USMB Coffee Shop IV

Fun with my vehicle today. Was going to hook up boat to go fishing and Jeep cut out and was loss of all power including dash, dome lights, everything. Spent an hour checking wiring, YouTube and websites for any idea. Battery of course is under the electric passenger seat that I could barely access since the seat wouldn't move forward. Battery was good and multi- meter had power at the fuse box.
Was really scratching my head.
Finally just disconnected battery for ten minutes for a hard reset and when I reconnected all the power came back.
Weird. Seems fine now.

Hopefully this past month is now in our personal history book and is done with. We finally got to see our car and so sad, really beat up, collision damage, two flat tires, interior completely trashed, and they found so much fentanyl residue as well as other potent drugs inside they wouldn't even let us open the doors, much less retrieve any personal items. Big huge BIOHAZARD written all over it. Even our tag was gone--the thieves replaced it with a tag from another stolen car so say the police.

So USAA told us we could keep our rental car until they could get our money to us for the total loss and then we would have seven days to get new wheels before the rental contract would be up.

We spent most of yesterday at the E.R. with Aunt Betty and Hombre misjudged a turn in the hospital's torn up parking lot and hit a curb blowing out a tire and damaging the rim just a bit. Enterprise didn't think the rim was going to be expensive to fix--they would replace the tire--USAA wrote it up as a minor collision claim but we needed to turn in the VW Atlas for repairs--beautiful car but huge and not for everyday driving for us. And because USAA has been so great through all this--we would recommend them to ANYBODY--we elected not to take another rental car but just took money out of our rather meager savings and bought a car. Got a good deal at our Subaru dealership. USAA should get our money to us within the next few days.

So maybe it's all done. I know compared to what a lot of you have been facing, our problems are quite minor, but it has all been very stressful for us. And I pray it's over.
Subaru seems to have developed some very safe collision-avoidence features on an ad I've seen several times lately. I hope all cars in the future will eliminate all human errors in this country.

Cars take more lives than guns in this country. Some poorly-Planned highways that exist today had no input from safety engineers who now populate many state highway construction and patrol offices. It's a new day coming in this nation if we can clean up the streets to make death by car a thing of the past. I wouldn't mind being around long enough to see my youngest grand nieces and nephews experience the first year of zero automobile accidents on the highways and biways of America! :thup:

Fun with my vehicle today. Was going to hook up boat to go fishing and Jeep cut out and was loss of all power including dash, dome lights, everything. Spent an hour checking wiring, YouTube and websites for any idea. Battery of course is under the electric passenger seat that I could barely access since the seat wouldn't move forward. Battery was good and multi- meter had power at the fuse box.
Was really scratching my head.
Finally just disconnected battery for ten minutes for a hard reset and when I reconnected all the power came back.
Weird. Seems fine now.

It's crazy how often 'turn it off and back on' works with electronics. :dunno:

Subaru seems to have developed some very safe collision-avoidence features on an ad I've seen several times lately. I hope all cars in the future will eliminate all human errors in this country.

Cars take more lives than guns in this country. Some poorly-Planned highways that exist today had no input from safety engineers who now populate many state highway construction and patrol offices. It's a new day coming in this nation if we can clean up the streets to make death by car a thing of the past. I wouldn't mind being around long enough to see my youngest grand nieces and nephews experience the first year of zero automobile accidents on the highways and biways of America! :thup:
All models of Subaru always make the list of safest small and midsized cars, crossovers, SUVs etc. And our newest acquisition has all the special safety features, i.e. anti-lock brakes, anti-collision, 'eyes' on all sides warning that we're too close or whatever. At our age this is all comforting, but of course nothing is 100% security. I would say that our risk of injury or death via firearm is so small as to not be any kind of concern. But we're in an automobile at least several times a week at much higher risk. But that's life. We don't worry about it a lot.

All models of Subaru always make the list of safest small and midsized cars, crossovers, SUVs etc. And our newest acquisition has all the special safety features, i.e. anti-lock brakes, anti-collision, 'eyes' on all sides warning that we're too close or whatever. At our age this is all comforting, but of course nothing is 100% security. I would say that our risk of injury or death via firearm is so small as to not be any kind of concern. But we're in an automobile at least several times a week at much higher risk. But that's life. We don't worry about it a lot.
Maybe the tv scene of the vehicle stopped itself before crashing with another car stimulated my wishful thinking, but I would like to think smart vehicles would be ending vehicular accidents and especially vehicular homocides from drunk, dying, or disoriented human beings beings someday. I worked for the highway department in Wyoming for a year and grew fond of the work the Safety engineer was doing to make sure highway planning eliminated thoughtless highway construction and eliminated "safety objects that actually caused fatalities from rails with stubs that in reality were the cause of fatalities when cars went out of control on highways that became sheet ice when rainy days preceded cold fronts from arctic winds. The engineering task was to locate the antique killing devices and replace them with with safer rails with no blount ends left to take another life. His career saved lives. Some other states still have blount antiques on the roadside that are seldom subject to snow or even ice storms due to tropical or even slightly subtropical weather. Warmer climates have their benefits.

'Scuse my rambling prattle this morning. I didn't put coffee on my shopping list....

Maybe the tv scene of the vehicle stopped itself before crashing with another car stimulated my wishful thinking, but I would like to think smart vehicles would be ending vehicular accidents and especially vehicular homocides from drunk, dying, or disoriented human beings beings someday. I worked for the highway department in Wyoming for a year and grew fond of the work the Safety engineer was doing to make sure highway planning eliminated thoughtless highway construction and eliminated "safety objects that actually caused fatalities from rails with stubs that in reality were the cause of fatalities when cars went out of control on highways that became sheet ice when rainy days preceded cold fronts from arctic winds. The engineering task was to locate the antique killing devices and replace them with with safer rails with no blount ends left to take another life. His career saved lives. Some other states still have blount antiques on the roadside that are seldom subject to snow or even ice storms due to tropical or even slightly subtropical weather. Warmer climates have their benefits.

'Scuse my rambling prattle this morning. I didn't put coffee on my shopping list....
It was explained to me that technology exists to build pretty much totally safe automobiles--protected cocoons in which occupants are impervious to crashes, bombs, or whatever. The problem is that the cost would be so high--the President's 'beast' costs in excess of $1.5 million--that only a handful of people could afford one. It would bust us back to horse and buggy days and people got killed even in those.

Found this, thought I'd share...........

149721.jpg

:lol:
Hey Ringel, I envy you your antique gun collection. I see England has brought in new laws to control the ownership of antique guns, as well as the long existing laws against any handguns. The new laws are complicated and If you have the wrong type of gun from next September you can get ten years in prison. So that ends my plans to buy antique firearms.

Hey Ringel, I envy you your antique gun collection. I see England has brought in new laws to control the ownership of antique guns, as well as the long existing laws against any handguns. The new laws are complicated and If you have the wrong type of gun from next September you can get ten years in prison. So that ends my plans to buy antique firearms.
We have a couple of Brits on the muzzleloading forum and they talk about how expensive it is, even more so if you want to buy one outside of the British Isles and have it shipped to their locations.
Even here one has to be careful with certain types of firearms. I ordered an AR15 lower rifle receiver (which the ATF considers "the gun") and a 10.5" barrel upper....... Realized almost two weeks later my mistake, can't match those two. Any rifle barrel under 16" is considered a pistol and cannot be matched with a rifle stock (except percussion revolvers). Now I could apply for a SBR (short barrel rifle) permit, pay the $200 tax stamp and wait up to 9 months for an approval or disapproval but I don't want to do that. The upper arrived at my house yesterday and I sent it back yesterday on the way to my FFL to pick up the lower. I also ordered a proper 16" upper for it. I used to own a SKS rifle which I sold years ago but still have maybe a thousand rounds of 7.62x39 ammo, now I'll have something to shoot it out of.

We have a couple of Brits on the muzzleloading forum and they talk about how expensive it is, even more so if you want to buy one outside of the British Isles and have it shipped to their locations.
Even here one has to be careful with certain types of firearms. I ordered an AR15 lower rifle receiver (which the ATF considers "the gun") and a 10.5" barrel upper....... Realized almost two weeks later my mistake, can't match those two. Any rifle barrel under 16" is considered a pistol and cannot be matched with a rifle stock (except percussion revolvers). Now I could apply for a SBR (short barrel rifle) permit, pay the $200 tax stamp and wait up to 9 months for an approval or disapproval but I don't want to do that. The upper arrived at my house yesterday and I sent it back yesterday on the way to my FFL to pick up the lower. I also ordered a proper 16" upper for it. I used to own a SKS rifle which I sold years ago but still have maybe a thousand rounds of 7.62x39 ammo, now I'll have something to shoot it out of.
Ha ! such things as dreams are made of. I used to have a flintlock pistol, and a percussion single shot pistol, and a percussion revolver, and a pepper box pistol. But I sold them all years ago. Just as well because I am not sure if they are legal now. Anyone who owns an antique gun in England now has until September to find out if it is going to be illegal, and either get a license or dispose of the gun before it becomes law. Since nobody is going to buy a gun that will become illegal in a couple of months lots of people will be up the creek. They may have to give the guns to a museum.

Ya'll might want to hang onto any ammo unless it's illegal of course. We replenished our supply of .22 & .38 caliber recently and my gosh it's gotten expensive and hard to find. I'm thinking ammo may become currency like gold and silver. :)

Ya'll might want to hang onto any ammo unless it's illegal of course. We replenished our supply of .22 & .38 caliber recently and my gosh it's gotten expensive and hard to find. I'm thinking ammo may become currency like gold and silver. :)
It will still be bad for a little while but things are already starting to ease up some as more and more people go back to work. I give it another year until we get back to pre - toilet paper apocalypse levels of production.

It will still be bad for a little while but things are already starting to ease up some as more and more people go back to work. I give it another year until we get back to pre - toilet paper apocalypse levels of production.

I hope that's true when it comes to silicon/chips. I wanted to buy a video card from the prior generation when the current gen came out. Now I'm hoping I might be able to get a deal on something from the current gen when the NEXT gen comes out. :confused:

Forum List

Back