Bobby Jindal wants $300 million dollars for Louisiana high speed trains

Question: Do highspeed trains such as this carry freight? Or just passengers?

They carry both. I was reading that European and Japanese trains can go to speeds of over 200mph. Because of advances, they use 30% less energy which makes them competitive with planes. The secret is they weld and grind between the rails. You don't get that clack-clack like on regular rails. Every one of those bumps cost energy and add wear. Anyway, that's the little bit I know.

Oh those scientists. Aways coming up with "new". Wish I could understand why no Republican wants to be one.

dont know, but i suppose they could
what he really should be for is for a private firm to step in and build and run one for freight from NO to Chicago
it could also carry passengers if needed

That route would most likely involve MO, AR, MS and maybe TN. So Jindal can't be for it as just Governor, he would cross state lines. So that's not fair. It may be a good idea, but not within his purview.

What does the route you proposed seek to promote? What does LA have that Chicago needs/wants? and vice versa? the states in between?
NO is one of the largest ports for shipping in the country
chicago is a big user of freight
seems like a good idea
but not with federal funds

That would be a scenario that actually deserves/would require Federal funding/oversight. As it is, Jindal got a pile of money and can spend it within his state. I'm not sure this is the best utilization of this pile for his state though. Seems ill-considered.

Here's the article 'Think Progress' references:

Passenger rail is explored to link Baton Rouge, New Orleans - NOLA.com

State transportation official Tom Atkinson is requesting it. Atkinson said he plans to present a proposal to William Ankner, secretary for DOTD, by Sept. 1.

If Ankner signs off on the plan, it would be submitted to Gov. Bobby Jindal.

Question: Do highspeed trains such as this carry freight? Or just passengers?

They carry both. I was reading that European and Japanese trains can go to speeds of over 200mph. Because of advances, they use 30% less energy which makes them competitive with planes. The secret is they weld and grind between the rails. You don't get that clack-clack like on regular rails. Every one of those bumps cost energy and add wear. Anyway, that's the little bit I know.

Oh those scientists. Aways coming up with "new". Wish I could understand why no Republican wants to be one.
The French TGV is a pleasure to ride. This is a record setting run by a TGV.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw4zn-qw1oM]YouTube - Worlds fastest Train: 574.8kmph.[/ame]

BATON ROUGE -- The state is working on plans to seek about $300 million from the federal government to launch passenger railroad service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Similar proposals have failed, including two tries since Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005.

This plan faces major hurdles too. One is how the state would come up with $18 million per year to operate the rail service.

However, top state officials contend that in a best-case scenario, rail service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans could begin by 2013.

"We think we will have a ridership level to sustain the service and make it grow, " state transportation official Tom Atkinson said Wednesday.

Atkinson is acting assistant secretary for public works, hurricane and flood protection and intermodal transportation for the state Department of Transportation and Development.

"Long term we see it as a very valuable economic incubator for the entire corridor, " Atkinson said.

Atkinson envisions a system where riders pay $10 or $12 to ride a train each way between the two cities. Four to eight daily round trips are under discussion.

In addition, the new line could become part of a Gulf Coast high-speed rail plan with top speeds of 110 miles per hour. The Baton Rouge-New Orleans segment would include top speeds of 79 mph.

Atkinson said he plans to present a proposal to William Ankner, secretary for DOTD, by Sept. 1.

From link^

So there is a larger system it would tie into, but no freight. Bummer.

BATON ROUGE -- The state is working on plans to seek about $300 million from the federal government to launch passenger railroad service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Similar proposals have failed, including two tries since Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005.

This plan faces major hurdles too. One is how the state would come up with $18 million per year to operate the rail service.

However, top state officials contend that in a best-case scenario, rail service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans could begin by 2013.

"We think we will have a ridership level to sustain the service and make it grow, " state transportation official Tom Atkinson said Wednesday.

Atkinson is acting assistant secretary for public works, hurricane and flood protection and intermodal transportation for the state Department of Transportation and Development.

"Long term we see it as a very valuable economic incubator for the entire corridor, " Atkinson said.

Atkinson envisions a system where riders pay $10 or $12 to ride a train each way between the two cities. Four to eight daily round trips are under discussion.

In addition, the new line could become part of a Gulf Coast high-speed rail plan with top speeds of 110 miles per hour. The Baton Rouge-New Orleans segment would include top speeds of 79 mph.

Atkinson said he plans to present a proposal to William Ankner, secretary for DOTD, by Sept. 1.

From link^

So there is a larger system it would tie into, but no freight. Bummer.
so wait, this isnt even a proposal of Jindals?
hmmm
maybe i was hasty in calling him a hypocrite

Jindal is a laughing stock. Hypocrite is not strong enough a word for this clown. He appeared on the front page of every newspaper in the state smiling big ear to big ear and handing out checks for millions from the recovery act and the Obams package, but he signed his name instead and never revealed where the funds came from!

simpsons20monorail.gif

High speed rail is Biden's Pet project. It works in the Northeast Corridor and would be modeled after the system in Europe.
Obama unveils high-speed passenger rail plan - CNN.com
The plans have been around for decades.
Jindal looking like a hypocrite is just icing on the cake.

It works here in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic because we are small states with dense populations and megalopolae. Louisiana is a larger state with hardly any density outside of the 2 cities mentioned. Add freight and I'm more attracted to the idea.

High speed rail is Biden's Pet project. It works in the Northeast Corridor and would be modeled after the system in Europe.

It works here in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic because we are small states with dense populations and megalopolae. Louisiana is a larger state with hardly any density outside of the 2 cities mentioned. Add freight and I'm more attracted to the idea.
um, thats not completed or even started yet
so how can you say it "works" yet?
and what will define "it works"
to me it would mean it is self sustaining
not needing public funding to stay running

except its been shown that Jindal hasnt even touched this yet

So it isn't Obama's fault that the stimulus isn't being spent........and not employing people.

shhhh!!! don't tell elvis and belching beagle !!!!!!!

Freight roads actually are profitable and don't need help, long haul passenger rail on the other hand has always lost money. Amtrak's Northeast corridor actually makes money which is lost on routes that are not as profitable.

The Boston-New York-Washington portion of the Northeast Corridor carried 10,897,852 passengers in FY 2008 on Acela Express, Regional Service or other trains. Three other corridors had ridership that topped one million or more: Pacific Surfliner Service (San Diego-Los Angeles-San Luis Obispo, 2,898,859), Capitol Corridor Service (San Jose-Oakland-Sacramento-Auburn, 1,693,580) and the Keystone Corridor Service (Harrisburg-Philadelphia-New York City, 1,183,821).
Four other corridors had ridership in excess of a half-million passengers:

Empire Service (New York-Albany-Niagara Falls): 1,348,785
San Joaquin Service (Oakland-Sacramento-Bakersfield): 949,611
Amtrak Cascades Service (Eugene-Portland-Seattle-Vancouver, B.C.): 760,323
Hiawatha Service (Chicago-Milwaukee): 749,659

Amtrak - Inside Amtrak - News & Media - National Fact Sheet

um, thats not completed or even started yet
so how can you say it "works" yet?
and what will define "it works"
to me it would mean it is self sustaining
not needing public funding to stay running

The "Northeast Corridor" works and is the line between Washington DC and Boston. Try using the Google and type in The Pennsylvania Railroad or the New York Central or Path or SEPTA or LIRR or MBTA read for awhile then get back to us when you have something intelligent to say.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back