CDZ Why don't motorcycles come equipped with crash bags or air bags ?

I've ridden motorcycles since the late 1970's.

The primary reason you don't see air bags on a bike is that the rider is not strapped to the motorcycle. In a crash, the bike goes one way and the rider goes another. An airbag would serve no purpose...
Exactly. I got my first motorcycle when I was 12. Fifteen motorcycles later I rode for over 50 years. I retired from Harley Davidson as a Master Tech. I had two crashes and walked away from both of them, although had I not been wearing a helmet, I'd probably be dead from brain swelling.

Far as an airbag on a motorcycle goes, that has to be one of the most moronic ideas I've ever heard. Obviously this person knows nothing about motorcycles, NOTHING, probably has never even sat on one, maybe has never even touched one. That's the problem we have with too many things today. Geniuses like the OP thinking up utterly absurd ideas for things they know nothing about.

The only way air bags would save a motorcyclist in an accident is if he wore a suit that would instantly turn him into the Michelin man. So no, air bags wouldn't work.
I've always visualized the same device. It would mean wearing a bodysuit and helmet with a tether that inflated it instantly if you began leaving the seat during a crash. It would be funny as hell to watch it deploy... from a distance :auiqs.jpg:

Some push the limits further than others.

Casey%20Stoner-L.jpg

Couldn't it be mounted in the center of the handle bars, and then on both sides on what is called the highway bars ?

Seems it would save the riders life if there was some kind of safety device like that installed.

There is no need to install an airbag system on a motorcycle, when the rider can wear an airbag vest instead.

Exactly. I got my first motorcycle when I was 12. Fifteen motorcycles later I rode for over 50 years. I retired from Harley Davidson as a Master Tech. I had two crashes and walked away from both of them, although had I not been wearing a helmet, I'd probably be dead from brain swelling.

Far as an airbag on a motorcycle goes, that has to be one of the most moronic ideas I've ever heard. Obviously this person knows nothing about motorcycles, NOTHING, probably has never even sat on one, maybe has never even touched one. That's the problem we have with too many things today. Geniuses like the OP thinking up utterly absurd ideas for things they know nothing about.
Well tell me why it's a bad idea ?

I bet you were one of them feller's that hated the faring's with the windshield when they first came out. Actually it could be placed into the faring if the bike had one as a safety option. Mostly it would operate in a collision situation in order to stop the rider from going straight into a vehicle, wall, bridge girder, tree, or anything that would cause the rider to be ejected straight through the handle bars or over them if collided with such objects. Would be mounted right in the middle of the bars, and would deploy straight up in order to hopefully give the rider a fighting chance.

Well tell me why it's a bad idea ?

I bet you were one of them feller's that hated the faring's with the windshield when they first came out. Actually it could be placed into the faring if the bike had one as a safety option. Mostly it would operate in a collision situation in order to stop the rider from going straight into a vehicle, wall, bridge girder, tree, or anything that would cause the rider to be ejected straight through the handle bars or over them if collided with such objects. Would be mounted right in the middle of the bars, and would deploy straight up in order to hopefully give the rider a fighting chance.
If you need to be told why it's a bad idea, then you don't have the comprehension to understand why it's a bad idea even if told.

Pretty obvious you have never even sat on a motorcycle in your life.

Honda Goldwings have had them since 2007.

That was cool.... At least it gives some help when it comes to hitting a stationary object, even if the bike doesn't have much in the front before the rider is thrown forward by the momentum of the crash. Any help is good in such a situation. Still dangerous to ride, but I guess my old age is talking. When young I felt invincible. lol

If you need to be told why it's a bad idea, then you don't have the comprehension to understand why it's a bad idea even if told.

Pretty obvious you have never even sat on a motorcycle in your life.
Well you are wrong, I just got old and more safety minded I guess. Looks like Honda beat us to the punch. Gold wing's have them it appears. Of course you are an old die hard Harley Davidson guy, so it is to be expected of you to ride bare minimum.

The vast majority of motorcycle crashes are due to drivers in cars or trucks. Numerous studies have shown that most drivers do not "see" a motorcycle because they are looking for a car or truck.

The only circumstance where the rice burners airbag could be of any imaginable use would be a dead on straight crash. That's almost impossible since the rider will instinctively turn to avoid impact.

Then there stupid riders who are usually young, inexperienced, and are trying to handle way more power than their skill level. I can't see airbags on a crotch rocket.

Few Goldwings are in crashes compared to lighter bikes. Most are ridden by very cautious, middle age riders. One like the one pictured will go for $40,000 up plus limitless accessories. Not something you'd screw around on. More are probably crashed from behind, frequently at stop lights.

Maybe work on solving a problem where we need a solution instead of a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Twenty-two states have mandatory helmet laws.

Twenty-six have age requirement helmet laws, essentially anyone over 18 in some states, 21 in others need not wear one. (Though there are a couple that require you have medical insurance to cover injury from riding sans helmet, they can't pull you over to verify your insurance.)

Two have no helmet laws whatsoever.

Every state has mandatory seat belt laws, save New Hampshire (LIVE FREE OR DIE!) where the requirement is for 17 and under only.

Until helmets are mandatory, just like seat belts, we probable don't need to worry about a second source of safety for riders.

Couldn't it be mounted in the center of the handle bars, and then on both sides on what is called the highway bars ?

Seems it would save the riders life if there was some kind of safety device like that installed.
So an airbag that punches a rider right off the motorcycle is a good thing?

Honda Goldwings have had them since 2007.

It's also the only production bike that has it.

Why?

Because they're not a good idea.

When you're in a car, and you rear-end someone doing 40mph, an air bag will safe your life. It'll actually push you back into the seat. It'll help contain you. Maybe you don't realize just how violent an instananeous stop can be from 40mph, but that instant stop throwing you forward, combined with the force of the bag expanding back towards you, is going to launch you off the bike. At that point, the fact that your motorcycle had an airbag is completely meaningless. You'll be mid-glide thinking "Damn, I really wish I was on the ground right now."

I promise you, the pain from road rash is going to be far less severe than any injury you're going to suffer when you land after sailing through the air for 30 feet...

Of course you are an old die hard Harley Davidson guy, so it is to be expected of you to ride bare minimum.

Are you suggesting that Harley riders aren't safety conscious?

Because you'd be wrong.

I own six Harleys (two are show bikes), and none of them get past the end of my driveway if I don't have a helmet on. When we first got together (eons ago), my smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend didn't want to wear a helmet. I told her that was fine, but that she'd never get on the back of my bike until she did.

So, you know, I'm fabulous, so she now wears a helmet.

During the winter months, I'll wear my leather jacket and, if it's really cold, I'll even wear chaps. Yeah, I expect some Village People jokes, but those things will save your legs when it's cold out. I don't ever ride without gloves and steel-toed boots. During the warmer months I'll wear a leather vest instead of the leather jacket.

There are exceptions, but the vast majority of the folks I ride with are very safety conscious. Those who are members of MC's are the ones who tend to not ride in the safest of manners. My favorite watering hole is popular with a well known 1%er MC. They recently buried two of their brothers who decided they were going to race. They were drunk, and one guy veered over into the other. They both lost control, crashed and were killed. Neither was wearing anything that you'd really consider "safety gear".

Don't assume that, because we ride Harleys that we throw caution to the wind. I can assure you, that's not nearly accurate...

Last edited:
Air bags do not protect you from road rash...and most minor injuries from motorcycle accidents involve road rash or head injuries from not wearing a helmet with a face shield.

That bug that splatters on the windshield will do the same thing on your face, eyes, legs and arms...it hurts a lot. The bigger the bug the more pain.

Helmets, chaps, gloves, and a sturdy leather jacket help prevent most injuries. Airbags aren't needed.

But this is the first I've heard about putting an air bag on a garbage can...why not? they got everything else...they can install it next to the Expresso machine.

Forum List

Back