Include or Omit the Tax When Tipping?

• Include

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Omit

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tipping? Cows?

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
1. I started ordering food delivery in 2020 because of the pandemic.

2. I am still ordering a lot of food that way.

3. I always tip at least a flat $15. I realize the drivers are doing me a favor.

4. In some cases, I tip $20 if the restaurant is considerably far from our home. (I realize how expensive gasoline is.)

5. We are not rich people, but I feel that if one can afford to order delivery of food, then s/he should be generous with tips, for the drivers depend on them to pay for their living costs.

I tip a twenty unless the service is lousy, or going to an expensive establishment.
I know, I know, it's stupid, but those employees work their ass off and so often
get chumped by a person who doesn't believe in tips.

I worked as a bartender in college.

I tip far more than is required unless I have a problem with the service.
I use cash, so there is never a problem with management, receipts, and tax calculations.

When you tip, do you tip on the total, or just on the food and drinks? In other words, do make your tip calculations without including the tax?

After twenty-five years, my wife just figured out that I omit the tax when calculating the tip. Why would anyone tip on the tax?
??

When I get a check from the Waitstaff, it never has a tax on it. That is added at the register.

I base My tip on the number on the check, not the one that rings up.

For some reason, I was thinking of tipping cows when I read this subject title. lol

And just FYI, you folks know that cow tipping not a real thing, right? Just something country folk told city folk. It doesn't happen.
Shit. Are you sure? Because that cow sure did looks surprised. :auiqs.jpg:

When you tip, do you tip on the total, or just on the food and drinks? In other words, do make your tip calculations without including the tax?

After twenty-five years, my wife just figured out that I omit the tax when calculating the tip. Why would anyone tip on the tax?

20% usually on total

I
Everywhere. Servers depend on tips for the main part of their wages. They do not make $15/hour
I posted a link in one of my earlier posts that show that to be false. The OP has also posted it. The left coast is paying servers much better than fed. minimum. In our county seat, a small rural town in WA, even McD's is paying starting employees $18-$20. I am surprised by how widespread the lower $2.13/hr server wage is in America though.

I

I posted a link in one of my earlier posts that show that to be false. The OP has also posted it. The left coast is paying servers much better than fed. minimum. In our county seat, a small rural town in WA, even McD's is paying starting employees $18-$20. I am surprised by how widespread the lower $2.13/hr server wage is in America though.

McDonalds has been forced to raise their wages to get workers. And the wages of a McDonalds worker does not really apply here. I am a generous tipper. But I have never tipped at McDonalds.

I'm just happy to see people showing up to a non-outsourceable job instead of looking for COVID-driven government check.

I don't worry about such penny-pinching math. I tip twenty-five to thirty percent of the bill if the service was good and twenty minimum if not so good. I guess I'm tipping on the tax as well; I never thought about it.

I also adjust that percent upward for Italian, Chinese and Tex-mex restaurants in Houston which have good food and good service at lower prices than other restaurants. The work is the same, bringing me a ten dollar plate of pasta or a thirty dollar steak and lobster.

I tip cash, often after giving a token tip on the credit card slip. I hope the servers pocket the cash and don't share with Uncle Sam.

Imagine a job in which your pay depended on smiling at people, no matter what kind of assholes they are, apologizing for things you did not control, laughing at jokes that you've heard over and over, all the while staying on your feet and carrying with one hand a tray loaded with up to four plates of food.

If you don't want to pay for that, go to a premium fast-food restaurant where you can eat good and not have to tip. Being served in a restaurant and not tipping is no better than walking out of a barber shop without paying.

Last edited:
At the place I used to work, everyone got paid minimum wage. If you were a server/bartender, you split tips with who was on your shift. That worked out well for the owner, as all of us would make sure the others were doing their job well so that we all went home with decent cash at the end of the night. However, sharing a shift with a lazy idiot on some nights sucked, as I would do most of the work, and they would rake in a share of the tips I earned because they didn't get tipped as they were crappy servers. But, that wasn't too much of a problem, because if someone was a lazy idiot, the other servers would talk with the owner about it, and the idiot would soon be looking for another job.

Maybe that is why the bar/restaurant did so well, because the food was pretty good and the service was usually excellent.
I knew a guy in the Army, who hated Playboy bunnies, like "f#%& those skank b!#$#es!" He was a buss boy at a Playboy club and he said they always cheated him on the tip share. I'm sure the bunnies figured they were the ones shaking their boobies and dodging the gropers, while he just picked up dishes and wiped the table.

Not saying the bunnies were in the right, but he always had the option to buss somewhere else.

I

Fair enough--I guess this is only one example of the vast regional differences here in the USA. Here in the midwest it has been the case since I have been a teen waitress that servers make well, well below minimum wage and are expected to make up the difference (and more) in tips.

Forum List

Back