There should be more restrictions on what poor people can buy with food stamps.

They already have restrictions on EBT. Also nobody was forced to apply for food stamps.

We were all forced to pay for programs like food stamps. And now you want to force people to jump through hoops to use the programs they paid for.

As did a good friend of mine and she worked her way out needing the assistance within 18 months. She has always been a good mom, and when on government assistance bought mostly healthy choices for herself and her kids. It wouldn’t have been anyone’s business what she chose to buy for herself besides lottery tickets shouldn’t be bought, at least I don’t think so personally, but when it comes to kids that is a separate matter to consider and I hope social services continue to treat kids as Main priority.
Don't get me going on government lotteries...they prey on the poor's desperation and should be OUTLAWED! And it used to be illegal in Oregon before greedy government hacks LIED and tricked people into amending the state Constitution. Government promised to give every dollar of lotto revenue to schools. Which they did...wait for it...then they reduced existing school funding from the general fund by the same amount and had a spending party with the lotto revenue.

. Okay, do I think all people on food stamps act this way? No, no two people act alike. What it supports? There are adults who do not deserve to be parents, but because of the fact that they are “parents”, the needs of those kids should be primary concern to be tweaked via social services to result in a better diet.
Maybe you don't know how hard it is to make a child eat healthy. Give a kid a cookie and they're happy. Give them a carrot and you have a crying kid on your hands. It takes time and effort to make something children will eat, and big business knows they have children hooked on sugar (actually High fructose corn syrup).

I'm not even talking about abuse. We allow people to buy extremely unhealthy food items on the public dime.
LOL like people not on assistance do it any different? I tell you what, first get the rest of the population to stop buying this junk then you can dictate to the poor.

We were all forced to pay for programs like food stamps. And now you want to force people to jump through hoops to use the programs they paid for.
Maybe they'll thank me when they lose some weight and are actually capable of jumping through a hoop.

Anyway...

I don't think there's anywhere else for this to go. Neither of us will get through to the other.

But direct gov distribution saved a ton of money.
It provided a farm subsidy that did not being down food prices for those who were not having financial problems.
But it did ensure proper nutrition.
In the recession of the 50s, we particularly learned to like the bran muffin recipe.
Then, why did they quit?

They have already pushed rules onto retailers. They can't buy hot items or non-food items. Candy and coke could just be classified as non-purchasable items. It wouldn't be perfect, and it wouldn't have to be to make an impact. Hell, even if only Walmart did it it'd make a difference.
You know, I think there is a little room for compromise on this.

I definitely don't think buying Halloween, Christmas, or Easter Candy should not be allowed with SNAP benefits.

I see that every year, and that is a huge amount of waste, abuse and fraud, IMO.

The big brands of soda pop should probably be a no no too.

. . .

Maybe they'll thank me when they lose some weight and are actually capable of jumping through a hoop.
Or, maybe they'll rebel and slit your throat. It's roll of the dice I suppose.
I don't think there's anywhere else for this to go. Neither of us will get through to the other.
Agreed. I respect individual rights and limited government power. You don't.

One thing you all need to understand is...it really SUCKS to be poor. When you see a poor person buy a $8 coffee or some indulgence try to understand how most of their life blows. I don't begrudge them the occasional temporary escape from their poverty reality.

People on welfare didn't take your money. The government did. You're blaming the victim.
Without researching the numbers there are a whole lot more “victims” as you say (even though I don’t like that term victim since we’re not referencing a crime) compared to scammers. People can choose to embrace victimhood or we can choose to commit to doing what it takes to improve our situation.

Most people with physical and mental disabilities need government assistance hands-down. It’s important to separate those in long-term need from those who are in a temporary situation, for instance loss of job. Relatedly, effective cut-off dates of temporary assistance that does not involve excessive payouts to not work.

I definitely don't think buying Halloween, Christmas, or Easter Candy should be allowed with SNAP benefits should be allowed.

I see that every year, and that is a huge amount of waste, abuse and fraud, IMO.

The big brands of soda pop should probably be a no no too.
This kind of shit is literally all I am talking about. I've been to the store and I've seen people purchase with EBT. Not everybody is the same, but there sure are a whole lot of very unhealthy people loading up on very unhealthy food for themselves and their children. I don't want to restrict the shit out of it. I just think maybe coke and candy should not be purchasable with taxpayer funds.

Anyway...

Of course not....There's no getting through to a naive rube, who can't even recognize his own condescension and refusal to take stock of the further implications of what he's saying.

You're a Randian antagonist, ripped straight from the pages of Atlas Shrugged. :uhoh3:

Forum List

Back