Song lyrics getting simpler, more repetitive, angry and self-obsessed – study.

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
You’re not just getting older. Song lyrics really are becoming simpler and more repetitive, according to a study published on Thursday.

Lyrics have also become angrier and more self-obsessed over the last 40 years, the study found, reinforcing the opinions of cranky ageing music fans everywhere.

A team of European researchers analysed the words in more than 12,000 English-language songs across the genres of rap, country, pop, R&B and rock from 1980 to 2020.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...science-prize-aaas-dance-your-phd-competition
Before detailing how lyrics have become more basic, the study pointed out that US singer-songwriting legend Bob Dylan – who rose to fame in the 1960s – has won a Nobel prize in literature.

Senior study author Eva Zangerle, an expert on recommendation systems at Austria’s University of Innsbruck, declined to single out an individual newer artist for having simple lyrics.

You’re not just getting older. Song lyrics really are becoming simpler and more repetitive, according to a study published on Thursday.

Lyrics have also become angrier and more self-obsessed over the last 40 years, the study found, reinforcing the opinions of cranky ageing music fans everywhere.

A team of European researchers analysed the words in more than 12,000 English-language songs across the genres of rap, country, pop, R&B and rock from 1980 to 2020.

âJoyful madnessâ: ANU scientist wins global prize for âdancing his PhDâ about kangaroos
Before detailing how lyrics have become more basic, the study pointed out that US singer-songwriting legend Bob Dylan – who rose to fame in the 1960s – has won a Nobel prize in literature.

Senior study author Eva Zangerle, an expert on recommendation systems at Austria’s University of Innsbruck, declined to single out an individual newer artist for having simple lyrics.

Luckily, my students really love music from what I call the "Golden Age of Songwriting"--the late 60s/70s. We listen to all kinds of music but they really dig this.

Well, they have taste

âJoyful madnessâ: ANU scientist wins global prize for âdancing his PhDâ about kangaroos

I enjoyed when lyrics use to be cryptic and made you think. Don Mclean, Wheezer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eagles, Tool, Grateful Dead, Phish, Offspring.

As a kid when I first listened to American Pie on the radio I found the song to be a fun puzzle. I got obsessed with decrypting the songs lyrics.

Last edited:
Melody is DEAD!!! Songs don't sound nice anymore. Aussies had some fantastic songs and I think they outlasted most but by the 90s the Music had died. Maybe the loss of the Folk influence.

OK: nostalgia time.

My God we were spoiled!!!

Greg

I missed this songbird; she died before I really listened to her. Jazzy and a good sound.

But too few and far between. Rehab was frankly BORING.

Greg

Listen to Roads To Moscow and see the precipitous fall

Forum List

Back