Why do poor communities exist in America?

^^
Neighborhoods that were predominantly made up of African Americans, as well as Catholics, Jews and immigrants from Asia and southern Europe, were deemed undesirable. “Anyone who was not northern-European white was considered to be a detraction from the value of the area,” said Bruce Mitchell, a senior researcher at the NCRC and one of the study’s authors.
Loans in these neighborhoods were unavailable or very expensive, making it more difficult for low-income minorities to buy homes and setting the stage for the country’s persistent racial wealth gap. (White families today have nearly 10 times the net worth of black families and more than eight times that of Hispanic families, according to the Federal Reserve.)

I didn't mean to start a heated discussion. I was just hoping to inform myself, at least a little bit.
That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate you educating me on that and the fact that I'm a fuckwit apparently. Do you British people ever speak actual English from time to time or is that just not a thing over there?
Dude... You *just* got done telling someone else they need to learn English in the UK... Then... This?

Is your other account Scottish_Brexiteer_UK?
Umm no, I can't say it is. I'm also not sure how or why you would even come to that conclusion.

Yeah after WW2 ... 70-years ago.
When the government starting creating those neighbourhoods.
Exactly. That's generations and 10 decades ago.

What's this generations excuse? still the Government's fault? despite giving minorities more tools than you're average white folk from poor backgrounds.
Isn't it the government's fault? America is as lawless as it gets. Maybe I'm racist or ignorant or something for saying that too but it doesn't make it any less true and I'm sure you're already aware of it.
No you aren't racist. Not at all.

I'd say Ignorant but it's not even your fault - kids today are brainwashed and get taught to blame everything and everyone else other than the actual root of these problems because it's more comfortable blaming the Government than an actual person you feel sorry for. It's an emotional thing. It's easier to look at the big bad faceless system even if it was a policy 7 decades ago whilst ignoring the fact that minorities have all the tools now.

It comes down to personal responsibility.

^^
Neighborhoods that were predominantly made up of African Americans, as well as Catholics, Jews and immigrants from Asia and southern Europe, were deemed undesirable. “Anyone who was not northern-European white was considered to be a detraction from the value of the area,” said Bruce Mitchell, a senior researcher at the NCRC and one of the study’s authors.
Loans in these neighborhoods were unavailable or very expensive, making it more difficult for low-income minorities to buy homes and setting the stage for the country’s persistent racial wealth gap. (White families today have nearly 10 times the net worth of black families and more than eight times that of Hispanic families, according to the Federal Reserve.)
A lot of things were trying to be "fixed" in society at that time. Why do you think they outlawed cannabis for instance only 30 years earlier? America was trying to "clean up" its own society in that period in our history. That's dark but it's pretty good to know.

I'm from Harlem, New York, and I just started my first day of school today at Bergen Community College, but while I was there, I couldn't help but notice how different people act in Paramus, New Jersey, as opposed to how people act in my part of town.

Aside from the uncomfortably obvious racial difference, people in this area act very unfamiliar with the difficulties that people deal with in poor communities, such as the lack of financial opportunities, abundance of poverty and desperation, pressure to get into illegal business, oppressive police activity, violent gang activity, constant drug use and trafficking, public lewdness and intoxication, overall hopelessness, etc.

Some individuals don't only seem unaware of the characteristics of my type of neighborhood, but also intolerant of the regular tenants of its atmosphere, like the trend of wearing designer clothing, listening to rap music, smoking weed, avoiding romance, as well as maintaining a guarded, skeptical mentality. Even professionals from the ghetto who aren't gang affiliated in any way do most if not all of these things in the 21st century. Despite this however, people's heads spun regardless when I was casually talking about my older brother who did 7 years in Riker's.

It doesn't seem to me like some anyone is really that concerned with what goes on in these communities, and it does seem like this lack of consideration often extends to hatefulness and resentment towards the so-called "vibes."

That aptly brings me back to my question. Quick history lesson here, communities such as Harlem started being developed into poor neighborhoods in the 1960s, when the civil rights movement had finally gained momentum. If that is the case, then the federal government is obviously responsible for every step of the development of these areas ranging from their conception to their final establishment. I can definitely understand the ghetto perhaps having been established to keep certain members of our society "in line," which brings me back to my question.

Why was it even established? Why would the government think it's a good idea to create dangerous neighborhoods all of a sudden? If it really was to keep certain Americans in line, then which ones? Of course, many would assume black people but they clearly don't make up the entirety of the ghetto's demographics. There are also Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Jews, Russians, (and definitely lots of Dominicans!) in New York City's poorest areas. While hate towards the vibes of the ghetto is certainly prejudice on a whole laundry list of levels, it cannot be considered a form of racism. So if people are separated by race in this country, then all five of the races I mentioned before, as well as black people, must have something in common that the federal government finds incredibly dangerous, and thus wishes to inhibit it. (edit: which sounds absolutely silly)

However, if it isn't actually a race issue, then what determines who goes where? Do a couple of senators just flip a coin and get to see who lives in poverty and who gets to live as a middle class citizen? It seems to me like something else must be a deciding factor here.

If someone could help me understand this basic question as it's been sufficiently elaborated (for those who are about to say TL;DR :p) that would be great!
I don't know..why are there Chinatowns and Koreantowns, white poor neighborhoods? The 'gummit' create all those too?

^^
A lot of things were trying to be "fixed" in society at that time. Why do you think they outlawed cannabis for instance only 30 years earlier? America was trying to "clean up" its own society in that period in our history. That's dark but it's pretty good to know.
your education on history is shitty,,

cannabis was made illegal by cronyism from people like hearst and dupont that didnt want the competition from industrial hemp

What's this generations excuse? still the Government's fault? despite giving minorities more tools than you're average white folk from poor backgrounds.
Isn't it the government's fault? America is as lawless as it gets. Maybe I'm racist or ignorant or something for saying that too but it doesn't make it any less true and I'm sure you're already aware of it.

I'd say Ignorant but it's not even your fault - kids today are brainwashed and get taught to blame everything and everyone else other than the actual root of these problems because it's more comfortable blaming the Government than an actual person you feel sorry for. It's an emotional thing. It's easier to look at the big bad faceless system even if it was a policy 7 decades ago whilst ignoring the fact that minorities have all the tools now.

It seems to me like the government, or specifically the legislative branch, has all the power to make this change. They could make public transportation free so people don't get stranded, they could eliminate tuitions so that people don't have to actually pay for an education in the United Freaking States for crying out loud, they could eliminate unregulated parenting so that people don't have to grow up with parents that don't like responsibility, etc.

Also by the way, I guess you should know I'm white so I'm not technically a minority, but I did grow up in Harlem, like I said, and it wasn't with very much money. Thankfully I work in the music business now so the money problem is mostly a thing of the past.

It still makes me think though, since if I'm white, and I had to deal with the same problems as anyone else in the streets, is it really a race thing? I can't, in my right mind at least, believe that it is after knowing the facts.

I'm from Harlem, New York, and I just started my first day of school today at Bergen Community College, but while I was there, I couldn't help but notice how different people act in Paramus, New Jersey, as opposed to how people act in my part of town.

Aside from the uncomfortably obvious racial difference, people in this area act very unfamiliar with the difficulties that people deal with in poor communities, such as the lack of financial opportunities, abundance of poverty and desperation, pressure to get into illegal business, oppressive police activity, violent gang activity, constant drug use and trafficking, public lewdness and intoxication, overall hopelessness, etc.

Some individuals don't only seem unaware of the characteristics of my type of neighborhood, but also intolerant of the regular tenants of its atmosphere, like the trend of wearing designer clothing, listening to rap music, smoking weed, avoiding romance, as well as maintaining a guarded, skeptical mentality. Even professionals from the ghetto who aren't gang affiliated in any way do most if not all of these things in the 21st century. Despite this however, people's heads spun regardless when I was casually talking about my older brother who did 7 years in Riker's.

It doesn't seem to me like some anyone is really that concerned with what goes on in these communities, and it does seem like this lack of consideration often extends to hatefulness and resentment towards the so-called "vibes."

That aptly brings me back to my question. Quick history lesson here, communities such as Harlem started being developed into poor neighborhoods in the 1960s, when the civil rights movement had finally gained momentum. If that is the case, then the federal government is obviously responsible for every step of the development of these areas ranging from their conception to their final establishment. I can definitely understand the ghetto perhaps having been established to keep certain members of our society "in line," which brings me back to my question.

Why was it even established? Why would the government think it's a good idea to create dangerous neighborhoods all of a sudden? If it really was to keep certain Americans in line, then which ones? Of course, many would assume black people but they clearly don't make up the entirety of the ghetto's demographics. There are also Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Jews, Russians, (and definitely lots of Dominicans!) in New York City's poorest areas. While hate towards the vibes of the ghetto is certainly prejudice on a whole laundry list of levels, it cannot be considered a form of racism. So if people are separated by race in this country, then all five of the races I mentioned before, as well as black people, must have something in common that the federal government finds incredibly dangerous, and thus wishes to inhibit it. (edit: which sounds absolutely silly)

However, if it isn't actually a race issue, then what determines who goes where? Do a couple of senators just flip a coin and get to see who lives in poverty and who gets to live as a middle class citizen? It seems to me like something else must be a deciding factor here.

If someone could help me understand this basic question as it's been sufficiently elaborated (for those who are about to say TL;DR :p) that would be great!
I don't know..why are there Chinatowns and Koreantowns, white poor neighborhoods? The 'gummit' create all those too?
I would assume so! Who else did?

That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate you educating me on that and the fact that I'm a fuckwit apparently. Do you British people ever speak actual English from time to time or is that just not a thing over there?
Dude... You *just* got done telling someone else they need to learn English in the UK... Then... This?

Is your other account Scottish_Brexiteer_UK?
Are you like a forum police or something? Why were you haranguing me earlier about someone else's account?

^^

cannabis was made illegal by cronyism from people like hearst and dupont that didnt want the competition from industrial hemp
When did I disagree with you about that? All I said was that it was outlawed in the 30s, but thanks for the history lesson poindexter.

^^

When did I disagree with you about that? All I said was that it was outlawed in the 30s, but thanks for the history lesson poindexter.
when did I say you disagreed with me on it?? and you clearly said it was a society thing,,,

"A lot of things were trying to be "fixed" in society at that time"

Is everyone okay? Can we keep this conversation up please?
^^

when did I say you disagreed with me on it?? and you clearly said it was a society thing,,,

I mean you did say my knowledge on history was shitty... so clearly I got something incorrect according to you.

^^

I mean you did say my knowledge on history was shitty... so clearly I got something incorrect according to you.
its not according to me,, its according to facts of why it was made illegal,,

^^

Also what is the society thing, specifically? I don't see the factor that determines which part of that society a typical American would end up being a part of.

^^

its not according to me,, its according to facts of why it was made illegal,,
So you're saying that I didn't get the facts right. Correct?

It seems to me like the government, or specifically the legislative branch, has all the power to make this change. They could make public transportation free so people don't get stranded, they could eliminate tuitions so that people don't have to actually pay for an education in the United Freaking States for crying out loud, they could eliminate unregulated parenting so that people don't have to grow up with parents that don't like responsibility, etc.

Also by the way, I guess you should know I'm white so I'm not technically a minority, but I did grow up in Harlem, like I said, and it wasn't with very much money. Thankfully I work in the music business now so the money problem is mostly a thing of the past.

It still makes me think though, since if I'm white, and I had to deal with the same problems as anyone else in the streets, is it really a race thing? I can't, in my right mind at least, believe that it is after knowing the facts.
You can't just make everything free. Free public transportation sounds great but it needs paid for. Substantial cost.

Last time I was in New York a weekly subway ticket was 30-dollars. If you're working in employment then 30-dollars is nothing. If you're not working, why would you be out every day travelling around New York, going out for nights out etc to get stranded in the first instance?

I half agree on tuitions. It's a shame there's real smart kids out there who are denied the chance to make a good living and even enhance the country too at the same time but can't afford the money for the further education. That's not unique to the USA though. In Scotland we do have free University places should you qualify but the cost is very substantial and other areas of our economy suffer from this policy and we are a small nation within the United Kingdom. Even if they get a University place there's still the substantial cost - a couple of my friends who's kids have moved 35 miles from Glasgow to Edinburgh for Edinburgh University are £1200 pounds a month just for their accommodation alone that they cover.

You're obviously a socialist because you're answers for these things is "make it free" - that's too detached from reality. Well intended, but detached from reality.

You've more or less answered your own question in your last two lines.

Whites have it hard, blacks have it hard - life can be hard, but it's nothing to do with race, Police aggression, Government suppression etc. It's life.

You being in the music industry, that's being in a niche market too. I'm guessing you've landed on your feet with a labour of love that you enjoy so that will detach you that bit further when it comes to trying to understand why everything can't be great.

Lastly apartments in Harlem isn't cheap to rent or have a mortgage on due to the gentrification that New York has underwent these last 20-30-years.

Everyone knows Harlem was a black neighborhood by the 1920's when the people of NYC were flocking to Harlem for the jazz and the dance halls (ever heard of the Savoy Ballroom?) Black poets, writers and intellectuals were blazing a trail for blacks who had moved north. The Harlem Renaissance was a cultural explosion that apparently fizzled with the Depression. By 1930, 70% of those in Harlem were black. Like everyone, jobs were lost in the Depression, but it hit blacks harder. Good history coverage here. Harlem - Wikipedia
Except for what cnm said about making it difficult for black people to move out to the burbs, I don't know that the government corralled people there; whatever happened to Harlem, it started a lot earlier than the 1960's, or even 1945.

Maybe you should move to the actual UK so you can learn to read English.
You just told somebody they need to learn to read English.

Government's don't create dangerous neighborhoods. This is my problem with idiots like you, you think you are clever with the way you type but you actually don't have the first clue.
You really are a fuckwit. The US government created those communities by denying mortgage guarantees to Blacks after WW2, there by keeping them out of property ownership in the suburbs, by permitting and enabling Redlining, thereby keeping them from property ownership elsewhere, among other measures. Not only are you a fuckwit, you're the perfect example of the sort of person to which the OP was referring.
If you follow the quote.. He's obviously calling Scottish guy a fuckwit. And then funny enough... Begin to go into reading comprehension skills again. Irony, got to love it.

So... Either you have more than one account in which you are *also* Schottish guy... Or... You need to move to the actual UK so you can learn to read English.

Umm no, I can't say it is. I'm also not sure how or why you would even come to that conclusion.
Thus my comment.

Why are making excuses?

Forum List

Back