Would You Vote for a Mormon?

Would you vote for a Mormon for President?

• Yes

Votes: 49 80.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters
Yeah, actually, they DO murder people over religion.

Please look up "Mountain Meadows Massacre" some time.

Have christians ever murdered people in the name of religion (crusades)?

So.............yeah...........the point being made is just not applicable.

And Like i said all the "anti-mormon" posts are just as bigoted as "anti-muslim" posts.

That was over a thousand years ago, and that was war. Not that I support Christianity, being an atheist and all, but that's how everyone fought wars in the day. You killed everyone or enslaved them.

Mormons, on the other hand, were doing the stupid until fairly recently. Just because they crossed out "Blood Atonement" in the charter and pencil-whipped in "Pancake Breakfasts" doesn't mean I'm going to start trusting them.

Now do you apply this equally to all religions? I dont agree with your opinion here but if you feel the same way about islam due to their even more recent actions then I can at least respect your position, even if I dont agree.

Have christians ever murdered people in the name of religion (crusades)?

So.............yeah...........the point being made is just not applicable.

And Like i said all the "anti-mormon" posts are just as bigoted as "anti-muslim" posts.

That was over a thousand years ago, and that was war. Not that I support Christianity, being an atheist and all, but that's how everyone fought wars in the day. You killed everyone or enslaved them.

Mormons, on the other hand, were doing the stupid until fairly recently. Just because they crossed out "Blood Atonement" in the charter and pencil-whipped in "Pancake Breakfasts" doesn't mean I'm going to start trusting them.

Now do you apply this equally to all religions? I dont agree with your opinion here but if you feel the same way about islam due to their even more recent actions then I can at least respect your position, even if I dont agree.

I have a fairly high level of contempt for ALL religions, including the one I was brought up in, Roman Catholicism. Now, you won't see me on here doing Muslim bashing because, frankly, I don't know enough about Islam to make a detailed criticism. I have studied Mormonism at length. (I also got 12 wonderful years of Catholic Education, and the nightmares are only down to one a month now.)

What I've read of Islam is that it has some decent things in it, some things that are rather intolerant and misogynistic. What bothers me is that they don't clean up their own house of the violent extremists, who probably do more damage to them than the West.

BUt I will admit my contempt for Mormonism is a bit higher, because the FRAUD IS SO FREAKIN' OBVIOUS. Anyone with half a brain can see Joseph Smith was running a con. Maybe like a lot of con man, he started to believe his own bullshit.

I can't say the same about Jesus or Mohammed. I can't say where the line got crossed from guys preaching a moral view to absolute silliness.

Probably not.

Certainly not if I thought that they planned on carrrying out the duties of POTUS using the principles and value systems of the Church of Latter Day Saints.

This is a secular society and I'd like it to stay that way.

Quick! what religion was IKE?

Most of us probably don't know.

That is the kind of POTUS I want.

One who knows that weaing ones religion on one's sleeve isn't what a good head of a secular state does.

I don't want a religiously based POTUS, I want a reality-based POTUS.

Exactly! :clap2:

You two are liberal kooks, most likely atheists too, your vote nor your opinion counts with anyone except other liberal kooks. Go get on that board.:lol:

How much do you think your raving wingnut vote counts?

After the "Rev." Wright issue, I can't help but think we should attend the church of all of our candidates for a check...

I have a fairly high level of contempt for ALL religions, including the one I was brought up in, Roman Catholicism. Now, you won't see me on here doing Muslim bashing because, frankly, I don't know enough about Islam to make a detailed criticism. I have studied Mormonism at length. (I also got 12 wonderful years of Catholic Education, and the nightmares are only down to one a month now.)

What I've read of Islam is that it has some decent things in it, some things that are rather intolerant and misogynistic. What bothers me is that they don't clean up their own house of the violent extremists, who probably do more damage to them than the West.

BUt I will admit my contempt for Mormonism is a bit higher, because the FRAUD IS SO FREAKIN' OBVIOUS. Anyone with half a brain can see Joseph Smith was running a con. Maybe like a lot of con man, he started to believe his own bullshit.

I can't say the same about Jesus or Mohammed. I can't say where the line got crossed from guys preaching a moral view to absolute silliness.

I understand all that, and I think Mormons are weird to. Yes, when I see them peddling down the road on there bikes I will jokingly tell the passenger to throw the door open and clip them. I also find the BLOOD, BLOOD BLOOD, message of Baptist annoying and strange, and Pentecostals are flat psycho as they are presented on TV. The Fraud you speak of is rampant in ALL religions. If you can point to the instances where Romney's has favored the LDS church then post that. Same for reed, Obama or who ever.

We have voted for Catholics, Protestants, christian dissenters, Jews, agnostics, atheists, deists, and so forth. Anyone who would vote against a Mormon because s/he is a Mormon, well, that is just loony.

We have voted for Catholics, Protestants, christian dissenters, Jews, agnostics, atheists, deists, and so forth. Anyone who would vote against a Mormon because s/he is a Mormon, well, that is just loony.

But we'd never vote for -

A Satanist
An Atheist (no atheists in Congress right now. Sorry. Not admitted ones, anyway, even though we are 10% of the population.)
A Jehovah's Witness (who don't buy into the whole "Nation" thing.)
A Scientologist
A Raelian

Whole bunch of weird, loopy cults who we wouldn't vote for, with good reasons.

22% (at least) categorize Mormons in that bunch.

I understand all that, and I think Mormons are weird to. Yes, when I see them peddling down the road on there bikes I will jokingly tell the passenger to throw the door open and clip them. I also find the BLOOD, BLOOD BLOOD, message of Baptist annoying and strange, and Pentecostals are flat psycho as they are presented on TV. The Fraud you speak of is rampant in ALL religions. If you can point to the instances where Romney's has favored the LDS church then post that. Same for reed, Obama or who ever.

I think you misunderstand what I mean about Fraud.

I agree, all those other religions are a bit on the strange side, too. But there wasn't an overt act of Fraud. (and a lot of them will NEVER elect a president, either.) Those religions began because someone within a more "mainstream" religion did his own interpretation of scripture, and came up with a new religion, some of which are pretty flaky.

That is quite a bit different than What Joseph Smith did. Smith made up his own bible. He presented a number of frauds on his followers as he presented things as they clearly weren't.

And seriously, talk to some Mormons some time about why there isn't any evidence of Nephite civilization other than what Smith actually claimed. They do these amazing mental gymnastics that are almost impressive in the area of self-delusion.

And if Romney suffers from similar self-delusions, he's someone who I don't want anywhere near the nukes.

If he's just playing along with the rest of the cultists because that's his base, even though he's smart enough to know it's a load of manure, I still wouldn't want him running the country. It would show a lack of character.

But we'd never vote for -

A Satanist
An Atheist (no atheists in Congress right now. Sorry. Not admitted ones, anyway, even though we are 10% of the population.)
A Jehovah's Witness (who don't buy into the whole "Nation" thing.)
A Scientologist
A Raelian

Whole bunch of weird, loopy cults who we wouldn't vote for, with good reasons.

I am sure folks have voted for all sorts of people who believe all sorts of things, including those of Senator Paul, including those above. You saying no doesn't make it so.

Now the 22% is a fact in that at one time the limits have gone from 32% to 14%, so, yes, Romney has a row to hoe for sure. But I am guessing that most of those who say no are social value conservatives who will have a hard time choosing between Romney and Obama if push comes to shove.

I know a very hardcore Baptist lady who will vote for Obama before Romney.

The only fraud is that of atheists who insist that religious belief is fraudulent when they cannot even mount a good philosophical rejection for deity much less a scientific explanation for there not being a god.

JoeB is the classic example that it takes more faith to be an atheists than a believer in deity.

The only fraud is that of atheists who insist that religious belief is fraudulent when they cannot even mount a good philosophical rejection for deity much less a scientific explanation for there not being a god.

JoeB is the classic example that it takes more faith to be an atheists than a believer in deity.

If atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby.

I don't think most religions are frauds. Just Mormonism. And Scientology. And a few others.

Most are just ignorance and superstition, which is not quite as bad.

I am sure folks have voted for all sorts of people who believe all sorts of things, including those of Senator Paul, including those above. You saying no doesn't make it so.

Now the 22% is a fact in that at one time the limits have gone from 32% to 14%, so, yes, Romney has a row to hoe for sure. But I am guessing that most of those who say no are social value conservatives who will have a hard time choosing between Romney and Obama if push comes to shove.

I know a very hardcore Baptist lady who will vote for Obama before Romney.

I know an atheist who will vote for Obama before Romney.

Actually, the Gallup poll has shown that number has never gone below 17 and never higher than 24%.

If you looked further at the numbers, they run something like this-

18% of Republicans
19% of independents
27% of Democrats.

Now, maybe, just maybe, you can count on bullying the Republicans and Conservatives into supporting the Weird Mormon Robot, but you won't be able to bully the independents. They'll just go with Obama, and if that happens, Romney has no chance of beating Obama. None.

So I have to ask - why risk it? if beating Obama is THAT important to you, why would you risk running a guy who will alienate so many of the people you are counting on to beat him?

I'm an ex-Mormon.

Folks, this is a cult.

So is Islam, and you selected Barry Hussein, asswipe.

What's your fucking point?

This isn't a theocracy. If you don't like that part of the US, move your ass to the Middle East and let me know how that works out for you.

I guess one of the questions here is, does a cult qualify as a religion?

We are allowed to disagree and still be Americans living free within our country.

So is Islam, and you selected Barry Hussein, asswipe.

What's your fucking point?

This isn't a theocracy. If you don't like that part of the US, move your ass to the Middle East and let me know how that works out for you.

I guess one of the questions here is, does a cult qualify as a religion?

We are allowed to disagree and still be Americans living free within our country.

And we are apparently allowed to name call through reps. I digress.

LDS is recognized as a religion. That said, this is a cult with a very heavy patriarchal core. They are known to track down former members and spy on each other and have a very heavy insider/outsider perspective. So, the name of the game is not to talk to outsiders and although they try real hard now to play down the level of racism that was a mainstay of this ideology.

Is this the direction that we want to go? Heavy insider/outsider perspective leads to justification for wars, racism and laws that go back to the stone age. That heavy patriarchal stuff will be all over the erosion of rights. This will have a substantial effect on where public funds are directed and what policy is supported and implemented.

For 30 years I have watched the Religious Right take over the Republican Party. Now, God told both Perry and Bachman to run. These are people that believe that whatever happens to the US is because of whatever "evil" happens in the US and fosters retribution in the form of natural disasters. Now multiply that (motivation by fear) by about 20 and you have the LDS except with the twist of finding a whole new box of fun on gold tablets in New York and people that can give the FBI a run for their money.

Last edited:
We can name call right out here in the open too. Can't refer to relatives though. I guess my cat is safe for the moment. lol

I gathered from your prior post you considered Mormonism a cult. I would agree.

Forum List

Back