USMB Coffee Shop IV

Coffee - problems.jpg

My best wishes to you all on Memorial Day. My father and my three older brothers all served in our armed forces. My father served overseas in WWI. My much older brothers all served in WWII, but the youngest enlisted when he was 16. Although all three had close calls, and my oldest brother was wounded on Juno Beach on D-Day, they all came home.

I've missed going to the movies so much since moving to a small town with no movie theatre. There's a multiplex in Welland. One of my friends and I planned on going to the movies once a month when the lockdowns ended, but no sooner did the theatres re-open when I got the call for my surgery. Three more weeks. I have to be able to leave the walker behind before we can go.

I long to see Top Gun on a giant screen with a big box of buttered popcorn. The IMAX Screen at the Paramount in Toronto would do it. The original Top Gun opened in Toronto at the University Theatre on Bloor Street in Toronto - the biggest screen in Canada. We saw it opening weekend, and it lived up to the hype. The flying/dogfights in this one are said to be even more spectacular.

It's French Open Season. 3 Canadians made it to the round of 16, 2 to the quarter-finals, and Layla Fernandez is through to the semi-finals and is the highest seeded woman left in the draw. The Jays are in 3rd place in the East, one game behind Tampa, and 5 and a half games back of the now slumping Yankees. My friends are chatting back and forth about all the sports and life in general. It helps keep me sane as the weather gets better and better.

The Landlord is appealing the County's work order, and the County has invited me to attend the hearing. They'll even arrange transportation for me to attend. With any evidence I might have.
What prompted the trip to the movies was reading some early reviews. And one guy commented that not only should the movie be seen, but it should be seen on the biggest screen possible with the best sound system. Due to circumstances no need to go into, we have a very nice 65" flat screen TV in our great room. But even that isn't like watching a movie in a theater.

There are so many new movies out there that do not merit--for us anyway--the time, trouble, expense to go see. We don't even watch them at home. Sloppy, ineffective editing, little or no character development, chopped up and muddled story lines, special effects and gratuitous violence and sex cover mediocre scripts and acting. I'm hoping Maverick will be the exception and maybe start a new trend in excellent movie scripts, acting, presentation.

Back from the movie and it was a really good both moving and funny movie. Well constructed and directed, the casting was brilliant, good acting, strong story line. If you aren't really familiar with the original Top Gun movie, I recommend you watch it or watch it again before seeing this sequel or otherwise you will miss a lot of the references and nuances in the new movie and it wouldn't evoke the same emotional responses. But I think those who recommended that it be seen on the big screen were right on. Just wouldn't be the same on the small screen.

My 95-year old aunt loves going to the movies. She enjoys all our movie days at our house on our big screen TV but she loves being in the theater with a massive screen, wraparound sound, all of it. So today we're taking her to "Top Gun: Maverick" at the theater. And I was just thinking how wonderful to be excited about going to see a movie at age 95. Inspiration for all of us.
Your post is so outta the park, Foxfyre. Thanks! :huddle: Home run!!!

Wish I could have heard your speech. *sigh* You've been a memorial rock in your community of brothers, SFC Ollie. You've taken care of their surviving families. Kudos always! There's always a home run when I come to the USMB Lounge and have the privilege of knowing there is a heaven because of the lovingkind people who come to Foxy's great coffeeshop lounge. Thanks for a window to the world of veterans who outreach the military families with thoughtful remembrance of their loved ones. :huddle:

Wish I could have heard your speech. *sigh* You've been a memorial rock in your community of brothers, SFC Ollie. You've taken care of their surviving families. Kudos always! There's always a home run when I come to the USMB Lounge and have the privilege of knowing there is a heaven because of the lovingkind people who come to Foxy's great coffeeshop lounge. Thanks for a window to the world of veterans who outreach the military families with thoughtful remembrance of their loved ones. :huddle:
Not really a speech I was the MC. welcomed the dignitaries and the citizens, Introduced the mayor and a paragraph introducing the Keynote speaker. Though I'm told my rendering of "In Flanders Fields" was pretty awesome.

Not really a speech I was the MC. welcomed the dignitaries and the citizens, Introduced the mayor and a paragraph introducing the Keynote speaker. Though I'm told my rendering of "In Flanders Fields" was pretty awesome.
Of all the poems I've read, Flanders Field is far and away my most loved. I bet you rendered the best ever recitation of John Macrea's most beloved artwork ever written.

Winner of the 2022 Captain Obvious Award:

A cup a day keeps the doctor away?

Mounting evidence shows caffeine lovers who drink coffee daily are less likely to die early compared to those who don’t, a new study suggests.

For seven years, Southern Medical University researchers in Guangzhou, China, studied the habits and overall health of over 171,000 people, who did not have cancer or chronic disease, in the UK.

Ultimately, they discovered that those who drank unsweetened coffee regularly were 15 to 21% less likely to die than the participants who didn’t. The study also found that people who drank between one and four cups of lightly sweetened coffee every day were 29 to 31% less likely to die.

The study was published Tuesday in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine.

Well sold the wife's old 2004 Prius to my neighbors across the street, I think it has around 200k miles on it and has been sitting for more than 2 years. Sold it to them for $500, probably could have gotten double that but it helps someone out and I wasn't using it. Not to mention the catalytic converter was stolen off of it May 17th. The brand new tires I put on it 2.5 years ago were flat and dry rotted but they filled up without bursting and when I hooked the battery pack to it it started right away.
They put used tires on it for $60 and ordered a catalytic converter for about a $120, great price. They said everything works fine and they like it even with the paint sealant peeling off so they got a heck of a deal. At least someone can use it. :thup:

Now I have a boat load of jewelry to get rid of, mostly cosmetic jewelry with a few more expensive pieces.

Well sold the wife's old 2004 Prius to my neighbors across the street, I think it has around 200k miles on it and has been sitting for more than 2 years. Sold it to them for $500, probably could have gotten double that but it helps someone out and I wasn't using it. Not to mention the catalytic converter was stolen off of it May 17th. The brand new tires I put on it 2.5 years ago were flat and dry rotted but they filled up without bursting and when I hooked the battery pack to it it started right away.
They put used tires on it for $60 and ordered a catalytic converter for about a $120, great price. They said everything works fine and they like it even with the paint sealant peeling off so they got a heck of a deal. At least someone can use it. :thup:

Now I have a boat load of jewelry to get rid of, mostly cosmetic jewelry with a few more expensive pieces.

You're a good man, friendo.

That reminds me of something I did. Two years after my husband passed, I kept welling up tears about a little lighted globe I gave him for his birthday after he retired. I left it unwrapped on purpose and handed it to him with the words, "You mean the world to me." I left it near his favorite tv lounge chair, and it was always lit up. I figured it was time to take it down to the Good Will center here and let someone else have it so I'd stop the tears from forming. Just a couple of days ago, I was at Good Will and saw that someone else had let go of a lighted world globe, so it went in the basket, although I had to wait until the lady putting it out quit finding the "right spot" to put it in. Crafty of me to wait, right? Yep. 10 mihnutes later I saw her put it on a high shelf and go about her other tasks. I grabbed it! Ruthless I was! Anyhow, I have the globe and will soon return it to the special place in the library corner of the den. I won't have to worry about tears with a different globe, just a little smaller than his was, but I will think of all the lovely memories he left me, because he always had a joke a day every morning before he left for work to make sure I had something to smile about all day. What a guy. I cry less and less, and it really is kind of warming to think about his selflessness in being the clown for me in such a dignified person that he was in all else. And I have a globe back to think about someone who meant the world to me for 44 years. :thup: Four years passed after giving his globe back, and getting a new one. The thoughts are all happy, no more tears. :thup:

You might want to see if a jewelry maker would be interested, especially in the costume jewelry. They use the pieces to fashion into their own creations.

Forum List

Back