USMB Coffee Shop IV

Jif is ongoing a recall for salmonella.

Salmonella??? I just opened that jar before I left for hospital.

Fortunately my skating friends in the US, posted this link. Scroll down and it has the expiry dates and batch numbers for the contaminated Jif.

One of my friends got sick a couple of weeks ago while waiting to go on an overseas trip. Now her house sitter has the same symptoms. They check the batch number on their Jif and sure enough. My jar isn’t on the list.

Oh teh Horreur! This means mr. boe gets his way. He prefers Skippy.

;)
Hombre doesn't care actually. If it says peanut butter on the label somewhere it's all the same to him. :) And I buy the cheapest acceptable brand or what is on sale so I guess I'm not too picky. I've always particularly enjoyed Peter Pan though.

Greetings,
Back for a visit. I'll have to read back a few pages, I guess.
Vis-a-vis peanut butter recalls: more salmonella and other food-borne illnesses can be traced to peanut butter than raw milk. Personally, I buy the type of peanut butter that includes peanuts. That limits my choices but I really do try to stay away from "peanut spreads" and those that include sugar or other additives. Some grocery stores actually provide a mill that will make fresh peanut butter on site.
Otherwise, there is so much going on right now that I am pretty exhausted by it all. So much to process and so little I can do to improve the situation.
I'm still commuting to my airport job and although glad I invested in a hybrid auto to do this, I still have to pay close to $60 for a fill up on a 10 gallon tank of gas. This is actually a pretty disgusting situation. Not even ready to talk about food costs. And the attitude of our so-called public servants is beyond tolerance.
But enough of that for now. I'm hoping that you all are doing well and are getting into your summer season. I still miss you guys. I'll try to come back again later. Thanks to Gracie for letting me know to keep looking for y'all. The look has changed again.

Greetings,
Back for a visit. I'll have to read back a few pages, I guess.
Vis-a-vis peanut butter recalls: more salmonella and other food-borne illnesses can be traced to peanut butter than raw milk. Personally, I buy the type of peanut butter that includes peanuts. That limits my choices but I really do try to stay away from "peanut spreads" and those that include sugar or other additives. Some grocery stores actually provide a mill that will make fresh peanut butter on site.
Otherwise, there is so much going on right now that I am pretty exhausted by it all. So much to process and so little I can do to improve the situation.
I'm still commuting to my airport job and although glad I invested in a hybrid auto to do this, I still have to pay close to $60 for a fill up on a 10 gallon tank of gas. This is actually a pretty disgusting situation. Not even ready to talk about food costs. And the attitude of our so-called public servants is beyond tolerance.
But enough of that for now. I'm hoping that you all are doing well and are getting into your summer season. I still miss you guys. I'll try to come back again later. Thanks to Gracie for letting me know to keep looking for y'all. The look has changed again.
Always good to hear from you GW and know that you're still doing well.

Salmonella??? I just opened that jar before I left for hospital.

Fortunately my skating friends in the US, posted this link. Scroll down and it has the expiry dates and batch numbers for the contaminated Jif.

One of my friends got sick a couple of weeks ago while waiting to go on an overseas trip. Now her house sitter has the same symptoms. They check the batch number on their Jif and sure enough. My jar isn’t on the list.
My Brother got a jar on the list from a food pantry.

My Brother got a jar on the list from a food pantry.

I hope everyone in the family is OK. My friend was quite ill, but she didn't know why, and would never have thought of the peanut butter. It wasn't until their house sitter had the same symptoms, and the recall was announced, that they put it together and checked the batch numbers.

Three weeks after knee replacement surgery, I walked into the hospital today with a cane. I thanked everyone on the surgeon's team for all they had done for me. Few drugs, little pain, and rehab that has me self-sufficient on my own.

I've concluded that the nerve blockers are the key. My skating friend had her knee replaced last year. She was in far worse shape than me, and needed a brace full time. This year, she's hiking, and she's joined a dragon boat team. She had the same experience with recovery and pain that I'm having, and we both had nerve blockers.

There was a news report from Toronto this weekend that broke my heart.

24 people were arrested, 2 people were shot, one was stabbed. Woodbine Beach is in my old Toronto neighbourhood. We went to Woodbine Beach every year for the fireworks as part of my birthday celebrations. My daughter and her family joined us. Our youngest was still at home. This is the first time since 2019 that they've had the fireworks. The last time we attended in 2013, there was a bit of rowdiness, which made my oldest slightly nervous. Her boys were young. Kids lighting fireworks on the beach, but it all ended when the show started, and no violence at all.

This isn't a sketchy neighbourhood. The Beach is one of the most trendy expensive neighbourhoods in Toronto. We lived within walking distance of the park, but west of Woodbine Avenue which is considered the boundary line for the Beach. We called it the Beaches - there are several. My daughter attended ballet classes at Kew Beach, a few blocks east of Woodbine Beach.

The crazy isn't just happening in the USA, but everywhere.

5 28 coffee break.jpg

Memorial weekend Sunday.....The favorite for old motorheads like me...

First the Monaco Grand Prix..

a6a99b37e0e129e8b16b33e0ce912eeb.jpg

then Indy 500...

1000087.jpg

Hope y'all enjoy them at least half as much as I do. :)
Are you strictly an Indy car fan or do you follow Nascar too? I honestly don't follow either all that closely and don't think about watching most of the time. But when I do start watching, I can feel the allure. You get caught up in it, it becomes sort of mesmerizing & you pick your favorite(s) and almost will them to move up through the pack. That's fascinating to somebody who compulsively analyzes human nature. :)

My 95-year old aunt loves going to the movies. She enjoys all our movie days at our house on our big screen TV but she loves being in the theater with a massive screen, wraparound sound, all of it. So today we're taking her to "Top Gun: Maverick" at the theater. And I was just thinking how wonderful to be excited about going to see a movie at age 95. Inspiration for all of us.

Last edited:
My 95-year old aunt loves going to the movies. She enjoys all our movie days at our house on our big screen TV but she loves being in the theater with a massive screen, wraparound sound, all of it. So today we're taking her to "Top Gun: Maverick" at the theater. And I was just thinking how wonderful to be excited about going to see a movie at age 95. Inspiration for all of us.

My best wishes to you all on Memorial Day. My father and my three older brothers all served in our armed forces. My father served overseas in WWI. My much older brothers all served in WWII, but the youngest enlisted when he was 16. Although all three had close calls, and my oldest brother was wounded on Juno Beach on D-Day, they all came home.

I've missed going to the movies so much since moving to a small town with no movie theatre. There's a multiplex in Welland. One of my friends and I planned on going to the movies once a month when the lockdowns ended, but no sooner did the theatres re-open when I got the call for my surgery. Three more weeks. I have to be able to leave the walker behind before we can go.

I long to see Top Gun on a giant screen with a big box of buttered popcorn. The IMAX Screen at the Paramount in Toronto would do it. The original Top Gun opened in Toronto at the University Theatre on Bloor Street in Toronto - the biggest screen in Canada. We saw it opening weekend, and it lived up to the hype. The flying/dogfights in this one are said to be even more spectacular.

It's French Open Season. 3 Canadians made it to the round of 16, 2 to the quarter-finals, and Layla Fernandez is through to the semi-finals and is the highest seeded woman left in the draw. The Jays are in 3rd place in the East, one game behind Tampa, and 5 and a half games back of the now slumping Yankees. My friends are chatting back and forth about all the sports and life in general. It helps keep me sane as the weather gets better and better.

The Landlord is appealing the County's work order, and the County has invited me to attend the hearing. They'll even arrange transportation for me to attend. With any evidence I might have.

New Topics

Forum List

Back