Should "work until you are dead" be the national policy?

Noted podcaster and conservative thought leader Ben Shapiro said on his show Tuesday, “It's insane that we haven't raised the retirement age in the United States.”

He continued: “No one in the United States should be retiring at 65 years old. Frankly, I think retirement itself is a stupid idea unless you have some sort of health problem. Everybody that I know who is elderly, who has retired, is dead within five years.”

So, what do you all think, should everyone work until they are dead and just give up this silly idea of retiring?
Not if one actually HAS some money.

Noted podcaster and conservative thought leader Ben Shapiro said on his show Tuesday, “It's insane that we haven't raised the retirement age in the United States.”

He continued: “No one in the United States should be retiring at 65 years old. Frankly, I think retirement itself is a stupid idea unless you have some sort of health problem. Everybody that I know who is elderly, who has retired, is dead within five years.”

So, what do you all think, should everyone work until they are dead and just give up this silly idea of retiring?
Self entitled assholes like Shapiro want the "little people" to work till they drop & slave for cheeedicks like him as they sit on their asses in their ivory towers.

Most people think about this issue backwards. The question for consideration is NOT "Is there any reason to retire?" The correct question is, "Is there any reason why I need to keep working?" If not, retire, and give the job up for someone who really needs it.

Shapiro was totally wrong on this. I'm sure many people told him about it.

You should give up the silly idea that raising the retirement age = work until you are dead.

We should all give up the silly idea of setting a retirement age expected to be a fit for everyone.

There should have been a poll attached to this to see the consensus of this idea between the employed and self employed. I would imagine the self employed would be more accepting of Ben's idea, imo.

I retired 13 years ago and am still doing fine. Everyone's different and I think that if you've worked for decades and can afford to retire, retire, unless you don't want to.
I'm in year 5 of my retirement and I enjoy every unscheduled day. As you say everyone is different, I know my wife will be climbing the walls and probably driving me nuts when she retires next year! Oh boy. :rolleyes:

I retired just before I was 60 and now am a couple of months away from being 78. I haven’t worked for pay one day since I retired.

I didn’t retire early and die within five years.

I read your words in the OP, and your title. it certainly seemed that you agreed with the idea that raising the retirement age = work until you are dead.

If I was mistaken, I withdraw my comment.

did you somehow miss this from my OP....“Frankly, I think retirement itself is a stupid idea unless you have some sort of health problem. Everybody that I know who is elderly, who has retired, is dead within five years.”

did you somehow miss this from my OP....“Frankly, I think retirement itself is a stupid idea unless you have some sort of health problem. Everybody that I know who is elderly, who has retired, is dead within five years.”
Dude, I offerred to withdraw my comments if I was mistaken. You have turned into the epitome of the grumpy old fart.

In a post about raising the retirement age, you said in your title:

Should "work until you are dead" be the national policy?​

In your post, you said:

The quote above in your OP is not you stating your opinion, it is you quoting Ben Shapiro.

Having g people work past 62 is called using them up....for what? So some people can brag about how he or she used up the workers.

I turn 50 this summer. Despite having a pension, I do not have any expectations that I will ever retire. If nothing else, I’ll need the health insurance.

Having g people work past 62 is called using them up....for what? So some people can brag about how he or she used up the workers.
Some people do not want to retire. Heck, my uncle's father still runs heavy equipment (and turns down more work than he takes, because he is VERY good) in his 80s.

Forum List

Back