Dennis Hastert Is Indicted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the Tu Quoque Brigade, you are standing on very, very shaky ground.

Dennis Hastert was willing to pay $3.5 million to keep someone quiet about something he had done to them. It is unknown whether he was being blackmailed or if he made the offer in order to hush the victim up.

In any case, he is a wealthy person who was trying to buy his way out of some seriously deep shit. Ask yourselves to honestly appraise how you would be treating someone of the opposite party in such a situation.

You might want to wait and find out what he was attempting to bury before jumping on the Tu Quoque bandwagon.
It doesn't have to be deep shit. Just embarrassing shit. Suppose it's an illegitimate child.
Why would Hastert pay $3.5 million to keep an illegitimate child from going public?

I didn't read the link but assuming Haster is guilty, I'm sure he will be held accountable for his actions (unlike all the tax cheats and other criminals in Obama's cabinet).

Uhuh....

Of course you didn't read the link. I don't expect Righties to even try or make a pretense of actually reading material these days. Must be a knuckledragger thing...
Hey dumbshit, I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I said "assuming he is guilty". What more do you want? I'm not obligated to read your fucking link, ok? I already saw the story. I guess your personal attack was to avoid responding to my comment about Obama's criminal cabinet, huh?

Thank you for proving my point.

Righties can't read, they can't process information, they absolutely can't discern and they can't put together a cogent argument without knuckledragging. All they can do is grunt in between scratching their small balls.

If Obama's cabinet is criminal, why have charges not been filed? Hmmm...

Oh, let me guess: you think the DOJ is criminal, too.

You missed the entire point of the OP, but being a Rightie, I expected that you would.

Righties: too predictable.
BINGO, fucktard! Thank you for proving MY point. Now I'll leave and let this thread die of loneliness. :lol:

Good!

He was Speaker of the House during the G.W. Bush Administration and I despise that gluttonous, arrogant bastard. I hope he is convicted, sent to prison, and dies there.
That's pretty harsh, but I have to say back when he was the Speaker, I figured he'd done the deed with one of his students/wrestlers. I don't care too much about paying hush money, but if he did statutory rape while a teacher, he needs go down .... errrrr, face the punishment ... errr ... do time.

Dennis Hastert was willing to pay $3.5 million to keep someone quiet about something he had done to them. It is unknown whether he was being blackmailed or if he made the offer in order to hush the victim up.

In any case, he is a wealthy person who was trying to buy his way out of some seriously deep shit. Ask yourselves to honestly appraise how you would be treating someone of the opposite party in such a situation.

You might want to wait and find out what he was attempting to bury before jumping on the Tu Quoque bandwagon.
It doesn't have to be deep shit. Just embarrassing shit. Suppose it's an illegitimate child.
Why would Hastert pay $3.5 million to keep an illegitimate child from going public?
Why not?

Hastert took over as speaker after Gingrich was given the boot over a sex scandal with one of his aids. Hastert wasn't the first pick however. Bob Livingston the Congressman from Louisiana was chosen to replace Gingrich. Oops, Livingston had his own sex scandal to deal with so he was booted.

Why not?
Because HE WAS STILL PAYING AFTER HE LEFT POLITICS.

Not conclusive but from LA Times:

Dennis Hastert paid to conceal sexual misconduct, sources say

Indicted former House Speaker Dennis Hastert was paying an individual from his past to conceal sexual misconduct, two federal law enforcement officials said Friday.

One of the officials, who would not speak publicly about the federal charges in Chicago, said “Individual A,” as the person is described in Thursday’s federal indictment, was a man and that the alleged misconduct was unrelated to Hastert’s tenure in Congress. The actions date to Hastert’s time as a Yorkville, Ill., high school wrestling coach and teacher, the official said.

“It goes back a long way, back to then,” the source said. “It has nothing to do with public corruption or a corruption scandal. Or to his time in office.” Thursday’s indictment described the misconduct “against Individual A” as having “occurred years earlier.”

Asked why Hastert was making the payments, the official said it was to conceal Hastert’s past relationship with the male. “It was sex,’’ the source said. The other official confirmed that the misconduct involved sexual abuse.

Hastert and his attorneys could not be reached. Representatives of his lobbying firm declined to comment.

Indicted former House Speaker Dennis Hastert was paying an individual from his past to conceal sexual misconduct, two federal law enforcement officials said Friday.

One of the officials, who would not speak publicly about the federal charges in Chicago, said “Individual A,” as the person is described in Thursday’s federal indictment, was a man and that the alleged misconduct was unrelated to Hastert’s tenure in Congress. The actions date to Hastert’s time as a Yorkville, Ill., high school wrestling coach and teacher, the official said.

“It goes back a long way, back to then,” the source said. “It has nothing to do with public corruption or a corruption scandal. Or to his time in office.” Thursday’s indictment described the misconduct “against Individual A” as having “occurred years earlier.”

Asked why Hastert was making the payments, the official said it was to conceal Hastert’s past relationship with the male. “It was sex,’’ the source said. The other official confirmed that the misconduct involved sexual abuse.

Hastert and his attorneys could not be reached. Representatives of his lobbying firm declined to comment.
"Sexual misconduct" can be a lot of things. It could be anything from an adulterous affair all the way down to child molestation.

Make note that neither of the anonymous sources say the male was a minor at the time, although the second source called it "sexual abuse" of some kind.

I don't like stories built on anonymous sources.

"Sexual misconduct" can be a lot of things. It could be anything from an adulterous affair all the way down to child molestation.

Make note that neither of the anonymous sources say the male was a minor at the time.

Very true. Though this article doesn't lend itself to an adulterous affair when it states this:

"The other official confirmed that the misconduct involved sexual abuse."

All very anonymous with few facts, so, this story very well could end up being about anything.

Why not?
What was he paying? Extortion or support?

Right now no one has any information to determine anything except no crime was committed. If it was extortion, the person receiving the payments would already be in custody. Extortion is a crime.

Hastert is accused of structuring. That means moving your own money around in ways the government doesn't like. No other crime.

There have only been three details released. The payments were made to a single individual. The relationship between Hastert and this individual was for the life of the individual and the total paid over this term was 3.5 million dollars.

Everything else is imaginary

Why not?
What was he paying? Extortion or support?

Right now no one has any information to determine anything except no crime was committed. If it was extortion, the person receiving the payments would already be in custody. Extortion is a crime.

Hastert is accused of structuring. That means moving your own money around in ways the government doesn't like. No other crime.

There have only been three details released. The payments were made to a single individual. The relationship between Hastert and this individual was for the life of the individual and the total paid over this term was 3.5 million dollars.

Everything else is imaginary

Structuring is illegal, illegal is illegal.

Eh, he also lied to the FBI.

Your facts are wrong too. He didn't pay out 3.5 million, that was the agreed upon amount and thanks to him trying to hide the gifts he never paid it all.

This is a great example of the consequences of laws which are turned to uses other than those that were advertised to get those laws passed.

The Patriot Act gave our federal government huge new powers, all under the guise of fighting terra-ists. Now it is being turned on all sorts of domestic crimes, and every American is being spied upon.

The $10,000 law was passed ostensibly to fight drug dealers, but here we see it being used to prosecute a guy who is trying to cover up what may be some kind of sex crime, and everyone in America is going to be treated like a criminal if they move more than $10,000 from Point A to Point B.

Good!

He was Speaker of the House during the G.W. Bush Administration and I despise that gluttonous, arrogant bastard. I hope he is convicted, sent to prison, and dies there.

I'm curious to know what secret was so severe that he felt compelled to pay 1.5 million to keep it secret.

Good!

perhaps you should tell us how you really feel.

This is a great example of the consequences of laws which are turned to uses other than those that were advertised to get those laws passed.

The Patriot Act gave our federal government huge new powers, all under the guise of fighting terra-ists. Now it is being turned on all sorts of domestic crimes, and every American is being spied upon.

The $10,000 law was passed ostensibly to fight drug dealers, but here we see it being used to prosecute a guy who is trying to cover up what may be some kind of sex crime, and everyone in America is going to be treated like a criminal if they move more than $10,000 from Point A to Point B.

Its not the moving of the money that causes problems, as its not illegal. Its the failure to report the movement of the money. Or more specifically, structuring withdrawals to avoid the $10,000 withdrawal threshold for bank reporting to the IRS.

If it was an illegitimate child, I doubt the indictment would say, "Individual A and defendant discussed past misconduct by defendant against Individual A that had occurred years earlier."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back