US and the Holocaust - Ken Burns

This post is really straight out of the nazi playbook. Short on humanity, long on hate and lying.

The next holocaust is just a matter of time with characters like you around.

lol you commies kill more every day, yet you pretend you don't like Nazis. that's hilarious.

Who the hell is Rebecca Nicholson? Where do (foreign) lefties find this stuff? It isn't a review but rather a biased political opinion of a documentary of a historical era.

I know that we get these things some time after you but I havent seen a review of this on here.

I watched part one last night and it was a sobering look at the awful treatment of European Jews in the run up to the war.

It is done from an American pespective but I didnt see any nation emerging with credit from this.

Uncomfortable truths as well. How Polish anti semites were in lockstep with the nazis. How Hitler was inspired by Americaan policies.Genocide and racism being the chief of these.

I think the most depressing part for me is that we dont seem to have learned anything from this. The information is all out there but people are still dehumanised. There is still a fear of the "other". Crude propaganda tactics are still used by the haters. Life is still cheap.

Uncomfortable viewing but essential I think. The many Hitler fans on this site will be offended but that is no bad thing.

Nb Just as a counterpoint to any percieved US bashing. Sir Nicholas Winton was a british civil servant who organised the escape of jewish children from Prague after the nazis invaded.

He was a genuine hero of the war and his Kinder transport brought children to safety in Britain Under current UK tory legislation he would be arrested and charged with people smuggling. Thinngs get worse not better.
I saw it. You're right it is uncomfortable viewing. It's available on PBS in the US. When I was in Europe some years ago I visited Dachau. The wife and I were with friends in Munich and having a great time. My wife said she wanted to visit Dachau. I was against it but gave in. We could not find a tour and then someone told me it's not advertised, you have to ask for it. So we did. I regretted it because it really put a damper on the trip. You don't feel much like partying after visiting the the gas chamber, the crematory, the rooms where they picked gold filling from the copses, and the rooms they put the bodies of children in.

Last edited:
I saw it. You're right it is uncomfortable viewing. It's available on PBS in the US. When I was in Europe some years ago I visited Dachau. The wife and I were with friends in Munich and having a great time. My wife said she wanted to visit Dachau. I was against it but gave in. We could not find a tour and then someone told me it's not advertised, you have to ask for it. So we did. I regretted it because it really put a damper on the trip. You don't feel much like partying after visiting the the gas chamber, the crematory, the rooms where they picked gold filling from the copses, and the rooms they put the bodies of children in.
I watched the final part last night. Mrs Roosvelt comes out of it very well,

Its a disturbing piece of work.

The last Ken Burns doc I watched was on country music. Thiis was a different kettle of fish.

We should learn from these stories. But the sad thing is that we dont. This thread illustrates that.

I visited it too. They did a good job of making it into an historical museum.

They could have changed the name of the town though. :confused:

I visited it too. They did a good job of making it into an historical museum.

They could have changed the name of the town though. :confused:
I agree. Dachau, before the war was a major tourist destination, home of many famous writers, composers, and artist. Today it is best know as a bedroom community of Munich with 45,000 inhabitance. I wish we had visited the town but we didn't have the time.

And yet we let them in while other countries threw them out or just killed them...

So jealous of America, Tommy Titmouse's bias is out of control, but understandable:
He's from WAILS...
Not exactly. FDR wanted to let this ship land and bring its passengers to safety, but there were actual laws on the books at the time that prevented this. I'm not sure if FDR could have circumvented them or not, but I believe he couldn't. He is on record as saying so. It is in the documentary.

Not exactly. FDR wanted to let this ship land and bring its passengers to safety, but there were actual laws on the books at the time that prevented this. I'm not sure if FDR could have circumvented them or not, but I believe he couldn't. He is on record as saying so. It is in the documentary.

Thats a shocking story. At least some of them survived. I suppose

Ken Burns is a Moon Bat piece of shit.

He told the story of the Civil War mostly from the perspective of the Union bad guys.

His series on baseball was mostly about the goddamn Negroes.

His series on Vietnam was mostly from the perspective of the filthy ass antiwar weenies.

Fuck Ken Burns.

A ship.
We have welcomed Jews since before we were even a nation...

Ken Burns is a Moon Bat piece of shit.

He told the story of the Civil War mostly from the perspective of the Union bad guys.

His series on baseball was mostly about the goddamn Negroes.

His series on Vietnam was mostly from the perspective of the filthy ass antiwar weenies.

Fuck Ken Burns.
I don't think many viewers share your opinion. The Civil War was the most viewed series ever on PBS and it was awarded more than 40 television and film honors. I saw it and thought it was very well done and I was raised in South. I found the readings of the letters and journals of those who fought the war very interesting.

Saw the series on Baseball and it did not interest me. There was major coverage of blacks in baseball because blacks have been a major influence on major league baseball.

Did not see the one on Viet Nam

Last edited:
I don't think many viewers share your opinion. The Civil War was the most viewed series ever on PBS and it was awarded more than 40 television and film honors. I saw it and thought it was very well done and I was raised in South. I found the readings of the letters and journals of those who fought the war very interesting.

Saw the series on Baseball and it did not interest me. There was major coverage of blacks in baseball because blacks have been a major influence on major league baseball.

Did not see the one on Viet Nam

The series on the Civil War was mostly from the perspective of the Union. Yes it was well made and had a large viewership but it was very biased.

The baseball series had a lot more about race than was warranted for the history.

The one on Vietnam was basically anti war shit.

I thought the series on the Civil War (the war of northern aggression) was very interesting and filled in a lot of time line information for me. Yes, it was presented somewhat from the northern yankee's point of view. But over all I enjoyed the series.

The series about Baseball was very disappointing and should have been called History of Blacks in Baseball.

I agree the Vietnam series was sometimes skewed towards the anti-war leftist, especially in the later episodes. Which, accurately reflected the changing mood of the country in their support for the war. (upon discharge, for safety, we were told not to wear our uniform if using public transportation going home)
Vietnam war was extremely complicated on every level, and no matter how it's presented. People are going to be rubbed the way.
Overall I think the series did a good job trying to help the younger generation understand the ramifications and nuances of the war.

Last edited:
I thought the series on the Civil War (the war of northern aggression) was very interesting and filled in a lot of time line information for me. Yes, it was presented somewhat from the northern yankee's point of view. But over all I enjoyed the series.

The series about Baseball was very disappointing and should have been called History of Blacks in Baseball.

I agree the Vietnam series was sometimes skewed towards the anti-war leftist, especially in the later episodes. Which, accurately reflected the changing mood of the country. (upon discharge, for safety, we were told not to wear our uniform if using public transportation going home)
Vietnam war was extremely complicated on every level, and no matter how it's presented. People are going to be rubbed the way.
Overall I think the series did a good job trying to help the younger generation understand the war.
Maybe I shouldn't comment because I didn't see the Viet Nam series but it seems to me from a historical standpoint the most import aspect of the war was support or lack of it at home. I don't think we ever had a war before Viet Nam where there was so much opposition and controversy on the Homefront. So I would expect the opposition to the war would be a major part of the series.

Forum List

Back