Why do poor communities exist in America?

I'm from Harlem, New York, and I just started my first day of school today at Bergen Community College, but while I was there, I couldn't help but notice how different people act in Paramus, New Jersey, as opposed to how people act in my part of town.

Aside from the uncomfortably obvious racial difference, people in this area act very unfamiliar with the difficulties that people deal with in poor communities, such as the lack of financial opportunities, abundance of poverty and desperation, pressure to get into illegal business, oppressive police activity, violent gang activity, constant drug use and trafficking, public lewdness and intoxication, overall hopelessness, etc.

Some individuals don't only seem unaware of the characteristics of my type of neighborhood, but also intolerant of the regular tenants of its atmosphere, like the trend of wearing designer clothing, listening to rap music, smoking weed, avoiding romance, as well as maintaining a guarded, skeptical mentality. Even professionals from the ghetto who aren't gang affiliated in any way do most if not all of these things in the 21st century. Despite this however, people's heads spun regardless when I was casually talking about my older brother who did 7 years in Riker's.

It doesn't seem to me like some anyone is really that concerned with what goes on in these communities, and it does seem like this lack of consideration often extends to hatefulness and resentment towards the so-called "vibes."

That aptly brings me back to my question. Quick history lesson here, communities such as Harlem started being developed into poor neighborhoods in the 1960s, when the civil rights movement had finally gained momentum. If that is the case, then the federal government is obviously responsible for every step of the development of these areas ranging from their conception to their final establishment. I can definitely understand the ghetto perhaps having been established to keep certain members of our society "in line," which brings me back to my question.

Why was it even established? Why would the government think it's a good idea to create dangerous neighborhoods all of a sudden? If it really was to keep certain Americans in line, then which ones? Of course, many would assume black people but they clearly don't make up the entirety of the ghetto's demographics. There are also Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Jews, Russians, (and definitely lots of Dominicans!) in New York City's poorest areas. While hate towards the vibes of the ghetto is certainly prejudice on a whole laundry list of levels, it cannot be considered a form of racism. So if people are separated by race in this country, then all five of the races I mentioned before, as well as black people, must have something in common that the federal government finds incredibly dangerous, and thus wishes to inhibit it. (edit: which sounds absolutely silly)

However, if it isn't actually a race issue, then what determines who goes where? Do a couple of senators just flip a coin and get to see who lives in poverty and who gets to live as a middle class citizen? It seems to me like something else must be a deciding factor here.

If someone could help me understand this basic question as it's been sufficiently elaborated (for those who are about to say TL;DR :p) that would be great!
Here's my advice...
Study, get good grades, work part-time to build up your resume and you'll do fine.
Probably good advice, thanks!
tell us,, what other name do you go by on this forum??
I don't think I have another account on this forum. Why?
we know you dont think,,,
So if you know the account then why not tell me what the username is? Since you brought it up, at least.

Government's don't create dangerous neighborhoods. This is my problem with idiots like you, you think you are clever with the way you type but you actually don't have the first clue.
You really are a fuckwit. The US government created those communities by denying mortgage guarantees to Blacks after WW2, thereby keeping them out of property ownership in the suburbs, by permitting and enabling Redlining, thereby keeping them from property ownership elsewhere, among other measures. Not only are you a fuckwit, you're the perfect example of the sort of person to which the OP was referring.

Poverty comes from cultural pressures to confirm, mental health issues, and illegal activity.

In EVERY community that one or more of these factors exist there is going to be poverty.

I'm from Harlem, New York, and I just started my first day of school today at Bergen Community College, but while I was there, I couldn't help but notice how different people act in Paramus, New Jersey, as opposed to how people act in my part of town.

Aside from the uncomfortably obvious racial difference, people in this area act very unfamiliar with the difficulties that people deal with in poor communities, such as the lack of financial opportunities, abundance of poverty and desperation, pressure to get into illegal business, oppressive police activity, violent gang activity, constant drug use and trafficking, public lewdness and intoxication, overall hopelessness, etc.

Some individuals don't only seem unaware of the characteristics of my type of neighborhood, but also intolerant of the regular tenants of its atmosphere, like the trend of wearing designer clothing, listening to rap music, smoking weed, avoiding romance, as well as maintaining a guarded, skeptical mentality. Even professionals from the ghetto who aren't gang affiliated in any way do most if not all of these things in the 21st century. Despite this however, people's heads spun regardless when I was casually talking about my older brother who did 7 years in Riker's.

It doesn't seem to me like some anyone is really that concerned with what goes on in these communities, and it does seem like this lack of consideration often extends to hatefulness and resentment towards the so-called "vibes."

That aptly brings me back to my question. Quick history lesson here, communities such as Harlem started being developed into poor neighborhoods in the 1960s, when the civil rights movement had finally gained momentum. If that is the case, then the federal government is obviously responsible for every step of the development of these areas ranging from their conception to their final establishment. I can definitely understand the ghetto perhaps having been established to keep certain members of our society "in line," which brings me back to my question.

Why was it even established? Why would the government think it's a good idea to create dangerous neighborhoods all of a sudden? If it really was to keep certain Americans in line, then which ones? Of course, many would assume black people but they clearly don't make up the entirety of the ghetto's demographics. There are also Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Jews, Russians, (and definitely lots of Dominicans!) in New York City's poorest areas. While hate towards the vibes of the ghetto is certainly prejudice on a whole laundry list of levels, it cannot be considered a form of racism. So if people are separated by race in this country, then all five of the races I mentioned before, as well as black people, must have something in common that the federal government finds incredibly dangerous, and thus wishes to inhibit it. (edit: which sounds absolutely silly)

However, if it isn't actually a race issue, then what determines who goes where? Do a couple of senators just flip a coin and get to see who lives in poverty and who gets to live as a middle class citizen? It seems to me like something else must be a deciding factor here.

If someone could help me understand this basic question as it's been sufficiently elaborated (for those who are about to say TL;DR :p) that would be great!
Here's my advice...
Study, get good grades, work part-time to build up your resume and you'll do fine.
So if you know the account then why not tell me what the username is? Since you brought it up, at least.
my god youre a stupid fucking kid,,,,

you want to learn why people are poor, quit school and get a job and you will understand,,,

all school is going to do is make you more of a mindless drone than you are now,,

Government's don't create dangerous neighborhoods. This is my problem with idiots like you, you think you are clever with the way you type but you actually don't have the first clue.
You really are a fuckwit. The US government created those communities by denying mortgage guarantees to Blacks after WW2, there by keeping them out of property ownership in the suburbs, by permitting and enabling Redlining, thereby keeping them from property ownership elsewhere, among other measures. Not only are you a fuckwit, you're the perfect example of the sort of person to which the OP was referring.
That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate you educating me on that and the fact that I'm a fuckwit apparently. Do you British people ever speak actual English from time to time or is that just not a thing over there?

Here's my advice...
my god youre a stupid fucking kid,,,,

you want to learn why people are poor, quit school and get a job and you will understand,,,

all school is going to do is make you more of a mindless drone than you are now,,
So you're saying school is "bad for you." Well, at least we agree on something.

You really are a fuckwit. The US government created those communities by denying mortgage guarantees to Blacks after WW2, there by keeping them out of property ownership in the suburbs, by permitting and enabling Redlining, thereby keeping them from property ownership elsewhere, among other measures. Not only are you a fuckwit, you're the perfect example of the sort of person to which the OP was referring.
Yeah after WW2 ... 70-years ago. The OP's question's was in a present, current day context.

That's what I was talking about.

He's asking for modern day solutions.

So I was correct.

Plus besides, take New York for example - the Government (if I'm not mistaken) would house the Irish, the Italian's etc in the one area of their own giving them their communities.

It was rough, you could get into trouble if you went looking but they had a sense of community and there was no crime.

Yet the black communities are still killing each other, mugging, raping, shooting.

Why is that?

So again Government's don't create bad neighborhoods - bad people do.

In fact re-reading your comment there what you're actually saying is really racist and you've undermined your whole premise - you've just said that putting all the blacks together causes mayhem.

What's stopping these blacks getting out the hoods and making something of themselves? absolutely nothing - but just you keep making excuses for them and harping on about decisions made 70-years ago lmao.

That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate you educating me on that and the fact that I'm a fuckwit apparently. Do you British people ever speak actual English from time to time or is that just not a thing over there?
Dude... You *just* got done telling someone else they need to learn English in the UK... Then... This?

Is your other account Scottish_Brexiteer_UK?

Yeah after WW2 ... 70-years ago. The OP's question's was in a present, current day context.

That's what I was talking about.

He's asking for modern day solutions.

So I was correct.

Plus besides, take New York for example - the Government (if I'm not mistaken) would house the Irish, the Italian's etc in the one area of their own giving them their communities.

It was rough, you could get into trouble if you went looking but they had a sense of community and there was no crime.

Yet the black communities are still killing each other, mugging, raping, shooting.

Why is that?

So again Government's don't create bad neighborhoods - bad people do.

In fact re-reading your comment there what you're actually saying is really racist and you've undermined your whole premise - you've just said that putting all the blacks together causes mayhem.

What's stopping these blacks getting out the hoods and making something of themselves? absolutely nothing - but just you keep making excuses for them and harping on about decisions made 70-years ago lmao.
Well black communities and poor communities are synonymous. Most people don't see a difference here. In these "black communities," yes there are people mugging, raping and shooting, but it's everyone that I mentioned, Puerto Ricans, Jews, and Russians do that just as much.

If you think that I'm ignorant or racist or whatever then I'm sorry, but that's just the truth.

Yeah after WW2 ... 70-years ago.
When the government starting creating those neighbourhoods.
Exactly. That's generations and 10 decades ago.

What's this generations excuse? still the Government's fault? despite giving minorities more tools than you're average white folk from poor backgrounds.
Isn't it the government's fault? America is as lawless as it gets. Maybe I'm racist or ignorant or something for saying that too but it doesn't make it any less true and I'm sure you're already aware of it.

What's this generations excuse?
What's your excuse for being a fuckwit unable to be told?

Racial discrimination in mortgage lending in the 1930s shaped the demographic and wealth patterns of American communities today, a new study shows, with 3 out of 4 neighborhoods “redlined” on government maps 80 years ago continuing to struggle economically.
The study by the National Community Reinvestment Coalition, released Wednesday, shows that the vast majority of neighborhoods marked “hazardous” in red ink on maps drawn by the federal Home Owners’ Loan Corp. from 1935 to 1939 are today much more likely than other areas to comprise lower-income, minority residents.
“It’s as if some of these places have been trapped in the past, locking neighborhoods into concentrated poverty,” said Jason Richardson, director of research at the NCRC, a consumer advocacy group.

Forum List

Back