Why did we stop wearing hats?

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
men-street-style-retro-looks-3.jpg

In every old movie, you could see similar images as the above. I was just wondering, what happened that most people stopped wearing these kinds of hats. and when?

Great question. I almost always do outdoors. Protection from sun and rain, can't beat it. It is interesting how everyone wore one then, women included.

I love a man in a hat like that. Very debonair. Don't they blow off in the wind, though?

men-street-style-retro-looks-3.jpg

In every old movie, you could see similar images as the above. I was just wondering, what happened that most people stopped wearing these kinds of hats. and when?
2 Years ago, I started wearing the Fedora, in honor of my Grandfather who passed away in 1980. He always wore it, today I am also.

thYKTELS88.jpg

I haven't stopped wearing a hat

I wear one every day of the year

I am partial to fedoras

Come on, everyone knows that fedoras instantly went out of fashion for men on Jan, 20 1960 when bare headed baseball cap wearing JFK was inaugurated as president.

Who stopped ??

See my avatar !!

Everyone should wear a hat, day or night.

In the day it keeps the sun out of your eyes.

At night it keeps the headlights out of your eyes.

Also bugs, rain, snow, dust, dirt, birdsh!t, etc.

Cars.

Men work hats when they walked to work and continued when they used public transportation. Even continued for a while until the little Jap-mobiles took over the American automobile market and one could not wear a hat and drive. Those who tried found them knocked off as they entered and, finally, just left them on the ground and drove over them.

Social conformity and social conditioning.

Hats have been banned in schools for several generations, so we are raised up not used to wearing them. If someone tries to wear a casual wear heat in public, they look out of place, so therefore no one does it.

Social conformity and social conditioning.

Hats have been banned in schools for several generations, so we are raised up not used to wearing them. If someone tries to wear a casual wear heat in public, they look out of place, so therefore no one does it.
We are dealing with the concept of Fedoras for men's wear but I wasn't aware that hats were banned in schools.

Forum List

Back