Why Doesn't Everybody Play a Musical Instrument ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
What an awesome thing music is. It's 3 basic elements Rhythm, Melody, and Harmony combine together to really stir our inner emotions. It is played in a wide variety of genres. People can pick which musical genre they like the most, and listen to it endlessly.

Some people have developed a keen awareness about their favorite type of music. They know a lot about it and can talk about it. But why limit yourselves to that ? Why not choose a musical instrument that is to your liking, buy yourself one, and learn how to play it ? I'm a music teacher and I get a lot if satisfaction out of transforming my students from non-players to players.

I get an absolute thrill when I see my students eyes light up, when they suddenly realize they have gotten to learn their instrument, and can play at least one song or tune on it. After learning that first song, they then have the confidence that they can learn to play just about ANY song/tune, And they're then well on the way to becoming a musician.

As human beings, we have the gift of being able to play music. Had we all been born a dog, a cat, an ape, a horse, etc, we would not have this capability. It seems a shame to go through a whole life never taking advantage of this ability. I think people who don't play an instrument, have no idea what they are missing.

Instruments are cheap at the starter level, and easy to obtain. They also make a marvelous Christmas gift. I bought my sister a mandolin for her birthday a couple of months ago. Hopefully, she'll learn to play it. If not, it'll become the most beautiful wall decoration she ever had. Yes, it does take some effort to learn to play (any instrument), but it is actually a fun type of work, and it becomes easier and easier with the more you learn, and the better you get at playing your instrument.
1607242500893.png
:biggrin:

??

Whats that got to do with playing a musical instrument? Sorry...maybe I missed something.

Which means I need to go to bed. Too many typos now..and a bit of confusion. And I'e been blathering too. I'lll pop back in in a few hours as usual. I'll go to bed listening to ....well there is my answer to your comment!...white noise. Wind howling in the trees while it rains. Nodding off now just thinking about it.

:sleep:

Because there are right and left-brained people. Generally, left-brained people are artistic, good musicians. Right-brained folks are more analytical, adept at math, and data.

You love playing an instrument and it comes easy to you. I love MUSIC, but I also LOVE studying mathematics. Outside of my major, I took several pure maths courses in college because I loved it.

One isn't right or wrong, they're just different. Of course, there is overlap. For instance, music depends heavily on math.

Technically solid musicians, depend more on their right-brain. Solid left-brained musicians are the Jazz players.

Last edited:
I play guitar. I love getting down and dirty and playing some Metallica and Pantara! But I also like playing the classic rock like Zep and Black Sabbath.

Because there are right and left-brained people. Generally, left-brained people are artistic, good musicians. Right-brained folks are more analytical, adept at math, and data.

You love playing an instrument and it comes easy to you. I love MUSIC, but I also LOVE studying mathematics. Outside of my major, I took several pure maths courses in college because I loved it.

One isn't right or wrong, they're just different. Of course, there is overlap. For instance, music depends heavily on math.

Technically solid musicians, depend more on their right-brain. Solid left-brained musicians are the Jazz players.

Funny you should mention that. I am left handed but when I was a kid my parents didn't know any better and got me a right handed guitar. So I actually play the guitar right hand even though I am left handed.lol! I wonder what the difference would have been if I would have learned left handed?

Funny you should mention that. I am left handed but when I was a kid my parents didn't know any better and got me a right handed guitar. So I actually play the guitar right hand even though I am left handed.lol! I wonder what the difference would have been if I would have learned left handed?

Interesting thought. I'm an old-codger, 76. Back in my day, kids were nearly beaten into submission to use their right hand.

I don't know but at the time, maybe a left-handed guitar wasn't very common.

Interesting thought. I'm an old-codger, 76. Back in my day, kids were nearly beaten into submission to use their right hand.

I can only think of Jimi Hendrix and he turned a right handed guitar upside down to play it left handed. I didn't think of that as a kid.lol!

I can only think of Jimi Hendrix and he turned a right handed guitar upside down to play it left handed. I didn't think of that as a kid.lol!

I know, I'm so old, I was managing a Woolworths store when "Are You Experienced" came out. I put that record on to play side one, over and over. Those albums were just about walking out the door. People were asking what it was so often that I made a sign to put next to the cases of albums I had ordered.

He seemed to do okay playing a right-handed guitar. He never went anywhere, anywhere without it. His security blanket. All he wanted to do was play the guitar. I've no dought he'd have lived to a ripe old age if they had just let him do nothing but play the guitar.

Good thing he taught himself, a music teacher probably would have gone crazy trying to change him. The guitar wasn't upside down to him either! :D

I know, I'm so old, I was managing a Woolworths store when "Are You Experienced" came out. I put that record on to play side one, over and over. Those albums were just about walking out the door. People were asking what it was so often that I made a sign to put next to the cases of albums I had ordered.

He seemed to do okay playing a right-handed guitar. He never went anywhere, anywhere without it. His security blanket. All he wanted to do was play the guitar. I've no dought he'd have lived to a ripe old age if they had just let him do nothing but play the guitar.

Good thing he taught himself, a music teacher probably would have gone crazy trying to change him. The guitar wasn't upside down to him either! :D

Great story. I would say the best guitar players are the ones that teach themselves.

Dad got me started on the Blues Harp. I can play a little. But mostly I have no talent or ability at music. But I still play the Blues Harp for my own pleasure. My father , mother and brother have all the musical ability.

I tried playing music when I was young. Took piano, tried guitar, and was even in the band (baritone horn). I love music. But playing it was not for me.

I wanted to learn. At best, it sounded mechanical.
You might give it another try. The guitar is a great instrument. Not as great as the violin, but still terrific in its own way. Learning can be a clumsy thing, although taking lessons helps to smooth it out a lot.

I can just about guarantee if I gave you lessons, you'd be playing the guitar quite proficiently, and where it sounds musical, not mechanical, just with one month. I also provide my students a chart (in 4 colors) of each song/tune's notes - where on the guitar and when to play them. That way if you forget the song later on, you can go back to the chart, and pick back up on it, without much trouble.

If you really still want to learn, I'll give you a FREE LESSON online.

Here are some songs I teach > Purple Haze, Crossroads, Norweigen Wood , 19th Nervous Breakdown, Down By the River, and a BB King blues number I learned by ear once (never bothered to find out the name). In addition to the classic rock, I also teach fingerpicking country blues, like songs by Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, and Patrick Sky.

1607291455448.png
1607291541728.png

1607291965770.png
1607292452634.png
1607292952133.png

Some people either don't have that "thing" that makes them musical or, and I think this is probably the case far more often, they just don't have the interest. My hot Puerto Rican girlfriend loves to hear me play my guitar or piano, but she has exactly zero interest in learning to do it herself...

I wanted to learn. At best, it sounded mechanical.
You might give it another try. The guitar is a great instrument. Not as great as the violin, but still terrific in its own way. Learning can be a clumsy thing, although taking lessons helps to smooth it out a lot.

I can just about guarantee if I gave you lessons, you'd be playing the guitar quite proficiently, and where it sounds musical, not mechanical, just with one month. I also provide my students a chart (in 4 colors) of each song/tune's notes - where on the guitar and when to play them. That way if you forget the song later on, you can go back to the chart, and pick back up on it, without much trouble.

If you really still want to learn, I'll give you a FREE LESSON online.

Here are some songs I teach > Purple Haze, Crossroads, Norweigen Wood , 19th Nervous Breakdown, Down By the River, and a BB King blues number I learned by ear once (never bothered to find out the name). In addition to the classic rock, I also teach fingerpicking country blues, like songs by Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, and Patrick Sky.

View attachment 425896 View attachment 425897

View attachment 425900 View attachment 425911 View attachment 425923

I appreciate the offer. But I found my artistic outlet many years ago.

Plus, every musician needs fans listening. Otherwise it is just practice. I can't wait till we get back to having live music.

I appreciate the offer. But I found my artistic outlet many years ago.

Plus, every musician needs fans listening. Otherwise it is just practice. I can't wait till we get back to having live music.
"live music" where ?

Forum List

Back