CDZ Can a LACK of Discipline be a Form of Abuse?

I have a nine year old nephew who has significant discipline issues. Parents, grandparents, teachers, etc... he refuses to accept any form of authority over him. He’s been diagnosed as having Obsessive Defiance Disorder (ODD) and ADHD.

Nobody who has any authority over this kid will stand up to him. He’s allowed to make his own rules and throws a massive fit whenever any sort of discipline is even talked about. He curses and swears at his parents and literally ignores any limits imposed on him by anyone in authority.

At some point does failing to apply actual order and discipline on this child become a form of abuse or neglect in its own right? I’m not suggesting a need to get authorities involved, but st what point are these people doing this child a massive disservice with potentially lifelong consequences?
/---/ Back in the day a kid like that would get a paddling. Usually one would do the trick - problem solved. But today, we listen to Dr Phil and Oprah and coddle the kids or load him up on meds.

At age nine he's well past the paddling stage.
Yup. Since they failed to instill respect in this child; they’ll now have to earn it. Not impossible... But it won’t be pretty, and is unlikely to be pleasant. The only question is, “ do they love this child enough to do right by him, even in difficult circumstances”?
Or are they bright enough. This could be "Lazy Parenting" or Parenting by a Challenged Person." What is the father like? Is he around?

Some parents want to be "their friend" and arre afraid they child will not like them if they make him angry. Unless the mother is out of the equation, this kid is lost.

I have a nine year old nephew who has significant discipline issues. Parents, grandparents, teachers, etc... he refuses to accept any form of authority over him. He’s been diagnosed as having Obsessive Defiance Disorder (ODD) and ADHD.

Nobody who has any authority over this kid will stand up to him. He’s allowed to make his own rules and throws a massive fit whenever any sort of discipline is even talked about. He curses and swears at his parents and literally ignores any limits imposed on him by anyone in authority.

At some point does failing to apply actual order and discipline on this child become a form of abuse or neglect in its own right? I’m not suggesting a need to get authorities involved, but st what point are these people doing this child a massive disservice with potentially lifelong consequences?
/---/ Back in the day a kid like that would get a paddling. Usually one would do the trick - problem solved. But today, we listen to Dr Phil and Oprah and coddle the kids or load him up on meds.

/----/ Think so? I was 14 at a boarding school run by Franciscan brothers and corporal punishment was still legal. They had a list or infractions and what each one cost you in the number of paddles you received. 1 for walking on the lawn. 2 for talking in class out of turn. One1 for each cigarette, and/or match you were caught with. And God forbid you cried while getting the swats in front of your classmates.
SCHOOL CORPORAL PUNISHMENT: Video clips - United States real-life paddlings, page 1
We called the paddle with holes drilled in it Big Bertha because it whistled when the brother swung it.
iu

Did it change the behavior, or simply change your strategies to not get caught?
Both are beneficial. Therein lies the benefit of mitigating risk, in ones patterns of behavior.

Yup. Since they failed to instill respect in this child; they’ll now have to earn it. Not impossible... But it won’t be pretty, and is unlikely to be pleasant. The only question is, “ do they love this child enough to do right by him, even in difficult circumstances”?
Or are they bright enough. This could be "Lazy Parenting" or Parenting by a Challenged Person." What is the father like? Is he around?

Some parents want to be "their friend" and arre afraid they child will not like them if they make him angry. Unless the mother is out of the equation, this kid is lost.
We definitely need more information on the father. Not whatever swinging dick lives with the kid. The ACTUAL father...

My dad had a cure for "Obsessive Defiance Disorder". It was the belt that he usually wore around his waist.

My dad had a cure for "Obsessive Defiance Disorder". It was the belt that he usually wore around his waist.
I think a swat is a good thing, but not to be overdone. If it used too much, the child begins to think he's in a helpless, hopeless situation. That in turn starts to affect the relationship with the child and the child turns inward so talking with him is difficukt.

I think a swat is a good thing, but not to be overdone. If it used too much, the child begins to think he's in a helpless, hopeless situation. That in turn starts to affect the relationship with the child and the child turns inward so talking with him is difficukt.
True. A balance needs to be struck. Imbalance is what led to this scenario...

True. A balance needs to be struck. Imbalance is what led to this scenario...
I wonder if there is ANYONE in the family that can rear him properly. A grandparent, aunt, God parent?

He needs strong leadership. That’s why I ask about the father... With strong leadership such children can be remarkable. So much potential being wasted... Such a shame...

/----/ Think so? I was 14 at a boarding school run by Franciscan brothers and corporal punishment was still legal. They had a list or infractions and what each one cost you in the number of paddles you received. 1 for walking on the lawn. 2 for talking in class out of turn. One1 for each cigarette, and/or match you were caught with. And God forbid you cried while getting the swats in front of your classmates.
SCHOOL CORPORAL PUNISHMENT: Video clips - United States real-life paddlings, page 1
We called the paddle with holes drilled in it Big Bertha because it whistled when the brother swung it.
iu

/——/ It changed behavior. To this day I won’t walk on my own lawn. And the dormitories were built in the 1920s out of wood and you couldn’t have 150 kids running around with matches. Think of Notre Dame Church the other day.

Whoop dat ass until he gets right, or else the law/state will take control of him before he grows up.

Forget all that psychiatric bibblety-babble, beat dat butt!

I am all for "time outs" and taking fun stuff away from kids as punishment/discipline. However, a good ass whipping is in order if the kid is defiant in face of the other forms of discipline. Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Also, not all kids are "wired" the same. What works with one child may not work so well with another.

No one is remotely interested in listening to me, but Oppositional Defiant Disorder is not something you can fix with a belt or a paddle. It is not caused by lax parenting or over permissive parenting, either. It is a disorder in the child's ability to process his/her emotional load.

At this point no one has his respect. Someone has to enter the picture that can be calm, respectful to him and at the same time draw that clear line of acceptable behavior and errant behavior. Praise the acceptable and use the 3 strike you're out method of correcting a child. First time for the bad behavior, talk and explain what is the appropriate behavior and why. Second step is a consequence that is not painful, but a favorable activity is withdrawn. Third is the paddle and the strikes out should not be altered. Alwasys the same three steps.

iu

/——/ It changed behavior. To this day I won’t walk on my own lawn. And the dormitories were built in the 1920s out of wood and you couldn’t have 150 kids running around with matches. Think of Notre Dame Church the other day.

Interesting. I went to Catholic schools in the 50s-60s, when corporal punishment was the norm.

It didn't change my behavior a lick. :auiqs.jpg:

No one is remotely interested in listening to me, but Oppositional Defiant Disorder is not something you can fix with a belt or a paddle. It is not caused by lax parenting or over permissive parenting, either. It is a disorder in the child's ability to process his/her emotional load.
It seems to me that ADHD and ODD, especially ODD can be incorrectly diagnosed when the situation arose that actually was the result of inappropriate parenting.

It’s not a disorder. And nothing needs to be “fixed”. Jesus Christ no wonder kids are so fucked up today. The child’s development isn’t being fostered. And your “disorders” are the result.

Sounds like our President

They ended up sending him to military school

I am all for "time outs" and taking fun stuff away from kids as punishment/discipline. However, a good ass whipping is in order if the kid is defiant in face of the other forms of discipline. Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Also, not all kids are "wired" the same. What works with one child may not work so well with another.
Most kids are wired the same, but have different ways of releasing their anxiety. I taught children before they were diagnosed properly for special education. They always reacted positively to respect, clear lines of authority and demands by me. I have seen children sitting under their desks, pounding their heads against the wall, children with fetal alcohol syndrome, children who would fly off the handle and run around the room snatching everyones paper tearing them up and a child's only desire was to lick the bottom of his shoe while another brought a knife to school to kill dogs lhe saw along the way.. They all responded positively to acceptance, respect and subtle caressing of their back when they were just about to go "off."

Forum List

Back