What is true greatness?

True greatness is bestowed on those great men who manage to die before they are found to be frauds.

There's some good thoughts here. So far no one has said the exact word(s) I had in mind when posting this, but I like hearing different ideas. :)

What do you think makes someone great? If you could narrow down greatness to just a few words (or better yet, just one word), what would that be?

Let's see who's first to post the right answer. :wink:
Just loving your spouse/partner and being a positive role-model for your children in this day and age.

Well. Heck. I dunno. To be ''considered great'', I would think, demands an assumption that a thing (or in this case, a person, since the question was with regard to what makes someone great) has transcended in a manner so as to exceed the sum of its parts.

Now. The sum of said parts when ''considered'' are fully dependent upon the foundation and scope of terms of controversy from which the assumption or consideration is made.

It's a very deep discussion, really.

Just loving your spouse/partner and being a positive role-model for your children in this day and age.

I love that, thanks.

Well. Heck. I dunno. To be ''considered great'', I would think, demands an assumption that a thing (or in this case, a person, since the question was with regard to what makes someone great) has transcended in a manner so as to exceed the sum of its parts.

Now. The sum of said parts when ''considered'' are fully dependent upon the foundation and scope of terms of controversy from which the assumption or consideration is made.

It's a very deep discussion, really.

Very interesting. I can tell you're an INTJ. ;) If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're saying is it depends on the foundation or framework we're starting from when considering the definition of greatness. If so, yes, that's true.

But since I can’t prove that right now, I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on it and share my thought. But it's true that this would lead to another (deeper) discussion on why that particular view would be the right one. One step at a time tho, hehe.

Last edited:
Very interesting. I can tell you're an INTJ. ;)

Why, yes. Yes I am. Good guess. :)

Screen Shot 10 copy.jpg

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're saying is it depends on the foundation or framework we're starting from when considering the true definition of greatness. If so, yes, that's true.

Well, I defined greatness as I see it, whether it be a person or a thing.

With regard to any human considerations made in order to determine greatness in some thing or someone, it's a bit of a paradox. For instance, what makes a joke great? Now, of course, one could certainly consider that one simple question in a very deep, complex way. But, for the sake of time, I would say that it has to be two things. Surprising and inevitable.Of course, I mention inevitable in the sense that the surpise makes perfect sense when realized. As I said, it's a bit of a paradox. I'd mentioned to someone just casually not long ago about the fact that we often find things that are more conducive to our needs, quite by accident, when we're actually looking for something else.

So placing any definition of greatness itself aside, the considerations made for the purpose of definition of greatness are themselves up for grabs. It's a paradox in itself.

That probaly sounds confusing. And probably overly-wordy. Apologies in advance.

Last edited:
Honor, wisdom, doing all you reasonably can to help others every hour of every day.
You cannot be a mensch and honestly be humble about it. Who does it hurt to be proud
of your honor and integrity?
Humility is meaningless because so many have so much to be humble about.

thanks, you all. i gotta do something right now, but i'll try to get back to this later.

Forum List

Back