Zone1 Yes, God does evil...

justaschmuck9

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2022
I read this book once that really mangled my preconceived notions about God and how He operates.. something about Surrendering to the Divine will of God.

He says that God does evil and then quotes some scripture to support that notion.

One I recall is about King David being treated shabbily by a heckler who was following him and his entourage. Someone wanted David to defend himself but the king said something to the effect that it was God's will..

God obviously punished David for his sin in murdering Bathsheba's husband and then taking her as wife.

and the author of that small book (a theologian) gave other examples that I will have to provide later but he made the point that.. say someone strikes you unjustly (not in self defense). That is clearly, objectively a sin but God allowed it to happen. God did not want that person to sin but He uses that injustice to teach you something about.. whatever you need to be taught about... (my words, not his but close)

Anyway.. just thought I would share.. I have often struggled with some of the things the guy says in that book but I can't prove he is making anything up.. and I say he is likely right on.. book was written some 70 years ago..

and I say he is likely right on.. book was written some 70 years ago..
Did the author happen to address the point of God bringing good out of evil?

Genesis 50:20 is one example: Joseph says to his brothers, “You meant evil against me, but God used it for good.”

Volcanic eruptions are a well-known example of a natural disaster ultimately bringing great benefit to the planet.

Did the author happen to address the point of God bringing good out of evil?

Genesis 50:20 is one example: Joseph says to his brothers, “You meant evil against me, but God used it for good.”

Volcanic eruptions are a well-known example of a natural disaster ultimately bringing great benefit to the planet.
I don't recall... Oh, yeh.. I think he did bring up the story of Joseph in Gen 50:20

I will try to bring more examples but I think one problem I myself have with this kind of thing .. Well, first of all, a personal experience:

Years ago... no, actually this happened several times but anyhow, I think of a particular situation in which I got really ticked off at God because I was going through some really rough stuff.. I just let him have it with both barrels, as they say.. I was all alone so it didn't matter how loudly I screamed at Him.. or what I said, and some of it was horrible-sounding.

Well, according to this author, I was totally right-on to do that bc it really was God 1) doing that 2) allowing that.. I was correct to see no difference between those 2.

What is really interesting though is that I eventually fell asleep (still angry as hell) and when I woke up.. very strange thing: I felt closer to God than I had in a LONG time..

Do I understand all that? No... He is mysterious..

What is really interesting though is that I eventually fell asleep (still angry as hell) and when I woke up.. very strange thing: I felt closer to God than I had in a LONG time..

Do I understand all that? No... He is mysterious..
I wonder if it is because God is big on truth. When I was a Catholic School kid, we were taught we were to love God above all else. I made a list of all the people I loved. God was at the bottom. So I began working towards moving Him to the top. I had that list when I moved out on my own. I realized God still was not at the top. I went into church thinking of this. "How can I love you best!?" I ranted. "I don't even know you!" That feeling of closeness you describe, I felt descend on me as well.

I considered it, wondering if it was the relief of telling someone off. I grinned when I realized it couldn't be that--not with all the siblings I had told off over the years. :)

I wonder if it is because God is big on truth. When I was a Catholic School kid, we were taught we were to love God above all else. I made a list of all the people I loved. God was at the bottom. So I began working towards moving Him to the top. I had that list when I moved out on my own. I realized God still was not at the top. I went into church thinking of this. "How can I love you best!?" I ranted. "I don't even know you!" That feeling of closeness you describe, I felt descend on me as well.

I considered it, wondering if it was the relief of telling someone off. I grinned when I realized it couldn't be that--not with all the siblings I had told off over the years. :)
this made me laugh..

I appreciate the honesty and maybe that is what God appreciates above all.. I think God is at the bottom of our Lists of Whom We Love a LOT OF THE TIME! And for the reason you said (to Him). But it's when we refuse to change that that we have a problem.. We get lost, bad things happen and then we.. do what I did above.. scream and holler and.. etc

Thanks.. I like stories like this.. nice to feel I am not alone..

:)

Forum List

Back