Should "work until you are dead" be the national policy?

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

Noted podcaster and conservative thought leader Ben Shapiro said on his show Tuesday, “It's insane that we haven't raised the retirement age in the United States.”

He continued: “No one in the United States should be retiring at 65 years old. Frankly, I think retirement itself is a stupid idea unless you have some sort of health problem. Everybody that I know who is elderly, who has retired, is dead within five years.”

So, what do you all think, should everyone work until they are dead and just give up this silly idea of retiring?

Noted podcaster and conservative thought leader Ben Shapiro said on his show Tuesday, “It's insane that we haven't raised the retirement age in the United States.”

He continued: “No one in the United States should be retiring at 65 years old. Frankly, I think retirement itself is a stupid idea unless you have some sort of health problem. Everybody that I know who is elderly, who has retired, is dead within five years.”

So, what do you all think, should everyone work until they are dead and just give up this silly idea of retiring?
That's the inevitable reality...

i have been retired for 11 years.....ben shapiro is full of shit.....

That's the inevitable reality...

Damn, must suck to be you, I will be retired in 5 years right on my 65th birthday, would do it sooner but makes no sense for me to retire till my wife does, and she will do so at the ripe old age of 62

i have been retired for 11 years.....ben shapiro is full of shit.....
I'm not behind you by much.

Staying married to the same woman and living a modest lifestyle helped if I look at those of my peers that have not yet retired.

You don't get to retire early when you have to give half your shit away and pay child support in your prime earning years.....Sometimes twice. ;)

I'm not behind you by much.

Staying married to the same woman and living a modest lifestyle helped if I look at those of my peers that have not yet retired.

You don't get to retire early when you have to give half your shit away and pay child support in your prime earning years.....Sometimes twice. ;)
every guy i know who retired when i did is still alive and doing ok...that would be at least 4-5 guys....ben shapiro ate up some stupid story that was circulating 10 years ago....

A lot of people are millionaires, many more are multimillionaires... others have inherited fortunes, so they do not live nor see life from the working person's point of view. They have no need to ever get a life insurance policy nor will they ever need any retirement funds.

However, they always have something to say about how a poorer person should live like they do. When they need to just keep quiet, mind their business, and live rich in that little bubble of theirs.

Last edited:
Ben Shapiro is an idiot at times.

Physically demanding work breaks down the body. Most people in things like construction, police, delivery, or truck driving have to retire early.
It's not an option when arthritis or some other degenerative bone disease gets to them. Just the nature of the game.

Office jobs....whole other thing. Sure....they can work until 70's if they want to.

And when people get into their 50's....training for a new career is not really possible or advisable.

I think people need to be told what the options are, and then make a choice about. Do they want immigrants or do they want to work to 80?

I think people need to be told what the options are, and then make a choice about. Do they want immigrants or do they want to work to 80?
It doesn't have to be either/or....the options are not so polar. There are many ways to fix things. But with the current political climate....not gonna happen.

It doesn't have to be either/or....the options are not so polar. There are many ways to fix things. But with the current political climate....not gonna happen.

Such as?

I mean, if we get robots or AI working doing many of the jobs then it's possible people won't have to work at all... until then...

Forum List

Back