Were Most Of America's Founding Fathers - Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked you to cut and paste from this forum, thread and posts exactly what I wrote that you consider to be absurd. IT IS THE ONLY way I can respond directly to you on this matter and present you with the facts.
Or, you can do the work yourself, read the comment in context with the comments it was in response to.

You have an axe to grind, go ahead and grind it. Posts from over 8 years ago certainly can be used, but to what end. You can state your opinion and recieve replies, instead if trying to force 8 year old posts into your narrative.

And why must you include, "white", when you express yourself. Is the color of people important?

The color is important if you wish to stereotype and denigrate partucular people.

You are trolling, so get to your points.

You have an axe to grind, go ahead and grind
Why do you flip the page from substance, context, historical data and documentation of the facts, the writings of the founding generation, simply being rational, and plain old common sense to question my motive, means and methods, and format.

Do what you want but I find your need for those distractions reveal a lot about you.

And why must you include, "white", when you express yourself. Is the color of people important?
NFBW: Christianity was brought to the New World’s thirteen original colonies by white Protestant Christians under the Protestant Christian banners of the Kings of England.

There was a revolution against that white Christian monarchy that, by default, was a revolt against the centuries old concept that Kings are Representatives of the Biblical God of Judeo-Christian organized religion.

I am therefore pointing to the fact that the American Revolution and founding of America was mostly a matter of dispute, war and then resolution between white Europeans primarily of British descent.

Now, today, Christian’s in the black church community on the Democrat side and during my lifetime, worship and pray to the same exact Jesus as white Christians on the Republican side. However there is an undeniable divergence on the necessity of declaring America as founded by Christians and for Christians when it wasn’t. Why do Black and Liberal Christians see no need to apply the label “Christian Nation” to the country in the way that Trump Christians insist so strongly that America was founded as a Christian nation.

The truth that white Christian nationalists shy away from is that if America was founded as a Christian Nation, the full and honestly accurate truth needing to be presented is that America was actually founded as a white Protestant Christian nation and that is important to be remembered even though it cannot be proven to be true. END2210031041

Last edited:
The color is important if you wish to stereotype and denigrate partucular people.
I am not stereotyping or denigrating anyone because of their race. I am arguing the point that America was not founded by Christians and for Christians and should not be labeled as a Christian nation. Race is part of the discussion and should not be left out. See Post #543

Last edited:
Or, you can do the work yourself,
The only thing I can do myself is accept your refusal to not indicate what you’ve read from me to be absurd is to conclude that you don’t have anything

Last edited:
Yes, we know, our foubding was on christianty by christians.
NFBW: who is the “we” that “knows” our founding was on Christianity by Christian’s. Our first five President’s biographies tell me that America was founded as a freedom of conscience nation by leaders who were rational theists regarding religion. 2210031131

You can state your opinion and recieve replies
I prefer to state opinions backed by facts. replies backed by facts are hard to come by. I get a lot of replies pertaining to format and motive and complaining. I really wish I could get some replies backed by some facts.

I prefer to state opinions backed by facts. replies backed by facts are hard to come by. I get a lot of replies pertaining to format and motive and complaining. I really wish I could get some replies backed by some facts.
I wish you knew enough to have a discussion without a cut/paste of an editorial or revisionist fiction you find by searching google for websites aligned with your opinion.

I gave you answers. Sorry you do not like the facts.

Why do you flip the page from substance, context, historical data and documentation of the facts, the writings of the founding generation, simply being rational, and plain old common sense to question my motive, means and methods, and format.

Do what you want but I find your need for those distractions reveal a lot about you.
Hahaha, nice rant, not relevant to me, I have told you, anytime you are ready present your idea and we can have a discussion.

This is the 2nd post of yours not addressing whatever point you wish to make.

You are again, trolling, nothing more.

, x d,vvxvd,xzd,NFBW: Christianity was brought to the New World’s thirteen original colonies by white Protestant Christians under the Protestant Christian banners of the Kings

of England.
More of the, "white", labels. You certainly sound extremely biased and hateful.

Christianity, the history of, is much more nuanced then you have proclaimed.

With you being so biased and making such a broad statement about christianity, I can see there really is nothing to discuss.

Your premise is wtong, in this paragraph. You continually set up false premises.

The pilgrims were not from england so we can begin with that fact.

There was a revolution against that white Christian monarchy that, by default, was a revolt against the centuries old concept that Kings are Representatives of the Biblical God of Judeo-Christian organized religion.
another false premise, so wrong but you keep trying

Your premise makes the Boston Tea Party a protest against religion

Wrong again you are

I am therefore pointing to the fact that the American Revolution and founding of America was mostly a matter of dispute, war and then resolution between white Europeans primarily of British descent.
Fiction based on fact. More of your denigration of white people.

Thank god christians founded a nation on the simple principle that all men are created equal which was the turning point in history that led to the end of slavery.

Why is it that black people did not create a nation that ended slavery for the world.

Why is it that the red people did not end slavery?

What about the yellow or brown people, why did they not end slavery?

It was the WHITE christian founders of our cointry that ended slavery.

I am not stereotyping or denigrating anyone because of their race. I am arguing the point that America was not founded by Christians and for Christians and should not be labeled as a Christian nation. Race is part of the discussion and should not be left out. See Post #543
Well, you are wrong. Read what the founders wrote, read what the founders did and how they lived and you will find you are completely wrong.

Race? You can make race part of the discussion, and when you do, or before you go further, explain why the other races did not found a nation that ended slavery.

More of your denigration of white people.
Please cite where you think I denigrate white people in the following:

I am therefore pointing to the fact that the American Revolution and founding of America was mostly a matter of dispute, war and then resolution between white Europeans primarily of British descent

Thank god christians founded a nation on the simple principle that all men are created equal which was the turning point in history that led to the end of slavery.
Jefferson was not a Christian. What makes you think he was? Jefferson was a rational theist who rejected with his heart, mind, and soul, for his entire adult life that Jesus Christ was the son of god who died on the cross and then rose from the dead in order to save all the souls of all mankind who ceremonially drink his blood and eat his first or ask for forgiveness in Jesus name. It would be hard to define any of the first five Presidents as Christians which included Monroe.

1832 James Renwick Willson, a Reformed Presbyterian minister in Albany, New York, criticized Monroe for having "lived and died like a second-rate Athenian philosopher".[135]
[135] "Prince Messiah's Claims to Dominion Over All Governments". Covenanter.org. Archived from the original on July 5, 2010. Retrieved April 20, 2010​
On the subject of the evil thus sanctioned by the highest human authority in this nation, Mr. Jefferson, in his Notes on Virginia, pp. 240-1, makes the following, among other very impressive observations:—"The whole commerce, between master and slave, is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submission on the other."—"The man must be a prodigy who can retain his manners and morals, undepraved by such circumstances."—"Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure, when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?"—"That they are to be violated but with his wrath?" The following sentiment, though a thousand times quoted, will bear to be many times yet repeated:—"Indeed, I tremble for my country, when I reflect that God is just; and that his justice cannot sleep forever; that considering numbers, nature and natural means only, a revolution of the wheel of fortune, an exchange of situation is among probable events: that it may become probable by supernatural interference. The Almighty has no attribute which can take part with us in such a contest."—"With what execration should the statesman be loaded, who permitting one half the citizens thus to trample on the rights of the other, transforms those into despots, and these into enemies, destroys the morals of the one part, and the amor patriae of the other?" Twelve states do all this now, solemnly, deliberately, and under the forms of law. The convention that framed the National Constitution have done this. The United States Congress, Senate, and Executive, have been doing this, for more than forty-four years. They have thus dishonored Messiah the Prince, who is the friend of liberty; for he came to "proclaim Liberty to the captive, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound."

These moral evils embodied in the doctrines of the fundamental law of the empire, have produced practical results, over which every true disciple of Christ, and Christian patriot, will mourn.

1st. Ungodly men have occupied, and do now occupy, many of the official stations, in the government.[5] The clause of the Constitution, barring all moral qualifications, has not been a dead letter. There have been seven Presidents of the United States—and of each of them it may be said, as Jehovah says of the kings of Israel, after the revolt of the ten tribes, "He did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord."

Washington was raised up, in the providence of God, like Cyrus of Persia, and qualified for great achievements.—He was an able captain, and an instrument of much temporal good, as a statesman. Few, if any, prominent men, in any nation, have been endowed by the common gifts of the Spirit, with more ennobling qualities than the first President of this nation. His fame fills the civilized world. It is to the honor of the Protestant Religion, that this country produced such a man. What was Bolivar compared with Washington? All this praise may be awarded to one who, like the amiable young man in the gospel, "went away from Jesus sorrowful, because he had great possessions."

There is no satisfactory evidence that Washington was a professor of the Christian religion, or even a speculative believer in its divinity, before he retired from public life.[6] In no state paper, in no private letter, in no conversation, is he known to have declared himself a believer in the Holy Scriptures, as the word of God. General eulogy, by a Weems, or a Ramsey, will not satisfy an enlightened enquirer. The faith of the real believer in the word of God, is a principle so powerfully operative, that you cannot conceal "its light under a bushel." "It works by love." "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh." Is it probable that he was a true believer in Jesus Christ and his Bible, when in times so trying, and in a Christian nation, he wrote thousands of letters, and yet never uttered a word, from which it can be fairly inferred that he was a believer? Who ever questioned whether Theodosius or Charlemagne believed the Bible? "He that is not against us is for us." And it is as true, that he who is not for us, is against us.

Washington did pray, it is said, in secret, on his knees, during the battle of Brandywine. That may be true, and yet, like Thomas Paine, who is known to have prayed, he may have been an unbeliever. Is it probable that he would have attended balls, theatres; and the card table, had he been a disciple of Christ? Rousseau, an avowed infidel, has said more in honor of Christ, than is known to have been uttered by Washington. He was a slave holder, which was doing "evil in the sight of the Lord." His Sabbaths were not spent as the "fearers of the Lord" enjoy that holy day. His death, as recorded by Dr. Ramsey, is much more like a Heathen Philosopher’s, than like that of a Saint of God.

He was President of the convention, that voted the name of the living God out of the Constitution. His influence was great among the members of that body. Had he taken part with Dr. Franklin, in the attempt to have an acknowledgment of God inserted in the Constitution, they could hardly have failed of success. The conviction forces itself upon us, that that act of national impiety, was done with the approbation of Washington. It is to his everlasting dishonor, that he is not known to have opposed that insult offered to the Lord God, who had made him so great and successful a captain.

While President, in Philadelphia, his habit was to arise and leave the church, when the Sacrament of the Supper was dispensed. After the Rev. Dr. Abercrombie had preached a faithful sermon against the evil example thus set by the President of the United States; Gen. Washington remarked, that he would not set such an example for the future; and from that time, he did not attend church on the Sabbath, in which the Lord’s Supper was dispensed.

When the several classes of citizens, were addressing Washington, on his retirement from office, the clergy, who doubted his Christianity, resolved to frame an address, so that he could not evade, in his reply, an expression of his faith, if he were really a believer. He did, however, evade it, and the impression left on the mind of one of the clergy, at least, was that he was a Deist.

Mr. Jefferson, affirms that Washington was a Deist. To be ashamed of Christ, which no one can reasonably doubt he was, is infidel. He did not set an example of godliness, before the nation, over which in the Providence of God, he was made President.

The Cabinet which Gen. Washington chose, indicates that he was not a fearer of the Lord. Mr. Hamilton, his Secretary of the Treasury, was an unchaste man, and died by a duel. Mr. Jefferson, his Secretary of State, was an avowed infidel, who mocked at every thing sacred. You know men by their society. Among the members of the first Cabinet of the Federal Executive, vital godliness would have been mocked at as fanaticism. Which of the heads of departments prayed in his family daily? Which of them sanctified the Lord’s day, by abstaining from worldly conversation, company, and business? The practical piety of the Bible, as exhibited in [Thomas] Boston’s Fourfold State,[Jonathan] Edwards on [Religious] Affections, and [Alexander] McLeod on True Godliness, had she been introduced to the inmates of Washington’s Palace, would have been derided as a fanatic.

Washington was succeeded by Mr. John Adams, a lawyer of some distinction, who wrote and published an elaborate work on the Federal Constitution. He is the only President of the United States who has, in a public document, so far as the writer recollects, acknowledged Jesus Christ. In his proclamation of a fast, he invites the nation to seek the favor of heaven, "through the Redeemer."

He sealed his Unitarianism, at the communion table of Dr. Joseph Priestly, the Socinian, in Philadelphia, while he was Secretary of State. He had been a constant hearer and admirer of Priestly, for some time before he ratified, at his Sacrament, the rejection of Messiah’s Godhead.[7]

Mr. Jefferson, the successor of Mr. Adams, was an avowed infidel, and notoriously addicted to immorality. To the common decency of Washington’s or Adams’ moral deportment, he had no pretensions. His Notes on Virginia contain very satisfactory evidence, that the author, when he composed that work, was an enemy to revealed religion, and a virulent foe to the Church of God. Had the people of the United States known the immorality of his private life, and the scorn with which he treated the religion of Jesus; it is surely impossible that he could have been elected to the first office in their gift.[8]

Mr. Jefferson’s successor, Mr. Madison, was educated by godly parents, with a view to the Ministry of reconciliation. He commenced the study of Theology, under the care of Dr. Witherspoon, President of Princeton College, where he attended a prayer meeting of the pious youth of that Seminary, who were preparing for the Holy Ministry.

When he returned from Princeton to his fathers house in Virginia, Mr. Jefferson was a young village lawyer, who had attracted the notice of the neighborhood, by his regular business habits, in collecting debts, drawing indentures, &c.

Madison, to the grief of his parents, abandoned the study of Theology, and entered the office of the infidel and libertine Jefferson, as a student of law. Though Mr. Madison has pledged himself neither in public nor private, to the belief of Christianity, yet he is not known to have employed his influence, like Jefferson, in attempts to abolish the Christian Faith. The value of a religious education is strikingly illustrated the private character of James Madison. Jefferson probably made him a deist, and yet his moral deportment, as it regards the second table of the law, has been respectable. All the influence of the infidel creed, and the profligacy of morals about court, have not been of sufficient force to demolish utterly the fabric of a religious education. For the honor of the country, we may hope that he will not contrive to die on the 4th of July.

Mr. Monroe lived and died like a second rate Athenian Philosopher.

Mr. John Q. Adams and Gen. Jackson are yet in public life. Compare their characters with those of Hezekiah and Josiah, "fearers of the Lord" who reigned over Israel, and there will be little difficulty in estimating the amount of holiness which they practice in the fear of the Lord. No Federal Cabinet, since the first formed, has given any more evidence of the fear of the Lord, than did that of Washington.

Some state governors have been professors of the Christian religion. But in too many instances, the state Cabinet has resembled, in irreligion, that of the Federal Government.

There have been seven governors of Pennsylvania, and the same number of New York. Their characters have been generally analogous to those of the Presidents. One in Pennsylvania, and two in New York, are believed to have been possessors of religion. The heads of departments in the federal government, have been with very few exceptions, destitute of all pretensions to the character of fearers of the Lord. In the session of Congress 1829-30, no more than seven out of three hundred and nine members of Congress could be prevailed on to meet and pray together. The Patron of this city [Albany, NY], whose character as an exemplary Christian is well known, informs the writer of these pages, that when he was in Congress the number of praying members was greater; so that there is an increasing degeneracy.

So unusual is practical religion among public men, that to many it would seem ridiculous, for a Governor to pray in his family evening and morning. Can anything have a more malign influence on the cause of vital godliness than that statesmen, and officers of the Army and Navy, who are avowedly irreligious, and even profane swearers, card players, Sabbath breakers and libertines are the constant themes of eulogy? The collision of the factions, indeed, begins to render public men objects of distrust. If we believe one half of what the public journals assert, respecting the baseness of the leading politicians—if but a little of all that is uttered by such men as Berrien, Branch, Ingham, &c. respecting their compeers is true, there is a most scandalous degradation of moral principle among those who should be emphatically "the fearers of the Lord"—the exemplars of religion, and the conservators of social virtue. Every patriot, who knows how low the state of morals is at the seat of the general government, blushes for his country; while the genuine disciple of Christ, "sighs and cries for all the abominations that be done," (Ezek. 9:4) in the City of Washington, and at the capitals of the several states.

How rare are such statesmen as the exemplary Governor Vroom of New Jersey! the late Governor Crafts, and the present Governor Palmer of Vermont! Such Statesmen shine as bright lights amidst the surrounding darkness. They are not ashamed in the private walks of life, nor in public documents, to acknowledge themselves the disciples of Christ Jesus and the subjects of Messiah the Prince.

2. The Unitarian heresy through the influence of Mr. Adams, has prevailed extensively in New England; and Deism in the southern states, through that of Mr. Jefferson.

When Mr. Adams was elected to the Presidency, there was not one of the Congregational ministers of the New England states known to be a Unitarian.[9] By the connexion of Mr. Adams with Dr. Priestly, the books of Arians and Socinians, were placed in the University of Boston. That the President patronized these heresies, was enough to recommend them to multitudes of thoughtless young men. Harvard University in Boston, with very ample revenues, supports more than twenty professors, who are all Unitarian. It has the command of a printing press, which diffuses Unitarian literature over the whole nation. The counters of the bookstores in Boston groan with heretical publications. The majority of the general court, or legislature of the state of Massachusetts, is believed to have been for several years Unitarian. The officiating chaplains have been Unitarian. We have no statistics of the Unitarian clergy; for they are connected with the Congregational convention of the State of Massachusetts; and found in the associations of the New England states; but we cannot estimate too high their number by setting it down at two hundred.—They are rapidly increasing.

It is no fancy, no idle imagination, to trace this great declension of the Puritan churches of Boston and its vicinity, to the malign influence of a Socinian President. Jeroboam set up calves at Dan and Bethel, and his idolatry continued, until the dispersion of the ten tribes. The New England heretics "have not departed From the sin of Jeroboam, the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin."

Deism prevailed long, and still prevails in the southern states. As the luxuriant opulence of Boston, derived from her trade with the Indies, prepared her for the reception of Unitarianism; so the demoralizing influence of slavery in the south, paved the way for the spread of Deism from the populace by Mr. Jefferson.

His Notes on Virginia, and the conversations, which a President of his talents and popularity held with his special friends, could not fail to corrupt the southern people. His gross blasphemies which he prepared for posthumous publication, and which his grandson, Mr. Randolph, has published in his life, were retailed from year to year, during his whole life, after his return from France. The power and reputation of the President operated as a premium for embracing infidelity.

It is true that of late years the name of Unitarianism, has been worn as a mask by the infidels of the south. But Deism lives and flourishes under the shade of Jefferson’s name.

3. Other heresies and errors increase in all parts of the nation, producing violent strifes and fierce passions, even in the bosoms of the several denominations of Christians. Those who hold the ancient and pure truths of the gospel, and desire to apply them faithfully as their fathers have done, are reproached as bigots, by those who have adopted more convenient creeds, for the purpose of flattering the depravity of human nature, and of paying court to the ungodly great.

4. The morals of the citizens are becoming more and more corrupt. Boston is nearly as immoral as ancient Tyre was. How are the mighty fallen! The writer of these pages, in the year 1815, in traveling from Albany to Boston, and from Boston to New-Haven, does not recollect to have seen one person in a state of intoxication, nor to have heard more than two or three profane expressions.

In 1821, only six years afterwards, making a tour through New England, from Hartford to Northampton, thence to Boston, and through Rhode Island and Connecticut, he believes that he heard profane swearing, and saw indications of intemperance at every public house, where he called.

The Sabbath is very grossly and scandalously violated in all parts of the United States. It is true, the federal and state legislatures, and the courts of justice, do yet adjourn, on the Lord’s holy day. But how do the officers of the government spend their Sabbaths? Which of them reads the Holy Scriptures, "spending the whole time in the public and private exercises of religion?" [Westminster Confession of Faith, XXI, 8]. The transportation of the mails, the opening of the post-offices, and the diffusion of political and other secular intelligence, profane the Sabbath, and corrupt the public mind. The bustle of steamboats and canal navigation, and traveling by stages and railroad cars, have nearly divested the Lord’s day of the appearance of holiness. Few, very few, hesitate to travel by steamboats and canal packets on Sabbath. Not a few professors of religion, and—O shame!—some ministers of the gospel, with shameless front, travel on the Lord’s day for mere secular objects. But we must not wonder, however much we regret, that those professing Christians who flatter vile men high in places, will copy their example in trampling under foot the holy day, which has been consecrated by the authority of God to religion. During less than fifty years that this government has been in operation, the sin of drunkenness has prevailed and increased, to an extent that has filled with alarm all good men.

To arrest these and other evils, great efforts are made by the friends of Christian morality. Much has been done to instruct the public in relation to the claims of the Sabbath, and other institutions of heaven, upon all classes of the citizens. They have not, however, done much more than to stay a little the progress of irreligion.

5. To support all the immoralities embodied in the United States, and other Constitutions, those who enter on nearly all civil offices, and the Professors in many literary institutions, in Pennsylvania, particularly, take solemn oaths. Where is the man, who believing as perhaps nearly all the citizens of the northern states do, Negro slavery to be a moral evil, would lift up his hand and swear to recognize, and support, and aid men in the commission of this sin? If the nation is chargeable with guilt in this matter, the sin surely rests on all who bind themselves by oaths to support those Constitutions, in which the evil is embodied. The oath comprehends the evil, as well as the good in the instrument.—The moral evils entering into the principles of the fundamental law of the commonwealth, ramify through nearly all the political transactions of the nation.—Thousands commit this sin without a moments reflection. Some, indeed, do reflect, and say, there are immoralities in the Constitution, but it makes provision for its own amendment; therefore, I swear to the evils, intending to procure their reform. But what is this? The thing sworn to is a sin. May anyone swear to support sin for one moment? This is doing "evil that good may come,"—"whose damnation," says God, "is just." Rom. 3:8. Let all the fearers of the Lord, all who love to honor the Lord Jehovah and his holy law—all who honor and adore Prince Messiah, reflect on the fearful fact, that nearly all the men who enter on the discharge of their official functions, are qualified for those public offices, by swearing an oath that involves what is contrary to the law of God, the rights of man, and the honor and glory of Him who is King of kings and Lord of lords.

The extent of this evil is not a little changed by the consideration that the people who elect them to office choose them as their representatives, to swear in the name of their constituents, these immoral oaths. It is a maxim of law, "quod facit per alium, facit per se." He that does any act by his delegate, is accountable for the act as his own. The spectacle, then, is presented of a whole nation, at their annual election, choosing men to swear as their representatives, to an instrument that involves moral evils.

Last edited:
The First Seven Rational Theist Presidents as recalled by Doctor of Divinity Janes R Wilson in 1832 / Highlights from this essay:

byJAMES R.WILLSON, D.D.FORMER PASTOR OF THE REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN CONGREGATION OF ALBANY, NOW PROFESSOR OF THEOLOGY IN THE SEMINARY OF THE REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH IN CINCINNATI

"Until the Messiah the Prince, shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks."—Daniel."Jesus Christ—Prince of the kings of the earth."—John.

First published inALBANY, N.Y.Packard, Hoffman and White,1832.

CINCINNATI:pRINTED BY SMITH AND CHIPMAN,CORNER OF FOURTH & WALNUT STREETS.1848.

ESSAY ONETHE BIBLE CLAIMS OF MESSIAH TO AUTHORITY OVER ALL GOVERNMENTS

On the subject of the evil thus sanctioned by the highest human authority in this nation, Mr. Jefferson, in his Notes on Virginia, pp. 240-1, ……. (On Slavery)

The convention that framed the National Constitution have done this. The United States Congress, Senate, and Executive, have been doing this, for more than forty-four years. They have thus dishonored Messiah the Prince, who is the friend of liberty; for he came to "proclaim Liberty to the captive, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound."

These moral evils embodied in the doctrines of the fundamental law of the empire, have produced practical results, over which every true disciple of Christ, and Christian patriot, will mourn.

1st. Ungodly men have occupied, and do now occupy, many of the official stations, in the government.[5] The clause of the Constitution, barring all moral qualifications, has not been a dead letter.

There have been seven Presidents of the United States—and of each of them it may be said, as Jehovah says of the kings of Israel, after the revolt of the ten tribes, "He did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord."

Washington was raised up, in the providence of God, . . .
It is to the honor of the Protestant Religion, that this country produced such a man. . . . There is no satisfactory evidence that Washington was a professor of the Christian religion, or even a speculative believer in its divinity, before he retired from public life.[6] In no state paper, in no private letter, in no conversation, is he known to have declared himself a believer in the Holy Scriptures, as the word of God. . . . Is it probable that he was a true believer in Jesus Christ and his Bible, when in times so trying, and in a Christian nation, he wrote thousands of letters, and yet never uttered a word, from which it can be fairly inferred that he was a believer? . . . Rousseau, an avowed infidel, has said more in honor of Christ, than is known to have been uttered by Washington. . . . His Sabbaths were not spent as the "fearers of the Lord" enjoy that holy day.
. . . . His death, as recorded by Dr. Ramsey, is much more like a Heathen Philosopher’s, than like that of a Saint of God. . . . . He was President of the convention, that voted the name of the living God out of the Constitution. . . . . While President, in Philadelphia, his habit was to arise and leave the church, when the Sacrament of the Supper was dispensed. . . . . . When the several classes of citizens, were addressing Washington, on his retirement from office, the clergy, who doubted his Christianity, resolved to frame an address, so that he could not evade, in his reply, an expression of his faith, if he were really a believer. He did, however, evade it, and the impression left on the mind of one of the clergy, at least, was that he was a Deist. . . . . Mr. Jefferson, affirms that Washington was a Deist. To be ashamed of Christ, which no one can reasonably doubt he was, is infidel. He did not set an example of godliness, before the nation, over which in the Providence of God, he was made President. . . . . The Cabinet which Gen. Washington chose, indicates that he was not a fearer of the Lord. Mr. Hamilton, his Secretary of the Treasury, was an unchaste man, and died by a duel. Mr. Jefferson, his Secretary of State, was an avowed infidel, who mocked at every thing sacred. You know men by their society. Among the members of the first Cabinet of the Federal Executive, vital godliness would have been mocked at as fanaticism. Which of the heads of departments prayed in his family daily? Which of them sanctified the Lord’s day, by abstaining from worldly conversation, company, and business?

Adams: He sealed his Unitarianism, at the communion table of Dr. Joseph Priestly, the Socinian, in Philadelphia, while he was Secretary of State. He had been a constant hearer and admirer of Priestly, for some time before he ratified, at his Sacrament, the rejection of Messiah’s Godhead.

Jefferson: Mr. Jefferson, the successor of Mr. Adams, was an avowed infidel, and notoriously addicted to immorality.

To the common decency of Washington’s or Adams’ moral deportment, he had no pretensions.

His Notes on Virginia contain very satisfactory evidence, that the author, when he composed that work, was an enemy to revealed religion, and a virulent foe to the Church of God.

Had the people of the United States known the immorality of his private life, and the scorn with which he treated the religion of Jesus; it is surely impossible that he could have been elected to the first office in their gift.[8]

Madison: Mr. Jefferson’s successor, Mr. Madison, was educated by godly parents, with a view to the Ministry of reconciliation.

Madison, to the grief of his parents, abandoned the study of Theology, and entered the office of the infidel and libertine Jefferson, as a student of law.

Though Mr. Madison has pledged himself neither in public nor private, to the belief of Christianity, yet he is not known to have employed his influence, like Jefferson, in attempts to abolish the Christian Faith.

The value of a religious education is strikingly illustrated the private character of James Madison.

Jefferson probably made him a deist, and yet his moral deportment, as it regards the second table of the law, has been respectable.

All the influence of the infidel creed, and the profligacy of morals about court, have not been of sufficient force to demolish utterly the fabric of a religious education.

Monroe: Mr. Monroe lived and died like a second rate Athenian Philosopher.

END2210032803

Last edited:
Fiction based on fact. More of your denigration of white people.

Why is it that black people did not create a nation that ended slavery for the world.

Why is it that the red people did not end slavery?

What about the yellow or brown people, why did they not end slavery?

It was the WHITE christian founders of our cointry that ended slavery.
Imagine if those Christian Founders had listened to Jesus:
"This is the greatest and the first commandment. And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets.”
"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

Slavery would never had happened in this Christian Nation, n'est-ce pas?

Let me add a bit from John Adams.
John Adams

2nd U.S. President and Signer of the Declaration of Independence

"Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be."
--Diary and Autobiography of John Adams, Vol. III, p. 9.

NFBW: Let me add a bit from Christian Worldview Press founded by Matt McClellan.

Was John Adams a Christian?​

Category: Theology JULY 25, 2013​

Was Adams a Believer in Jesus Christ?

All of this makes it sound like John Adams was a Christian. He clearly had a mind that followed many Christian principles, and I believe that many American Christians probably would have found themselves comfortable to be around Adams. However, when one looks closely at Adams’s own writings you will discover that he was, in fact, not a Christian.

Let me start with his thinking on Jesus. His beliefs about the person of Jesus Christ were clearly not Biblical. Fea notes that Adams failed the “orthodoxy” test miserably and “[e]ven as he referred to himself as a Christian in his personal writings and letters, Adams was well aware of the fact that his religious beliefs were ‘not exactly conformable to that of the greater Part of the Christian World.’”[9]

Adams noted that his religious convictions could be summed up by John 5:29: “But after all that has been said of doctrines, they only who have done good shall come forth to the resurrection unto life, and they only who have done evil to the resurrection of damnation.”[10] In 1816, he told Thomas Jefferson that it was the Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount that contained his religion.[11] The problem is, of course, 1 John 3:22-23 specifically says that to obey God and do good deeds is to not only love one another, but to believe in the name of Jesus Christ. It is impossible to do good in God’s sight if you do not believe in Jesus.

Adams could not accept the deity of Jesus Christ or that he died for the sins of the world. Adams said, “An incarnate God!!! An eternal, self-existent omnipresent [everywhere] omniscient [all-knowing] Author of this stupendous Universe suffering on a Cross!!! My Soul starts with horror, at the Idea.” The idea that a “finite Being” like Christ making “Satisfaction to infinite justice for the sins of the world” was absurd. These teachings, according to Adams, were not originally part of the Gospel, but were created by the early Church who “understood” Jesus.[12]

This is very similar to what Jefferson believed about Jesus. Romans 10:9 says that to be saved a person must believe that Jesus is Lord, and that he rose from the dead. To say that Jesus is Lord is to affirm that he is the God of the Old Testament in the human form.

Adams also denied the Trinity. He thought that the Trinity violated the First Commandment. This made Adams a Unitarian. A Unitarian believes that God is one, not three. Unitarians believed that God could only be understood through reason. The Trinity cannot be understood by human reason so it must be false. “As a man deeply influenced by the Enlightenment, he could not tolerate any form of religion that seemed to contradict the dictates of reason.” In this way, he was no different than Jefferson.[13]

Adams also rejected the Biblical teaching of original sin and total depravity. By doing this he rejected the very foundation of the Gospel. Jesus came to earth and died for our sins because of original sin – the teaching that Adam and Eve were perfect until they sinned against God. He believed that humans do sin, but not that they were pure evil (in contrary to numerous Scriptures – Genesis 8:21; Romans 3:9-20). He was a believer in Enlightenment thought that humanity will improve and progress. He also did not like the idea that great thinkers in history, for example, Plato, Cicero, and others, were in hell because they rejected Christ. Note that these “great thinkers” were pagans.[14]

Was Adams a Deist?

Some claim that Adams was a deist, the belief that a god created the world, leaves it alone, and performs no miracles. Adams was clearly no deist. He believed that God had intervened in history to overthrow the tyrannical authority that the Catholic Church had held for centuries on Europe. (Adams had a much better attitude towards Protestant Christianity.) He also thought that God always fought for freedom (like in the United States).[15]

Fea says that Adams “was convinced that God was a patriot” and that he was on the side of American progress. “If colonists were not virtuous and continued in their sin, God would not bless their pursuit of independence.”[16] He once said, “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”[17]

This is a strange argument for Adams to make since he believed that God could not be known.[18] If God cannot be known, then how can Adams know that God is a patriot and that he always fights freedom? Adams was a man of his time (the Enlightenment), and because of this a good God had to be on the side of those who believed in reason. Essentially Adams (and others like him) created God in their own image.

Conclusion

John Adams was not a Christian since he rejected the deity and atoning work of Christ. Instead, he was someone who picked out from the Bible what he liked and agreed to, and rejected the things that a “reasonable” people did not like.

Although he was a “moral” person in the eyes of man, he was “immoral” in the eyes of God. END2210031858

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be great if we had a Congress, White House, and Supreme Court full of John Adams. We'd be the most prosperous, generous, and blessed nation on earth (in my personal opinion).
NFBW: That would be fine with me knowing Adams was not Christian during the founding and therefore would not be a Trump Christian Today.

Was John Adams a Christian?​

Category: Theology JULY 25, 2013​

Christian Worldview Press founded by Matt McClellan​

Was Adams a Believer in Jesus Christ?

All of this makes it sound like John Adams was a Christian. He clearly had a mind that followed many Christian principles, and I believe that many American Christians probably would have found themselves comfortable to be around Adams. However, when one looks closely at Adams’s own writings you will discover that he was, in fact, not a Christian

Conclusion

See Post: #558 for more:

John Adams was not a Christian since he rejected the deity and atoning work of Christ. Instead, he was someone who picked out from the Bible what he liked and agreed to, and rejected the things that a “reasonable” people did not like.

christianworldviewpress.com

Was John Adams a Christian?

Was President John Adams a believer in Jesus Christ? Sadly, the answer is no.

Although he was a “moral” person in the eyes of man, he was “immoral” in the eyes of God. END2210031949

Last edited:
explain why the other races did not found a nation that ended slavery.
NFBW: I agree white men founded our nation that ended slavery. The truth is, contrary to the falsehoods you cherish, the white men who were founders & chosen by the population to be the first seven presidents, were not Christians. END2210032132

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back