place before and by doing this he learns that Mordecai was responsible for saving his life and had never received recognition of that fact.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back