CDZ Why don't motorcycles come equipped with crash bags or air bags ?

Motorcycle riders, like skydivers, are not risk averse people. They voluntarily subject themselves to a risk of serious injury or death that is about ten times greater than they would experience if riding in a car. The idea of adding the cost and weight of an airbag, as well as the unsightliness of it, are prohibitive. As mentioned above, the Goldwing has had airbags available for quite a while, but competitors have not followed that lead and there is no outcry among touring-bike owners.

An airbag can protect the rider in a specific type of collision, at a specific angle of impact. For all other collisions (i.e., the majority of collisions) the airbag would be worthless and probably not deploy anyway.

Mature motorcyclists ride a way that is near-to paranoia, but they still are vulnerable to smartphone-using and other oblivious drivers in surrounding cars. I always assume that every other driver on the road is "out to get me," so I avoid many of the potential collisions that immature motorcyclists suffer.

A large percentage of motorcycle fatalities are the simply result of a motorcyclist doing stupid shit...going too fast around a bend, passing a car on the left side of the road, or overlooking a road hazard like sand or gravel on the pavement. I read closely every single news report of a motorcycle accident, and I only see one or two a year that were not avoidable by the rider, if he were being careful.

Airbags? Bah, Humbug!

The vast majority of motorcycle crashes are due to drivers in cars or trucks. Numerous studies have shown that most drivers do not "see" a motorcycle because they are looking for a car or truck.

The only circumstance where the rice burners airbag could be of any imaginable use would be a dead on straight crash. That's almost impossible since the rider will instinctively turn to avoid impact.

Then there stupid riders who are usually young, inexperienced, and are trying to handle way more power than their skill level. I can't see airbags on a crotch rocket.

Few Goldwings are in crashes compared to lighter bikes. Most are ridden by very cautious, middle age riders. One like the one pictured will go for $40,000 up plus limitless accessories. Not something you'd screw around on. More are probably crashed from behind, frequently at stop lights.

Maybe work on solving a problem where we need a solution instead of a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Just sayin'.
Can't see having crash protection on a rice burner ? You might have just explained why there needs to be better crash protection on a rice burner, otherwise because that's what is crashing the most. True they might lay it down to avoid an object, but if meeting the object head on or if were to T-bone the object or even hit something while laying it down, the deployment of a bag might stop a fatal injury from occuring. The technology could be refined over time, just like we have done with all sorts of new technology over the years. I agree with your profiles of the various riders riding various model's. Thanks

Motorcycle riders, like skydivers, are not risk averse people. They voluntarily subject themselves to a risk of serious injury or death that is about ten times greater than they would experience if riding in a car. The idea of adding the cost and weight of an airbag, as well as the unsightliness of it, are prohibitive. As mentioned above, the Goldwing has had airbags available for quite a while, but competitors have not followed that lead and there is no outcry among touring-bike owners.

An airbag can protect the rider in a specific type of collision, at a specific angle of impact. For all other collisions (i.e., the majority of collisions) the airbag would be worthless and probably not deploy anyway.

Mature motorcyclists ride a way that is near-to paranoia, but they still are vulnerable to smartphone-using and other oblivious drivers in surrounding cars. I always assume that every other driver on the road is "out to get me," so I avoid many of the potential collisions that immature motorcyclists suffer.

A large percentage of motorcycle fatalities are the simply result of a motorcyclist doing stupid shit...going too fast around a bend, passing a car on the left side of the road, or overlooking a road hazard like sand or gravel on the pavement. I read closely every single news report of a motorcycle accident, and I only see one or two a year that were not avoidable by the rider, if he were being careful.

Airbags? Bah, Humbug!
Thanks.... I know people who have been killed colliding with deer's jumping out in front of them. Then you have the various collisions that are unexpected in which it seems more could be done.

Heck they can take and shrink down technology to sizes that can be hidden away in which still preserves the look and performance of the machinery. I know motorcyclist don't have the best reps, but sometimes you can't help but think what if when thinking back about how a friend or family member may have been killed due to certain situations, and the equipment involved. Thanks

That was cool.... At least it gives some help when it comes to hitting a stationary object, even if the bike doesn't have much in the front before the rider is thrown forward by the momentum of the crash. Any help is good in such a situation. Still dangerous to ride, but I guess my old age is talking. When young I felt invincible. lol
I have been riding since I was 14--56 years ago and I still ride a 99 Goldwing (I have put 70K miles on this one and I've had two others) and a 14 Yamaha 200. I don't know if an airbag would be effective or not. I have been in a few crashes but have always walked away unscratched--the motorcycles not so much. I also am a proponent of helmet CHOICE. I was surprised when Honda added airbags.

Last edited:
I have been riding since I was 14--56 years ago and I still ride a 99 Goldwing (I have put 70K miles on this one and I've had two others) and a 14 Yamaha 200. I don't know if an airbag would be effective or not. I have been in a few crashes but have always walked away unscratched--the motorcycles not so much. I also am a proponent of helmet CHOICE. I was surprised when Honda added airbags.
Yeah I was surprised also. Would be interesting to here some testimony as to whether or not they actually helped a rider if were deployed for some reason.

Because they're not a good idea.
Thank you very much Mr. Not A Motorcycle Engineer. You certainly think highly of yourself. The best protection on a motorcycle is an attentive rider who mitigates his risk. I've ridden for 56 years and about 150K miles without an injury. I will never say that something that is designed to save lives is not a good idea. Different strokes. I don't see a problem with air bags--you don't see a problem with an ineffective non-vaccination. Meh.

Yeah I was surprised also. Would be interesting to here some testimony as to whether or not they actually helped a rider if were deployed for some reason.
After a quick internet search, the overwhelming response to airbags was positive. I also learned that many riders are opting for "airbag vests" Hadn't heard of these before. They also seem to be received positively.

After a quick internet search, the overwhelming response to airbags was positive. I also learned that many riders are opting for "airbag vests" Hadn't heard of these before. They also seem to be received positively.
Interesting... Thanks

Of course they are, because they offer you protection after you leave the motorcycle when you crash it. An airbag deployed from between the handlebars doesn't.

I would also suggest that if you haven't heard of those vests before, you're probably not the biker you claim to be. They've been out for years and are quite popular...

Couldn't it be mounted in the center of the handle bars, and then on both sides on what is called the highway bars ?

Seems it would save the riders life if there was some kind of safety device like that installed.

Better yet......people on motorcycles should wear safety vests.....instead of just ninja black leather.....that would be an easier way to see them.....you know how they always say "Start Seeing Motorcycles," then wear the hardest to see clothing they can find....also? A strobe on the front and rear of the motorcycle, either a red light or white light would help a lot too......it would catch the eye...

Why don't school buses have seat belts?

1) because school buses are incredibly safe......

2) Imagine you have to evacuate a bus, you are stuck on rail road tracks, the engine is on fire, or there is a tornado approaching...you now have a up to 70 kids, sometimes kinder gardeners who would be expected to know how to unlock their seat belts as they panic......the driver would have to try to unclip those belts as he is trying to direct the rest of the students to safety....

That's why....

You know, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm attacking you. Are you on your period? Maybe you're having a heavy flow day.

Air bags are a good idea... in cars. They're not a good idea for motorcycles. Just as I would never think of driving my car without wearing my seat belt, I would never want to have to strap myself to my motorcycle. But, using your logic, you would be a hypocrite if you don't.

One motorcycle manufacturer decides to offer it on one motorcycle. That, alone, should tell you it may not be a good idea...
You do you and I'll do me. I really don't care what your opinion is. It is like a backside, everyone has one--some just smell worse than others. A simple internet search will show you that air bags on motorcycles have been well received by those who have used them. Indeed, air bag vests are being introduced to the general public and not just to professional racers. Once again you've run your mouth about something that you have nothing but unsubstantiated opinion to support. Meh.

Are you suggesting a motorcycle should pass an automobile on the right hand side?
If you pass a car on the right side in Australia, England, Japan, New Zealand or South Africa you are going to find yourself in trouble, moron. Would passing on the side of oncoming traffic be more to your short-sighted liking?

Couldn't it be mounted in the center of the handle bars, and then on both sides on what is called the highway bars ?

Seems it would save the riders life if there was some kind of safety device like that installed.
Because you should let go of your bike, if you are in an accident. Not that you will have much choice anyway, in a high speed collision. Nobody is that strong. Let go, tuck and roll, let the armor and helmet do the rest.

Even at slower speeds (30, 35), you should let go. Taking a tumble while tucked up in a ball is almost certai ly going to injure you less than sliding down the road on your side with a 600-pound, red hot motorcycle between your legs.

Many riders sustain severe foot and leg injuries trying to keep their bikes upright or trying to stay on their bikes. For example, a severe twisting Injury of your foot probably means 'curtains' for the foot.

Last edited:
You do you and I'll do me. I really don't care what your opinion is. It is like a backside, everyone has one--some just smell worse than others. A simple internet search will show you that air bags on motorcycles have been well received by those who have used them. Indeed, air bag vests are being introduced to the general public and not just to professional racers. Once again you've run your mouth about something that you have nothing but unsubstantiated opinion to support. Meh.

Wow, I tried to mitigate your apparent old-man anger, and you double down on it.

Okay then.

Of all the Honda Gold Wing motorcycles equipped with airbags, how many have been involved in accidents which resulted in the airbag actually deploying? Personally, I've never heard of one.

It's important to note that the air bag vests (which are not only now being introduced) are most effective for crashes under 30mph. The shortcomings above 30mph are well documented. I'm not suggesting that the vests are a bad idea (and it's a far superior idea than motorcycle airbags), just that it's important that riders don't rely on them as an absolute life saver, because they are anything but. It's also important to note that the areas of the body most commonly injured the worst are the legs and the head. An airbag vest protects neither.

I know you want to appear as though you're up on the topic, but you're not. You're coming across with a profound ignorance...

Wouldn't have helped me. I got hit from behind by a car going 55 miles per hour while I was stopped to make a left turn. Her airbags probably saved her, though, because me and my 700 pound bike completely caved in the front of her car.

Basically, riders need to swallow their pride when riding in traffic and be willing to slow waaaaaay down, whe they see a car that MIGHT pull out in front of them. This is easily the cause of most motorcycle accidents.

I will ALWAYS slow down, in these cases. If I am not sure what the other driver is doing, I will slow down to 20 mph and make absolutely sure I am not about to become a projectile.

Save your high speed riding for country roads and interstates

When is the last time any of you "thought" about pushing your brake pedal or gas pedal? This becomes automatic, for the most part. Muscle memory, an unconscious part of driving.

Our brains and bodies are also trained by years of watching cars travel toward and away from us. We don't put much thought into it. We judge distance and speed virtually unconsciously.

Well, motorcycles are smaller than cars. When you see a motorcycle, it defies your unconscious training on speed and distance. It fools your mind into thinking it is both further away and traveling more slowly than it is.

Even the most experienced drivers can't get around this, other than exercising a conscious effort to do so.

Riders needto make their own, conscious effort to understand this limitation of the human mind and to practice best safety practices.

Last edited:
I've spent a lot of money on my motorcycles. I'm in no hurry to fuck them up. If I was, I would ride in the manners suggested by Concerned American, as he clearly knows nothing regarding the safe operation of a motorcycle (ie: passing a car on the right)...
And timing green lights at full speed. And not knowing the basics, like separating your swerving and braking. And following too closely, so that you can't see road hazards until it is too late to avoid them.

Forum List

Back