Why do poor communities exist in America?

Feb 14, 2019
I'm from Harlem, New York, and I just started my first day of school today at Bergen Community College, but while I was there, I couldn't help but notice how different people act in Paramus, New Jersey, as opposed to how people act in my part of town.

Aside from the uncomfortably obvious racial difference, people in this area act very unfamiliar with the difficulties that people deal with in poor communities, such as the lack of financial opportunities, abundance of poverty and desperation, pressure to get into illegal business, oppressive police activity, violent gang activity, constant drug use and trafficking, public lewdness and intoxication, overall hopelessness, etc.

Some individuals don't only seem unaware of the characteristics of my type of neighborhood, but also intolerant of the regular tenants of its atmosphere, like the trend of wearing designer clothing, listening to rap music, smoking weed, avoiding romance, as well as maintaining a guarded, skeptical mentality. Even professionals from the ghetto who aren't gang affiliated in any way do most if not all of these things in the 21st century. Despite this however, people's heads spun regardless when I was casually talking about my older brother who did 7 years in Riker's.

It doesn't seem to me like some anyone is really that concerned with what goes on in these communities, and it does seem like this lack of consideration often extends to hatefulness and resentment towards the so-called "vibes."

That aptly brings me back to my question. Quick history lesson here, communities such as Harlem started being developed into poor neighborhoods in the 1960s, when the civil rights movement had finally gained momentum. If that is the case, then the federal government is obviously responsible for every step of the development of these areas ranging from their conception to their final establishment. I can definitely understand the ghetto perhaps having been established to keep certain members of our society "in line," which brings me back to my question.

Why was it even established? Why would the government think it's a good idea to create dangerous neighborhoods all of a sudden? If it really was to keep certain Americans in line, then which ones? Of course, many would assume black people but they clearly don't make up the entirety of the ghetto's demographics. There are also Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Jews, Russians, (and definitely lots of Dominicans!) in New York City's poorest areas. While hate towards the vibes of the ghetto is certainly prejudice on a whole laundry list of levels, it cannot be considered a form of racism. So if people are separated by race in this country, then all five of the races I mentioned before, as well as black people, must have something in common that the federal government finds incredibly dangerous, and thus wishes to inhibit it. (edit: which sounds absolutely silly)

However, if it isn't actually a race issue, then what determines who goes where? Do a couple of senators just flip a coin and get to see who lives in poverty and who gets to live as a middle class citizen? It seems to me like something else must be a deciding factor here.

If someone could help me understand this basic question as it's been sufficiently elaborated (for those who are about to say TL;DR :p) that would be great!

Last edited:
I'm from Harlem, New York, and I just started my first day of school today at Bergen Community College, but while I was there, I couldn't help but notice how different people act in Paramus, New Jersey, as opposed to how people act in my part of town.

Aside from the uncomfortably obvious racial difference, people in this area act very unfamiliar with the difficulties that people deal with in poor communities, such as the lack of financial opportunities, abundance of poverty and desperation, pressure to get into illegal business, oppressive police activity, violent gang activity, constant drug use and trafficking, public lewdness and intoxication, overall hopelessness, etc.

Some individuals don't only seem unaware of the characteristics of my type of neighborhood, but also intolerant of the regular tenants of its atmosphere, like the trend of wearing designer clothing, listening to rap music, smoking weed, avoiding romance, as well as maintaining a guarded, skeptical mentality. Even professionals from the ghetto who aren't gang affiliated in any way do most if not all of these things in the 21st century. Despite this however, people's heads spun regardless when I was casually talking about my older brother who did 7 years in Riker's.

It doesn't seem to me like some anyone is really that concerned with what goes on in these communities, and it does seem like this lack of consideration often extends to hatefulness and resentment towards the so-called "vibes."

That aptly brings me back to my question. Quick history lesson here, communities such as Harlem started being developed into poor neighborhoods in the 1960s, when the civil rights movement had finally gained momentum. If that is the case, then the federal government is obviously responsible for every step of the development of these areas ranging from their conception to their final establishment. I can definitely understand the ghetto perhaps having been established to keep certain members of our society "in line," which brings me back to my question.

Why was it even established? Why would the government think it's a good idea to create dangerous neighborhoods all of a sudden? If it really was to keep certain Americans in line, then which ones? Of course, many would assume black people but they clearly don't make up the entirety of the ghetto's demographics. There are also Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Jews, Russians, (and definitely lots of Dominicans!) in New York City's poorest areas. While hate towards the vibes of the ghetto is certainly prejudice on a whole laundry list of levels, it cannot be considered a form of racism. So if people are separated by race in this country, then all five of the races I mentioned before, as well as black people, must have something in common that the federal government finds incredibly dangerous, and thus wishes to inhibit it.

However, if it isn't actually a race issue, then what determines who goes where? Do a couple of senators just flip a coin and get to see who lives in poverty and who gets to live as a middle class citizen? It seems to me like something else must be a deciding factor here.

If someone could help me understand this basic question as it's been sufficiently elaborated (for those who are about to say TL;DR :p) that would be great!
Stopped reading after that nonsense right at the start when you started mentioning the uncomfortably obvious racial differences, lack of opportunities and oppressive Police.

First day at your new college, you sound like you'll either fit in well with the rest or they've got to grips and brainwashed you in a day.

Why was it even established? Why would the government think it's a good idea to create dangerous neighborhoods all of a sudden? If it really was to keep certain Americans in line, then which ones? Of course, many would assume black people but they clearly don't make up the entirety of the ghetto's demographics. There are also Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Jews, Russians, (and definitely lots of Dominicans!) in New York City's poorest areas. While hate towards the vibes of the ghetto is certainly prejudice on a whole laundry list of levels, it cannot be considered a form of racism. So if people are separated by race in this country, then all five of the races I mentioned before, as well as black people, must have something in common that the federal government finds incredibly dangerous, and thus wishes to inhibit it.

Stopped reading after that nonsense right at the start when you started mentioning the uncomfortably obvious racial differences, lack of opportunities and oppressive Police.

First day at your new college, you sound like you'll either fit in well with the rest or they've got to grips and brainwashed you in a day.
Maybe you should move to the actual UK so you can learn to read English.

Democrats.
I just want to know why. It's so unfair. :(
thats like complaining you have a little dick and the guy behind you has a big one,,

get over it, there will always be poor people,,
Maybe I'm asking a bad question or something. I guess there will always be poor people. Whether there are poor neighborhoods or not.
keep in mind,, those you are complaining about rank above average in the world,,, and live well above the poverty line,,

I live in the UK.
I can read perfectly OK.
I've decided to read the complete OP.
There's even more bullshit in it than I first gave you credit for.

Government's don't create dangerous neighborhoods. This is my problem with idiots like you, you think you are clever with the way you type but you actually don't have the first clue. Bad people make bad neighborhoods. The tools are there and there's nothing stopping ANY of your minority brethren making something of themselves.

Go and familiarise yourself with a certain Mr Martin Luther King - he was saying even back at the height of Civil Rights Movement that blacks and minorities need to take responsibility and drop the hood/ghetto culture they all embrace and use the tools given to them to integrate properly to help create true equality.

Maybe instead of blaming Governments and straw men point your college kid fingers at the individuals instead and allocate some personal responsibility.

Why was it even established? Why would the government think it's a good idea to create dangerous neighborhoods all of a sudden? If it really was to keep certain Americans in line, then which ones? Of course, many would assume black people but they clearly don't make up the entirety of the ghetto's demographics. There are also Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Jews, Russians, (and definitely lots of Dominicans!) in New York City's poorest areas. While hate towards the vibes of the ghetto is certainly prejudice on a whole laundry list of levels, it cannot be considered a form of racism. So if people are separated by race in this country, then all five of the races I mentioned before, as well as black people, must have something in common that the federal government finds incredibly dangerous, and thus wishes to inhibit it. (edit: which sounds absolutely silly)

Here's my advice...
Study, get good grades, work part-time to build up your resume and you'll do fine.

It is Oprah's fault. Before Oprah, people kept their dirty secrets in the closet. After Oprah, it became a necessity to have dirty laundry out in the open.

So I guess I can assume the simple reason is that is was actually done by mistake. Some congressman slipped and fell and setup some ghettos. Apprently, America isn't fascist though.

I live in the UK.
I can read perfectly OK.

Government's don't create dangerous neighborhoods. This is my problem with idiots like you, you think you are clever with the way you type but you actually don't have the first clue. Bad people make bad neighborhoods. The tools are there and there's nothing stopping ANY of your minority brethren making something of themselves.

Go and familiarise yourself with a certain Mr Martin Luther King - he was saying even back at the height of Civil Rights Movement that blacks and minorities need to take responsibility and drop the hood/ghetto culture they all embrace and use the tools given to them to integrate properly to help create true equality.

Maybe instead of blaming Governments and straw men point your college kid fingers at the individuals instead and allocate some personal responsibility.
Dude you're from Scotland. Being considered actually British is like a pipe dream for your people. I guess you're fixated at my fancy writing though and think that I'm blaming people and that I'm wrong about things and that I'm an idiot. Like I said, I was just asking a question but if you think I was stating facts then I'm clearly not the one who's an idiot. I thought you said your reading was fine?

Here's my advice...
Study, get good grades, work part-time to build up your resume and you'll do fine.
Probably good advice, thanks!

So I guess I can assume the simple reason is that is was actually done by mistake. Some congressman slipped and fell and setup some ghettos. Apprently, America isn't fascist though.

I live in the UK.
I can read perfectly OK.

Dude you're from Scotland. Being considered actually British is like a pipe dream for your people. I guess you're fixated at my fancy writing though and think that I'm blaming people and that I'm wrong about things and that I'm an idiot. Like I said, I was just asking a question but if you think I was stating facts then I'm clearly not the one who's an idiot. I thought you said your reading was fine?
Someone in college in 2021 would not be taught the history about which you inquire.

Here's my advice...
tell us,, what other name do you go by on this forum??

I live in the UK.
I can read perfectly OK.

Someone in college in 2021 would not be taught the history about which you inquire.
Yeah, you're probably right about that lol. It is what it is.

Here's my advice...
I don't think I have another account on this forum. Why?

Here's my advice...
I don't think I have another account on this forum. Why?
we know you dont think,,,

Forum List

Back