Bobby Jindal wants $300 million dollars for Louisiana high speed trains

It works here in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic because we are small states with dense populations and megalopolae. Louisiana is a larger state with hardly any density outside of the 2 cities mentioned. Add freight and I'm more attracted to the idea.
um, thats not completed or even started yet
so how can you say it "works" yet?
and what will define "it works"
to me it would mean it is self sustaining
not needing public funding to stay running

The "Northeast Corridor" works and is the line between Washington DC and Boston. Try using the Google and type in The Pennsylvania Railroad or the New York Central or Path or SEPTA or LIRR or MBTA read for awhile then get back to us when you have something intelligent to say.
yet thats not "high speed"
thats pre-existing systems

and btw, asshole, still waiting on your first intelligent post

The "Northeast Corridor" works and is the line between Washington DC and Boston. Try using the Google and type in The Pennsylvania Railroad or the New York Central or Path or SEPTA or LIRR or MBTA read for awhile then get back to us when you have something intelligent to say.

I think PI2's posts are very intelligent so far..... and he/she has a wolfhound avatar.......hehehehh

So PI2, do you think LA has the density, or potential density to make this a viable endeavor/investment?

Question: Do highspeed trains such as this carry freight? Or just passengers?

Two questions:

A. Where does freight have to get to fast?

B. Would you like to try to stop a fully loaded freight train moving at high speed? It would be freightening.

Question: Do highspeed trains such as this carry freight? Or just passengers?

Two questions:

A. Where does freight have to get to fast?

B. Would you like to try to stop a fully loaded freight train moving at high speed? It would be freightening.

seriously?!?!? Speed means you can move more, more often.

I don't know why I bother.........:cuckoo:

hell, if he wants that he should put it in a bond issue and have the citizens of LA vote on if they want to build it and pay for it
but no federal money should be spent on it

Exactly. If The citizens of Lousiana WANT it? let them have a STATE referendum, and not become SLAVES to the FED.

Once any one entity accepts funds from the FED? You become their WHORE, and the FED is yer PIMP.

Good show, Dive!

Search the internets using the Google type in Acela and like I said get back to us when you have something intelligent to say.

LA is in the hole, they wouldn't get jack squat if they had to come up with it themselves. Try some realism. That whole gulf corridor is in epic fail mode due to natural disasters and ignorance......the latter might be some form of the former........

Search the internets using the Google type in Acela and like I said get back to us when you have something intelligent to say.
sorry asshole, i dont do your homework for you
but you can fuck off

High speed rail is Biden's Pet project. It works in the Northeast Corridor and would be modeled after the system in Europe.
Obama unveils high-speed passenger rail plan - CNN.com
The plans have been around for decades.
Jindal looking like a hypocrite is just icing on the cake.
except its been shown that Jindal hasnt even touched this yet
According to the OP:

The AP reported earlier this month that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s (R-LA) administration is planning to request $300 million dollars from the federal government to develop a high-speed rail between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The trains, which would run at about 79mph, would be part of a larger Gulf Coast rail plan with top speeds of 110mph. Much of the money, however, comes from the Recovery Act, a stimulus measure Jindal not only opposed, but recently called a failure.

In opposing the Recovery Act, Jindal offered the Republican party’s official response to President Obama’s nationwide address last February. Jindal specifically smeared high-speed rail projects as “wasteful spending”:

JINDAL: While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a “magnetic levitation” line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called “volcano monitoring.”

Despite Jindal’s political grandstanding, officials in his own administration have praised the idea of high-speed rail. “Long term, we see it as a very valuable economic incubator for the entire corridor, ” said Tom Atkinson, an official in the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development.

He was against it before he was for it :lol:

And this is just bullshit:

Though he slams it as a “stimulus that has not stimulated,” Jindal recently went on a 64-parish tour handing out jumbo-sized ceremonial checks filled largely with Recovery Act funds (view a compilation of Jindal’s check giveaways here). Rather than acknowledging the source of the money, Jindal printed his own name on the checks.

Though Jindal has been rapidly spending stimulus money for infrastructure projects around the state, his administration has refused to put up signs disclosing each project has been funded by Recovery Act.

I think PI2's posts are very intelligent so far..... and he/she has a wolfhound avatar.......hehehehh

So PI2, do you think LA has the density, or potential density to make this a viable endeavor/investment?

Diego, LA, to Frisco definetly has the density. The speed has got to get over 150.
There are a couple of initiatives called PTC (Positive Train Control) and the elimination of dark territory using CBTC (Communications Based Train Control) that new technology has made possible to automatically control every train on every mile of track. Here are a couple of links
FEDERAL RAILROAD ADMINISTRATION : PASSENGER RAIL
FEDERAL RAILROAD ADMINISTRATION : PRESS ROOM
What this does is allow denser traffic and higher speed on a given line by knowing exactly where each train is at every moment.

I saw that on ... discovery? History? one of those geeky channels I watch. Cool stuff :)

Diego, LA, to Frisco definetly has the density. The speed has got to get over 150.
There are a couple of initiatives called PTC (Positive Train Control) and the elimination of dark territory using CBTC (Communications Based Train Control) that new technology has made possible to automatically control every train on every mile of track. Here are a couple of links
What this does is allow denser traffic and higher speed on a given line by knowing exactly where each train is at every moment.

My reference to LA meant Louisiana's proposal, not Los Angeles. Sorry for the confusion.

I saw that on ... discovery? History? one of those geeky channels I watch. Cool stuff :)

Yup High Speed Rail already a proven technology in the good old US of A.

High speed rail is Biden's Pet project. It works in the Northeast Corridor and would be modeled after the system in Europe.
Obama unveils high-speed passenger rail plan - CNN.com
The plans have been around for decades.
Jindal looking like a hypocrite is just icing on the cake.
According to the OP:

The AP reported earlier this month that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s (R-LA) administration is planning to request $300 million dollars from the federal government to develop a high-speed rail between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The trains, which would run at about 79mph, would be part of a larger Gulf Coast rail plan with top speeds of 110mph. Much of the money, however, comes from the Recovery Act, a stimulus measure Jindal not only opposed, but recently called a failure.

In opposing the Recovery Act, Jindal offered the Republican party’s official response to President Obama’s nationwide address last February. Jindal specifically smeared high-speed rail projects as “wasteful spending”:

JINDAL: While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a “magnetic levitation” line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called “volcano monitoring.”

Despite Jindal’s political grandstanding, officials in his own administration have praised the idea of high-speed rail. “Long term, we see it as a very valuable economic incubator for the entire corridor, ” said Tom Atkinson, an official in the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development.

Though he slams it as a “stimulus that has not stimulated,” Jindal recently went on a 64-parish tour handing out jumbo-sized ceremonial checks filled largely with Recovery Act funds (view a compilation of Jindal’s check giveaways here). Rather than acknowledging the source of the money, Jindal printed his own name on the checks.

Though Jindal has been rapidly spending stimulus money for infrastructure projects around the state, his administration has refused to put up signs disclosing each project has been funded by Recovery Act.
yeah, imagine that, the AP didnt tell the truth
color me not surprised

According to the OP:

color me not surprised

What kind of pretzel logic are you using now???? WTF?

My reference to LA meant Louisiana's proposal, not Los Angeles. Sorry for the confusion.

No but as a part of a larger New Orleans, Mobile, Biloxi, Tallahassee, Orlando maybe just maybe. Tie that west into Dallas Fort Worth south to Houston and east into Jacksonville and south to Miami maybe you're talking something. Maybe.

Last edited:
Isn't he the one who took money, made a big check and presented it as his idea and money to a guy? Isn't he the one who initially said he didn't want any stimulus money? Bobby, he is your future...don't forget.

Bobby and Sarah would be perfect.

Yup High Speed Rail already a proven technology in the good old US of A.

But what we call "high speed rail" compared to other countries is a joke.

According to the OP:

color me not surprised

lol

How did they not tell the truth? Jindal railed against the money and this particular use (pun intended), but he accepted it and his administration plans to go ahead with this project?

Forum List

Back