What Changed His Mind?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I was just thinking about this since today is Good Friday. The solider who pierced Jesus' body with his sword and discovered that He was truly dead what suddenly made him realize that He actually was the Son of God? I mean doesn't blood come out of all of us when our body is cut?

Well, remember he witnessed everything, most likely including the events of the night before, he saw the followers of Jesus, he heard their testimonies, he may have even overheard what Jesus said to the thief on the cross. Not to mention the immediate change in weather and the atmosphere of the earth the instance Jesus drew His last breath.

Most importantly, the Holy Spirit moved on his heart, that's probably the key to your question.

• Banned
Most importantly, the Holy Spirit moved on his heart, that's probably the key to your question.

That's what I originally thought, but I wasn't sure if something in particular happened.

I was just thinking about this since today is Good Friday. The solider who pierced Jesus' body with his sword and discovered that He was truly dead what suddenly made him realize that He actually was the Son of God? I mean doesn't blood come out of all of us when our body is cut?
Was it blood? That's not my understanding. Of course that has no bearing on the answer to your question.

When they came to Jesus, He was already dead so they did not break His legs (John 19:33). Instead, the soldiers pierced His side (John 19:34) to assure that He was dead. In doing this, it is reported that “blood and water came out” (John 19:34), referring to the watery fluid surrounding the heart and lungs.

The heavy fall and/or flagellation may have caused a pulmonary contusion with hemothorax and, likely cardiac contusion. This could explain the abundant flow of blood and water from the chest when the spear was thrust after death, and may support the hypothesis of death from myocardial infarction (see below).​

Blood didn't come out of him, water did.
Also at the moment Christ gave up the ghost, there was an earthquake and thunder I do believe. The floor of the temple cracked.
It would make a believer out of me, too. I think it probably made believers out of most of the people present, except those directly under the thrall of Satan himself.

what suddenly made him realize that He actually was the Son of God?
It was what happened in the moment before Jesus’ death that appears to have convinced this watching centurion. Just before He breathed His last, Jesus, we read, “uttered a loud cry.” This was not the way it usually happened. Victims of crucifixion in most instances weakened gradually, drifted into unconsciousness, died a lingering death. Jesus died with a shout. He spoke with force, almost triumph. It was as though He had decided when it was time to die, committed Himself into God’s hands, and consciously breathed His life out, breathed it away. It was then that the awestruck soldier said, “Truly this man was the Son of God!”

And if that isn't enough....

54 When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!”

• Banned
Then I guess The Passion is in fact inaccurate because lots of blood was coming out of Him then. Like ding stated in post five, both came out.

Forum List

Back