Bobby Jindal wants $300 million dollars for Louisiana high speed trains

Typical Republican hypocracy

Every cent spend by the FEDs is wasteful except the pork that goes to his chums

THAT is somehow always a wise investment.

Last edited:
That speech is turning out to be the worst first impression on the nation I've ever seen.

According to the OP:

The AP reported earlier this month that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s (R-LA) administration is planning to request $300 million dollars from the federal government to develop a high-speed rail between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The trains, which would run at about 79mph, would be part of a larger Gulf Coast rail plan with top speeds of 110mph. Much of the money, however, comes from the Recovery Act, a stimulus measure Jindal not only opposed, but recently called a failure.

In opposing the Recovery Act, Jindal offered the Republican party’s official response to President Obama’s nationwide address last February. Jindal specifically smeared high-speed rail projects as “wasteful spending”:

JINDAL: While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a “magnetic levitation” line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called “volcano monitoring.”

Despite Jindal’s political grandstanding, officials in his own administration have praised the idea of high-speed rail. “Long term, we see it as a very valuable economic incubator for the entire corridor, ” said Tom Atkinson, an official in the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development.

He was against it before he was for it :lol:

And this is just bullshit:

Though he slams it as a “stimulus that has not stimulated,” Jindal recently went on a 64-parish tour handing out jumbo-sized ceremonial checks filled largely with Recovery Act funds (view a compilation of Jindal’s check giveaways here). Rather than acknowledging the source of the money, Jindal printed his own name on the checks.

Though Jindal has been rapidly spending stimulus money for infrastructure projects around the state, his administration has refused to put up signs disclosing each project has been funded by Recovery Act.
yeah, imagine that, the AP didnt tell the truth
color me not surprised

lol

How did they not tell the truth? Jindal railed against the money and this particular use (pun intended), but he accepted it and his administration plans to go ahead with this project?
but he has said a thing about this yet because it hasnt been submitted to him yet
as was explained in the NOLA.com story
the AP LIED

I saw that on ... discovery? History? one of those geeky channels I watch. Cool stuff :)

Yup High Speed Rail already a proven technology in the good old US of A.

But what we call "high speed rail" compared to other countries is a joke.
not only that, but that assholes claim on the high speed train in the NE corridor, i cant find a single story that says it stands on its own feet and doesnt need government subsidies
thus, even the most well used passenger train service in the country isnt profitable

Last edited:
but he has said a thing about this yet because it hasnt been submitted to him yet
the AP LIED
The AP story IS the one on NOLA.com

Passenger rail is explored to link Baton Rouge, New Orleans - NOLA.com

Where did they lie ?

Is it your contention that Jindal's administration works independent of him? And signs off on projects he doesn't support?

Really?
from THAT link

If Ankner signs off on the plan, it would be submitted to Gov. Bobby Jindal

it hasnt been submitted to Jindal yet
i wasnt aware that both stories were from the AP
now, ONE is lying, the other isnt

and YES people under will often work independently till it requires action by the governor

Last edited:
Yup High Speed Rail already a proven technology in the good old US of A.

not only that, but that assholes claim on the high speed train in the NE corridor, i cant find a single story that says it stands on its own feet and doesnt need government subsidies
thus, even the most well used passenger train service in the country isnt profitable

Er. It's Amtrak.

Amtrak was created by Congress in 1970 to take over the passenger rail services previously required to be operated by private freight railroad companies in the United States. Those companies reported they had operated the services without profit for a decade or more.

National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) is a corporation organized and existing under the Rail Passenger Service Act, 49 U.S.C. Section 24101 et seq. and the laws of the District of Columbia and is charged and authorized to operate intercity passenger rail service in the United States. Amtrak is the sole nationwide passenger rail carrier in the United States.

http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/ARRA/Amtrak-ARRA_Narrative.pdf

It's considered a private corporation, so it doesn't appear in the budget.

If we'd spend the money to upgrade to service like you see in Europe and Japan, you'd see profits.

Er. It's Amtrak.

Amtrak was created by Congress in 1970 to take over the passenger rail services previously required to be operated by private freight railroad companies in the United States. Those companies reported they had operated the services without profit for a decade or more.

National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) is a corporation organized and existing under the Rail Passenger Service Act, 49 U.S.C. Section 24101 et seq. and the laws of the District of Columbia and is charged and authorized to operate intercity passenger rail service in the United States. Amtrak is the sole nationwide passenger rail carrier in the United States.

If we'd spend the money to upgrade to service like you see in Europe and Japan, you'd see profits.
how so?
when even their MOST USED service cant survive without subsidies????

I could care less about the esoterics of the matter. This would be good for Louisiana and New Orleans.

I support it.

Go, Bobby!
then have bobby put it on a bond issue on the ballot and your state pay for it :D

Not my state anymore. Unfortunately.

The project can be justified under a lot of venues, to include reconstruction and public safety in the event that NOLA has to be re-evacuated.

the AP LIED
The AP story IS the one on NOLA.com

Passenger rail is explored to link Baton Rouge, New Orleans - NOLA.com

Where did they lie ?

Is it your contention that Jindal's administration works independent of him? And signs off on projects he doesn't support?

Really?
from THAT link

If Ankner signs off on the plan, it would be submitted to Gov. Bobby Jindal

it hasnt been submitted to Jindal yet
i wasnt aware that both stories were from the AP
now, ONE is lying, the other isnt

and YES people under will often work independently till it requires action by the governor

What other story are you talking about? I went to the links within the story in the OP and that was the only one I saw.

Er. It's Amtrak.

how so?
when even their MOST USED service cant survive without subsidies????

So?

I could care less about the esoterics of the matter. This would be good for Louisiana and New Orleans.

I support it.

Go, Bobby!
then have bobby put it on a bond issue on the ballot and your state pay for it :D

Not my state anymore. Unfortunately.

The project can be justified under a lot of venues, to include reconstruction and public safety in the event that NOLA has to be re-evacuated.
i'm not saying the project wouldnt have uses, but its use is for the state of LA only
IF it was part of a project from NO to say Chicago, then maybe you could make the claim of it being for interstate commerce

Forum List

Back