Why do Americans lack introspection and are so defensive

Some interesting replies. I more interested in why when there is a criticism of the US, those more on the right side get all het up. It's as if you have insulted their mother or something. They think they are the best country in the world and therefore any criticism that comes their way is borne out of jealousy or some such as opposed to real thoughts that maybe the US isn't the greatest in the world. And if you are, so what? Great in what sense? Almost every first-world country thinks their country in the best. Eye of the beholder and all that.
Because 99% of the time the criticism is erroneous and taken out of perspective. Setting the record straight is what civilized people do.

Please keep it clean. I really want to know. Seriously.
I think it's just the direction in which our culture has moved. We've become more and more narcissistic, which makes us more sensitive to opposing thought. It's the selfie generation, the social media generation, in which we're all celebrities. And, come to think of it, that includes internet message boards, where we're all instantly published for the world to see.

I read something a while back that really stuck with me: It has been so long that we communicated with each other - and that includes listening - that it's possible that we've literally lost the skill. Use it or lose it. We're afraid to listen, as if it's some kind of threat to our core self-esteem. Communication and collaboration are no longer priorities. If that's the case, this won't stop, and we're in trouble.

Who knows. Maybe this will begin to change tomorrow. Let's hope.

Why should Americans reply to unfounded accusations posted as if the mere act of saying them made them true?

Why are the French so snotty?
Why are the Chinese so inscrutable?
Why are the Germans so up tight?
Why are the Italians so frivolous?
Why are anybody so anything?

One can posit as many insulting stereotypes as they wish, but the intent certainly is not to have a clean debate when the gauntlet has been laid in this fashion.

Why should Americans reply to unfounded accusations posted as if the mere act of saying them made them true?

One can posit as many insulting stereotypes as they wish, but the intent certainly is not to have a clean debate when the gauntlet has been laid in this fashion.

What about the Brits?

:twirl:

Probably the same reason we never managed to create a Hitler, a Napoleon, or a Mussolini.

You forget, Trump IS Hitler, Napoleon, and Mussolini, all rolled into one.

Yep, the only President not to start a "war" since Carter.

Hilarious.

What about the Brits?

You mean the people where the men keep their sox on when having sex -- those Brits?

adding "why are British men such lousy lovers" to the list.

What about the Brits?

You mean the people where the men keep their sox on when having sex -- those Brits?

adding "why are British men such lousy lovers" to the list.

I'll come up with something.

Some interesting replies. I more interested in why when there is a criticism of the US, those more on the right side get all het up. It's as if you have insulted their mother or something. They think they are the best country in the world and therefore any criticism that comes their way is borne out of jealousy or some such as opposed to real thoughts that maybe the US isn't the greatest in the world. And if you are, so what? Great in what sense? Almost every first-world country thinks their country in the best. Eye of the beholder and all that.

“The Right” tends to have a true love and respect for country, for REAL American citizens, for American culture, history and values....whereas the Left hate the aforementioned...they’re simply in love with what they seek to morph this nation into using cash flow from The Right.

Forum List

Back