Work Until You’re Dead?

Dying on the job? How embarrassing. One place I swore I would never ever ever ever want to die..... on the job. I would rather die doing something like a hobby, not at work. That would have to be the absolute worst place. I saved and I collect my SS to avoid the utter embarrassment of dying on the job.

I worked with a guy who dropped dead of a heart attack in the airport on the way home from a business trip.

Talk about a miserable way of going, ay?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08mNz9f0FQ#t=49]The Naked Gun Leslie Nielsen & OJ Simpson HD - YouTube[/ame]

"A parachute not opening, that's the way to die... getting caught in the gears of a combine... having your nuts bitten off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go"

If you make that chart per capita, it flattens to where we are just now to the 2007 peak again.
And that is fine. My point was there hasn't been some drastic generational drop off in people's ability to spend money to live their lives.

I just don't believe the claim that the standard of living for this or the next generation is worse off, more like each one just takes more luxury items for granted as something everyone has.

Well, we could quibble about the meaning of "drastic" but it gives you enough wriggle room so I let it pass. The fact that you don't seem to be disturbed by 35 years of stagnant or declining real income is disturbing to me. I had a higher opinion of you.

Some basic personal finance skills would go a long way for many of the people who are 60 years old and realize they have no savings.

We're dealing with stagnant wages, increased housing costs, increased health care costs, skyrocketing college tuition costs, high unemployment rates, and whole host of other issues. It's more complicated than tightening one's belt.

Yes, the Obama economy is rather poor, but still you either plan on how to retire one day, or you plan to keep on working. It really is that simple.

Work is good for you anyway. WTF is the point of sitting around like a turd watching the clock tick away your last days?

Poor guy. I envision myself passing on to my creator in a mountain trout stream, #5 fly rod, and a trophy cutthroat tugging on the line. Dying at work? Watching concrete come out the shoot at a jobsite that my business was pouring? How awful. Work is that an no more. A means to an income. Those who make more out of it have lost their way and greed has taken over their lives.

Some basic personal finance skills would go a long way for many of the people who are 60 years old and realize they have no savings.

We're dealing with stagnant wages, increased housing costs, increased health care costs, skyrocketing college tuition costs, high unemployment rates, and whole host of other issues. It's more complicated than tightening one's belt.

Yes, the Obama economy is rather poor, but still you either plan on how to retire one day, or you plan to keep on working. It really is that simple.

Work is good for you anyway. WTF is the point of sitting around like a turd watching the clock tick away your last days?

If nobody retired, these forums would be pretty dull Monday through Friday.

What is the point of not going out and doing the things you most love rather than going to work every day until you die? The latter sounds like shear stupidity. If one has nothing other than work that they like that to do with their time well I truly feel bad for them. I owned my own business. I am retired, happily and don't miss work one iota. I can go see the boys at the shop whenever I want. There comes a time to pass jobs onto the younger generation.

Spoken like someone who has no interests outside of work.

How sad.

Spoken like someone who has no interests outside of work.

How sad.

Some people love what they do. I don't see myself as completely giving up what I do as I still get great satisfaction in it.

If I'm not going to give it up why not get paid for it?

...There has been a drastic generational drop off in people's desire to save money for the future...
Thoughtless baseless words are fun --especially when used to say bad things about Americans that are not true.

In real life the average individual American's net worth is twice that of an average American thirty years ago --after adjusting for inflation. Twice. Times two. An American family of four is twice as rich in inflation adjusted dollars as their parents were in 1983. Here are the numbers for American per capita real net worth once again but in picture form:
fredgraph.png

OK, you might say that the wealth increase is all because of increased earnings and nobody's saving. So what?

One doesn't have to sit around watching the clock if they don't have a workplace they are required to show up for.

I'm planning on retiring near end of this year (I'm in my mid 40s) and can thing of a ton of shit I'd rather be doing during the day than what other people say I have to be doing. I'm going to up my hours at the no-kill animal shelter, take longer walks, go fishing in the mornings when I want instead of just weekends, get better at chess and french, play some of the backlog of video games I can't resist building up from steam sales, a couple hours of reading all the crap I've downloaded to my kindle, take some of the cheapo art classes they offer at the community college, etc. the list is endless.

I don't understand people who think without work to report to they have to just sit there and drool.

I wonder how Kimura can say this. All the things you support like high spending, regulation, deficits, ultra low interests, govt welfareprograms etc. are at the highest of the millenium. Yet things are not good because... there should be even more spending?

Ooh that great gold standard we had, when the government only spent 5% of the gdp, remember how good things were back then? Not very Kimuraish...

Also I think it's a bit of an oxymoron to say you are going to have bad future because you were too austere in the past. But each to their own.

...If you have an alternate source that supports the claim real income has been falling for 35 years I'd love to see it.
fredgraph.png

The original numbers from the Dept. of Commerce are all out there. imho Wikipedia has always left a lot to be desired...

Last edited:
...different scale...
Yeah, I didn't see that at first because somehow they found numbers going back to 1950. The point is still that this story about stagnant/falling wages across generations is nonsense. We've had falling incomes recently but not long term.

your graphs must assume BOTH parents working just to get by :up: the republican way :rofl:

For U.S. Men, 40 Years of Falling Income - The Market Now
In inflation-adjusted dollars, a typical 35-44 year old man earned $54,163 back in 1972. Now a man of that age earns $45,224, or 17 percent less. For the 25-34 age bracket, the loss is even greater. You often hear of income having stayed “flat” for many years. On the household level, that’s true. Women’s incomes have increased (a good thing), and many more women have entered the workforce. That’s made up for the drop in men’s incomes, and the median household income has risen a little since 1972.

The bottom line is that as two-income families have replaced single-earner ones, the median family has barely moved forward. And the single-earner family has fallen behind. Political speechwriters like to pull out the trope of asking whether our children will do better than us. When it comes to the folks who reached adulthood forty years ago, it’s not really a question anymore. We have the answer: their sons (though, fortunately, not their daughters) are working just as hard or harder for less money.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back