Why Doesn't Everybody Play a Musical Instrument ?

Instruments are cheap at the starter level, and easy to obtain. They also make a marvelous Christmas gift.
People had loud stereo systems in their cars and annoyed the neighbors in my hometown, so the gentlemen of the district arranged to have the audio equipment jacked out of the offenders' cars and to have audio equipment and musical instruments preached to be a sin, forbidden for church members to possess, and subject to confiscation on direction of the elders.

I can play the piano some, but that is it where I am concerned. I've always wanted to learn how to play the fiddle because of my being such a big fan of Alison Krauss, but my being left handed will only make it harder than it already is to learn.

God bless you and Alison always!!!

Holly (a fan of her since 1994)

Instruments are cheap at the starter level, and easy to obtain. They also make a marvelous Christmas gift.
People had loud stereo systems in their cars and annoyed the neighbors in my hometown, so the gentlemen of the district arranged to have the audio equipment jacked out of the offenders' cars and to have audio equipment and musical instruments preached to be a sin, forbidden for church members to possess, and subject to confiscation on direction of the elders.
Sounds like some kind of weird, bad dream.

I can play the piano some, but that is it where I am concerned. I've always wanted to learn how to play the fiddle
Neither one of those instruments by itself, without an atrocious amplifier attached, is loud enough to annoy the neighbors. I can't imagine people who don't mind their own business and they don't have any worse sins to commit than playing a little music now and then, to preach such a bloody sermon in church --- or the other neighbor is mowing his lawn at 2:00am.

There are quite a few venues in and around Atlanta. At least there will be when things open up again.
Now we're getting to the real problem. It's the venue, not the music. There's a loud amplifier, drug dealers take over the venue, and push drugs as part of the experience of the music --- which ends up destroying the peacefulness and the enjoyment of the music itself.

Which is why I think if people like music, a basic instrument and learn to play it, practice it at home to relieve stress, refresh, etc., unless there's a TV or radio going all night with someone else's opinion of popular music on it.

I can play the piano some, but that is it where I am concerned. I've always wanted to learn how to play the fiddle because of my being such a big fan of Alison Krauss, but my being left handed will only make it harder than it already is to learn.

God bless you and Alison always!!!

Holly (a fan of her since 1994)
Why not get a teacher who is also left handed ?

Or just learn it right-handed. My sister is left-handed, an she has a new mandolin (close cousin of the violin). which has the same tuning, and note patterns of the fiddle (violin).
In fact, the mandolin is often referred to a as violin that you play like a guitar.

In any case, if you start from scratch, (so you don't know how to play with either hand), should it really matter too much which way you play ? With all string instruments, BOTH hands have important functions.

Last edited:
There are quite a few venues in and around Atlanta. At least there will be when things open up again.
Oh, clubs you mean. OK. Somehow I don't think about that, since I'm the one who usually is PLAYING the live music in those clubs. I prefer performing over listening.

Neither one of those instruments by itself, without an atrocious amplifier attached, is loud enough to annoy the neighbors. I can't imagine people who don't mind their own business and they don't have any worse sins to commit than playing a little music now and then, to preach such a bloody sermon in church --- or the other neighbor is mowing his lawn at 2:00am.
Where I live, mowing a lawn at 2:00 AM, is a crime.

And even if the police where detained somewhere else, it would be downright dangerous to mow a lawn at 2:00 AM.
About as smart as driving from Moshi to Musoma in a convertible.

Last edited:
I studied piano as a child....and I can play some guitar, not much, just a little of either. I forgot everything.

I could always dance but music escaped me. I can hear the difference between a very high sound and a very deep sound. The closer they get the less i can tell them apart. I have had piano teachers and guitar teachers tell me how hopeless I am. Tempo and rhythm i got.

I'm the one who usually is PLAYING the live music in those clubs. I prefer performing over listening.
Performing involves sobriety and practice, but if you're one of the customers at the club, you have to be drunk or high -- or they don't let you in the club next time because you're too stuck up or don't let your hair down or something like that.

Now we're getting to the real problem. It's the venue, not the music. There's a loud amplifier, drug dealers take over the venue, and push drugs as part of the experience of the music --- which ends up destroying the peacefulness and the enjoyment of the music itself.

Which is why I think if people like music, a basic instrument and learn to play it, practice it at home to relieve stress, refresh, etc., unless there's a TV or radio going all night with someone else's opinion of popular music on it.

I am sure that some venues are taken over by drug dealers. The ones I go to have not been taken over by anyone.

Oh, clubs you mean. OK. Somehow I don't think about that, since I'm the one who usually is PLAYING the live music in those clubs. I prefer performing over listening.

I prefer enjoying the music as a fan. To each their own.

I enjoy shooting. And I enjoy going to listen to live music. But the two don't mix well.
No reason why not, except the feds are full of shit all the time.
And occasionally I do have to duck around the corner from silenced gunfire, probably from feds or cops -- silencers being another item on the wish list restricted for purchase by prohibited persons.

Just in case anyone reading this thread is interested in playing the violin/fiddle, be advised that it is quite a difficult instrument to learn how to play. What can make it easier is to get a MANDolin, and learn your scales and tunes on that.

Then, once you know your favorite tunes or songs on the MANDolin, you can then just transfer your finger pattern (same on both instruments) from the MANDolin to the VIolin. This allows you to concentrate all your energy of the bow.

Google says the “ukulele” is easier to play than the mandolin or the violin.
«Kantele» is a traditional Finnish instrument, but it is technically a form of harp.

Google says the “ukulele” is easier to play than the mandolin or the violin.
«Kantele» is a traditional Finnish instrument, but it is technically a form of harp.
Ukelele MAY be easier to play than the mandolin or violin, but it is a toy compared to those much more prestigious, quality instruments.

Forum List

Back