Trane or Carrier furnace, ac and water heater.

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
We need a new ac, furnace and water heater. It's a replacement with all the same duct work.

What do you suggest? We are in MI. Cold are winters and hot are summers. The three cost us 11000.00 for the ac, furnace and water heater. One is with the furnace 96 efficiency and other is with the efficiency with of 80. Can you guess?

Last edited:
We need a new ac, furnace and water heater. It's a replacement with all the same duct work.

What do you suggest? We are in MI. Cold are winters and hot are summers.
If you want a water heater that lasts, make sure it has 2 magnesium rods in it. Talk to a plumber about that.

I don't know ... have you checked Consumer Reports? ... you'll pay for the information on-line, and it is a worthy cause to help fund ... or drive to your closest library and see if they have a subscription ... it's worth the extra 0.01% cost for an $11k project ... let me know if you want advice on selecting a contractor ...

I think all water heaters come with anodes anymore ... two rods if you have hard water ... and that's a maintenance item, these anode rods need replacing every few years ... depending of your water's hardness ...

What do you suggest? We are in MI. Cold are winters and hot are summers. The three cost us 11000.00 for the ac, furnace and water heater. One is with the furnace 96 efficiency and other is with the efficiency with of 80. Can you guess?

Go with a goodman pack unit with gas heat. They are carrier units without the name on the side....

American Standard. Look into heat pump technology.

I bought this GE GeoSpring Heat Pump Water Heater in 2009 during Obama's Green Stimulus after Republicans crashed the economy. Again.

The rebates were incredible, turning a $1500 purchase into around $250, plus I got months of rebates from my city's utilities for buying it. The only downside was that in order to get the rebates you had to get it professionally installed (which helped local businesses crushed by Republicans crashing the economy. Again.)

GE has stopped making this, but Rheem and others still do

I posted about this in 2017 in this thread. Here is what I wrote at the time:

Through that stimulus grant to my city I was able to purchase a new GE Hybrid energy water heater ($1430.00 at Lowes, now $899) and receive back from the city $1200.00 in credit on my energy bill, which meant I didn't get an electric bill for 5 months. Pretty great.​
One catch: I had to hire a local plumber to professionally install it. This was by design in the stimulus: stimulate business for local companies. They charged me an outrageous $400, but look what I got: professional installation and a new 50 gallon water heater that costs an EnergyGuide average of $198 per year instead of the $600-$800 per year with my old Kenmore. All for $630.​
And GE sold another cutting edge tech water heater. Helping their profits.​
And Lowes had another water heater sale. Helping their profits.​
And my local plumber had a $400 job on the books. Helping their profits.​
And that's the 2009 Stimulus Act in a nutshell.​

American Standard. Look into heat pump technology.
I bought this GE GeoSpring Heat Pump Water Heater in 2009 during Obama's Green Stimulus after Republicans crashed the economy. Again.

The rebates were incredible, turning a $1500 purchase into around $250, plus I got months of rebates from my city's utilities for buying it. The only downside was that in order to get the rebates you had to get it professionally installed (which helped local businesses crushed by Republicans crashing the economy. Again.)

GE has stopped making this, but Rheem and others still do

I posted about this in 2017 in this thread. Here is what I wrote at the time:

Through that stimulus grant to my city I was able to purchase a new GE Hybrid energy water heater ($1430.00 at Lowes, now $899) and receive back from the city $1200.00 in credit on my energy bill, which meant I didn't get an electric bill for 5 months. Pretty great.​
One catch: I had to hire a local plumber to professionally install it. This was by design in the stimulus: stimulate business for local companies. They charged me an outrageous $400, but look what I got: professional installation and a new 50 gallon water heater that costs an EnergyGuide average of $198 per year instead of the $600-$800 per year with my old Kenmore. All for $630.​
And GE sold another cutting edge tech water heater. Helping their profits.​
And Lowes had another water heater sale. Helping their profits.​
And my local plumber had a $400 job on the books. Helping their profits.​
And that's the 2009 Stimulus Act in a nutshell.​
In addition, once the temperature drops below 40-degrees, most heat pump systems lose their heating efficiency and must switch to emergency heat mode, which utilizes electric resistant heat strips that use more electricity.
-----------------------------
We have a lot of days in the winter when the temp drops under 40 degrees.
We have a Ruud, made by Rheem furnace it was put in in 1991. 31 years ago. There isn't a Rheem dealer down here. They packed up and moved away. Oh well. I already got prices from Trane and Carrier. We have to move on one or the other. Furnaces and AC 's sure when up in prices, it different from 31 years ago. They say they went up when Tramp made the deal with China, trade deal.

In addition, once the temperature drops below 40-degrees, most heat pump systems lose their heating efficiency and must switch to emergency heat mode, which utilizes electric resistant heat strips that use more electricity.
-----------------------------
We have a lot of days in the winter when the temp drops under 40 degrees.
We have a Ruud, made by Rheem furnace it was put in in 1991. 31 years ago. There isn't a Rheem dealer down here. They packed up and moved away. Oh well. I already got prices from Trane and Carrier. We have to move on one or the other. Furnaces and AC 's sure when up in prices, it different from 31 years ago. They say they went up when Tramp made the deal with China, trade deal.
If you can find a heat pump water heater it will save you a ton of money. I bought mine in 2009 and it's still going strong.

Your siglines? Trump pleaded the fifth this morning in NYC, to all questions.
:auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back