USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hi all. It seems most everyone is doing well and whatever was going on with my stomach has almost gone. Still slightly touchy though. The silver lining is not only am I eating much better I'm not doing my Hobbit meals....... Ya know, breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, lunch, etc........ ;) Now a bowl of soup fills me up, a half a sandwich pretty much does the same. It's also helped in that I'm down 30 pounds from my heaviest weight, granted I was already losing weight before the stomach went wonky on me.
Since I lost my gallbladder and developed some troubling issues, I've changed my eating habits too and am enjoying a much healthier diet and sometimes lifestyle.

I do get really irritated at you guys though. Hombre can think about losing weight and drop 5 pounds. For me to lose even a pound requires tremendous effort. I'm not complaining. It is what it is. (But it isn't fair. :) )

Since I lost my gallbladder and developed some troubling issues, I've changed my eating habits too and am enjoying a much healthier diet and sometimes lifestyle.

I do get really irritated at you guys though. Hombre can think about losing weight and drop 5 pounds. For me to lose even a pound requires tremendous effort. I'm not complaining. It is what it is. (But it isn't fair. :) )
I used to say I'd gain weight just by smelling food......... It took about six months to really start loosing the weight and I was already down 25 pounds when this stomach problem hit. I'll just keep at it and continue to loose weight, even when I have to work through the inevitable plateau.

346817153_128189980230722_7581586051981936152_n.jpg

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

They say eating 4 or 5 ice cubes with a squeezed lemon (no sugar) before retiring will change your energy clock or something, and that people have lost their goal of shedding 20 pounds or a hundred pounds over a few weeks.

Coffee is really good this morning. :thup:
1686056740475.jpeg
images
images
1686057111625.jpeg
images
images
images
images
images

Last edited:
Hombre's Facebook post today:
On this day, June 6th,1944, American soldiers stormed onto the beaches of Normandy.......let's not forget!!
1,465 Killed, 1,928 Missing, 13,564 Wounded.
Totals, including follow up activity until July 1st:
2,811 Killed, 5,665 Missing, Wounded 135,674, and 79 Taken Prisoner.
I wonder what all of these brave men, who died and suffered for their country, would think about what's happening in their America today? Myself, I think they would be very disappointed.

(Foxfyre's observation: this might look like it is more political than we generally allow in the Coffee Shop but it is 100% non partisan and non specific re any group or ideology so I allowed it without protest. hope everybody agrees.)

Last edited:
Hombre's Facebook post today:
On this day, June 6th,1944, American soldiers stormed onto the beaches of Normandy.......let's not forget!!
1,465 Killed, 1,928 Missing, 13,564 Wounded.
Totals, including follow up activity until July 1st:
2,811 Killed, 5,665 Missing, Wounded 135,674, and 79 Taken Prisoner.
I wonder what all of these brave men, who died and suffered for their country, would think about what's happening in their America today? Myself, I think they would be very disappointed.
I heard an interview with one of the still living vets earlier...If it gets posted in any of the places I monitor, it'll be passed along.

I heard an interview with one of the still living vets earlier...If it gets posted in any of the places I monitor, it'll be passed along.
One of my uncles was in the invasion I think of Utah Beach where casualties were light compared to Omaha Beach. Career military he managed to get through WWII without a purple heart but was nearly fatally injured as a Master Sergeant in Korea. Those injuries sent him home and almost certainly contributed to his earlier than normal death years later.

My father was in that landing 15 days after finishing 16 weeks of Basic Training. A shocking introduction to war for a 29 yea old recruit.
My Aunt Betty's husband already had his pilot license when he graduated high school and he didn't even wait to go through the graduation ceremony but immediately joined the Marines with intent of being an aviator. He wasn't sent to England though but was assigned to the Pacific theater. Qualified as a fighter pilot but their planes were reassigned meaning though the base was attacked at times, he was not in active combat otherwise and served on base his time in the service. He felt cheated he never got to fly in combat but he went on to be a career commercial airlines pilot until they mandatory retired him.

Another of my mom's sisters married a bomber pilot who made many bombing runs over Germany but I don't think he was involved in D Day. I'm not sure about that though.

Last edited:
At 29, he would have been "gramps" to the rest of the troopers.
They were scraping the bottom of the barrel by then. He was drafted at 29 with 2 kids and was working at Martin Aircraft in Middle River, Maryland as a welder of B-26 bombers. My mother worked there too and she said all the men who were drafted were replaced by women. Those were desperate times for America.

They were scraping the bottom of the barrel by then. He was drafted at 29 with 2 kids and was working at Martin Aircraft in Middle River, Maryland as a welder of B-26 bombers. My mother worked there too and she said all the men who were drafted were replaced by women. Those were desperate times for America.
That's for sure. Rosie the riveter was not just a myth but representative of thousands of women who took over when the men went to war.

And everybody did what they could for the war effort and nobody whined or complained when butter and rubber for tires and meat and so many many things were either not available or severely rationed.

Last edited:
Good night, afternoon, morning wherever you are darlinks. I really do love you guys. May the Coffee Shop always be a virtual family for those who need or enjoy one here.

And we pray or send positive thoughts or keep vigil for:

Harper, the inspiration for the vigil list. Another surgery coming up.
Nosmo King for healing and health & wholeness.
Big Black Dog for the very best treatment and outcome for the rest of his days.
Gracie for solutions and peace.
Ringel for continued wellness and his brothers' families for relief from adversity and illness.
Hombre & Foxfyre's son for continued wellness & their nephew dealing with ALS.
Beautress's friend Ken for healing and wellness.
Dale Smith for quality of life.
Boedicca's nephew for healing/adversity and baby Emma for healing and full recovery.
Mindful for successful preventative therapy.
SFC Ollie for healing and wellness

And we keep the light on so others who have been away can find their way back and we hope they will.

This time of year the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery seems even more significant.
8e196131e43aad3c1d4df4976edb48de.jpg

Forum List

Back