There should be more restrictions on what poor people can buy with food stamps.

Well then preventing the purchase of candy and soda with EBT would fit right into how we already do things.
Yes. Your kind of meddling is very much the way "we already do things". It's why they're so fucked up.

Don't get me going on government lotteries...they prey on the poor's desperation and should be OUTLAWED! And it used to be illegal in Oregon before greedy government hacks LIED and tricked people into amending the state Constitution. Government promised to give every dollar of lotto revenue to schools. Which they did...wait for it...then they reduced existing school funding from the general fund by the same amount and had a spending party with the lotto revenue.
Think that has happened in many states.

So I have a question.

WIC only allows the purchase of a few different items. I forget what all it is, but it's basically just milk, bread, eggs and cheese. Is that the government being authoritarian? Those moms can't buy a bag of candy with that money. Is that wrong? Should they be able to spend that on whatever "food" they want?

What about not allowing EBT to buy hot food items? Is that authoritarian?

First learn the difference

WIC: The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children helps prevent or decrease premature births by supplementing the diets of pregnant women. It is also available to mothers of infants and children up to age five. WIC pays for essential items like milk, eggs and baby formula.

Households CAN use food stamp benefits to buy:
• all food intended to be eaten at home. This includes the
four staple food categories mentioned earlier as well as
nonalcoholic beverages, snack foods, soft drinks, candy,
and ice.

Yes. Your kind of meddling is very much the way "we already do things". It's why they're so fucked up.
You live in one of the best countries on Earth. You're likely one of the most comfortable people that has ever lived when comparing your life to everybody else around the world and to those that came before you. Show a little gratitude. It's really not that bad here.

First learn the difference

WIC: The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children helps prevent or decrease premature births by supplementing the diets of pregnant women. It is also available to mothers of infants and children up to age five. WIC pays for essential items like milk, eggs and baby formula.

Households CAN use food stamp benefits to buy:
• all food intended to be eaten at home. This includes the
four staple food categories mentioned earlier as well as
nonalcoholic beverages, snack foods, soft drinks, candy,
and ice.
I'm aware of the difference. The difference was the foundation of the point I made.

You live in one of the best countries on Earth. You're likely one of the most comfortable people that has ever lived when comparing your life to everybody else around the world and to those that came before you. Show a little gratitude. It's really not that bad here.
The "haves" say that. The "have nots" are told to stop complaining.

We don't teach "parental playbooks", and often the next generation is on their own to learn from square one. We don't have extended families where grandma can pass on parental skills.
Oh there’s been a well known “playbook” out for a few decades now, for women during pregnancy and beyond covering first years of development. I found it helpful for information relative to pregnancy. I’ve lost the name but it’s out there in most libraries and still sold at various bookstands.

If I'm going to be buying dinner for the poor I think I should have a say in what's acceptable to buy and what's not. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to buy steak or anything nice, but I do think they shouldn't be able to buy a bunch of chips, soda and candy. There's an obesity epidemic in the country, particularly among the poor, and I don't want my money to make it worse. With my taxed income I want people to be buying healthy foods that help facilitate healthy lifestyles. If people are really in such rough shape that they need that kind of help they should be more than happy to just buy the things they actually need with it.

I thought you right wing clowns were opposed to having other people tell you how to live your life. Now you want to tell women they have to have babies if they get pregnant, even if they're raped, or a victim of incest, without health insurance, because they'll be fired for being pregnant and lose their health insurance, and possibly be evicted without a job or means of supporting themselves.

Now you want to tell poor people what to eat, without ensuring healthy groceries stories, selling low priced fresh meat and produce, in every neighbourhood.

I thought you right wing clowns were opposed to having other people tell you how to live your life.
I support universal healthcare. I also think we should be desperately fighting to lower the cost of education for young people. Oh, and I'm pro-choice. Am I still a right wing clown, or are you just a partisan moron?

I'm aware of the difference. The difference was the foundation of the point I made.

Then you did a piss poor job making that point.

So I have a question.

WIC only allows the purchase of a few different items. I forget what all it is, but it's basically just milk, bread, eggs and cheese. Is that the government being authoritarian? Those moms can't buy a bag of candy with that money. Is that wrong? Should they be able to spend that on whatever "food" they want?

What about not allowing EBT to buy hot food items? Is that authoritarian?

As I said, WIC is a special program, not related to SNAP, both of which are administered via EBT.

I don't care what they spend the money on. In fact, if we allowed them to but more non-food items, perhaps then shoplifting wouldn't be so rampant. I wish they were more proactive, however, in identifying and prosecuting the people who convert the food stamps to cash for recipients.

Oh there’s been a well known “playbook” out for a few decades now, for women during pregnancy and beyond covering first years of development. I found it helpful for information relative to pregnancy. I’ve lost the name but it’s out there in most libraries and still sold at various bookstands.
Thank you Dr. Spock.

Live long and prosper.

I’ve been saying the exact same thing for a while now.

I see no reason for the government to supply people with free Skittles, Pepsi, and Cheetos.

The left and right will disagree on the value of food stamps in general, but I think this is something that both sides should easily agree on.

The left argues that we need to help people in need. The right argues that we create dependency by giving things out. If we eliminate junk food from their food stamps, we make that population healthier and we give them an incentive to get off food stamps. That’s a win-win.

We’ll only provide you with basic sustenance: bread, cheese, milk, eggs, water, meat, rice, beans, fruits, vegetables, etc. And you can’t have that Snickers bar unless you use your OWN money.

I used to work in a grocery store. This would be incredibly easy to implement. It would just take a few strokes on the computer to indicate what can be purchased with food stamps. The system is already in place, people can’t buy a lot of things with food stamps, we just need to add all junk food to that.

Doctor Benjamin Spock put out the handbook on pregnancy and motherhood when I was having babies. When it was revealed that Dr. Spock was a "liberal", he was summarily vilified by the religious right for opposing spanking, or any physical punishment of children, and blamed for the spoilt rotten Baby Boomers and their horrifically over indulged children.

Forum List

Back