What a Catholic Mom Wants the Pope To Learn from Her Rabbi Daughter

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Ia am sure Jeri will now attack this

When the Pope looks out on the adoring crowds in Philadelphia, I hope he can see future recruits in the faces of the mothers and daughters. I hope he can see what has been happening on the Jewish Reform front since 1972, when Sally Priesand, a determined young woman from Cleveland, became the first American female rabbi. I hope he can see my daughter.

What a Catholic Mom Wants the Pope To Learn from Her Rabbi Daughter - Opinion

I really like Pope Frances even though I am not a catholic, he is making changes and is so humble.
But your right why can't there be a Pope Frances that is a woman?
I feel while the very old catholics die and younger ones grow up we will continue to see change.

When the Pope looks out on the adoring crowds in Philadelphia, I hope he can see future recruits in the faces of the mothers and daughters. I hope he can see what has been happening on the Jewish Reform front since 1972, when Sally Priesand, a determined young woman from Cleveland, became the first American female rabbi. I hope he can see my daughter.

Tell the RC Mon to become a Jew then and her daughter can rabbi her.

I really like Pope Frances even though I am not a catholic, he is making changes and is so humble.
I feel while the very old catholics die and younger ones grow up we will continue to see change.

What Catholics like about this Pope is that he got the media's attention long enough to inform them of Catholic teachings that have been in place for many decades. The Pope isn't changing Catholicism, he is teaching non-Catholics about Catholicism.

The Catholic Church has always followed the tradition set by Jesus: Male priesthood, perhaps, but women (from the beginning) deeply involved in all its ministries. Catholic women (or most of them) don't feel the need to take over everything or to prove anything. We (or most of us) are content with the construct Christ provided.

One of the things the mother of the Jewish Rabbi and people in non-Catholic Christian denominations may need reminded of: Women can do anything in a Catholic Church that rabbis and ministers of other faiths and denominations do.

Catholic priests have a responsibility that goes beyond the responsibilities in any other faith.

What Catholics like about this Pope is that he got the media's attention long enough to inform them of Catholic teachings that have been in place for many decades. The Pope isn't changing Catholicism, he is teaching non-Catholics about Catholicism.

The Catholic Church has always followed the tradition set by Jesus: Male priesthood, perhaps, but women (from the beginning) deeply involved in all its ministries. Catholic women (or most of them) don't feel the need to take over everything or to prove anything. We (or most of us) are content with the construct Christ provided.

One of the things the mother of the Jewish Rabbi and people in non-Catholic Christian denominations may need reminded of: Women can do anything in a Catholic Church that rabbis and ministers of other faiths and denominations do.

Catholic priests have a responsibility that goes beyond the responsibilities in any other faith.

My 99 year old aunt straight from Italy was a devout Catholic and loved pope Frances because he doesn't act like well a snobby old priest who deserves to have his feet kissed everyday... She found him to be very humble~

whom are you addressing, Penelope?

Everyone reading this and that includes you, its my opinion.

My 99 year old aunt straight from Italy was a devout Catholic and loved pope Frances because he doesn't act like well a snobby old priest who deserves to have his feet kissed everyday... She found him to be very humble~

I've never met any snobby old priest--just lucky in that regard, perhaps! What I like about Pope Francis is that he is the epitome of many of the parish priests I have had the fortune to know. If anyone would like to know what the average Catholic priest (at least in America) is like, Pope Francis is an excellent example.

Your opinion on what the pope should learn? To tell a catholic woman to
convert to Judaism ?? That's innovative.

If she doesn't like the RC religion get the hell out of it. Since here daughter is a rabbi, best she become a jew.
I hope the Pope tells her that.

I've never met any snobby old priest--just lucky in that regard, perhaps! What I like about Pope Francis is that he is the epitome of many of the parish priests I have had the fortune to know. If anyone would like to know what the average Catholic priest (at least in America) is like, Pope Francis is an excellent example.

Me neither, they have all been very nice. Your right.

If she doesn't like the RC religion get the hell out of it. Since here daughter is a rabbi, best she become a jew.
I hope the Pope tells her that.

he won't. I doubt that the pope reads this messageboard------

[QUOTE

meriweather

rosie what teachings??

rosie Jesus was a priest? what construct did jesus provide?

rosie----like what? I am asking-----to what are you referring with the
"do anything" phrase? you don't need a priest
for "mass" or a baptism or a wedding? rabbis
don't actually DO anything -----Long ago I had a little
part time job during college years in a large hospital---
so large that it had three resident priests ----(not a church
affiliated hospital) When one of the patients hit the
"critical list"-----if it was a catholic---it was my job to FIND
a priest. ------not just any catholic male or female---it had
to be a PRIEST for LAST RITES -----the phrase struck
terror in my heart------like it was an EMERGENCY more
serious than CODE RED (cardiac arrest)

Catholic priests have a responsibility that goes beyond the responsibilities in any other faith.[/QUOTE]

rosie>>> really ----what is that?

rosie (1) what teachings??

rosie (2) Jesus was a priest? what construct did jesus provide?

rosie (3) like what? I am asking-----to what are you referring with the

rosie 4) >>> really ----what is that?

(1) Choose anything you believe is a new teaching by Pope Francis. I'll show it is nothing new or different.

(2) Catholics believe Jesus was a priest in the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews, Chapters 5 and 7) Jesus chose twelve male apostles, the twelve a pattern inclusive of the tribes of Israel (Jacobs twelve sons).

(3-4) Priests have the responsibility of administering the Sacraments. The Twelve Apostles were the witnesses of Christ and his involvement in the sacraments during his life on earth. Neither Jews nor other Christian denominations hold any belief of Sacraments.

For Catholics, our priests are successors of the Twelve who were first-hand witnesses to the Sacraments as Christ practiced them while he was on earth. Christ chose twelve males who in turn represented the twelve sons of Jacob who in turn comprised all of God's people (the Twelve Tribes).

If sons and male apostles are passe to other faiths and denominations, they are not to Catholics. Just as Jacob's twelve sons and Jesus' twelve apostles never negated the importance and contributions of daughters and women, Catholics (or most of us) do not see continuing in this tradition an insult to anyone. In other words, Catholic women do not believe in downtrodden men (and male roles) anymore than Catholic men believe in downtrodden women. He made us male and female to honor each other.

rosie (1) what teachings??

rosie (2) Jesus was a priest? what construct did jesus provide?

rosie (3) like what? I am asking-----to what are you referring with the

rosie 4) >>> really ----what is that?

(1) Choose anything you believe is a new teaching by Pope Francis. I'll show it is nothing new or different.

rosie----I did not suggest that Frances has taught anything---nothing new
and nothing old

(2) Catholics believe Jesus was a priest in the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews, Chapters 5 and 7) Jesus chose twelve male apostles, the twelve a pattern inclusive of the tribes of Israel (Jacobs twelve sons).

rosie-----even I know that catholics believe that Jesus is an avatar of
"god" -----the one UP there. Melechzekek has nothing to do
with it--------the writers of the NT ascribed the role "apostle" to
12 people-----a few of whom never met Jesus

(3-4) Priests have the responsibility of administering the Sacraments. The Twelve Apostles were the witnesses of Christ and his involvement in the sacraments during his life on earth. Neither Jews nor other Christian denominations hold any belief of Sacraments.

rosie----wrong again------DA SACRAMENTS are simply ceremonies ----
largely lifted from Judaism -----which is why Martin Luther the Nazi
pig----hated them so much According to you my very own hubby
does the "HOLY MASS" (lol) every Friday evening-----bread and wine.
Baptism is a dip in the mikveh etc etc Every religion does some sort
of ceremony. Hindus have really elegant ceremonies----in fact some
require a BRAHMIN

For Catholics, our priests are successors of the Twelve who were first-hand witnesses to the Sacraments as Christ practiced them while he was on earth. Christ chose twelve males who in turn represented the twelve sons of Jacob who in turn comprised all of God's people (the Twelve Tribes).

Luke never met Jesus and could not have been a "witness"----the
"mass" is done in Hebrew and Luke spoke greek

are you a nun,, meriweather?

Reform isn't Judaism, and Women aren't Rabbis. Get it through your head fake Jew. Leftist Jews will soon be outnumbered. Its only a matter of time. The orthodox have many ..many more babies then the leftist:cool:

No, but I had an aunt who once seriously considered becoming a nun. :smile: Does that count?

you seem to know the catholic THING------by rote-----and now for some discussion---
that 12 apostle thing------should never have made it into the NT-------it is so DAMNED
obviously dumb. Constantine DEPENDED on illiteracy-----and the catholic church
depended on keeping the OT on the list of -----"books not to read"

you seem to know the catholic THING------by rote-----and now for some discussion---
that 12 apostle thing------should never have made it into the NT-------it is so DAMNED

I do a lot of research. For example, the Catholic Church made sure the Bible and the Old Testament were in every church, with someone available not only to read it, but to teach it. The only Bibles the Church ever objected to were those which were poorly translated. Look it up (original sources, not Protestant Reformation propaganda of a later date).

While Twelve Apostles may seem obviously dumb to you, the Twelve Tribes (and restoring them) had significant meaning at that time.

No, but I had an aunt who once seriously considered becoming a nun. :smile: Does that count?

You have no clue of anything. The Catholic Church has built schools, high schools, colleges, and law schools all over the world.

Don't talk if you're ignorant of the topic.

Forum List

Back