Why Doesn't Everybody Play a Musical Instrument ?

I wanted to learn. At best, it sounded mechanical.
You might give it another try. The guitar is a great instrument. Not as great as the violin, but still terrific in its own way. Learning can be a clumsy thing, although taking lessons helps to smooth it out a lot.

I can just about guarantee if I gave you lessons, you'd be playing the guitar quite proficiently, and where it sounds musical, not mechanical, just with one month. I also provide my students a chart (in 4 colors) of each song/tune's notes - where on the guitar and when to play them. That way if you forget the song later on, you can go back to the chart, and pick back up on it, without much trouble.

If you really still want to learn, I'll give you a FREE LESSON online.

Here are some songs I teach > Purple Haze, Crossroads, Norweigen Wood , 19th Nervous Breakdown, Down By the River, and a BB King blues number I learned by ear once (never bothered to find out the name). In addition to the classic rock, I also teach fingerpicking country blues, like songs by Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, and Patrick Sky.

View attachment 425896 View attachment 425897

View attachment 425900 View attachment 425911 View attachment 425923

I appreciate the offer. But I found my artistic outlet many years ago.

Plus, every musician needs fans listening. Otherwise it is just practice. I can't wait till we get back to having live music.

You found your artistic outlet? I didn't think competitive masturbation was a credit course at Alabama!

I wanted to learn. At best, it sounded mechanical.
You might give it another try. The guitar is a great instrument. Not as great as the violin, but still terrific in its own way. Learning can be a clumsy thing, although taking lessons helps to smooth it out a lot.

I can just about guarantee if I gave you lessons, you'd be playing the guitar quite proficiently, and where it sounds musical, not mechanical, just with one month. I also provide my students a chart (in 4 colors) of each song/tune's notes - where on the guitar and when to play them. That way if you forget the song later on, you can go back to the chart, and pick back up on it, without much trouble.

If you really still want to learn, I'll give you a FREE LESSON online.

Here are some songs I teach > Purple Haze, Crossroads, Norweigen Wood , 19th Nervous Breakdown, Down By the River, and a BB King blues number I learned by ear once (never bothered to find out the name). In addition to the classic rock, I also teach fingerpicking country blues, like songs by Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, and Patrick Sky.

View attachment 425896 View attachment 425897

View attachment 425900 View attachment 425911 View attachment 425923

Plus, every musician needs fans listening. Otherwise it is just practice. I can't wait till we get back to having live music.

You found your artistic outlet? I didn't think competitive masturbation was a credit course at Alabama!

Pity that competitive football isn't part of auburn's curriculum either.

There is no better time to learn to play a musical instrument than a few weeks before Christmas. Right now I have 2 mandolin students, and they are learning 4 Christmas songs > Deck the Halls, Joy To the World, Silent Night, & Jingle Bells. I'm going to see if I can squeeze in Auld Land Syne (Old Long Since, in Scottish) - the New Year's Eve song.

Later, they'll advance to learning/playing these songs on the violin.

Some people either don't have that "thing" that makes them musical or, and I think this is probably the case far more often, they just don't have the interest. My hot Puerto Rican girlfriend loves to hear me play my guitar or piano, but she has exactly zero interest in learning to do it herself...
It's easy to be discouraged and find limitations in our abilities at any stage in life. Why are some people afraid to fly and some are afraid of drowning ? Very few can cross their own imagined boundaries and come out on top.

Last edited:
What an awesome thing music is. It's 3 basic elements Rhythm, Melody, and Harmony combine together to really stir our inner emotions. It is played in a wide variety of genres. People can pick which musical genre they like the most, and listen to it endlessly.

Some people have developed a keen awareness about their favorite type of music. They know a lot about it and can talk about it. But why limit yourselves to that ? Why not choose a musical instrument that is to your liking, buy yourself one, and learn how to play it ? I'm a music teacher and I get a lot if satisfaction out of transforming my students from non-players to players.

I get an absolute thrill when I see my students eyes light up, when they suddenly realize they have gotten to learn their instrument, and can play at least one song or tune on it. After learning that first song, they then have the confidence that they can learn to play just about ANY song/tune, And they're then well on the way to becoming a musician.

As human beings, we have the gift of being able to play music. Had we all been born a dog, a cat, an ape, a horse, etc, we would not have this capability. It seems a shame to go through a whole life never taking advantage of this ability. I think people who don't play an instrument, have no idea what they are missing.

Instruments are cheap at the starter level, and easy to obtain. They also make a marvelous Christmas gift. I bought my sister a mandolin for her birthday a couple of months ago. Hopefully, she'll learn to play it. If not, it'll become the most beautiful wall decoration she ever had. Yes, it does take some effort to learn to play (any instrument), but it is actually a fun type of work, and it becomes easier and easier with the more you learn, and the better you get at playing your instrument. View attachment 425691 :biggrin:

I have been a musician my entire life. Nothing has given me greater joy.

Have you ever seen this ?
I use this method to improvise on guitar a lot''''
(not this well probably)

No. But I do something similar when I play lead. I do not play scales per se but I pick out certain notes in a key and play around and with those notes. An example. I may play lead more or less in the key of F and focus on the notes F, Bb, C, Ab, A, and Eb. The notes are sort of a hybrid of F major (one flat) and F minor (4 flats).

Such an approach might sound a bit like the blues, a bit like harmonic minor, and a bit like a standard major scale depending on the sequence of notes I play and how I play them.

Leads played in straight scales I find boring. Create your own scale and play the notes how you wish. You can never go wrong centering your leads around the tonic, dominant, sub dominant, and leading tone of any scale. In the key of C those notes would be C, G, F, B. When in doubt begin or end a lead solo phrase on the tonic or dominant and you will never go wrong. The tonic of anything I play solo is always home base.

Honor the rules and then break them. That is my credo. My only other rule is do not be boring. :)

(not this well probably)

Btw....the notes the little girl was given were Eb, B, G, A. Definitely challenging. It is basically an augmented chord. I would call it Eb augmented ( Eb, G, B) with an A note thrown in. I noticed she was playing around the Eb quite a bit. Not sure how she approached it harmonically.

(not this well probably)

No. But I do something similar when I play lead. I do not play scales per se but I pick out certain notes in a key and play around and with those notes. An example. I may play lead more or less in the key of F and focus on the notes F, Bb, C, Ab, A, and Eb. The notes are sort of a hybrid of F major (one flat) and F minor (4 flats).

Such an approach might sound a bit like the blues, a bit like harmonic minor, and a bit like a standard major scale depending on the sequence of notes I play and how I play them.

Leads played in straight scales I find boring. Create your own scale and play the notes how you wish. You can never go wrong centering your leads around the tonic, dominant, sub dominant, and leading tone of any scale. In the key of C those notes would be C, G, F, B. When in doubt begin or end a lead solo phrase on the tonic or dominant and you will never go wrong. The tonic of anything I play solo is always home base.

Honor the rules and then break them. That is my credo. My only other rule is do not be boring. :)

I've never been in a band - just played around as a hobby at home for the most part.(* guitars)And writing lyrics. I've sat in and jammed with some other musicians but it never got serious enough for one reason or another.

But some things I learned over the years have been finally falling into place .
More time to practice for one thing.... I don't know many songs - maybe 20, but I've been fine tuning all my techniques - mainly alternate picking . arpeggiating chords, playing through chords, pick harmonics (or is it pinch ?) that Billy Gibbons squealy thing....and vibratos, trilling (hammers- pull offs) discovering forearm muscles I never had. Continuity - like smooth jazz- Larry Carlton stuff in Cminor or whatever.

I made up a funny thing today - I may have to share it sometime....I had Trump's Georgia speech on and played some drop-C metal riffs along with it .

(not this well probably)

I've never been in a band - just played around as a hobby at home for the most part.(* guitars)And writing lyrics. I've sat in and jammed with some other musicians but it never got serious enough for one reason or another.

But some things I learned over the years have been finally falling into place .
More time to practice for one thing.... I don't know many songs - maybe 20, but I've been fine tuning all my techniques - mainly alternate picking . arpeggiating chords, playing through chords, pick harmonics (or is it pinch ?) that Billy Gibbons squealy thing....and vibratos, trilling (hammers- pull offs) discovering forearm muscles I never had. Continuity - like smooth jazz- Larry Carlton stuff in Cminor or whatever.

I made up a funny thing today - I may have to share it sometime....I had Trump's Georgia speech on and played some drop-C metal riffs along with it .

I play and record songs and post them on Sound Cloud. I took a lot of theory classes in College way back when. It helps. Sounds like you have found your own voice. Really, that's all that matters. Once you find your own voice ( your personal style) the rest is just gravy. Enjoy and wail away. :thup:

I play and record songs and post them on Sound Cloud. I took a lot of theory classes in College way back when. It helps. Sounds like you have found your own voice. Really, that's all that matters. Once you find your own voice ( your personal style) the rest is just gravy. Enjoy and wail away. :thup:
I've accepted my limitations at this point.
I know I'll never be as terrifying as Paul Gilbert or Andy James, but I feel comfortable knowing I could make it in a lot of respectable bands if I wanted to.
(Not much fun these days though) This pandemic has been crushing to the live music industry going on a year .

Another sign I'm getting better is that my wife doesn't always leave the room anymore when I'm practicing, or ask me to wear the headphones.

Last edited:
Speaking of tours cancelled due to the China virus- 2020 was supposed to be Ozzy's last tour starting in Moscow, but he fell and broke his leg or something and Judas Priest was gonna take their place ( some monsters of rock-type tour). Anyway - it never happened .

Moscow 1989--

What an awesome thing music is. It's 3 basic elements Rhythm, Melody, and Harmony combine together to really stir our inner emotions. It is played in a wide variety of genres. People can pick which musical genre they like the most, and listen to it endlessly.

Some people have developed a keen awareness about their favorite type of music. They know a lot about it and can talk about it. But why limit yourselves to that ? Why not choose a musical instrument that is to your liking, buy yourself one, and learn how to play it ? I'm a music teacher and I get a lot if satisfaction out of transforming my students from non-players to players.

I get an absolute thrill when I see my students eyes light up, when they suddenly realize they have gotten to learn their instrument, and can play at least one song or tune on it. After learning that first song, they then have the confidence that they can learn to play just about ANY song/tune, And they're then well on the way to becoming a musician.

As human beings, we have the gift of being able to play music. Had we all been born a dog, a cat, an ape, a horse, etc, we would not have this capability. It seems a shame to go through a whole life never taking advantage of this ability. I think people who don't play an instrument, have no idea what they are missing.

Instruments are cheap at the starter level, and easy to obtain. They also make a marvelous Christmas gift. I bought my sister a mandolin for her birthday a couple of months ago. Hopefully, she'll learn to play it. If not, it'll become the most beautiful wall decoration she ever had. Yes, it does take some effort to learn to play (any instrument), but it is actually a fun type of work, and it becomes easier and easier with the more you learn, and the better you get at playing your instrument. View attachment 425691 :biggrin:

I find playing some instruments a lot more satisfying and fun than others. I liked playing my TEAC reel to reels with the Kenwood amps and home modified speakers a lot, certainly better than spending hours and hours and hours plunking guitar strings or beating on drums or fiddling. With musical talent as common as dirt, the top end instruments put out by Pioneer, Sony, etc. get one into very good music right away instead on in years. My stuff is getting old, and replacing it is becoming a chore, though, since there are few audiophile shops any more to compare and try out stuff, especially the better Hi Def file systems and players. It's almost impossible to find high impedance headphones without that annoying 'noise canceling' crap in stock, for instance, even at such shops as Guitar Center.

I find playing some instruments a lot more satisfying and fun than others. I liked playing my TEAC reel to reels with the Kenwood amps and home modified speakers a lot, certainly better than spending hours and hours and hours plunking guitar strings or beating on drums or fiddling. With musical talent as common as dirt, the top end instruments put out by Pioneer, Sony, etc. get one into very good music right away instead on in years. My stuff is getting old, and replacing it is becoming a chore, though, since there are few audiophile shops any more to compare and try out stuff, especially the better Hi Def file systems and players. It's almost impossible to find high impedance headphones without that annoying 'noise canceling' crap in stock, for instance, even at such shops as Guitar Center.
Listen to a good set of headphones plugged through one of these;

Dad got me started on the Blues Harp. I can play a little. But mostly I have no talent or ability at music. But I still play the Blues Harp for my own pleasure. My father , mother and brother have all the musical ability.

Actually the 'best' only get to be 'best' if they had good producers who took them under their wings. Musicans hate to hear that, since producers are supposed to be evul rip off crooks n stuff, but as far as rock, country, and pop goes its the producers and record companies that drive the talent. Some bands and musicians can do both, but not many, many are completely happy to be obnoxious and sound like shit as long as people give them free drinks, dope, and dumb chicks will screw them.

"live music" where ?

Hell, we've got live music all over Florida right now. One of our bars here in St. Augustine, Tradewinds, has music seven days a week...

Because there are right and left-brained people. Generally, left-brained people are artistic, good musicians. Right-brained folks are more analytical, adept at math, and data.

You love playing an instrument and it comes easy to you. I love MUSIC, but I also LOVE studying mathematics. Outside of my major, I took several pure maths courses in college because I loved it.

One isn't right or wrong, they're just different. Of course, there is overlap. For instance, music depends heavily on math.

Technically solid musicians, depend more on their right-brain. Solid left-brained musicians are the Jazz players.

Funny you should mention that. I am left handed but when I was a kid my parents didn't know any better and got me a right handed guitar. So I actually play the guitar right hand even though I am left handed.lol! I wonder what the difference would have been if I would have learned left handed?

Interesting thought. I'm an old-codger, 76. Back in my day, kids were nearly beaten into submission to use their right hand.

I don't know but at the time, maybe a left-handed guitar wasn't very common.

I can only think of Jimi Hendrix and he turned a right handed guitar upside down to play it left handed. I didn't think of that as a kid.lol!

I know, I'm so old, I was managing a Woolworths store when "Are You Experienced" came out. I put that record on to play side one, over and over. Those albums were just about walking out the door. People were asking what it was so often that I made a sign to put next to the cases of albums I had ordered.

He seemed to do okay playing a right-handed guitar. He never went anywhere, anywhere without it. His security blanket. All he wanted to do was play the guitar. I've no dought he'd have lived to a ripe old age if they had just let him do nothing but play the guitar.

Good thing he taught himself, a music teacher probably would have gone crazy trying to change him. The guitar wasn't upside down to him either! :D

Great story. I would say the best guitar players are the ones that teach themselves.

I dunno' about that. I believe I'm a glaring exception to that rule!

I'm 58. I started playing guitar when I was 14. Now, you would think that playing guitar for 44 years would make someone pretty good, and I suppose I am (I certainly don't suck), but I'm nowhere near where I should be, skill-level wise. I guess I just enjoyed playing chords and singing along. I don't think I played my first lead lick until 1995, and if you told me to play a I, IV, V progression, I'd look at you like I'd just been smacked in the head with a phone book. I'd need you to tell me "Just play blues!"

I honestly don't play much these days. My endeavors revolve around photography almost exclusively. I don't even have my callouses anymore. I'd like to get back into it. Maybe a nice Gibson SJ-200 will give me some inspiration.

Just for fun, here's a photo of me from another life:

1441543_10202537287215625_970355642_n.jpg

I can play the piano some, but that is it where I am concerned. I've always wanted to learn how to play the fiddle because of my being such a big fan of Alison Krauss, but my being left handed will only make it harder than it already is to learn.

God bless you and Alison always!!!

Holly (a fan of her since 1994)
Why not get a teacher who is also left handed ?

Or just learn it right-handed. My sister is left-handed, an she has a new mandolin (close cousin of the violin). which has the same tuning, and note patterns of the fiddle (violin).
In fact, the mandolin is often referred to a as violin that you play like a guitar.

In any case, if you start from scratch, (so you don't know how to play with either hand), should it really matter too much which way you play ? With all string instruments, BOTH hands have important functions.

Finding a left handed teacher may be easier said than done.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back