USMB Coffee Shop IV

I love cats, but my 5-year old cat disappeared two weeks ago when I sent her outside to go potty. I'm worried that a snake got her, because we've had a lot of snakes trying to get into the chicken coops, so my pistol I bought a couple of years ago has been put to the purpose of getting rid of snakes. Since I have failed to learn how to use the darn thing (I really don't like guns), one of my friends' 40-year-old sons killed snakes every morning before feeding time for all of last week. Now, he's gone and I am stuck with needing to go to the local shooting range and see if some one will teach me gun safety. I'm too old for this, but I don't know how to get rid of snakes except to buy a couple of horses. Someone told me snakes can't stand the smell of horse patties. I don't know what to do to keep the snakes out of the coop. They want to eat my hens.

MOTS, get yourself some nice kitty food for me, give it to your kitties, and I'll consider it a gift to the memory of my precious girl cat, Piccolo. I think that even though I found no trace of her on my property, she's in a better place now than around here. I had no idea she would disappear when put out to go potty. Her disappearance was almost immediate, imho. :(
A pistol is not the best weapon to kill snakes, because you have to be a good shot. I recommend a shotgun: shotgun cartridges come with various sized pellets, from bird shot to larger sized shot for animals. But birdshot would be quite adequate to take care of snakes.

I love cats, but my 5-year old cat disappeared two weeks ago when I sent her outside to go potty. I'm worried that a snake got her, because we've had a lot of snakes trying to get into the chicken coops, so my pistol I bought a couple of years ago has been put to the purpose of getting rid of snakes. Since I have failed to learn how to use the darn thing (I really don't like guns), one of my friends' 40-year-old sons killed snakes every morning before feeding time for all of last week. Now, he's gone and I am stuck with needing to go to the local shooting range and see if some one will teach me gun safety. I'm too old for this, but I don't know how to get rid of snakes except to buy a couple of horses. Someone told me snakes can't stand the smell of horse patties. I don't know what to do to keep the snakes out of the coop. They want to eat my hens.

MOTS, get yourself some nice kitty food for me, give it to your kitties, and I'll consider it a gift to the memory of my precious girl cat, Piccolo. I think that even though I found no trace of her on my property, she's in a better place now than around here. I had no idea she would disappear when put out to go potty. Her disappearance was almost immediate, imho. :(

Beautress, just Google "How to keep snakes out of the chicken coop" or out of the yard and you'll see many many snake repellant products. Bear in mind that some people say they don't work but there's so many of them I wonder about that. A couple of you tube videos demonstrated that once they get used to them, the snakes ignore the solar vibration and buzzing kinds of repellents. But it might be worth a look. Most can be ordered on Amazon. (Be sure to check to see if they're toxic for your pups and kitties and other wildlife though.)

There is a kind of low fencing with a curve at the top to keep snakes from crawling over it that you can put around the chicken coop.

And. . .

Pufado Snake Repellent for Yard Powerful, Keep Snake Away Repellent for Outdoors, Snake Repellent for Outdoors Pet Safe, Snake Repellant Outdoor and Home, Yard Snake Out Repellant Effectively- 8 Packs (It wouldn't let me copy the photo but these are pellets you place around the chicken coop or yard or whatever. You can't stand guard with a rifle, handgun, or shotgun all the time so a gun isn't your best choice to protect the chickens.)

th
th

Last edited:
i wish I could have a real cup of java with a real person

but I can't find anyone who thinks/believes like I do... came close a few times but... fate intervened or whatever..

The Bosco Verticale towers in Milan, Italy demonstrating how even large plants can be effectively incorporated into urban living. I've read that the architect designed it that way.

350490322_227014110059136_1064120337296067604_n.jpg
wow, that's beautiful

all apts should look something like that :)

i wish I could have a real cup of java with a real person

but I can't find anyone who thinks/believes like I do... came close a few times but... fate intervened or whatever..
You know, I have been watching your posts for awhile and, while there are likely lots who share your general ideology, nobody is going to think/believe exactly as you do. For sure I've never met anybody who thinks/believes exactly as I do.

But there's lots of people I can enjoy having a cup of coffee with.

But in truth, even though Hombre (my hubby) is often close by, I do better just having my coffee in emotional solitude in the mornings. I think I'm not much of a morning person and I'm probably a lot easier to live with when i can do that. :)

Hey Fox was just wondering if this would be somethin you are anything at all interested in doing. I have decided I am not going to come to these boards and discuss poiltics anymore and im tired of the sports section as well. too many trolls in both of those sections that just ruin threads so this is about the only place left i can be free of them. i dont know if i want to post here though if you or nobody else has an interest in this though.

here is the proposition,if i post a video of a song would you rate it on scale of 1 to four and tell me how you liked it? before doing so i would of course ask you if you like this music artist and their songs,no sense in posting a song of someone you dont like,that just makes sense.

so are you game? if not,i understand,its just a thought.if its something you have no interest in,no worries.i come here because nobody even in the music section incredibly has an interest in it.:uhoh3:

Hey Fox was just wondering if this would be somethin you are anything at all interested in doing. I have decided I am not going to come to these boards and discuss poiltics anymore and im tired of the sports section as well. too many trolls in both of those sections that just ruin threads so this is about the only place left i can be free of them. i dont know if i want to post here though if you or nobody else has an interest in this though.

here is the proposition,if i post a video of a song would you rate it on scale of 1 to four and tell me how you liked it? before doing so i would of course ask you if you like this music artist and their songs,no sense in posting a song of someone you dont like,that just makes sense.

so are you game? if not,i understand,its just a thought.if its something you have no interest in,no worries.i come here because nobody even in the music section incredibly has an interest in it.:uhoh3:
I just think most of us are too random and hit and miss in posting and there's just too many different topics here in the Coffee Shop for it to gain much momentum friend. Many of us do post songs that we think are especially pertinent to a specific topic being discussed or one or two that especially touched us or maybe is just funny, but I do think the music forum would be the place for your idea if there are enough people who might be interested.

Would I want to take the time to do that on a regular basis? Probably not. I am pulled in too many directions already.

It's not a bad idea at all though and I would think there are some who would enjoy doing that.

Last edited:
How is everyone? Glorious weather in Europe, daylight still at 10 pm, summer festivals coming up everywhere.

I’m half way through my treatment, and after that l’ll be going on a course of anti bodies, every three weeks. But they’ll stretch it to four, so l can go to Cyprus. I’m doing okay on it, though l can’t get my head round all those chemicals swirling around, when no cancer is there. I’m sure Ringel will ‘get’ it. But the doctor explained that it’s a sort of prevention tactic. Like building a moat around me. If only one rogue cancer cell was floating around in the bloodstream, this treatment would target it and destroy it.

Aside from all that, it’s certainly opened my eyes to what goes on around me, and what other people are going through. There are all ages in the oncology dept of the hospital. Yesterday I saw a young girl come in for stomach injections, instead of infusions.

I read yesterday that one in two of us will get cancer at some stage in our lives. :(

How is everyone? Glorious weather in Europe, daylight still at 10 pm, summer festivals coming up everywhere.

I’m half way through my treatment, and after that l’ll be going on a course of anti bodies, every three weeks. But they’ll stretch it to four, so l can go to Cyprus. I’m doing okay on it, though l can’t get my head round all those chemicals swirling around, when no cancer is there. I’m sure Ringel will ‘get’ it. But the doctor explained that it’s a sort of prevention tactic. Like building a moat around me. If only one rogue cancer cell was floating around in the bloodstream, this treatment would target it and destroy it.

Aside from all that, it’s certainly opened my eyes to what goes on around me, and what other people are going through. There are all ages in the oncology dept of the hospital. Yesterday I saw a young girl come in for stomach injections, instead of infusions.

I read yesterday that one in two of us will get cancer at some stage in our lives. :(
Well glad you are able to enjoy and appreciate life despite all those chemical Mindful. I have a beloved niece going through that. Chemo and some surgery zapped her small cell lung cancer that had spread to her brain but she now has regular infusions which, as you described, are intended to zap any stray cancer cells and so far she has been cancer free and living a normal life for a couple of years now.

It was a rough ride for her but she remembers the quitting smoking cold turkey as the hardest part of it. She sure recommends everybody stop smoking though. :)

Well glad you are able to enjoy and appreciate life despite all those chemical Mindful. I have a beloved niece going through that. Chemo and some surgery zapped her small cell lung cancer that had spread to her brain but she now has regular infusions which, as you described, are intended to zap any stray cancer cells and so far she has been cancer free and living a normal life for a couple of years now.

It was a rough ride for her but she remembers the quitting smoking cold turkey as the hardest part of it. She sure recommends everybody stop smoking though. :)

Luckily, l had no metastasis.

I just think most of us are too random and hit and miss in posting and there's just too many different topics here in the Coffee Shop for it to gain much momentum friend. Many of us do post songs that we think are especially pertinent to a specific topic being discussed or one or two that especially touched us or maybe is just funny, but I do think the music forum would be the place for your idea if there are enough people who might be interested.

Would I want to take the time to do that on a regular basis? Probably not. I am pulled in too many directions already.

It's not a bad idea at all though and I would think there are some who would enjoy doing that.
I’m afraid there won’t be any takers though here,facebook would be the place fir me to find those kinda people thst have that same passion.I’m sure.

Hi all. It seems most everyone is doing well and whatever was going on with my stomach has almost gone. Still slightly touchy though. The silver lining is not only am I eating much better I'm not doing my Hobbit meals....... Ya know, breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, lunch, etc........ ;) Now a bowl of soup fills me up, a half a sandwich pretty much does the same. It's also helped in that I'm down 30 pounds from my heaviest weight, granted I was already losing weight before the stomach went wonky on me.

Forum List

Back