Include or Omit the Tax When Tipping?

• Include

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Omit

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tipping? Cows?

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
When you tip, do you tip on the total, or just on the food and drinks? In other words, do make your tip calculations without including the tax?

After twenty-five years, my wife just figured out that I omit the tax when calculating the tip. Why would anyone tip on the tax?
I usually do 20 percent of the total.

When you tip, do you tip on the total, or just on the food and drinks? In other words, do make your tip calculations without including the tax?

After twenty-five years, my wife just figured out that I omit the tax when calculating the tip. Why would anyone tip on the tax?
I don't tip on alcohol either. Ten dollar drinks and bottles of wine $30 and up--naw. It is getting to the point where I am reconsidering tipping at all--at $15 an hour, they are getting paid a living wage.

I do but not as much. Sometimes it feels like it's more of a Black Hand situation and I'm tipping to make sure that my food isn't screwed with next time.

I tip in cash based on quality of service.

Same here. Considering the cost of going out to eat nowdays, you can quite easily spend 100 to 150 bucks on a meal for two (if you're going somewhere nice), and somehow, I don't really feel that giving the server 20 to 35 dollars (20 percent) is necessarily required. I'm someone that really good servers love, and really bad servers hate. If I get really good service, I will make sure that the server gets some decent cash to show my appreciation, but if it's just regular service, a few bucks to say "thanks", but if you are a crappy server or have a bad attitude, you won't get squat from me. Some of my friends have asked me why I don't tip all the time, especially in light of the fact that I worked as a waiter/bartender for several years, and I tell them that I'm not expecting anything, and I do as good as I can. If they like it and tip, great. If not, I still got paid by the place I worked at. If a server wants a tip, they better be on top of their game with me. If they aren't? I won't tip period.

I tip 20% to 25% usually. I have left a few coins when service was really bad. But that is rare. I have tipped more when service is excellent.

I just take the total and figure the percentage.

Forum List

Back